PDA

View Full Version : Eva Air cancel hundreds flights due strike

gerefan2
June 23rd, 2019, 23:44
I see Eva Air have cancelled 600 flights for tomorrow, 24 June, inconveniencing 105,000 passengers. Apparently cabin attendants are going on strike.
All flights from Bangkok to London and back are canecelled until at least 26 June according to their booking site.
More information here https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3728476
Hope it’s sorted before I fly home on 11 July!

Nirish guy
June 24th, 2019, 02:31
How do you stand there re compensation etc if they DO cancel your flight home - do EU rules kick in ? i.e will you be getting another flight home them or another airline AND a large cheque at the end of it all then ( if so great !)

gerefan2
June 24th, 2019, 03:15
The website says that IF you booked direct with the airline they will arrange another flight. If you didn’t then to consult your travels agent. I booked through an agent. I’m hoping it’s all sorted by then...fingers firmly crossed.

joe552
June 24th, 2019, 03:17
One of the reasons I prefer to book directly with the airline.

gerefan2
June 24th, 2019, 03:20
Yes Joe, I’m beginning to think that the extra £50 or so may be worth it!

goji
June 25th, 2019, 05:28
Yes Joe, I’m beginning to think that the extra £50 or so may be worth it!

If I exclude the most dodgy of the booking companies, the difference is usually nearer to £10 ~ 25.
There may often be one booking company about £25 below all the rest, but I've never heard of them and when clicking through to their site, there is a phone number to call. At that point, I quit and have a choice between booking direct, or through a reputable booking company.
Direct means less chance of fouling up my meal reservation & so on, so I go direct.

arsenal
June 25th, 2019, 08:59
I always use a booking site and in my experience it makes zero difference to anything. Once you've booked you become the airline's customer and passenger with all the same entitlements as someone who booked direct.

'Stuck' in Thailand during the airport sit in I contacted Jet (sadly now defunct but they had the most attractive cabin crew boys ever) direct and arranged everything through them despite having booked through Opodo. And recently for a flight booked with trip.com I then contacted Cathay to tell them I'd fucked up slightly and only had an hour in Hong Kong to change planes. They too did the business and whisked me through to the connecting flight.

Flights cancelled while you're in Thailand. Thank you, don't mind if I do. Cancelled while still in your home country. Hurricane levels of fury and frustration.

Oliver2
June 25th, 2019, 13:59
Cancelled on day of departure from LHR? An hour's delay is enough to infuriate me....that first night in BKK (alone, as it happens) is always one of my favourites. Any late arrival screws-up my plans.
I continue to recommend EVA's air-miles scheme; excellent lounges in BKK and LHR (shared) and preferential treatment if there's a problem. Plus one up-grade from Premium to Business Class every three round -trips- which for me means once a year.
The longest delay I've had on EVA ( seventy round trips) is three hours. It's a good record. A recent customer survey reported in the UK media last month rated it third in terms of customer satisfaction world-wide.

gerefan2
June 25th, 2019, 23:31
Of the three airlines that fly direct from LHR to BKK, Eva wins hands down.

Oliver..is that one free upgraded round trip for every three journeys or is it one single flight which is upgraded?

Arsenal...yes it’s ok to be stuck here but there is the question of an overstay...UK travel arrangements...some work days...hmmm ....anyway I hope it is all settled by my departure date.

Oliver2
June 26th, 2019, 15:05
Alas! one journey only. I always choose the return. My morale on the outward flight is much higher...and I need cheering-up on the way home. One word of warning; as I found out this year to my chagrin, the very cheapest prices (I think they call them "special) do not allow upgrades. Read the small print.

