PDA

View Full Version : Ben & Lek "Gay friendly guesthouse?"

OldFool
October 19th, 2019, 17:29
Greetings,
Have booked a 30d stay in Ben & Lek Pattaya. A lot for the price, 60 M2 suite, pool etc. Walking distance from Sunee and so on. But wondering how "Gay and Friendly" it actually is. Would be grateful of any info from somebody who's been staying there recently.

Thank You..

Manforallseasons
October 19th, 2019, 19:12
I live in Pattaya many years never heard of it, on the map doesn’t seem particularly close to Sunee, Boystown or Jomtien Complex. https://www.benlekghouse.com/en-us

colmx
October 19th, 2019, 20:29
As MFAS points out the location is far from Sunee and way off any baht bus routes, so be prepared to spend plenty on Mocy taxis... for a 30 day stay that could build up to a significant outlay.

The rooms look pretty awful and the "swimming pool" looks more like large plunge pool. With a name like "Ben and Lek" I'm guessing its run by a farang and his Thai GF, which would lead me to suspect that it might not be all that gay friendly, unless Mr.Ben and his friends are open minded. I also think that your potential Thai joiners may not be impressed by your lodgings, which may lead to a less than stellar performance.

Not sure what rate they are charging or whether your reservation is refundable, but you would be better off staying somewhere closer to the action and if budget is an issue maybe try Yensabai Condo?

OldFool
October 19th, 2019, 22:41
Thanks,
Not the replies I was hoping for :( BUT: The distance to S is not too bad. Acc. to Google, walking abt. 10 min. And intend to rent a bike as I use to do. So need a M-taxi only occasionally, few times a week. As I am an "OldFool," I'm going to try this anyway. Have had rented condos for last 10 years or so, and they come almost always with some sort of disappointments. So was thinking I do something different this time. A bit strange however, that a questhouse with "Gay Frienly" on their name should NOT be gay friendly.. Will find out in few weeks time..

francois
October 19th, 2019, 22:56
All the "Leks" I know are male so maybe a farang and his gay bf?

Chuai-Duai
October 19th, 2019, 23:15
All the "Leks" I know are male so maybe a farang and his gay bf?

My Thai boyfriend used to work with a "Lek" in Bangkok. She was definitely a "she".

Manforallseasons
October 19th, 2019, 23:25
Thanks,
Not the replies I was hoping for :( BUT: The distance to S is not too bad. Acc. to Google, walking abt. 10 min. And intend to rent a bike as I use to do. So need a M-taxi only occasionally, few times a week. As I am an "OldFool," I'm going to try this anyway. Have had rented condos for last 10 years or so, and they come almost always with some sort of disappointments. So was thinking I do something different this time. A bit strange however, that a questhouse with "Gay Frienly" on their name should NOT be gay friendly.. Will find out in few weeks time..

The fucking place says “gay friendly”.....what else do you want? If it makes you happier bring and rainbow flag and hang it out your window. As they state their rates are in the 300 baht range hopefully you’ll have a window!

colmx
October 19th, 2019, 23:45
With a name like "Ben and Lek" I'm guessing its run by a farang and his Thai GF, which would lead me to suspect that it might not be all that gay friendly, unless Mr.Ben and his friends are open minded.

I somehow missed the "gay friendly" text that is so prominent on their website and Booking/com/Agoda etc.
So sounds like you will have no problem with joiners

However my google maps shows it as 1.5km/18 min walk to Sunee, so its definitely not what I would term convenient!

Brad the Impala
October 20th, 2019, 00:55
Seems very odd to make the booking first, based on information on their website alone(of course everything on their website must be true), and only then check around for third party information. Anyway fingers crossed and I hope it works out for you.

