PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Institutions

arsenal
July 23rd, 2019, 08:10
Good morning.
It seems that everyone is fighting with everyone at the moment. I'm putting it down to the unusually hot weather that is causing this outbreak of tetchiness.

Yes. Institutions come in many forms and so I'm starting a thread about those places that have been going a long time.

Metal Chairs Restaurant, the one located on second road near Boyztown. I go there regularly and always have the same thing, crispy pork with red sauce. It's always a midnight-1.00am meal, just to keep me going for a few more hours. 55 baht and quite quite delicious.

They also do a circus trick. Even after seeing the stir fried vegetables chucked across the road dozens of times I still enjoy it.

NB. Linking any member to the word institution is such an obvious and lowly skilled thing to do that we can probably do without it on this thread.

frequent
July 23rd, 2019, 11:07
NB. Linking any member to the word institution is such an obvious and lowly skilled thing to do that we can probably do without it on this thread.I'm surprised that your profile doesn't actually describe you as a Forum Institution. Wouldn't that be an apposite use of the word? There are also a number of members who are happy, so they say, to be committed members of that fine old institution, marriage. The word "institution" has a pejorative sense only to those who want it to have

Oliver2
July 23rd, 2019, 13:29
The restaurant used to be called The Flying Vegetable and displays would take place nightly, drawing appreciative crowds. I had thought the performances had ended until I saw one about three years ago. A sort of "tribute band" I suppose.

gerefan2
July 23rd, 2019, 15:05
Its actually called Pakbung Loi Fah as any self respecting Pattayafile should know!

I mentioned the place a few months ago with reference to their new high prices.

My standard meal went up from, I think about 100 baht, to almost 300. I dont go anymore.

Oliver2
July 23rd, 2019, 15:34
The Flying Vegetable moved to north Pattaya at least fifteen years ago. Whether the vegetables are still flying there, I don't know.

sglad
July 23rd, 2019, 19:56
My standard meal went up from, I think about 100 baht, to almost 300. I dont go anymore.

There must clearly be something wrong with The Flying Vegetables when the fruit are flying off too.

arsenal
July 23rd, 2019, 20:17
The coffee shop at the top of Viewpoint Mountain also qualifies I think. I don't know its actual name so over to gerefan2 for that.

It's been there forever. They serve great coffee with a stunning view across the sparkling blue water of Pattaya Bay. A great place to sit as the sun sets and Pattaya gets ready for another nefarious night of.....

They play the national anthem at 6.00pm.

gerefan2
July 23rd, 2019, 20:44
There’s a place called FM 104.75 which is the radio station. I think the coffee shop is next door?

gerefan2
July 23rd, 2019, 20:51
Another institution (of mine anyway) is a small Thai restaurant on Pattaya Tai opposite Soi Hollywood. If you have been there you will know that it has two floors and the top floor is air conditioned. Does excellent cheap Thai food, but does take a LOOOONG time to arrive.

There is a large red sign outside with the name on it “OR-AH-HARN-THAI”.

Oliver2
July 23rd, 2019, 21:45
Here's a puzzling institution. On the seaward side of Pattaya Second, opposite or just beyond the school is a largish store selling luggage, tourist goods and (I think) shoes. It's been there since 1996 at least and I've never seen anyone enter....or come out. Its window displays samples of luggage that I swear have been there twenty years plus. And it's still open. How do they manage it? and why?

ishfahan
July 24th, 2019, 02:04
OR-AH-HARN-THAI is one of my favorite restuarants as well even though my regular boy complains a lot about the slow service

arsenal
July 24th, 2019, 08:15
Some people. Three spring to mind, all of whom spend their evenings walking the length and breadth of Pataya.

