PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Constable ... (a wet Hua Hin story)

Smiles
June 17th, 2019, 12:16
Some call it boredom, some call it observation, some call it heaven.
But whatever you want to call it, it's part of my life, and has been for seven or eight years now: once a week, with hardly a miss I go down to Hua Hin Beach. Alone almost always, I'd rather have it that way ... good for inner contemplation of a thousand things, talking to one's self is a luxury, and comical when one's looks over at one's neighbour-under-the brolly who is peering at me after some time. My lips hardly move by the way so they have to look quickly.
On the beach I bring a small pillow as the wooden chair struts are quite difficult to abide after a while. And my tablet, with 100 books swimming around in the memory pool always come along for the ride. (Right now I'm deeply into 'The Guns of August' which frankly I should have done 40 years ago, but didn't. It's a long ~~ almost intimidating ~~ and grand book and Tuchman's elegant prose is hard to beat).
I bring my phone in case Pot gets into an accident and ends up in hospital or jail. Sunglasses (for protection as well as leering unforeseen the large gaggle of handsome Thai Guys who strut along the beach, in front of me, bulges in front and bubble butts going past, a-plenty. I salute them all) money, charger, reading glasses, my camera for the unexpected photo ops in this post. I'm in there for hours: downing Som Tum, perhaps Pad Thai, definitely large bottles of Leo.

And yesterday, the clouds came out of nowhere and a downpour ensued but scuttled away as quietly as it arrived. Being under a few umbrellas was not good enough so all the delicate items were dumped unceremoniously into a plastic bag. I was left with just myself and the rains, starting to drip from my nose. The staff pulled out more plastic covers which were strung up under the main umbrellas, and as I was now alone I looked up and found a rigmarole of colour which I could only think of as a Kandinsky.

Love the wire struts holding the umbrella up. The blue umbrella folding itself up.

And then Kandinsky left the field, and another giant came sloshing in ...

But before the rain started there were warnings galore, though the poor sods unprepared took note and ignored it. This is the start of rainy season in this neck of the woods. Right now they are not every day encumbrances, but they will be soon.
I had already watched the giant cauliflower of rain-filled dark dirty-white by now, ready to drop the load ... they were miles still out to sea but getting closer.
But what I really was intrigued about on this particular afternoon, in this place, at this time with these great clouds above was that I had seen this nature before: in the stately Victoria and Albert Museum in London, around 30-35 years ago, which housed many great artists including John Constable. And John Constable ~ among many themes ~ inundated himself with his love of cloud formations. He painted hundreds of them.

This cloud was the start of Le Deluge. Slowly at first, but the bottoms became blackish and you could see the rain showers dropping everything far out in the gulf. Coming this way.

And Constable saw it as well, sitting on my shoulder. His painting is much more angry than the photo, but neither has yet touched down ... and once it was my camera was under wraps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Closing in now. Tourists-under-umbrellas are leaving quickly, heaven forbid that they should get a drop on their noggins. The last person to stay hunkered down in my conclave was a middle aged Thai lady listening to her Bluetooth. Her back to the sea ~ and Mr Constable ~ bouncing her head to the music.
I was cloud-watching.

I loved the funnel of light in my photo, dropping from a dark area in the cloud.

And voila, Constable's funnel is there as well on close to the same degree. I like his much better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And then sun. The blue scrubbed away ~ in bits and drabs ~ the grey/white of the monsters, and Hua Hin went back to normal, i.e. my som tum and beloved beer.

Constable went back to his wonderful paintings and a pint in the local with his rival, Turner.

How much is an "off" these days they asked me?

arsenal
June 17th, 2019, 13:05
What a lovely post. I've only ever associated Constable with his horribly twee picturesque countryside Oh My England My England paintings so his seascapes are a revelation. I'd love to see what my two favourite artists, Hopper or his virtual opposite, Lowry would have painted in Pattaya.

snotface
June 17th, 2019, 15:30
Nice post Smiles, thanks. The painting most likely to come to my mind here in Pattaya is Munch's The Scream.

