View Full Version : Buying Baht

gerefan2
August 3rd, 2019, 03:40
Anyone else buying Baht? Or putting money into their Thai bank accounts to beat the drop of the GBP?

goji
August 3rd, 2019, 05:21
Putting money in my Thai bank account would only "beat the drop of the GBP" if the GBP drops further.

Several years ago, between 80 & 90% of my investments were in non GBP assets (excluding my house). That situation is not significantly changed. I try not to act after the horse has bolted, although if the horse is only just warming up, perhaps the percentage of my portfolio in GBP might take a further hit.
Luckily I know I'm not smart enough to predict currency movements in the short term & even the long term is a little optimistic.

gerefan2
August 3rd, 2019, 14:26
I should have added that this is being put aside for a forthcoming 3 month trip in November. Not long term.

At the current rate it seems unstoppable!

Manforallseasons
August 3rd, 2019, 15:02
I wouldn’t be a surprise that at some point in the next 18 months the GBP is on a par with the U.S. dollar as it soon with be the same as the Euro.

goji
August 3rd, 2019, 15:50
I should have added that this is being put aside for a forthcoming 3 month trip in November. Not long term.

At the current rate it seems unstoppable!

Well, at least you have the benefit of knowing what the rate is.
For my 3 month winter trip, I have money for about 1 month already in my Thai bank account from previous trips.

I'm not planning to change any more until December, when the trip starts.

I guess the direction of the pound will be heavily dependent on politics. If Brexit is fixed and we avoid a marxist government, then the pound may rally.
If we have a marxist government, then we would be lucky to get 20 baht to the pound after 5 years of that. [Corbyn is a completely different animal to Tony Blair].