Up2U
June 29th, 2019, 20:26
The strike has ended. Union accepts company offer.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1704188/eva-airways-strike-expected-to-end

pennyboy
June 29th, 2019, 20:57
Sadly EU rules states that a strike is considered outwith the control of the airline. However if you booked direct with the airline they are obliged to offer you an alternative flight or a full refund but no big cheque. The strike is now apparently over so I hope my flight to BKK on Tuesday goes ahead ok.

gerefan2
June 29th, 2019, 21:48
Pennyboy
I don’t know where you are flying from, but if it’s London then you should be ok.
You can check here...
https://booking.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/B2C/flight-status.aspx
Gives all the cancelled flights....seems London ones are on again from Monday

Up2U
June 30th, 2019, 15:28
Whoa! It ain't over yet.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1704556/eva-air-fails-to-sign-agreement-with-union-strike-continues

Oliver2
June 30th, 2019, 21:44
Puzzling. My google search took me to the Bangkok Post site as Up2U says. Other sites- the local Taiwan ones- say that the strike is over. EVA's own site claims that BR67 (Bkk-Lhr) is flying tomorrow.

Up2U
July 1st, 2019, 08:06
I'm puzzled too. A friend flies tomorrow from TPE to BKK and is scheduled(before it showed cancel)

Oliver2
July 1st, 2019, 13:12
EVA's BR67 has left Tapei as I write......over an hour late but in the air!

pennyboy
July 2nd, 2019, 15:36
Pennyboy
I don’t know where you are flying from, but if it’s London then you should be ok.
You can check here...
https://booking.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/B2C/flight-status.aspx
Gives all the cancelled flights....seems London ones are on again from Monday

Thanks. Flight on 1st July operated ok but with about 2 hours delay. Have checked today and flight has left BKK for LHR and due to arrive in London on schedule.
So to quote from W1A "That's all good then"

gerefan2
July 2nd, 2019, 20:16
Yes, and hopefully mine back to London will be ok on 11 July.

I’m sure there will be some disruption after all of this so a 2 hour delay is far better than it could have been!

Up2U
July 2nd, 2019, 20:19
Picked up a friend at Suvarnaphumi today. BR67, on schedule, no problems.

Nirish guy
July 3rd, 2019, 00:21
A friend also flew from SGN KUL and then KUL to TPE with no problems this evening, on checking his flights for him from here there WERE a ton of international flights still showing as cancelled so they're obviously still having some major issues.

Here EVA's website which shows their cancelled flights, updated live, just in case its of any use to anyone.....

https://booking.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/B2C/flight-status-erc.aspx?lang=en-global&cmstitle=erc-note1966&date=20190701-20190721&airport=TPE%2FTSA%2FRMQ%2FKHH&Orderby=&reqtime=&ACTCODE=&REASON=&fbclid=IwAR1hWZe42Ecut5hxBuFF5XB02VN7XCdrwPbogvYdL YvTfD6WEX6DR1hAoPw

Chuai-Duai
July 3rd, 2019, 16:43
I flew back with EVA to the UK yesterday (2 July). The Captain apologised for a delay caused by a cabin crew dispute but nothing really effected me. We were a bit late but nothing out of the ordinary.

GWMinUS
July 4th, 2019, 13:30
QUOTE "Here EVA's website which shows their cancelled flights, updated live, just in case its of any use to anyone....."

Very interesting to review their web site. It shows most of the EVA Flights from the USA to Taiwan are Cancelled.
Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles
I imagine EVA is placing passengers on China Air Flights??
Does anyone in the US know??

Chuai-Duai
July 7th, 2019, 22:53
According to the story here:
https://simpleflying.com/eva-strike-over/
The EVA strike is over.

Oliver2
July 8th, 2019, 13:40
Just in time for my flight in September!

Chuai-Duai
July 8th, 2019, 14:29
Just in time for my flight in September!

You should be OK as according to the agreement "The union agreed not to stage another strike for at least three years, which means no more walkouts from July 6, 2019 to July 5, 2022."

The more I read about the disruption caused the more I realise how lucky I was that my flight went so smoothly. I knew nothing about the strike and the first I heard about it was from the Captain on the plane itself.

Oliver2
July 8th, 2019, 21:26
I'm delighted for you! It looks as if we share the same panic when any potential cause disruption threatens our trips to Thailand. September....yes, typhoons! The one after that is in January. January? bad weather in LHR!