View Full Version : Employer Rip Off

Postboy
August 6th, 2019, 11:46
Hi, first time poster but long time reader here, just a long shot question, my Thai BF was working at a Hua Hin hotel for around 2 months +, and recently was terminated "for not following hotel policy". He had done nothing wrong, other than borrow a small amount of money from a staff member, and did not return his uniform in person, but by post. He has worked 3 weeks of a 4 week pay period, and the hotel is refusing to pay him, which would be around 5-6000 baht. Does anybody know if there is a government body or whatever that can ensure the hotel pays him, like 3 weeks work with 24/7 shifts and no pay is a bit rich, even for Thailand. Thanks in advance

Marsilius
August 6th, 2019, 15:22
If you put "Employee rights in Thailand" into Google, absolutely masses of material comes up. Too much for me to read, but on the surface it looks like it might help a lot.

Old git
August 6th, 2019, 15:25
From time to time one hears the sad tale of an expat who gets into a dispute with tradesmen in the LoS.

They tend to assume that western due process will apply, that there will be some sort of court action or official arbitration. It tends not to go that way.

The last one I heard of was ambushed taking his kid to school and spent six months in a coma before he died.

Your friend's best recourse is probably to hire half a dozen heavies as backup, march into the hotel and confront the manager - he'll almost certainly back down.

Patanawet
August 6th, 2019, 15:47
Your friend's best recourse is probably to hire half a dozen heavies as backup, march into the hotel and confront the manager - he'll almost certainly back down.
What nonsense!
Thai labour laws are very strict and usually there is a three month trial period for both sides.
He must find out if there is some sort of labour union My company with 12 Thai staff had one.
I wonder if there is a sort of Thai Citizens Advice Beauro because it looks as if he has been mistreated.

dinagam
August 6th, 2019, 16:14
If a termination notice is required (1-2 months ), and he didn't have one, either party could be liable. An employee quitting on 24 hours notice owes the employer a month's wage.

Nirish guy
August 6th, 2019, 16:40
Just out of interest you're saying that Dinagam (about the 24 hours notice thing and a months wages etc) as if that's a an across the board "fact" for ALL employees in Thailand - IS that the case and if so does that mean that there's some standard Countrywide basic automatic "Terms of Employment" rights in place for ALL Thai citizens - again is this the case and does each citizen / employer not sit down and draw up their own unique employment terms / contract at the time of giving or accepting a job there - just for me own info btw, I'm not doubting what you're saying, just asking ?

dinagam
August 6th, 2019, 20:10
An employment at an hotel is registrable at the department of social securities and therefore is governed by rules of the contract, such as the matter of hiring and termination. Those who are confirmed in their position will have to give notice of at least one month if they wish to draw the last monthly salary. Those still on probation will get a pro-rata daily wages depending on the goodwill of the employer. If they abscond with the uniform, a fee is payable. By pleading insanity the employer might just close the case.

gerefan2
August 6th, 2019, 20:13
Just send him the 5-6000 Baht and be done with it.

Jellybean
August 6th, 2019, 22:12
Just send him the 5-6000 Baht and be done with it.

The above advice by gerefan2 is the best advice I've read so far, Postboy. If I were you, I'd take his advice, send the money to your boyfriend, chalk it up to a bad experience and put the matter behind you. Whilst the amount is no doubt significant to your boyfriend, it probably isn’t to you and not worth all the hassle of attempting, and doubtless failing, to get the hotel to pay up.

And, while here, may I offer you a warm welcome to the forum! :)

bucknaway
August 6th, 2019, 23:49
Let your deep pockets come to the rescue. Teach him when things don't go his way, don't stand up for yourself while deep pockets is his boyfriend...

I need a deep pockets boyfriend myself...

colmx
August 7th, 2019, 00:34
Same thing happened my BF when he was working in Rome Hotel in Pattaya
At the end of first month they told him he wasn't being paid his agreed salary as he had been in "training" so we wrote if off down to experience

In the second month he racked up 40 hours overtime (they were short staffed in reception) and they refused to pay any of that (despite promising to) and only gave him half his salary.... as he was once again "training" - no idea how you can be in training when you are the only one in reception!

He quit at the end of month 2... Thankfully the business failed not so long after and the owners got everything they deserved!

sglad
August 7th, 2019, 19:44
The above advice by gerefan2 is the best advice I've read so far, Postboy. If I were you, I'd take his advice, send the money to your boyfriend, chalk it up to a bad experience and put the matter behind you. Whilst the amount is no doubt significant to your boyfriend, it probably isn’t to you and not worth all the hassle of attempting, and doubtless failing, to get the hotel to pay up.

Nonsense. Why should Postboy compensate his boyfriend for lost of income after being fired from his job? We don't know the full story here other than the typical "boss no good" excuse - it's always the other person's fault, isn't it? Some companies view the borrowing of money from colleagues as a serious disciplinary breach as it can give rise to conflicts of interest at the workplace and create a toxic work environment. And borrowers tend to be habitual.

Even if the boyfriend has a legitimate grievance, it's not Postboy's responsibility to pay him compensation. If I were to get fired from my job, my dad isn't going to pay me one month's salary. A scolding would be more likely. Going through hardship and "hassle" as Jellybean put it is part and parcel of working life and being an adult the world over. We are talking about an adult here, aren't we?

sglad
August 7th, 2019, 21:28
One more thing. Jellybean says to pay the bf and "chalk it up to bad experience." And what would the bf learn from this "bad experience" - fuck up and sugardaddy will bail him out?

dinagam
August 7th, 2019, 21:36
Poor boy. I hope it was his first job, apart from making his boyfriend happy.
The best option for him now is a good foundation apprenticeship in Singapore to properly prepare him for the working life.

sglad
August 7th, 2019, 21:41
Poor boy. I hope it was his first job, apart from making his boyfriend happy.
The best option for him now is a good foundation apprenticeship in Singapore to properly prepare him for the working life.

Unfortunately, being fired from his first job (or any job for that matter) and being bailed out by his boyfriend, would not look too good on his resume for an apprenticeship anywhere. But Lucky Boys might take him.

gerefan2
August 8th, 2019, 02:46
I see this as a request for money, pure and simple. Maybe a sophisticated one for a Thai boy.

latintopxxx
August 8th, 2019, 03:07
I'm sure a repayment plan of some sort can be worked out.....

a447
August 8th, 2019, 07:34
I see this as a request for money, pure and simple. Maybe a sophisticated one for a Thai boy.

Without knowing the guy, it is difficult to know, but that thought also crossed my mind. Definitely a distinct possibility.