PDA

View Full Version : Problems using cheap Thai phones in the West?

cdnmatt
June 9th, 2019, 04:07
I'm curious, anyone else buy a cheap $20 Nokia phone in Thaialnd, then proceed to try and plug a new SIM card into it back home in a Western country, and find out it doesn't work? This question is geared towards Norther Americans than Europeans.

At least a LONG time ago I remember there were two types of cell phone protocol, one being GSM used in Europe (and Asia, I'm guessing?), and another in North America. I don't know if those two protocols still exist or not, and obviously things like a modern iPhone can handle both.

I have a cheap $20 Nokia phone bought in Khon Kaen, new Canada SIM card in it, and it's not working for some reason. Family and friends say the phone is locked, which is retarded -- it's a $20 Nokia phone, they don't lock those. My best guess is that the phone only supports the SGM cell messaging protocol since it's such a cheap phone, and doesn't support whatever protocol North America uses.

Could be completely wrong though. Anyone else in North America try to use a cheap cell phone bought in Thailand back in their home country? Any issues?

gerefan2
June 9th, 2019, 08:04
I would never buy anything cheap in Thailand. In fact I would not normally but anything in Thailand!

frequent
June 9th, 2019, 08:12
I would never buy anything cheap in Thailand. In fact I would not normally but anything in Thailand!You only buy expensive companionship then?

frequent
June 9th, 2019, 08:17
I'm curious, anyone else buy a cheap $20 Nokia phone in Thaialnd, then proceed to try and plug a new SIM card into it back home in a Western country, and find out it doesn't work? This question is geared towards Norther Americans than Europeans.

At least a LONG time ago I remember there were two types of cell phone protocol, one being GSM used in Europe (and Asia, I'm guessing?), and another in North America. I don't know if those two protocols still exist or not, and obviously things like a modern iPhone can handle both.

I have a cheap $20 Nokia phone bought in Khon Kaen, new Canada SIM card in it, and it's not working for some reason. Family and friends say the phone is locked, which is retarded -- it's a $20 Nokia phone, they don't lock those. My best guess is that the phone only supports the SGM cell messaging protocol since it's such a cheap phone, and doesn't support whatever protocol North America uses.

Could be completely wrong though. Anyone else in North America try to use a cheap cell phone bought in Thailand back in their home country? Any issues?It's not a question of which technology - GSM or CDMA - as both are supported in North America - https://www.techradar.com/au/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/verizon-cdma-explained-1189551

The issue is what GSM bands the Nokia phone supports vs. what bands are being used in your area. Look at the phone specs - this Wikipedia article will help you understand - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

Smiles
June 9th, 2019, 09:01
" ... Family and friends say the phone is locked, which is retarded ..."You certainly use the word "retarded" a lot. Loosing family and friends by the bucket full I suppose. I remember that every Thai boy friend you've had has sooner or later been stamped as "retarded".
Does anyone on this board actually give a shit about your phone problems? If anyone does ... prepare to be called a "retard".
(What a loser!)

frequent
June 9th, 2019, 09:07
Does anyone on this board actually give a shit about your phone problems? If anyone does ... prepare to be called a "retard".
(What a loser!)As I have responded and given him the answer I guess that puts me in the "retarded" category.

Smiles
June 9th, 2019, 09:52
As I have responded and given him the answer I guess that puts me in the "retarded" category.If you insist.

Captain Swing
June 9th, 2019, 09:58
To continue off on the side track here, I had a Thai friend who referred to people we might have once called retarded as "autistic." Usually incorrect, but maybe more PC. One time he got his words crossed, though, and told me that a certain neighbor girl was "acoustic." I tried to wait until he was out of earshot before I laughed.

frequent
June 9th, 2019, 13:05
If you insist.Refer my response to lonelywombat about the unexamined life

Smiles
June 9th, 2019, 15:12
Refer my response to lonelywombat about the unexamined life
Sorry, but we do not speak. Please refer to numerous private messages regarding M. Lonely.
All I can say about the man would be that he is 'nongregarious' ... especially at breakfast. The best one could say would be to quote an observation regarding Lord Grey in the Commons" ... What passion broke through his walled personality was reserved for trout streams and bird calls ... ".
I shall leave it at that.,

frequent
June 9th, 2019, 15:43
Sorry, but we do not speak. Please refer to numerous private messages regarding M. Lonely.
All I can say about the man would be that he is 'nongregarious' ... especially at breakfast. The best one could say would be to quote an observation regarding Lord Grey in the Commons" ... What passion broke through his walled personality was reserved for trout streams and bird calls ... ".
I shall leave it at that.,Oh but a silent breakfast is one of my favourite things. The Bruvvers here in Houston practice it daily as part of their discipline

lonelywombat
June 9th, 2019, 18:09
I shall leave it at that.,

Sounds like you are back on drugs again
I met you once only for breakfast with a former moderator about 8/10 years ago. I told you both I was not well and 3 hours later was picked up by ambulance and admitted to hospital. I stayed there for several days.
Obvious your long time as previous owner has made you even more observant than a doctor.

