PDA

View Full Version : Looking for administrative map of Pattaya

AsDaRa
May 29th, 2019, 11:42
I am interested to see a map showing clearly the city limits of the City of Pattaya and the internal division in moo.

Online has lot of contradictory information. If you use Google maps and search for Pattaya you see a huge city, with the city limits going far inland. Other maps I find online show the limits far closer to the sea shore.

Anyone knows the true information and has a good map. Also for me strange that part of the City of Pattaya covers only part of other administrative divisions. For example the City of Pattaya covers only part of the subdistrict Nong Prue, the complete subdistrict Na Kluea and parts of 2 other subdistricts. (If I have to believe what I read online).

Who has the answers and a good map?

pong
May 29th, 2019, 19:09
I am interested to see a map showing clearly the city limits of the City of Pattaya and the internal division in moo.

This is TH, so there are not maps (online), this is a funny feature for farang-only, Thai cannot read maps.https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/images/icons/icon4.png
PTY has a special status (just as the BMA around BKK has, but again same-same but still different) that allows special privileges across those boundaries compared to the normal Thai burocratic system of chiangwat (province), divided in amphoe (muang=capital, with same name and various others), subdivided in ''moo baan''. (khet in BKK). There are also special names for the appointed or elected ''rulers'' of those divisions.https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/images/icons/icon1.png
Most likely I assume the amphoe (which does not bare the name of Pattaya, but Bamlamung, i think) has different boundaries as the special status area of Pattaya ''city'', which causes your confusion. it has no real practical consequences, as you cannot vote anyway for the rulers. only to whom you have to pay the normal maintenence dues=taxes that any city will levy-except that USAers always seem to make a fit about paying any taxes at all.
Probably mr gaybutton in the forum of that name, probably the longest standing honorable contributor and living in the dark (=east of sukhumvir rd) part of PTY may know more.https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/images/icons/icon7.png

AsDaRa
May 29th, 2019, 23:25
Thanks

Yes for Pattaya it is like this:
Thailand -> province Chonburi -> District (Amphoe) Bang Lamung -> City of Pattaya

But I also read that the Amphoe Bang Lamung is divided in subdistricts (Tambon). For example Tambon Na Kluea, Tambon Nong Prue etc.

City of Pattaya occupies Western part of Nong Prue, the complete Tambon of Na Kluea and parts of two other Tambons.

Does this mean that the governments of these subdistricts also have authority in Pattaya over that part of their district which is inside Pattaya?

And I assume you are Thai can you find a good map of Pattaya showing the city limits? I don't trust Google maps that shows Pattaya's eastern border go very far inland.

mahjongguy
May 30th, 2019, 01:15
Does this mean that the governments of these subdistricts also have authority in Pattaya over that part of their district which is inside Pattaya?

It's my understanding that when the City of Pattaya was created its authority superseded those tambons which fell within the City's borders. Meaning that for me living in Jomtien, all of my administrative needs are handled by City Hall.

Up2U
May 30th, 2019, 08:00
The border is in red.

Pattaya City
Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150
https://maps.app.goo.gl/EJ5u6zxTyXrEXGTEA

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 08:55
Yes this is the Google map border of the City. Which I find hard to believe. Are these borders relatively new?

Because I have found some older maps where the city borders are way different.

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 09:00
It's my understanding that when the City of Pattaya was created its authority superseded those tambons which fell within the City's borders. Meaning that for me living in Jomtien, all of my administrative needs are handled by City Hall.

But if this is true, why are the borders of these tambons not changed? Because I have seen maps of these tambons and their areas are also covering the area of the City of Pattaya. If the government of these tambons has no authority in Pattaya why aren't the borders of the tambons changed then?

mahjongguy
May 30th, 2019, 09:34
But if this is true, why are the borders of these tambons not changed?

Pattaya's borders are shown to indicate administrative authority. The old tambon borders are shown to indicate address. Basically, the Land Office and Thailand Post don't reference Pattaya at all.

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 10:34
Pattaya's borders are shown to indicate administrative authority. The old tambon borders are shown to indicate address. Basically, the Land Office and Thailand Post don't reference Pattaya at all.

This is a very helpful answer. Thanks.

So if you live in Pattaya your address doesnt list Pattaya?
Like in Western countries an address consists of a Street name, a Postal code, a City name, State name (or Province name). In Thailand the city part is left off in the address?

PS: can you please go to city hall and ask for a map of the complete city of Pattaya (and preferable with internal moo boundaries). The reason I ask is because I am busy with a GIS application creating an administrative map.

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 11:09
I think I found the correct map. If I use Google translate on below Facebook page the map you see there is the city of Pattaya in borders that will become active next year

https://www.facebook.com/Homebuyersfanpage/posts/628610327273150/

As you can see way different from what Google maps shows and much larger then what other maps shows. I think as of 2020 this is the limit of the City of Pattaya

mahjongguy
May 30th, 2019, 11:45
Even Pattaya City Hall does not have an address in Pattaya City.

91 Moo 5
North Pattaya Road
Nongprue, Banglamung
Chonburi 20150

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 11:56
Even Pattaya City Hall does not have an address in Pattaya City.

