PDA

View Full Version : Thai Name Change?

Captain Swing
October 30th, 2019, 09:51
Five or so years ago my longtime (15 years) BF and I drifted apart-- no big breakup, but we stopped communicating. I continued to look at his Facebook page, just to keep tabs (in a non-stalker way) on what he was up to. Two or so years ago he changed his name--not nickname or Facebook name but full name. He went to Korea for a short visit and posted a picture of his passport, showing his new name, so it was apparently an official change. I couldn't imagine what this was all about, but as it was really none of my business I didn't try to contact him to ask, but continued to be very curious. Yesterday, out of the blue, he called me, and in the course of a long, friendly, cordial conversation he told me that a monk had told him to change his name to bring him good luck. I asked if it worked and he laughed and said "About the same." I wonder if this is a common thing. Do many Thais do this? (He's in his late thirties and very intelligent--religious to an average extent but no fool). I think frankly that it's a very irresponsible thing for a monk to do, to convince someone to make such a major change in his life just for the sake of superstition (not really religion, as I see it). Has anyone heard of a Thai person doing this? It's done now, and I wouldn't think of questioning it if I talk to him again, but I'm just wondering.

mahjongguy
October 30th, 2019, 11:27
Changing one's name is very common here. It's also quick and easy.

My partner was given a name that was reasonably common but most commonly given to girls. You can guess how that effected his early years in school.

So as soon as he turned 15yo he bicycled to the amphur and changed his first name to something plain vanilla but definitely male. By coincidence, at about the same time, there was a big border skirmish, with artillery shells coming over from Cambodia, so he was sent off to finish school in another district.

In the end maybe it didn't matter too much, as he learned that the best way to respond to bullies is to just get right up in their face.

mahjongguy
October 30th, 2019, 11:28
duplicated by server

frequent
October 30th, 2019, 11:28
Has anyone heard of a Thai person doing this? It's done now, and I wouldn't think of questioning it if I talk to him again, but I'm just wondering.Yes. I couldn't say how common it is (and frankly couldn't care less) but I personally know of two Thais who changed their first name but not their family name. One even changed his name twice; the first time in order to mark going abroad, the second time because he had gained permanent residence abroad and wanted a short anglicised name in his new passport

Smiles
October 30th, 2019, 11:45
Thais change their names all the time. It's rather rare in western countries and farangs find it quite weird.
My old man changed his name about 6 or 7 years ago ... one day his name was 'Suphot' (nick name 'Pot'), the next day he was 'Kittiphot'. .. (nick name still 'Pot').
Normally the change is to just to the given name while keeping the family name, but that's not always the case: his brother changed both given and family names. Mama was not amused.
From what I understand the main reason for the name change is mostly about the Thai person's self-esteem, or lack thereof.
And then there's always the ubiquitous Thai "good luck" concept which permeates Thai culture. I.E. If one has received no luck in the world by the time he's reached 40, he might well change his name to one more auspicious.

Regarding Pot's name change he told me his given name was ~ in his mind ~ not "strong" or "masculine" enough. For instance, if one's a name which is something like a 'lucky flower' the Thai man might decide to change it to 'Golden Eagle': the original name being 'soft' while the new name is more 'strong'.
Women change their names as well, but it's not quite as prevalent.

The whole rigmarole takes some time as they have to go to various government offices to make the change, also to banks and utilities. Takes a while . . . and rather nonsensical really as all his friends still call him 'Suphot'. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Smiles
October 30th, 2019, 13:06
Snotface should seriously give thought to changing his board name. At it is now it is too slippery by a mile, and somewhat feminine.
A poll perhaps?

BOY69
October 30th, 2019, 13:45
Almost every Thai has a nickname which they use I wonder why they bother to change their real name ...

Oliver2
October 30th, 2019, 14:44
It certainly seemed odd to me when P changed his name- though not his nickname- about twelve years ago. I asked him whether his parents were offended- after all, they had chosen it - but he laughed and said not al all. As it happens, I preferred his previous name which, translated , meant "bright" or "shining". I remain unable to translate his new one to my satisfaction...it has some arcane religious connotation.
One of his friends apparently gave himself a new nickname about ten years ago; within his family, he's known by his previous one.

Chuai-Duai
October 30th, 2019, 15:20
A couple of years ago a masseur I knew in Pattaya gave up his job and moved to Chiang Mai. His was making a new start so he changed his name at the same time. I still use his original nickname but use his new surname which doesn't seem to be a problem.

Someone else I know made up a new nickname for himself that doesn't mean anything and is probably unique. He had a problem when he started meeting Farang as he had no idea how to spell it in English so it varies according to which version he's happiest with at the time. His mother still uses his old nickname.

gerefan2
October 30th, 2019, 17:03
My other half changed is first name to something that sounded similar but clearly wasn’t. I assumed it was something nefarious. He still uses the original name in conversation.