The shoe shine boy, the guy who sells hats and cheap jewellery and of course frantic walking man who pops into every bar as if he's on very important business.

latintopxxx
July 24th, 2019, 09:56
what about the ice cream vendor on pattaya gay beach with the " I scream...u scream" routine

Maxwell
July 24th, 2019, 16:18
What about Boyz Boyz Boyz? This bar has been around forever and so has most of its staff. A unique Pattaya institution in that its employees are able to work until they reach pensionable age.

francois
July 24th, 2019, 16:21
The shoe shine boy, the guy who sells hats and cheap jewellery and of course frantic walking man who pops into every bar as if he's on very important business.

Haven't seen the shoe shine guy in a long time.

Nirish guy
July 24th, 2019, 17:31
I think some of the Thai MB / Massage guy Grindr profiles could nearly count as historic institutions now too considering just long some of their ages or pics have remain unchanged ! :-)

sglad
July 24th, 2019, 20:21
Would the Gaybutton forum count as a Pattaya institution? As I understand it, Gaybutton and friends have been welcoming expats and helping them to settle down in Pattaya for decades.

arsenal
July 24th, 2019, 20:40
I'm gonna sling Mama Burger down in Jomtien into the ring. The 3.00am hot dog is one of life's most illicit pleasures and just feels so deliciously unhealthy. They've been there for 10 years.

To get two Michelin stars (according to Michelin) the food needs to be "worth a special journey." Well I often bike there from Pattaya for a hot dog so I hereby award them two Michelin stars. (Honorary)

Eddie
July 25th, 2019, 16:01
Would the Gaybutton forum count as a Pattaya institution?

Yes, the kind Ken Kesey would have enjoyed writing about.

joe552
July 25th, 2019, 16:11
I'll nominate Panorama - it seems to have been around for years. Certainly since I first went to Pattaya. I hope it doesn't change too much with the renovations.

Oliver2
July 25th, 2019, 16:38
Previously Cocobana....that was in the 90s. It appears in Michael Burchill's book about the birth of Boyztown...one of the earliest gay venues to be established. It certainly qualifies as an institution.

sglad
July 25th, 2019, 16:58
Yes, the kind Ken Kesey would have enjoyed writing about.

I had to look that up!:D

Jellybean
July 25th, 2019, 18:31
I had to look that up!:D

Sounds like you and Eddie are having a lot of fun, sglad .;)

neddy3
July 25th, 2019, 19:15
Previously Cocobana....that was in the 90s. It appears in Michael Burchill's book about the birth of Boyztown...one of the earliest gay venues to be established. It certainly qualifies as an institution.

Yes, I have to agree. In my fuzzy recollections,it was located near the site of Funny Boys.
Later moved to a bigger bar, and became Panorama.

BTW, wasn't it Cocobanana?

Oliver2
July 25th, 2019, 21:36
Of course! Cocobanana! My mistake was a typo, not the result of prudishness.

francois
July 26th, 2019, 01:55
In 2000 Cocobanana was located at what is now Panorama. I don't know where it may have been earlier.

Phred
July 26th, 2019, 06:58
Though not around as long as the Boyztown institutions, Jomtien has a handful: I would name Dick’s Café, the iteration of the old Bangkok one which has been there a few years. Bamboo bar has been a going concern since I first hit Jomtien beach 20 years ago, and Tui’s Place as well, which, according to their web site has been there for 22 years. I think the Venue has been there as long too.

Moses
July 26th, 2019, 11:54
I think the Venue has been there as long too.
No, Venue was opened in 2009

latintopxxx
July 27th, 2019, 03:13
...and Tui's is no longer the same ever since he split from the frog, they literally split the place down the middle, really silly, 2 restaurants, 2 kitchens...

StevieWonders
July 27th, 2019, 09:30
Keep up the good work arsenal. I love your posts so much.

