View Full Version : finger prints

aot871
June 17th, 2019, 06:02
I have read on here , that finger prints are now being taken at passport control when entering thailand at bkk . Is this a random check or does every one have to do it? If so it must really increase the time it now takes

gerefan2
June 17th, 2019, 06:22
Correct, I came through there the other day and everyone was being fingerprinted. Add to that the delays caused by the new machines playing up and this caused further delays. There were staff wearing shirts with “forensics” on them trying to get those machines working again. Lots of people had to change queues because of this.
I began to think to myself how many other countries do this?? I couldn’t think of any...

Nirish guy
June 17th, 2019, 06:27
From memory Malaysia did the last time I entered there plus a few other places I've been that I cant quite think of just now, I dont think it's considered that weird anymore and to me a safer bet than some overworked passport controller just doing a quick visual face scan on someone who could be up to 10 years older than the pic they're looking at.

gerefan2
June 17th, 2019, 06:31
It would make more sense to me if your passport included your fingerprints and the machines did a positive check there and then. Maybe that is to come?

sglad
June 17th, 2019, 09:25
It would make more sense to me if your passport included your fingerprints and the machines did a positive check there and then. Maybe that is to come?

It wouldn't make sense because it would remove the additional layer of security for which it was intended ie the physical fingerprint of the passport holder must match the fingerprint in the database. If the fingerprints were only in the passport without additional physical verification, then someone carrying a fake passport or somebody else's passport might actually get away with it.

neddy3
June 17th, 2019, 13:11
Singapore have been recording thumbprints for at least one year already.

I have not experienced this elsewhere.

Moses
June 17th, 2019, 13:17

Most passports today have record of fingerprints of the owner in the chip installed in passport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

arsenal
June 17th, 2019, 13:32
Passports plus visas plus the facial recognition photos plus now fingerprints and in the future a full DNA test perhaps. As more and more people are flying countries are taking longer and longer to allow people through immigration. Perhaps in the future someone will realise that people are on planes for hours with nothing to do and actually a well trained official could process everyone prior to landing and give them a wristband to speed them through.

Moses
June 17th, 2019, 13:47
Passports plus visas plus the facial recognition photos plus now fingerprints and in the future a full DNA test perhaps. As more and more people are flying countries are taking longer and longer to allow people through immigration. Perhaps in the future someone will realise that people are on planes for hours with nothing to do and actually a well trained official could process everyone prior to landing and give them a wristband to speed them through.

In Korea's Incheon airport they have installed non-manned checkpoints where people with biometric passports use verification on entry/exit to/from Korea. 15 sec per passenger. Very useful.

frequent
June 17th, 2019, 14:00
Singapore have been recording thumbprints for at least one year already. I have not experienced this elsewhere.The US has been recording fingerprints for all non-US residents arriving at airports for around 15 years - shortly after 7-11. Applicants for visas for some countries at the VfS office in Bangkok must supply biometric information including fingerprints although they are not verified at the port of entry

aot871
June 17th, 2019, 15:47
How do they do the testing at bkk

joe552
June 17th, 2019, 15:54
Can I ask an obvious question? Roughly how much longer does it take to get through Immigration at BKK now? I know it varies depending on the time of day, etc, but a rough idea would be good. Thanks.

AsDaRa
June 17th, 2019, 15:56
I arrived number 14 and I had to take finger prints indeed. But it said that if you already have taken fingerprints next time you only need to make prints for your right hand.

So if I understand it correctly during my next holiday I only need to put the right hand on the machine.

Queues were indeed longer.

Also I noticed they do check your immigration card. I had written down the flight number not good on the card and the officer gave it back to me for correction. How she knew it wasn't ok I don't know, but she was right.

AsDaRa
June 17th, 2019, 15:58
Can I ask an obvious question? Roughly how much longer does it take to get through Immigration at BKK now? I know it varies depending on the time of day, etc, but a rough idea would be good. Thanks.