Smiles
June 9th, 2019, 19:40
" ... Sounds like you are back on drugs again ..."
Where did you get that idea ~ about the drugs and me? Perhaps I've used the well-deserved word "senile" -- regarding you -- one too many times and you now wish to glom on to "the drug thing". But what a screwed up glom you've chosen.

FYI: Me & Drugs

Smoked marrywanna about a dozen times in the very early 70's. Hated it; didn't get it; got paranoid; didn't liked the guys I hung around with; haven't smoked since.
Tried Mescaline, once, in the same early 70's. Hated it. Divorced my hippy friend who pushed it on me.
Tried smoking cigarettes when I was 12, once. Hated it. Vomited. Never smoked nicotine again.
After that, to this day, I've never, ever used drugs. (not counting medicinal drugs ... the less the better on that one).

So where did you get this ridiculous idea that I am on drugs? I really don't care one iota what you think of me on any topic, of any idea, of any of your ingrained stupidty. But I must admit it intrigues me as to where you got this total nonsense about me & drugs in the first place.
Perhaps I was snorting crack during our breakfast nightmare. Was I?

sglad
June 9th, 2019, 19:48
Looney must have seen you coming out of the pharmacy with those little blue pills.

Smiles
June 9th, 2019, 20:00
" ... I told you both I was not well and 3 hours later was picked up by ambulance and admitted to hospital. I stayed there for several days ... "I assume you were on drugs?

(Hasn't THIS topic gone ashtray. :D )

joe552
June 9th, 2019, 23:13
I hadn't noticed, Smiles

joe552
June 10th, 2019, 02:05
A question for cdnmatt. I have often been called a cheap charlie (with good reason) but WHY do you want to use a cheap Thai phone in Canada? A genuine question.

cdnmatt
June 10th, 2019, 02:12
A question for cdnmatt. I have often been called a cheap charlie (with good reason) but WHY do you want to use a cheap Thai phone in Canada? A genuine question.

I decided to quit smoking, and as a result my iPhone ended up in two. This is just some cheap throw away phone laying around, but the SIM doesn't work in it for some reason.

goji
June 10th, 2019, 02:34
The usual way to deal with these things is to google the spec of the phone you have/or are thinking of buying. Spec, supported protocols, frequency bands etc. Then compare with what your network operator provides.

Since most people here won't buy a cheap shitty phone in Thailand, your chances of finding good advice are even worse than normal.

joe552
June 10th, 2019, 05:28
cdnmatt, I love the way your answers often lead to more questions. What is the link between quitting smoking and your iPhone? Good luck with quitting smoking, btw, I tried recently and only managed 6 days.

cdnmatt
June 10th, 2019, 09:42
I quit cold turkey, and nicotenne withdrawals are a bitch.

Two weeks without a cig though, and going strong.

frequent
June 10th, 2019, 11:09
I quit cold turkey, and nicotenne withdrawals are a bitch. Two weeks without a cig though, and going strong.We must assume that the turkey pecked the iPhone into two bits

Smiles
June 10th, 2019, 14:15
I quit cold turkey, and nicotenne withdrawals are a bitch.
Two weeks without a cig though, and going strong.And we are being asked to believe this as well?
But just a quick question: because you're blind and all, do you often miss your mouth when taking a good long suck on the next fag? You know, sometimes up your nose, or in your ear?

Andaman!
June 10th, 2019, 15:01
But just a quick question: because you're blind and all, do you often miss your mouth when taking a good long suck on the next fag? You know, sometimes up your nose, or in your ear?

We know cdnmatt has great difficulty knowing which orifice to use for which purpose. That’s why he spends so much time talking out of his ass.

sglad
June 10th, 2019, 16:57
To continue off on the side track here, I had a Thai friend who referred to people we might have once called retarded as "autistic." Usually incorrect, but maybe more PC. One time he got his words crossed, though, and told me that a certain neighbor girl was "acoustic." I tried to wait until he was out of earshot before I laughed.

Yes, sometimes Thai teenagers tease a slow-witted friend by calling him or her "dek oz" (autistic child). It's not very nice. But if they are in their twenties and dtill using that slur, then they are the ones with the problem.

frequent
June 11th, 2019, 05:01
Yes, sometimes Thai teenagers tease a slow-witted friend by calling him or her "dek oz" (autistic child). It's not very nice. But if they are in their twenties and dtill using that slur, then they are the ones with the problem.The intimate knowledge of Thai society by a 20-something Singaporean who once studied Thai in Chiangmai for a couple of months never ceases to amaze

gerefan2
June 11th, 2019, 17:34
"I would never buy anything cheap in Thailand. In fact I would not normally but anything in Thailand!"

