PDA

View Full Version : Culture in Bangkok

StevieWonders
November 28th, 2019, 07:37
I got my 60 day visa organised and I arrive in Bangkok on Sunday. Can anyone who lives in Bangkok tell me about any Western cultural activities at that time? For example is there a performance of The Messiah? What about orchestras or ballet? I know lots of us old queens are interested in The Arts so I hope some amongst you can help me with this.

If I get slapped down for putting this in the wrong Forum because its not "gay" enough I guess someone will fix it for me.

dinagam
November 28th, 2019, 08:11
I know lots of us old queens are interested in The Arts...

We are not amused.

Smiles
November 28th, 2019, 10:28
A bit late in the year, but you might find something interesting here: https://www.operasiam.com/
Looks like there is a New Year Concert in December.

Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra has a number of concerts in December: https://www.thailandphil.com/events/

From the looks of it 'Bangkok Festivals' have a very full line up ... but unfortunately not in December 2019!
Might be a good idea to keep this link just in case you come in a number of months that are NOT in December. http://www.bangkokfestivals.com/en/press-release-2019/

alipatt
November 28th, 2019, 10:29
Try going to Siam niramit I have had envolvment in musical theatre for too long but throughly enjoyed this

frequent
November 28th, 2019, 11:23
A bit late in the year, but you might find something interesting here: https://www.operasiam.com/
Looks like there is a New Year Concert in December.

Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra has a number of concerts in December: https://www.thailandphil.com/events/

From the looks of it 'Bangkok Festivals' have a very full line up ... but unfortunately not in December 2019!
Might be a good idea to keep this link just in case you come in a number of months that are NOT in December. http://www.bangkokfestivals.com/en/press-release-2019/He does say he's here for 60 days so there may be something in January for him. No Messiah though :blush:

I've always thought one of Monteverdi's later operatic works might be particularly apposite but I fear that's unlikely to happen. As for the Thailand Philharmonic - if you go you'll find almost every elderly white male in the audience is "family" - or at least they were when I went to the performance of Mahler's Sixth a few weeks ago - so it may be possible to make some local chums if you're not backward about being thought forward. Don't confuse the Thailand Philharmonic with the Siam Philharmonic - they're fiercely territorial, and the TP performs on Saturday afternoons at Prince Mahidol University which is, comparatively, out in the sticks. I'll leave you to figure out from their web sites why that might be

latintopxxx
November 28th, 2019, 12:44
....eh...people fly to thailand for the culture....really??...like western culture...I gotta stop drinking spirits before noon...

frequent
November 28th, 2019, 13:00
....eh...people fly to thailand for the culture....really??...like western culture...I gotta stop drinking spirits before noon...I think you'll find even in faraway New Zealand that the Thais there have a vibrant local community that celebrates their Thai culture. And what do you think is the cultural role of every Chinatown around the world? You have only to read some recent travel reports in this Forum to realise that most Westerners are here for the sex, nothing more, nothing less. To suggest otherwise is to belong to the "I only read Playboy for the articles" school of (self-)deception

I do realise however that such Western cultural activities are elitist (and I'm nothing if not an elitist) so not for the Forum hoi polloi such as yourself (to name but one)

Moses
November 28th, 2019, 13:03
....eh...people fly to thailand for the culture....really??...like western culture...I gotta stop drinking spirits before noon...

Why not? Westerners are nowadays just a small slice of inbound tourists hordes:

arsenal
November 28th, 2019, 16:42
"I went to the performance of Mahler's Sixth a few weeks ago"

OAP concession ticket?

frequent
November 28th, 2019, 16:55
"I went to the performance of Mahler's Sixth a few weeks ago". OAP concession ticket?Freebie. I'm fucking two of the Second Violins

bkkguy
November 28th, 2019, 18:39
is there a performance of The Messiah?

I'm sure I heard The Messiah over the loudspeakers at CentralWorld the other day, followed by a rousing rendition of that Thai classic Jinger Ben - the malls are a great source of kulture at this time of year!

Marsilius
November 28th, 2019, 21:21
"I went to the performance of Mahler's Sixth a few weeks ago"

OAP concession ticket?

Mahler's sixth symphony would not be a good choice for an OAP. Its last movement is famous for its three musical "hammer blows". Frau Mahler recollected that her husband was using them to depict the way in which life deals a series of massive blows to any individual, with the last of them being the one that "fells him like a tree". Such an intimation of mortality might be enough to finish a sensitive oldie off.

frequent
November 28th, 2019, 21:38
Frau Mahler recollected that her husband was using them to depict the way in which life deals a series of massive blows to any individual, with the last of them being the one that "fells him like a tree".Would that perhaps be akin to finding a despised individual had begun posting comments in a Forum thread you had started and considered to be your exclusive property? Asking for a friend

arsenal
November 29th, 2019, 00:25
"Mahler's sixth symphony would not be a good choice for an OAP. Its last movement "

One of our OAPs here probably has trouble with every movement which explains a lot.