Nirish guy
October 30th, 2019, 17:17
A thai bar boy / friend of mine uses at least 3 different first names (that I know of) and at least another 3 nick names it seems too.

I get the impression that the change of first names may well have been to hide his identity from the police / other Thai people at some point for some reason and the whole "good luck" thing was again him just telling me "what we thought I expected / wanted to hear". His several changes of nick name all seemed to have relate to each time he moved City and he seems to just assumed a new nick name in each place he lived - again perhaps to make it harder for him to be tracked down ( by farang ?) later.

The strangest part is that he knows a lot of people and we all call him by the names we know him by, which depending on where he is can end up different names in the same conversation and yet no one ever seems to question that fact.

As an example today on his recent birthday posts on Facebook I read just about all his names being used and not once did someone ask "who !?" when a different name was used. Just another one of those fun ( questionable to us ?) quirks when dealing with Thai guys it seems .....

gerefan2
October 30th, 2019, 17:32
A thai bar boy / friend of mine uses at least 3 different first names (that I know of) and at least another 3 nick names it seems too. I get the impression that the change of first names may well have been to hide his identity from the police / other Thai people at some point for some reason

I agree. My other half changed his first name on his passport and ID card and promptly went to Kuwait as a Thai masseur. He needed a police statement of good conduct/ no convictions etc. I suspect there is more to it than meets the eye.

Nirish guy
October 30th, 2019, 17:40
I agree. My other half changed his first name on his passport and ID card ......... He needed a police statement of good conduct/ no convictions etc.

Although you'd sort of wonder that the police wouldn't be on that like a rash and instantly ( insist) on linking any "previous" from the old ID over on to the new name of the new ID when it's being requested by the recipient, even to help themselves keep track of their own subjects, but of course this being Thailand perhaps I'm just "thinking too much" and THAT would sound too much like common sense - and we all know how easily disregarded THAT is sometimes when dealing with the Thai authorities !

Although I do love that Thai tradition of naming their child after the first thing they see but giving them their real name later so that the spirits can't steal their souls and stuff - or so I was told by my good friend 'Two dogs fucking" :-) lol ( sorry couldn't resist :)

mahjongguy
October 30th, 2019, 19:49
A Thai can change their name as often as they want but their Thai ID number will never change. If they make the change to hide from their past, and succeed to any degree, that will only be due to a mix of luck, poor systems integration, and bureaucratic laziness.

AsDaRa
October 30th, 2019, 21:06
I feel for Thais in the future who do genealogical research to their family. If they see in a birth certificate name A for the baby, and later this baby changes his name to B and gave birth to a son 30 years later how to trace which children name A got? You won't find him listed as a father anywhere because of his name change.

Very bad this is allowed. Or they must have some mechanism so this trace is publicly available for researchers.

dinagam
October 30th, 2019, 21:14
[QUOTE=AsDaRa;

Very bad this is allowed. Or they must have some mechanism so this trace is publicly available for researchers.[/QUOTE]

In the very near future geneticists will be able to remove your doubts at a press of the button.

Smiles
October 31st, 2019, 02:25
You guys are equating "name changing" and "bar boys doing things" far too much. Name changing is ubiquitous, very very common, and on all levels of Thai society. As a rule it has nothing at all to do with bar boys trying to stay a few meters ahead of the police, or some other nefarious hiding-away scheme. Looking up the wrong trees.

Read here: https://www.odditycentral.com/pics/in-thailand-people-change-their-names-to-improve-their-fortunes.html

frequent
October 31st, 2019, 03:01
I feel for Thais in the future who do genealogical research to their family.I’m not sure that a symptom of a First World person’s identity crisis is relevant here

frequent
October 31st, 2019, 03:07
Snotface should seriously give thought to changing his board name. At it is now it is too slippery by a mile, and somewhat feminine.In that vein (slippery, feminine) may I suggest “ragsweek” (although “ragweek” is sometimes used as an alternative) https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rag%20Week

latintopxxx
November 1st, 2019, 02:10
no wonder the ethnic Chinese own the place

GWMinUS
November 1st, 2019, 11:36
I find this Thread very amusing. I never knew changing names was so prevalent!!
I live now in the State of New Mexico. And the local newspaper's Legals pages often list Court actions changing a persons Legal Name.
Some are just mistakes in original Birth Certificates. But other make no sense. If as a Student I could have changed my middle name I would have!! It is Tucker and you can imagine how it got mis-pronounced in Middle and High School...
So very good it is so easy in Thailand!!