PDA

View Full Version : A Real Newbie Question

joe552
June 26th, 2019, 04:19
I really don't understand exchange rates, and bank charges and all of that. For my upcoming trip, would I be better bringing say €1,000 in cash? Changing it as required. Obviously, I'd have to withdraw cash from ATMs when that is spent.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2019, 04:52
Simple answer Joe - yes - as it would save you ATM fee charges ( and shitty exchange rates etc) - have you looked into the likes of a Monzo card ( there are several brands that do the same as that card - basically free to use when away and no exchange rate commission i.e you get the XE / forex rate etc ) - I was going to say search for Monzo on here and it should give you the answers but on doing so myself there for you I cant actually see any thread, perhaps I'm confusing boards......- ps I dont "think" Monzo are just UK based but if they are there are a few other card suppliers who give a similar free service I believe. One of the other advantages is assuming you've told your account your mobile phone number when you spend money it immediately flashes up on your mobile screen, showing both the Baht cost just charged to your card ( great to check you're not being ripped off in a bar) and it also does an instant conversion to your home currency letting you know how much you've spent in your own money !

Otherwise yes - a big wad of clean and undamaged ! Euro notes will suffice I guess ( I take both - cards and cash - just in case)

If you want a read about that card you can go to :

https://monzo.com

gerefan2
June 26th, 2019, 05:14
I’m another one for cash! If I’m just here for a month I bring enough cash and change it at the Airport, but ONLY at the change offices on the ground floor where you get a far better rate. I then lock it in the safe in my room. As you are staying in Yensabai Condo you will know the rooms have a secure safe.

If I’m staying several months then I do the same but I put it into my Kasikorn bank and use their card to withdraw it as required. All free except for a very small annual charge.

There is No way I use my UK card anymore. As pointed out the rate is shitty and the charges are outrageous.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2019, 06:01
There is No way I use my UK card anymore. As pointed out the rate is shitty and the charges are outrageous.

Again not that I'm a salesman for it but I ( and several friends who travel in Asia and elsewhere think it's really good) - monzo.com - all the handiness of using a card without the exchange rate change or usage fee etc and flashes up on your phone as an added bonus - and it's totally FREE to get and use. Like you Gerefan I also stick a wad of ( sterling) Cash in the safe on arrival and change as I go ( traveling between Bali etc too) BUT after watching the receptionist I stayed at a while back simply entering the hotels phone number into the key code as his "security override" code which on mentioning it to a few locals (without mentioning where !) they said "yeah, that happens a lot, we know" I tend to keep less that I used to in the safe perhaps.

Manforallseasons
June 26th, 2019, 08:24
Joe, if you do bring cash there are many exchanges places however, you will always get the best rates at the yellow money exchange place just inside the main entrance on Pattaya Thai at Tuck Com.......1000 is not a huge amount...you will get the best rate if you bring 10 ....100 pound notes.

joe552
June 26th, 2019, 10:33
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at that Monzo card, NIrish. Sounds good.

joe552
June 26th, 2019, 10:39
I just had a look at Monza and the only problem is that I don't have a smartphone - a Luddite, I know. So it's cash for me.

Marsilius
June 26th, 2019, 12:17
I always take UK currency, stick it in the room safe and change it for Thai baht as and when I need to during the holiday.

gerefan2
June 26th, 2019, 12:44
The speed at which sterling is dropping nowadays it pays to change the lot on the first day you arrive in Thailand.

gerefan2
June 26th, 2019, 14:22
, you will always get the best rates at the yellow money exchange place just inside the main entrance on Pattaya Thai at Tuck Com........

That got me thinking as I thought that TT Exchange always gave the best rates. So,as I was having lunch at the Deli Diner, I thought I would pop into Tukcom and see.

The place in Tukcom offered 38.25 per £. So I went to TT exchange (another yellow exchange place which has two branches on 2nd road more or less opposite Boyztown. They did indeed beat the Place in Tukcom and offered 38.95. A bit of a difference when you are changing £1000 or more.

But surprise, surprise, I was also going to Friendship Supermarket and looked in at the very small booth there in the car park near where the motor bikes park and they offered 30.04, beating the other two.

francois
June 27th, 2019, 06:45
The place in Tukcom offered 38.25 per £. So I went to TT exchange (another yellow exchange place which has two branches on 2nd road more or less opposite Boyztown. They did indeed beat the Place in Tukcom and offered 38.95. A bit of a difference when you are changing £1000 or more.

But surprise, surprise, I was also going to Friendship Supermarket and looked in at the very small booth there in the car park near where the motor bikes park and they offered 30.04, beating the other two.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong but how is 30.04 better than 38.25 or 38.95 ? Did you mean 40.04?

gerefan2
June 27th, 2019, 23:36
Apologies yes 40.04 at kiosk in Friendship Supermarket car park.