If you haven't been already, you might enjoy an exhibition currently running at Rivercity in Bangkok (From Monet to Kandinsky, until the end of July I think). I went a couple of weeks ago. It's somewhat unusual in that the main part of the exhibition is a sort of son et lumiere show in a darkened room featuring enlarged images of (according to the catalogue) some 1500 paintings of about 20 artists from the late-19th to early-20th centuries. The images flash and flutter against the surrounding walls to appropriate musical accompaniment; there are 'graphic enhancements' to many of the images. A conventional, sedate art gallery experience it certainly ain't, but it kind of grew on me. Definitely not suitable for anyone prone to fits (you aren't, are you, Smiles? - except figuratively on gay message boards:mocking_mini:).

joe552
June 17th, 2019, 15:50
What a great post for a Monday morning, Smiles. Thank you so much for taking the trouble.

Smiles
June 17th, 2019, 15:59
" ... The painting most likely to come to my mind here in Pattaya is Munch's The Scream.
:)):D:dirol_mini:
I have read about that exhibition about a month ago, then, typically, forgot about it and the dates. Thanks for providing that info to jog my brain.

Brad the Impala
June 18th, 2019, 00:44
Lovely post, and photos and paintings. Thanks.

francois
June 18th, 2019, 08:42
I'd love to see what my two favourite artists, Hopper or his virtual opposite, Lowry would have painted in Pattaya.

Hopper would make Pattaya even more depressing than it is.

arsenal
June 18th, 2019, 09:24
True. I love the pure dynamism of Turner, even the weather often seems angry. Constable always reminds me of the art produced by the likes of Mao's China and the original Kim's North Korea. The proletariat living the agrarian dream.

latintopxxx
June 19th, 2019, 03:30
what a great post, enjoyed it so much that I've reread it several times.

Nirish guy
June 19th, 2019, 05:16
Yes that was a lovely relaxing interlude from the usual posts here and whilst unfortunately my understanding and appreciation of "Art" reaches to little more than liking the pretty pictures I at least DO appreciate the skill involved plus the end product and undoubted talents of most of the artists who paint the pretty pictures .......then of course you go and get the whole "modern art" thing and that just totally melts my head usually as I inevitablly have no idea what I'm looking at or what it's meant to represent or be - which the arty crowd of course LOVE as they proudly tell me " you just dont get it" - and they're right.

Mind you I often find then that you get lots of THE following sort of assholes walking around modern art installations and when the following happens I tend to giggle a lot as I watch them making dicks of themselves -and even worse then trying to waffle their way out of the situation when busted by describing the ephemeral qualities of the works they're standing viewing.....such as what happened with the following great "art piece" :) .......

To speed things along let me add the caption and the link re that pic !! :-)

"Eyeglasses on Museum Floor Began as Teenagers’ Prank" !!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/arts/sfmoma-glasses-prank.html

a447
June 19th, 2019, 14:41
then of course you go and get the whole "modern art" thing and that just totally melts my head usually as I inevitablly have no idea what I'm looking at or what it's meant to represent or be - which the arty crowd of course LOVE as they proudly tell me " you just dont get it" - and they're right.

Andy Warhol summed it up best when he said:

"Art is what you can get away with."

Nirish guy
June 19th, 2019, 17:20
Which reminds me of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes Cartoon Sketch ( which I have mounted on the wall in my office actually) which says "The problem with being avant-Garde is knowing who's putting on who !" So, very true !!

Smiles
June 19th, 2019, 18:26
Well, I'm in the camp of the "Sorry-but-it doesn't-match-my-furniture" species . . . surrounded by tigers, philistines, Trump Lovers, the lazy-brained, and the depraved.

I found the well-placed spectacles above wonderfully intense, full of deeply held emotion, and fervently enlightened: indeed, Vermeer-like. I did cry for a short time.

bkkguy
June 19th, 2019, 19:17
Which reminds me of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes Cartoon Sketch

which reminded me of one of my favourite Steven Wright jokes:

I have the world’s largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you’ve seen some of it.