PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Cafe

chip
August 21st, 2019, 18:31
I use to really enjoy sitting at Dicks Cafe and watch the passing scene. So much to look at to while away an hour or two. I understand it has moved to a new location. Any reason to go there other than the food and drink?

Marsilius
August 21st, 2019, 21:47
Presumably you're referring to the original Dick's in Bangkok, rather than the branch in the Jomtien Complex where I was once served the worst hamburger I've ever been expected to eat?

Khor tose
August 22nd, 2019, 03:32
If anyone knows what they put in the meat, please do not tell me.

Josan
August 22nd, 2019, 04:00
So where is this new location?

chip
August 22nd, 2019, 05:24
So where is this new location?

I thought I had read somewhere that they had moved to a new location in Bangkok, I could be very well mistaken.

Wolzek
August 22nd, 2019, 05:36
I had a hamburger there yesterday and it tasted great!

I dont know that the Bkk branch moved anywhere. I think they are only open in Pattaya now.

neddy3
August 22nd, 2019, 07:22
Dick's café in Bangkok is long closed.

The branch in Jomtien is open.

Oliver2
August 22nd, 2019, 13:28
For Thai food in or near the Jomtien Complex, Dick's is an excellent option. Reasonably priced, too.

Smiles
August 28th, 2019, 17:55
This URL below says that Dicks Cafe - Bangkok edition - has retreated to the west side of the Chaopraya River in Thonburi in a neighbourhood called Khlong San, The map puts it close to the Skytrain station Krung Thong.
(The 'CLOSED' caption on this website seems to be about the Soi Twilight Dick's demise, not the new location.)
The site was last edited August 16, 2019

https://www.travelgay.com/venue/dicks-cafe-bangkok/

For myself, when in Bangkok I enjoyed sitting in Dick's joint on Soi Twilight watching the boys go by. As for the food, it was spectacularly forgettable.

Smiles
August 29th, 2019, 09:01
Just had a thought about visiting the New Dick's Cafe in Thonburi. If you plug this address into the search feature of Google Maps you'll find a 'star' hovering over the cafe.

49 Soi Saraphee 2, Ladya Rd, Khlong San.

I can't imagine that the new Dick's will be as 'gay' as it was in Soi Twilight (can I say, 100%). Perhaps Dick is venturing into the wild world of Straight-Gays-Cappuccino.

neddy3
August 29th, 2019, 14:41
That is an interesting find, Smiles.

I notice that they are using a logo completely different to that used before, and still in use in Jomtien.

Has someone just picked up the name?
Or is it the previous business?

We need an intrepid adventurer to go out there, and report back.

Nirish guy
August 29th, 2019, 14:56
And to check are they still doing their nice Vanilla milkshakes ! :)

llz
August 29th, 2019, 15:51
Not in Bangkok now, so I cannot "venture" there.

Lat Ya soi 2 is wrongly labelled as soi 3 on Google Maps (sign at the soi entry clearly shows the place as Saraphee soi 2). The closest BTS station is Wong Wian Yai ; from exit n° 3 go north on Krung Thonburi soi 1 which will be called Saraphee / Lat Ya 2 further. Walk on, going past The Aiyapura Bangkok Hotel on your way ; 49 Saraphee 2 should be on your left 500 m away from the BTS station.

Looks like quite a small shop as shown by a Street View picture of May 2018 (n° 49 had then the blue canopy shown below).

I just have a dream ... and this is seeing this area becoming a new gay paradise with many bars and massage places .. but I would not hold my breath.

bkkguy
August 30th, 2019, 18:00
yes someone has just picked up the name, no relation to the REAL Dicks though rumour is it was someone with an axe to grind