I think about 7 to 10 minutes. Queues were longer number 14 around 10.50 am, but all in all I think I had to wait maybe 10 minutes longer than normally.

gerefan2
June 17th, 2019, 16:46
It took me 20 + minutes to get through the other day and that was through Fast Track!
These machines appear to be in their infancy and causing a lot of trouble.
Aot....you put your hand on a glass face and it seems to take a pic.

gerefan2
June 17th, 2019, 16:53
Perhaps in the future someone will realise that people are on planes for hours with nothing to do and actually a well trained official could process everyone prior to landing and give them a wristband to speed them through.

Don’t see how you can have that many “trained officials” on all the thousands of flights every day around the world! And everyone a lost revenue seat.

However what would work would be, say a UK immigration office at Swampy ( or any other popular route) where they could do all the nausea as you sit waiting for your flight. Get the wristband and skip immigration on arrival.

The same as they do for the Channel Tunnel...enter Europe on the English side and vice versa, and just get off the train on arrival.

arsenal
June 17th, 2019, 17:12
Simple gerefan2. A $2.00 charge on every seat of the airlines that choose to participate. Half to the airline more than covers their profit per seat and half to the destination country to cover salaries, training etc. Or one of the cabin staff could do it. After all, many countries already make the airlines responsible for ensuring passengers have the correct visa before they're allowed to board. This is just an extension of that.

Your person at Swampy couldn't process 400 people in the two hours before departure. Impossible.

gerefan2
June 17th, 2019, 17:56
Your person at Swampy couldn't process 400 people in the two hours before departure. Impossible.

I didn’t say a person. I said “a UK Immigration Office”.

That would include automatic machines and only need staff for those passengers needing a UK visa. Of the 400 per aircraft that would be very few. The rest ( the majority) scan their own passports easily in two hours.

Uk Border Force would be out of their mind allowing Cabin Crew, who unless working for BA would not even be UK Citizens (trained or not) to run immigration!

arsenal
June 17th, 2019, 21:25
gerefan2 wrote.
"I didn’t say a person. I said “a UK Immigration Office”.

That would include automatic machines and only need staff for those passengers needing a UK visa. Of the 400 per aircraft that would be very few. The rest ( the majority) scan their own passports easily in two hours."

Open for the 24 hours that Swampy operates?
How many staff are required? At least three per day.
Operated by citizens of which country?
Situated where, land side or air side, at the gate or in duty free?
Who is going to pay for this?

We are talking about different subjects. I'm suggesting a solution to a worldwide problem and the method to finance it and you're suggesting something that is convenient for you.

gerefan2
June 17th, 2019, 21:55
Do you Know how many aircraft are flying daily into the UK alone? Where are you going to get all those staff to solve your perceived “worldwide problem”?
And have you thought out what those staff are going to do when they arrive back in the UK. Dead head back to Swampy? Fly 24 hours just to stamp 300 passports?
Your proposal poses more questions than it answers.

My idea of an immigration office at the point of departure has already been used in the UK, at the Channel Tunnel and has operated like that for decades without problems.it is staffed , in France,by Uk Border Force.

The same could happen at Swampy and other reciprocating countries. I’m sure the UK authorities would accept UK Embassy or Consular staff doing the job rather than “trained Air Hostesses”.!

Anyways it’s all academic, it would never happen!

Brad the Impala
June 18th, 2019, 00:36
Not sure that the wristband denoting cleared for entrance is the securest of ideas!

Nirish guy
June 18th, 2019, 05:30
[QUOTE=gerefan2;258643 Anyways it’s all academic [/QUOTE]

Correct - and anyway you're ALL missing the point in that we, as gays, should of course be exempt from all their stupid tedious rules, the same re baggage allowance limits ! I mean how very dare they expect US to adhere to the same baggage weight restrictions as straight people as EVERYONE knows that gay people always carry more baggage ! In EVERY possible way it seems ! Hell some of our toiletries and shoe bags weight more than some straight peoples 2 week suit cases !

No, I'm sorry I think rather than try and fix the system it's about time us gays rose up and actively fought against it - no more annoying passport controls where we have to display old photos of ourselves when we used to have hair, no more silly baggage limits - and NO more "only 2 bottles of spirits allowed" when buying Duty free anymore either while we're at it ! I mean what IS the point of us having a world wide Gay Union to fight for our rights ( headed by Elton John it seems) if we all dont mince on Downing Street occasionally to campaign vigorously for active change !!