Smiles
October 20th, 2019, 00:57
I'd throw Ben&Lek to the sidewalk. Some of the beds there have a distinct 'u' shape in the middle. TV is at least 25 years old. Lots of better-looking joints closer to your target ... for an Old Fool. The best place on the map is Cafe des Amis.
Over the years Colmx has always shown a lot of balls when posting. And MFAS doesn't mince words either: " ...The fucking place says “gay friendly” ..." :dirol_mini:

OldFool
October 20th, 2019, 01:17
Thanks, I think.. Obviously no first hand experience of B&L to be found here..

Smiles
October 20th, 2019, 01:25
Don't give up on Sawatdee mate ... it's kinda like that here. Seeing as how you've already made your booking please come back with a review of Ben&Lek. Who knows, you may well have a ball there. And if you don't, grab one of Colmx's .

OldFool
October 20th, 2019, 01:52
Thanks Smiles. I'm not giving up anything. I joined the site only recently, but have been "lurking in the shadows," as a guest and a digger of useful information for a long time. This thread has evolved the way most threads tend to do - beside the original point. No surprice here. And yes, will post a review of B&L if find the place worth it..

BRGDS

Jellybean
October 20th, 2019, 03:16
Thanks Smiles. I'm not giving up anything. I joined the site only recently, but have been "lurking in the shadows," as a guest and a digger of useful information for a long time. This thread has evolved the way most threads tend to do - beside the original point. No surprice here. And yes, will post a review of B&L if find the place worth it..

BRGDS

Firstly, may I wish you a warm welcome to the forum, OldFool. I am glad that you decided to come in from the shadows and become a member.

With regard to the suggestion made by Smiles at post #12, I am happy to note you will consider taking up his suggestion and may let us have a review of Ben and Lek Gay Friendly Guesthouse.

From a quick search of our posts, it does not appear to be a guest house which has been mentioned here in the past, so it will be interesting to see if you find it worth recommending to our members and readers.

goji
October 20th, 2019, 04:36
At least one of their photos shows a room with 2 double beds and 4 lockers. Such arrangements are usually for backpackers.

The rooms look dire.

You could probably walk to Sunee in about 20 minutes. Any bar boy won't want to walk back. I presume the boys on phone apps will find you.

The only reason to stay here would be a very tight budget.

I take no notice at all of "gay friendly" in Pattaya. I have stayed in a hotel run by the owners of a girlie bar several times & had loads of boys and zero girls in my room. The only thing I make sure of is not staying in a hotel frequented by Arabs or Indians.

arsenal
October 20th, 2019, 05:40
Ah yes, Arabs and Indians. My hotel puts them on separate floors far away from me. Thai service at its absolute best..

It's not clear if the OP knows Pattaya but I personally would urge him to re-consider his choice of accommodation.

OldFool
October 20th, 2019, 14:00
First, Thank you Jellybeaan. Glad to be coming out from the shadows and into light(?) Further, few points regarding this thread. I asked if there were any first hand experience of B & L? No such luck, but few other issues surfaced. S.a. budget. I spend normally arnd. 500€/m. for my accommodation in P, and at B&L I get a lot for that same amount. 60m2 with separate bedroom, kitchenette, big balcony and pool close by. Further, it appear that I am the only guest on my floor. No need or wish to socilize with the low-life, as mentioned in some of the replies.- Distance from "action." Good thing in a sense, that likely quieter than most places close to "action." And why would I walk? I intend to rent a bike, as I always do. If I take an occasional "special friend" with me, can afford 50-100b for the ride. And I have used Moto-taxi daily when in P, Not comfortable driving when dark, otherwise no problem. The totally enjoyable, insane Thai traffic adrenalin surges keep me young.

As stated before, will try this out, and if worth it, let you know how it was.- Have a nice day gentlemen

jimnbkk
October 20th, 2019, 19:12
Walking is dangerous because Soi Land Department, upon which you will be walking most of the way, is narrow, crowded and, of course sidewalkless. It's also become incredibly busy the last year or so. The traffic light at 3rd road backs up traffic on Soi Land Department for quite a distance both ways during rush hour, so if you're in a vehicle you can expect to need a couple of light cycles to get through.

a447
October 20th, 2019, 20:04
I'm a strong believer in the fact that, by and large, you get what you pay for. So if I'm only paying 300 baht or so per night I certainly wouldn't have high expectations of a comfortable stay.