You only buy expensive companionship then?

I would have thought even you would be aware that it is far better to RENT expensive companionship...

frequent
June 11th, 2019, 18:31
I would have thought even you would be aware that it is far better to RENT expensive companionship... Even in Houston

christianpfc
June 15th, 2019, 22:45
FYI: Me & Drugs

Smoked marrywanna about a dozen times in the very early 70's. Hated it; didn't get it; got paranoid; didn't liked the guys I hung around with; haven't smoked since.
Tried Mescaline, once, in the same early 70's. Hated it. Divorced my hippy friend who pushed it on me.
Tried smoking cigarettes when I was 12, once. Hated it. Vomited. Never smoked nicotine again.
After that, to this day, I've never, ever used drugs. (not counting medicinal drugs ... the less the better on that one).

Is that chronological order?

I decided to quit smoking, and as a result my iPhone ended up in two. This is just some cheap throw away phone laying around, but the SIM doesn't work in it for some reason.
What's the connection between quit smoking and broking phone? (Already answered.)
How does a blind man light a cigarette and does not burn himself/others/stuff with it?
How did you get cigarettes in prison? (Or can someone confirm that immigration detention inmates have no access to cigarettes, and above story is a lie?)

sglad
June 16th, 2019, 19:35
The intimate knowledge of Thai society by a 20-something Singaporean who once studied Thai in Chiangmai for a couple of months never ceases to amaze

Nothing to be amazed about if you've lived among Thais in your peer group and immersed yourself in the language and culture. I spent five weeks in 2016 in a homestay in Bangkok while attending intensive language classes at CU. I was in Chiang Mai for a whole year in 2017 on a study abroad programme at CMU. Most of my Thai friends were in their late teens to mid twenties so my familiarity with the lingo should come as no surprise.

What is surprising (some might say amazing) is someone who claims to have lived thirty years in Thailand who only writes about Silom Soi 4 and can't even get that right; someone who writes a report about a trip to Isaan clearly not taken judging from the factual inconsistencies, lack of nuance and over-reliance on cultural cliches and stereotypes and someone who quotes Stickman - the bar-stool 'reporter' - religiously, whom no-one with thirty years of real Thai experience would take seriously. Contrast this with, say, Arsenal's highly personal, visual and anecdotal reviews of Pattaya. Arsenal may be frequently mocked by this someone as a Pattayaphile but no-one could ever doubt that Arsenal has been to Thailand.

frequent
June 17th, 2019, 04:16
Nothing to be amazed about if you've lived among Thais in your peer group and immersed yourself in the language and culture. I spent five weeks in 2016 in a homestay in Bangkok while attending intensive language classes at CU. I was in Chiang Mai for a whole year in 2017 on a study abroad programme at CMU. Most of my Thai friends were in their late teens to mid twenties so my familiarity with the lingo should come as no surprise.

What is surprising (some might say amazing) is someone who claims to have lived thirty years in Thailand who only writes about Silom Soi 4 and can't even get that right; someone who writes a report about a trip to Isaan clearly not taken judging from the factual inconsistencies, lack of nuance and over-reliance on cultural cliches and stereotypes and someone who quotes Stickman - the bar-stool 'reporter' - religiously, whom no-one with thirty years of real Thai experience would take seriously. Contrast this with, say, Arsenal's highly personal, visual and anecdotal reviews of Pattaya. Arsenal may be frequently mocked by this someone as a Pattayaphile but no-one could ever doubt that Arsenal has been to Thailand.Yes, how is Soi Thonglor these days? You seem under the illusion that I claim to have been anywhere near Thailand in my entire life. I’m happily teaching Latin in a Catholic school in Houston

christianpfc
June 26th, 2019, 01:49
...someone who writes a report about a trip to Isaan clearly not taken judging from the factual inconsistencies,...

...and someone who quotes Stickman - the bar-stool 'reporter' - religiously, whom no-one with thirty years of real Thai experience would take seriously.
Please point them out. If I remember correctly, the trip report included the giant toad in Yasothon (I have been after the trip report). I spent a lot of time in Esan, but didn't find any fault in the report.

I read and appreciate stickman. Please share what is not to be taken seriously in stickman.

frequent
June 26th, 2019, 03:41
Please point them out. If I remember correctly, the trip report included the giant toad in Yasothon (I have been after the trip report). I spent a lot of time in Esan, but didn't find any fault in the report.

I read and appreciate stickman. Please share what is not to be taken seriously in stickman.I was particularly entertained by his assertion on my persistently calling arsenal a "pattayaphile"