PDA

View Full Version : Time Bomb Explodes -Four injured on Bangkok bus

travelerjim
August 6th, 2006, 19:18
As just reported Sunday evening on www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com). - from The Nation newspaper:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77981 .

Four injured in explosion on Bangkok bus ...

BANGKOK: -- Four passengers were injured when a homemade bomb exploded on a Bangkok bus Saturday night.

The time bomb detonated by a clock exploded on Bus No 95 at 10:40 am.

The bus was having about 20 passengers and had left Happy Land Market heading to Bang Khen when the explosion occurred when it was in front of Bang Toey Temple near Soi Navamin 101..

Three passengers were slightly injured were discharged from the Lard Prao Hospital after treatments.

The other passenger suffered cuts on the left leg and suffered back injury from the blast impact. He was discharged after treatment.

The bus driver, Jittakorn Prajonghat, 32, told police that the bomb might be planted by four teenagers who got off the bus just a stop before the bomb exploded.

--The Nation 2006-08-06

Let's hope and pray that this is not the beginning of terrorist activity in BKK area...

Discussion on the thaivisa message board follows the posting.

TravelerJim

August 6th, 2006, 19:24
I would suspect that if it was part of an insurgency attack, the device would have produced multiple deaths and many more injuries. But it has succeeded in planting the seeds of fear, an objective of all acts of terrorism.

August 7th, 2006, 00:58
No doubt the police will have people in custody soon.

August 7th, 2006, 11:01
... you read the post, it is suggested that the bomb was planted by kids playing a less than funny prank. Hardly the start of a terror campaign in Bangkok.

August 7th, 2006, 11:07
"a homemade bomb exploded on a Bangkok bus Saturday night ... at 10:40 am"

Smiles
August 7th, 2006, 23:30
... you read the post, it is suggested that the bomb was planted by kids playing a less than funny prank. Hardly the start of a terror campaign in Bangkok.
So ... just a large firecracker? In a way that would make sense. Even a small "real" bomb exploding in a relatively small confined space such as a bus would create terrible damage and I cannot believe any of those 20 people would have not been killed if it were a legit bomb.

Minor injuries to just 4 persons (the other 16 just walking away I assume) and the bus driver interviewed on the spot says stupid pranksters with fireworks to me. The fact that it was on a timer (apparently) is interesting and more worrisome.

But whatever the facts turn out to be, this does not smell at all like "terrorism".

Cheers ...