Smiles
July 27th, 2019, 12:04
"No, Venue was opened in 2009"That sounds about right ... for the name 'Venue'.
Before that the hotel was named 'Bondi' and went by that name for some time before it was sold (around?) 2009 ~ and then fully renovated. We stayed at the Bondi two or three times in the early 2000's.
Actually, the Bondi owner should probably have kept the place! The Jomtien Complex was much quieter back then (but still mostly gay) and has only really taken off around 2010 and has not stopped since then. More host bars now than either Sunnee or Boyztown ... though no Gogo.

arsenal
July 27th, 2019, 12:42
Monty, though sadly now partying in the great go go bar in the sky was definitely a Pattaya institution. With his endless openings of this business or that he achieved nrar universal acclaim/criticism when he poisoned Neal with soup.

The only man to have opened a go go bar in Jomtien.

frequent
July 27th, 2019, 15:15
Monty, though sadly now partying in the great go go bar in the sky was definitely a Pattaya institution.I suspect many of us may be looking forward to our 72 virgin gogo boys in Heaven. Perhaps Monty can echo the words of Jesus “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am“ (John 14:3)

Nirish guy
July 27th, 2019, 15:44
I suspect many of us may be looking forward to our 72 virgin gogo boys in Heaven. Perhaps Monty can echo the words of Jesus “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am“ (John 14:3)

Now not that I'm suggesting I'm Jesus of anything here, but just to give you all a heads up - if "I'" ever go to prepare that place for you, I have to warn you that by the time you get there there may be be slightly less than the advertised 72 virgins, in fact depending how long it take you to get there there may in deed be ZERO virgins left so I wouldn't dilly dally if I were you !

* PS this opens an interesting question I think also posted my Joe the other week......so, if you WERE getting your whole 72 guys etc......so would you actually WANT 72 VIRGINS or 72 experienced guys who knew what they were doing as in my experience virgins are bloody hard work and can be a bit hit and miss for the first while at least, I wonder would Jesus consider a 70/30% split on that deal perhaps ??

Oh and going back to institutions ( and this is more re my OCD) but I'm not gutted that in the new Castro show bar that the old "Copa" interval music has now gone ( i.e "Copa, copacabananaaaa rift, complete with the repeating camera shutter sound at the end of it" - I was gutted when i first realised, I felt like I'd lost a dear friend ! lol And MORE annoyingly the management have replaced it another set piece tune that they've been using for a while now BUT they're using it in ALL their bars - as are the VENUE ! so now no matter WHAT show bar you're in they all sound the same and you almost forget you've moved bars ! :-(

bkkguy
July 27th, 2019, 19:14
Perhaps Monty can echo the words of Jesus “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am“ (John 14:3)

given his somewhat limited success in attracting large numbers to the places he prepared for us before I don't necessarily see this second coming being that successful, particularly with Leviticus and friends trying to divert us elsewhere along the way!

still I hope at least the food is better and the seating more comfortable

Smiles
July 30th, 2019, 10:31
As a Perpetual Pattaya Institution: The last 30 kilometers of highway driving into Pattaya.
It's been in never-ending renovations for 20+ years now (at least). The horrific dust; the continual shutdown of various lanes of the highway for no obvious reason; the 10,000 Thai ladies wearing scarfs held on with yellow safety helmets and sweeping said dust into the huge gutters along side the one lane, thus said dust rises up in the air in slow motion like a Mt Krakatoa eruption then comes back to settle on one's car; the half built toll booths with not a person on guard; the 25,000 young men/workers who seem to be perpetually having lunch sitting in said gutters and said dust; the gigantic stoppages of all driver movement lasting 20 minutes+ only to find out there was no reason for the stoppage except said lunch; the non existent Porto Potties ... say no more: said tree-less gutters.
Surely that deserves the the designation of 'Institution', any day?

I'm waiting for the Thais to beg the French to give the Highway to Hell a stage in the 2022 Tour de France.

arsenal
July 30th, 2019, 11:43
No Smiles. NO NO NO.
It leads to Pattaya and we only take it when going there.
"Highway to Hell."
Highway to Heaven methinks. If you're doing it right that is. Haha.