PDA

View Full Version : AmEx credit card

dab69
July 28th, 2019, 16:20
You think you had problems in Thailand? Just arrived last night to find out my American Express card chip not working at hotel. Also have Mastercard bank card not work here either. Only brought so much cash. I know Bangkok is more expensive but getting nervous as all the nice bos/bars expensive- need tips. Luck I paid hotel in Pattaya through Agoda in advance but private taxi etc. expensive. Any where that would take my credit card?

Manforallseasons
July 28th, 2019, 16:35
Have you tried going into a bank and asking for a cash advance on your M/C?
Regarding your Amex card:
https://www.americanexpress.com/th/en/cust_svce/contactingus.shtml/

sglad
July 28th, 2019, 16:39
Does your Mastercard double as an ATM card? Try making a withdrawal at an ATM. Charges apply. You can withdraw up to 20,000Bt at a time I think.

Alternatively, go into the bank and ask if you can make an over-the-counter cash withdrawal using your Mastercard. The big three Thai banks are Bangkok Bank (blue theme), Siam Commercial (purple theme) and Kasikorn (green theme). The Bangkok Bank head office is in Silom Road.

Also see if American Express Thailand is able to help you. Their office is in Phahonyothin.

https://www.americanexpress.com/th/en/cust_svce/contactingus.shtml/

Good luck!

dab69
July 28th, 2019, 16:42
wow great info for Monday-Friday great link thanks LOTS

Nirish guy
July 28th, 2019, 16:48
Dont despair just yet, it's correct that more and more businesses ( worldwide) seem to be turning their back on American Express due to their higher charges to the business ( my own business stopped taking their cards for exactly that reason too !). But it's not everywhere so you may still find a few places. Likewise I'm guessing your Amex Card will still work to allow you to withdraw money from (some) ATM's ( although a damned expensive way of getting it, but if you're stuck better than nothing.

Your MasterCard however should work perfectly in most places - and again try a few different banks and you should quickly find one that allows its use in their ATMs. I used my Mastercard in thailand last week at the "green" coloured branded bank Isorry cant remember the name),

There is sometimes a confusion that occurs in Asia still over the "chip" part of card and it's suitability for use in some places, as even though you have a chip card sometimes older shops and hotels etc dont have the chip machine / technology yet, but when that's the case they normally just ask you to sign for your purchase in the old way but still allowing you to use your card.

Also I would go IN to the / a bank if you're stuck as I believe most should allow you to withdraw cash using your card / cards. But I wouldn't worry too much as I think for sure your MasterCard should see you through.

* As a note for anyone else reading this using a Monzo type card ( and this may be the case with the cards above now too even) again in Asia they still working reading the magnetic strip on the card, whereas in the West now things have moved on from that. So, to improve security the card issuers are starting to "freeze" the data on your Magnetic strip to stop our cards being "skimmed" so easily. This means that the data cant be read by the old (Asian) card readers and appears to the user that their card "isn't working to has been blocked, where in fact that isn't the case. I know Monzo have a button in their App that allows you to "unfreeze" your mag stripe data for periods of 7 days at a time, I'm not sure how the other card issuers deal with that though,

Oh and Dab69 I'm "assuming" that you DID notifiy your card issuers of your travel plans and that they, on seeing a few attempted Asian purchases going through HAVENT blocked your card/s on you as a security issue ( which is SO annoying when they do that). So, I'd try your MasterCard in a few other places first perhaps, then try a few different ATMs in different bank companies and in side the actual bank itself perhaps if no joy there.

Good luck.

* Sorry I see others said basically the same as my above, whilst I was typing ( just a lot more succulently of course :) Dont forget though if you DO take a cash advance on your card it's THE most expensive way of lifting money and your credit card company will start applying a HIGHER rate of interest than normal to the amount you lift FROM THE DAY YOU LIFT IT - AND - if you have other outstanding balances on your card will not clear your cash transaction until ALL other balances are paid FIRST ( so if you're the sort of person set's your minimum payment by DD perhaps and then eventually gets around to clearing your actual balance "later / sometime" then just be aware that that higher rate cash lift will continue racking up interest until you clear everything else first - even it that's 2 years later !! ( he says from sore experience ! :)

sglad
July 28th, 2019, 16:50
The bank with the green theme is Kasikorn Bank.:)

Dalewood
July 28th, 2019, 18:46
You think you had problems in Thailand? Just arrived last night to find out my American Express card chip not working at hotel. Also have Mastercard bank card not work here either. Only brought so much cash. I know Bangkok is more expensive but getting nervous as all the nice bos/bars expensive- need tips. Luck I paid hotel in Pattaya through Agoda in advance but private taxi etc. expensive. Any where that would take my credit card?

