PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Rai visit

Leonardo691
November 25th, 2019, 17:00
I am heading to Chiang Rai in February for a week. Any suggestions for gay activities there. Are there any?

Brad the Impala
November 25th, 2019, 20:13
Found a very handsome and obliging local masseur on Gay Romeo.

One of my favourite places in Thailand is a restaurant by the river. Chivit Thamma Da. http://www.chivitthammada.com

Oliver2
November 25th, 2019, 21:29
There used to be a bar near the Wangcome Hotel, not far from the Night Market-IMHO the best in Thailand. I'm not sure if it still survives. We were in CR a year ago and saw no signs of a commercial scene. Maybe the sites are more active.

BOY69
November 25th, 2019, 23:08
As far as I know no commercial gay scene in Chiang Rai , I read somewhere that used to be few gay go go bars many years ago but they gone.

llz
November 26th, 2019, 03:33
There used to be a bar near the Wangcome Hotel, not far from the Night Market-IMHO the best in Thailand. I'm not sure if it still survives. We were in CR a year ago and saw no signs of a commercial scene. Maybe the sites are more active.

Regency Bar is the name of the bar and was still open one year ago.

Mancs
November 26th, 2019, 05:10
A google reviewer said there were no other customers at Regency Bar 2 weeks ago so it seems to be still open. I think it was the same bar I went to a few years ago. I was the only customer. It was a host bar with about 7 young men, two of whom started dancing on a mini stage when I went in. I was the centre of attention. I took off a very pleasant young man and had a good time.

Oliver2
November 26th, 2019, 13:50
As a foot-note to the above may I recommend some of the day-trips from Chaing Rai? Mae Salong, Chang Saen and the Golden Triangle and Mai Sai are our favourites.

Manforallseasons
November 26th, 2019, 22:08
If you are not planning to go outside of Chiangmai Rai a long weekend is enough.

Mancs
November 27th, 2019, 05:18
Not of gay interest, apart from handsome young men around, but the day shopping trip to Myanmar at Mae Sai is worth doing, especially if one has never been to Myanmar.

frequent
November 27th, 2019, 09:47
Not of gay interest ... but the day shopping trip ...I've always understood retail therapy to be an integral part of the "gay identity"

Oliver2
November 27th, 2019, 13:41
I agree with Mancs....I find border towns of any description fascinating. I like the bridge and observing the movement of people and goods. And Mae Sai has some interesting shops too.

Captain Swing
November 27th, 2019, 15:15
Not of gay interest, apart from handsome young men around, but the day shopping trip to Myanmar at Mae Sai is worth doing, especially if one has never been to Myanmar.

I hear there's a cave near Mae Sai that might provide an interesting adventure.

AsDaRa
November 27th, 2019, 16:14
And what about a fairy tale looking white temple not far from Chiang Rai?

Oliver2
November 27th, 2019, 16:54
Sorry....I can't stand it; kitsch! Thailand's Disney World. P loves it though and it's worth looking at, even if you have the same reaction as me.

bkkguy
November 27th, 2019, 18:27
I hear there's a cave near Mae Sai that might provide an interesting adventure.

more interesting when it rains I hear

Andaman!
December 2nd, 2019, 08:00
Regency Bar is the name of the bar and was still open one year ago.

Still open - 5 guys in the bar and no other customers when I arrived and two more guys arrived later. 3 were playing cards and showed no interest in anything else. Of the others, three were too super-twinky and the fourth had a gorgeous tight manly body and was sooooo cute but was not available to be offed due to starting work at 0500 next morning. Lady behind the bar said off fee was THB 300 and tip for long time THB 1,000.

BonTong
December 3rd, 2019, 10:54
Ah, the memories of Chiang Rai! Some year's ago we stopped by the old Lobos bar with a few friends (mixed Farang and Thai). It was a slow night; we bought plenty of whiskey and persuaded the Mamasan to lock the door. Once we got the handful of mountain boys who were there sufficiently "warmed up" they put on quite a show. A memorable evening. :)) :))

Last time I went to Regency it was about as described above.

christianpfc
December 7th, 2019, 15:03
Regency is the only gay bar in Thailand I haven't been to, until recently (Mon2dec2019). Still open 5 boys and no other customer during my stay. One boy I would take for free.

sglad
December 16th, 2019, 01:22
As a foot-note to the above may I recommend some of the day-trips from Chaing Rai? Mae Salong, Chang Saen and the Golden Triangle and Mai Sai are our favourites.