Brad the Impala
November 29th, 2019, 13:45
Of course! We wouldn't want "Culture" cluttering up such a vibrant forum.

It's also normal to add a link to the new location, when moving threads.

frequent
November 29th, 2019, 13:54
Of course! We wouldn't want "Culture" cluttering up such a vibrant forum. Once upon a time "Gay Thailand" meant Gay+Thailand, nowadays anything about Thailand that isn't specifically "gay" gets shunted off to "Everything Else"

Moses
November 30th, 2019, 02:18
Thread reverted to "old" place.

Sometimes border btw threads devoted to "just about Thailand" and "just about Thailand but usable for gays" is too thin. Like that case. I think this thread is usable for gays and should stay in GT forum. Sorry for intervention.

StevieWonders
November 30th, 2019, 07:34
Thanks to all those who made helpful comments and to Moses for keeping the thread here. Arriving tomorrow. Woohoo.

Oliver2
November 30th, 2019, 14:40
I'd be interested to hear from frequent whether the Bangkok performance of Mahler 6 had two or three hammer-blows in the finale.

frequent
November 30th, 2019, 15:32
I'd be interested to hear from frequent whether the Bangkok performance of Mahler 6 had two or three hammer-blows in the finale. Even though it was the only work on the programme and is usually played straight through without interruption, for some reason and unannounced in advance there was an interval which for me completely destroyed the mood. I sat it out so I'm unable to answer your question

dinagam
November 30th, 2019, 16:30
,.. for some reason and unannounced in advance there was an interval which for me completely destroyed the mood. I sat it out so I'm unable to answer your question

Do not despair.
Your weekly facial with the naughty Burmese chap is due Sunday afternoon.

frequent
November 30th, 2019, 16:35
Do not despair. Your weekly facial with the naughty Burmese chap is due Sunday afternoon.Not true - I'm busy helping Olly plan the Palestine Gay Pride March 2020 all afternoon

Oliver2
December 1st, 2019, 15:54
Thanks frequent. I look forward to seeing you as a member of the Pattaya Faction of Gay Revolutionaries.
However,I'm not needed as an organiser; its arranged by others in the gay community. Very well-received by onlookers, too.. There's an active group fighting Pink-Washing here in London. You can see us at the annual Gay Pride marches in London. Plenty of Palestinian and Rainbow flags are always on display. Next year I'm taking my PFLP one....just received from a comrade in Ramallah. Rather battle-scarred, I'm afraid, but all the more poignant for that.
We announced ourselves as a group to be reckoned with when (about ten years ago) Tel Aviv was named as Gay City of the Year...or something like that. It was announced at the end of the march in Trafalgar Square and was received by a chorus of boos and hundreds of Palestinian flags being raised in the air. An Israeli singer on the stage was astonished.
He learnt something about Londoners that day. Just as Trump will on Tuesday....if he didn't already know.

frequent
December 1st, 2019, 17:40
There's an active group fighting Pink-Washing here in London. You can see us at the annual Gay Pride marches in London. Plenty of Palestinian and Rainbow flags are always on display. Next year I'm taking my PFLP one....just received from a comrade in Ramallah.
No Palestine Gay Pride actually in Palestine then? All rather gutless

bkkguy
December 1st, 2019, 18:51
No Palestine Gay Pride actually in Palestine then?
no but there is a Gay Pride Palestine, it is organised by The Palestine Popular Front for Liberation (PPFL) , a splinter group that broke away from the PFLP in Tel Aviv 10 years ago and is aligned I think with the Judean People's Front - not to be confused with the FPLP splinter group which is aligned with the Peoples Front of Judea? or is that the Judean People’s Popular Front?

it is all too confusing, and they are all just a bunch of naughty boys anyway!

christianpfc
December 8th, 2019, 20:24
BACC (Bangkok Art and Culture Center)
MOCA (Museum of contemporary art)
and you are lucky, there are German language movies for free in Goethe institute in Dec-Jan-Feb every year, and I assume other embassies or cultural institutes have similar events.
And there will be Bangkok Street Festival and Thailand Tourism Festival in Lumpini park in January.

latintopxxx
December 9th, 2019, 08:17
i much prefer the highly cultural shows held nightly at the gogo bars