I'd be very interested in your review. This is Thailand so who knows? Anything is possible!

arsenal
October 20th, 2019, 21:55
Also. This is clearly a very low budget establishment. While I'm sure the OP is a decent enough fellow one has to ask what sort of other guests are likely to be staying there.

Impulse
October 21st, 2019, 01:08
As MFAS points out the location is far from Sunee and way off any baht bus routes, so be prepared to spend plenty on Mocy taxis... for a 30 day stay that could build up to a significant outlay.

The rooms look pretty awful and the "swimming pool" looks more like large plunge pool. With a name like "Ben and Lek" I'm guessing its run by a farang and his Thai GF, which would lead me to suspect that it might not be all that gay friendly, unless Mr.Ben and his friends are open minded. I also think that your potential Thai joiners may not be impressed by your lodgings, which may lead to a less than stellar performance.

Not sure what rate they are charging or whether your reservation is refundable, but you would be better off staying somewhere closer to the action and if budget is an issue maybe try Yensabai Condo?

I don’t see how the Thai joiners performance would have anything to do with the place he’s staying at.

christianpfc
October 21st, 2019, 10:36
I'm a strong believer in the fact that, by and large, you get what you pay for. So if I'm only paying 300 baht or so per night I certainly wouldn't have high expectations of a comfortable stay.
From my experience, both in long term rent and hotels, prices can vary by a factor of two.

When I was looking for a room in Bangkok, I had a look at 10 rooms and for similar standard and location, the most expensive cost twice as much per square meter than the cheapest.

When traveling in the provinces, I have favorite hotels in some towns (and I would stay there every time I'm in that town), and in other towns I am in rooms where I think "I pay less and get more in XXX", and go to a different hotel next time I'm in town.

Marsilius
October 21st, 2019, 11:59
And yes, will post a review of B&L if find the place worth it..

Shades, here, of Miss Terry Diner (the Pattaya mail "restaurant critic" who claims to post only positive reviews because that's of most interest to the readership). Please don't censor yourself, OldFool. It is just as useful for all of us to know that a place is positively bad - and how - rather than just middling (which may make it acceptable at the price for some).

OldFool
October 21st, 2019, 12:46
Will do Marsilius. I have stayed in Mosaic, Howards, East Suites, Two Guys, View-Talay 1 and 2. and so forth. Totally ready to try something new again. I first came to P in November 2005, and had then a reasonable sufficient income and no need to think of "budget isues" Now retired, and willing to spend abt. 500€ for accomodation in order to be able to play the game of "Old Fool & two week millionare" as main priority.

And of my very first post in this forum, a bit surprised that an innocent simple guestion generated three pages worth of opinions.. Not bad.
Thank You Kap and BRGDS Gentlemen.

pong
December 5th, 2019, 15:29
1.When I was looking for a room in Bangkok, I had a look at 10 rooms and for similar standard and location, the most expensive cost twice as much per square meter than the cheapest.
2.When traveling in the provinces, I have favorite hotels in some towns (and I would stay there every time I'm in that town)
Just been reading this
@1.True. And to add: places that label themselves as gay always seem to add a premium for that that can be as high as another 100% on top.
BTW in Pty ther are hardly any places that could be considered as gay-unfriendly, if allowing male guests is what you mean by it. Some of those old style farang run guesthss with ladies included like in soi Post Off or so may still cling to such old fashioned ideas.
@2.did that too, but be careful!! After a few yrs suddenly the owner changes, the place gets renovated or whatever and its all new with new prices too. See that in Banglamphu now on a gross scale happening.