I second this especially if you're going during the cool season. Must bring boyfriend or that special someone for plenty of spooning under the blankets!

sglad
December 16th, 2019, 01:34

The Burmese town at the border is Tachilek, not Mae Sai. Mae Sai is on the Thai side.

Nothing interesting about either town unless you're interested in cheap trinklets and knock offs from China. I like the dried fruits (real fruits, not gay farang from Pattaya) but you can get them for the same price or less from Kaad Luang in Chiang Mai. If you're adventurous, you might want to try some of the Burmese snacks and fritters. There's one that's like deep fried tofu that comes with a rich coconut-based (?) dip which I really like.

Warning: Mae Sai and Tachilek get scorching hot during the summer months. I mean really hot.

sglad
December 16th, 2019, 01:59
Sorry....I can't stand it; kitsch! Thailand's Disney World. P loves it though and it's worth looking at, even if you have the same reaction as me.

Wat Rong Khun or the White Temple is definitely worth a visit. It is an art exhibit designed in the style of a Buddhist temple. And if you have the time, you might also want to check out Baan Dam or Black House which is another art exhibit/residence designed in the style of a temple by artist Thawan Duchanee.

frequent
December 16th, 2019, 03:30
The Burmese town at the border is Tachilek, not Mae Sai. Mae Sai is on the Thai side.

Nothing interesting about either town unless you're interested in cheap trinklets and knock offs from China. I like the dried fruits (real fruits, not gay farang from Pattaya) but you can get them for the same price or less from Kaad Luang in Chiang Mai. If you're adventurous, you might want to try some of the Burmese snacks and fritters. There's one that's like deep fried tofu that comes with a rich coconut-based (?) dip which I really like.

Warning: Mae Sai and Tachilek get scorching hot during the summer months. I mean really hot.I think we’re all in awe at the detailed knowledge shown by a 20-something Singaporean who once spent a couple of months in Thailand

sglad
December 16th, 2019, 13:15
I think we’re all in awe at the detailed knowledge shown by a 20-something Singaporean who once spent a couple of months in Thailand

The fact that I, who've spent a total of sixteen months in Thailand to-date , twelve of them in the north and mostly interacting with Thai people, am able to write with nuance and detail, capturing the sights, sounds and smells of the places that I've visited, should come as no surprise.

What is surprising is that you, who claim to have lived in Thailand for thirty years, can only offer a (typically) snide, irrelevant and inaccurate remark about shopping being a part of the gay identity in a thread about Chiang Rai, one of the most visited and culturally diverse provinces in Thailand. I guess you need to stick your head in every thread to remain "visible". So needy.

frequent
December 16th, 2019, 14:26
The fact that I, who've spent a total of sixteen months in Thailand to-date , twelve of them in the north and mostly interacting with Thai people, am able to write with nuance and detail, capturing the sights, sounds and smells of the places that I've visited, should come as no surprise.

What is surprising is that you, who claim to have lived in Thailand for thirty years, can only offer a (typically) snide, irrelevant and inaccurate remark about shopping being a part of the gay identity in a thread about Chiang Rai, one of the most visited and culturally diverse provinces in Thailand. I guess you need to stick your head in every thread to remain "visible". So needy.

https://youtu.be/wcPTdpDZFks

Oliver2
December 16th, 2019, 21:40
Anyone visiting Chiang Rai shouldn't miss the torturous but stunningly beautiful drive to Mai Sai, an ethnically-Chinese town with a fascinating history.

dab69
December 20th, 2019, 18:37
Wat Rong Khun or the White Temple is definitely worth a visit. It is an art exhibit designed in the style of a Buddhist temple. And if you have the time, you might also want to check out Baan Dam or Black House which is another art exhibit/residence designed in the style of a temple by artist Thawan Duchanee.

Black House/White Temple

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/black-temple

https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/black-house-chiang-rai-thailand/

https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/white-temple-chiang-rai-a-photo-essay/

christianpfc
December 21st, 2019, 18:06
Not just White Temple and Black House Museum, recently (2 years ago?), a blue temple in town opened, and the 9 tiered temple out of town got an additional Guan Im statue, the tallest in Thailand, completed.

(In town / out of town is important to people for me who prefer walking or public transport. The blue temple can be reached by walking, all others attractions mentioned in this post are too far to walk. White Temple and Black House Museum are on main road and easily accessed by public transport.)