How VERY DARE they ! :)

arsenal
June 18th, 2019, 06:22
Yes. And a boarding pass that doubles as a free ticket to Mama Mia would be nice.

frequent
June 18th, 2019, 13:20
Yes. And a boarding pass that doubles as a free ticket to Mama Mia would be nice.Mama Mia 2 was on the IFE last time I flew

arsenal
June 18th, 2019, 15:09
Of course I meant the show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamma_Mia!

joe552
June 20th, 2019, 10:19
Dublin Airport offers 'pre clearance' for US bound flights - meaning you go through all the immigration rigamarole in Dublin before you board your flight to the US. It's a big selling point for DUB and very successful. DUB is becoming a very popular transit stop for European travellers.

joe552
June 20th, 2019, 10:21
Correct - and anyway you're ALL missing the point in that we, as gays, should of course be exempt from all their stupid tedious rules, the same re baggage allowance limits ! I mean how very dare they expect US to adhere to the same baggage weight restrictions as straight people as EVERYONE knows that gay people always carry more baggage ! In EVERY possible way it seems ! Hell some of our toiletries and shoe bags weight more than some straight peoples 2 week suit cases !

No, I'm sorry I think rather than try and fix the system it's about time us gays rose up and actively fought against it - no more annoying passport controls where we have to display old photos of ourselves when we used to have hair, no more silly baggage limits - and NO more "only 2 bottles of spirits allowed" when buying Duty free anymore either while we're at it ! I mean what IS the point of us having a world wide Gay Union to fight for our rights ( headed by Elton John it seems) if we all dont mince on Downing Street occasionally to campaign vigorously for active change !!

How VERY DARE they ! :)

NIrish, you're an absolute tonic! Thanks.

colmx
June 21st, 2019, 01:37
Dublin Airport offers 'pre clearance' for US bound flights - meaning you go through all the immigration rigamarole in Dublin before you board your flight to the US. .

I did this last week for a trip to NYC, cleared normal airport security, then a second customs security and finally immigration check where the CBP did a 2 minute interview and sent me on through to the "US soil in Ireland". All in the additional checks took 20 minutes.

When I arrived to JFK it was as a domestic passenger and here were no checks whatsoever. I was able to go straight to baggage carousel, collect my bag and exit the airport.

Nirish guy
June 21st, 2019, 02:09
I did th Dublin USA clearance a few months ago and it worked a treat - although I felt slightly cheated as Id already warned my BF ( travelling with me) that the immigration officers who might interview you had a reputation for being real cunts sometimes and for giving you an unnecessarily hard time - and as he was Flipino he was SURE to get it even more so.

Knowing it wouldn't be all THAT bad I had him wound up to the hilt just for fun and the poor guy was a bag of nerves entering the hall - only it turned out for the immigration officer to be a Filipino lady from his home city and he and she hit it off like a house on fire ! I had to almost stop them from standing chatting to drag him away as they stood they exchanging gossip and tips and info as to where to go when in NYC etc !

Unfortunately I think he now thinks that ALL US border checks are like that and if so he may be in for a rude awakening the next time he travels there!

goji
June 22nd, 2019, 18:08
I think Cambodia were taking finger prints from the first time I entered, over a decade ago. Processing times were comparable to Thailand.

I have flown into Malaysia twice in 2017 and on both trips, immigration was rapid, with fingerprints taken and the whole thing done in less than a minute with no queue.
The fingerprinting can be done at the same time as the rest of the processing, since the customer puts his fingers on the reader whilst the immigration officer is checking the passport. Fast immigration is easily achievable if the people managing the operation have a good mental attitude.

Also, I don't understand why e-gates do not become the global standard, with fingerprints included as well.

Automatic inspection is very reliable in factories where quality is critical, so if immigration was run by a high class private company, it would be orders of magnitude better than what we see from the ****ed up public sector in most countries.
Why is it that automatic inspection is assuring high quality 24-7 in factories, yet in European countries like the UK, Spain & Germany e-passport gates might all be working, or all switched off leaving queues ? The contract should require 99% of the machines to be working ! The problem must be the screwed up attitude of the people running the operation.