Is there any particular reason you did not bring an ATM card?

dab69
July 28th, 2019, 21:11
The Mastercard IS an ATM card. Thanks lots everyone. Used to have aVisa backup card but not using it for 7 years I dropped the account (50 renewal fee)

Nirish guy
July 28th, 2019, 21:21
Just as an add on - if I can be a little presumptuous perhaps and assume perhaps that you "have a few quid in the bank" and are not actually depending on the "credit" part of your credit card for your holiday ( fine if you are but just saying......) IF that is the case can I also then presume that you like most of us of a certain age are using your credit just because we have one and "that's what we do" etc....... well, if that IS the case can I suggest you maybe think about getting your self a DEBIT card instead / as well as a Credit card - basically does the same thing but of course you pre load it with your own money first - the beauty of that being that is IS your money and there's almost ZERO chance of your credit card company blocking your card when you need - which is usually right at the moment you need it MOST of course !

I've said it before here so dont want to bang on about it but I've recently started using a MONZO card ( there are a few other similar products out there too) and that I find is so much handier and easier to keep a check of and transfer money to who and where I need it to go - instantly - but again for me the big plus the Credit card company can't block your card when you're travelling !

Just a suggestion, Hope you get sorted.

sglad
July 28th, 2019, 21:51
* Sorry I see others said basically the same as my above, whilst I was typing ( just a lot more succulently of course :)

Hmmm, yes, succulently. Nirish, we know you're in Pattaya where everything is succulent but you really shouldn't type with your mouth full.

Nirish guy
July 28th, 2019, 23:22
lol - really should wear my glasses too it seems !

And alas as I'm now back in the land of the big hairy white arses the only thing I'll be bothering much to fill my mouth with here usually is Guinness maybe !

Nirish guy
July 28th, 2019, 23:34
To the Op - I see over on gay guides board etc that your issue with your Master card is that you don't have / know the PIN number - if that's the case I hate to tell you but you might have a bigger problem on your hands as as far as I know Mastercard will only POST a NEW replacement PIN out to your house using snail mail and even this takes several days ( at least).

I fear you're going to have to search for a bank or business who WILL take your Am ex card and hope they allow cash advances using that card perhaps after all maybe :-(

dab69
July 29th, 2019, 00:41
Mastercard - Have pin but hotel didn't ask. Will try bank on Monday. Thanks. Sorry about the big white asses :P

frequent
July 29th, 2019, 04:42
To the Op - I see over on gay guides board etc that your issue ... He's posting about it on two Forums? Oh dear me. I nearly spat my cornflakes all over the iPad when I read that

dab69
July 29th, 2019, 06:47
And since fatso was in charge here under TWO dirrerent user names...

christianpfc
July 29th, 2019, 21:49
Good luck with your cards!

Reminds me of my trip to Indonesia, where I put my visa card in three different ATMs to get an error message on each of them (but before in Thailand and Cambodia no problem, and afterwards in Thailand no problem, and my bank had no records of my actions in Indionesia). Fortunately, I had enough cash (I always bring enough cash for exactly such cases) to get me over the holiday.

In Taiwan a related problem. I went through the transaction, but no money came out of the ATM! Only a paper in Chinese which I took to the counter, and a member of staff led me to an ATM that can do international transfers.

Manforallseasons
July 29th, 2019, 22:32
Pfc. This is a forum about all things Thailand.......get your act together!

sglad
July 29th, 2019, 22:59
He's posting about it on two Forums? Oh dear me. I nearly spat my cornflakes all over the iPad when I read that

Posted at 5.42 AM Bangkok time, 8.42 AM Sydney time. Right in time for breakfast in Sydney.

goji
July 30th, 2019, 00:05
Posted at 5.42 AM Bangkok time, 8.42 AM Sydney time. Right in time for breakfast in Sydney.

It does seem remarkable that someone real could fall for every trick in the book.