91 Moo 5
North Pattaya Road
Nongprue, Banglamung
Chonburi 20150

I think Thailand is the only country in the world, where the city name is not mentioned in an address. How strange and confusing this must be for non-Thai people. It is for me.

I cant find any map online showing the division into moo's.

francois
May 30th, 2019, 15:23
PS: can you please go to city hall and ask for a map of the complete city of Pattaya (and preferable with internal moo boundaries). The reason I ask is because I am busy with a GIS application creating an administrative map.

I can't find city hall on the map. Where is it? :devilsh:

mahjongguy
May 30th, 2019, 15:30
12°56'58.97"n 100°53'34.80"e

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 15:40
I made below map. It is for me very strange the city limits of Pattaya do not align everywhere with the tambon borders. But this map really appears to be the legal truth.

mahjongguy
May 30th, 2019, 16:08
Sure? I can't see all the dotted lines but the shape definitely doesn't match this map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pattaya+City,+Bang+Lamung+District,+Chon+Buri+2015 0/@12.8675004,100.8838859,11.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x310295924d31d7e3:0xa97ff301a9bd1 0ff!8m2!3d12.9235557!4d100.8824551

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 17:44
Yes this is Google maps and Google maps most likely is wrong. (As I said many times already in this thread).
Any map I find online which has the city limits indicated, has them drawn as in above map.
I rendered the map again, but now with white border lines.

Old git
May 30th, 2019, 18:38
In order to get a little exercise, it is not unknown for me to join the Hash House Harriers for a brisk walk through the jungle. The question of maps - and Thailand's conspicuous lack of them for sale - does come up from time to time.

I'm told that the best maps are prepared by the military, and are used by other public offices, but that they are not routinely marketed..

Up2U
May 30th, 2019, 21:56
Yes this is Google maps and Google maps most likely is wrong. (As I said many times already in this thread).
Any map I find online which has the city limits indicated, has them drawn as in above map.
I rendered the map again, but now with white border lines.

I know that parts of Huai Yai, Naklua and all of Nongprue are within the the municipality borders. The white dotted line appears to follow Sukumvit Rd (Hwy 3) or the railroad. Difficult to be more helpful without landmarks.

AsDaRa
May 30th, 2019, 23:26
I know that parts of Huai Yai, Naklua and all of Nongprue are within the the municipality borders. The white dotted line appears to follow Sukumvit Rd (Hwy 3) or the railroad. Difficult to be more helpful without landmarks.

Thank you. Do you have an example map? Why do all maps I find have the borders drawn like I did (see below an example), but all maps have it like this. Google maps with it weird borders is the only exception that I found.

And how you know this? Government official told you?

christianpfc
May 31st, 2019, 01:37
I have an ample collection of maps of Thailand, but from memory none of them addresses your question.

There is a blog http://tambon.blogspot.com/ that might be helpful.

Changwat, Amphoe, Tambon
Everything about the administrative subdivisions of Thailand - history, current news, facts hardly found in English, reviews of corresponding books, the Wikipedia coverage of these entities...

In Bangkok, there are road signs that show borders of police districts, which (always? mostly? sometimes?) correspond with districts in town. Bangkok has large border markers on main roads, but I have never seen such things in Pattaya.

When my passport was stolen in Songkran 2013, I went to a police station in Bangrak, and officers there asked me if my passport was stolen on the Eastern or Western side of Silom road, because that would be another police district.

Up2U
May 31st, 2019, 20:30
Friends who live in eastern Nongprue and within Pattaya but outside the red dotted line. I believe this is map of Pattaya as the legend indicates shows the main roads(blue), primary roads (red) and secondary roads (black), and the red dotted is not a boundary. I would not view this as an administrative map as most of Nongprue and Huai Yai are excluded. A few years ago I did see a map of Pattaya in Pattaya City Hall.

AsDaRa
June 1st, 2019, 02:13
Friends who live in eastern Nongprue and within Pattaya but outside the red dotted line. I believe this is map of Pattaya as the legend indicates shows the main roads(blue), primary roads (red) and secondary roads (black), and the red dotted is not a boundary. I would not view this as an administrative map as most of Nongprue and Huai Yai are excluded. A few years ago I did see a map of Pattaya in Pattaya City Hall.

It is late. I will reply formally tomorrow. But I know a lot more now. From Thai government websites. I found a government site with household statistics and it lists all local government entities and the subdistricts they are in and - if they are only partly in a subdistrict - which moo's of that subdistrict are inside that local administrative area. I can tell you already the dotted line is the Pattaya city boundary. 100% sure. I will give proof tomorrow. The map in the 1978 law that created the City of Pattaya administrative area has this same boundary by the way.

Not sure why your friends think they live in Pattaya because if they truly live to the East of the dotted line they live in Nong Prue municipality. The non-Pattaya part of Nong Prue subdistrict (Tambon) has been elevated to a municipality with the same name and that still existed in 2017. I have zero doubts. Government data proofs it and tomorrow I will give it.

AsDaRa
June 1st, 2019, 11:09
Here the proof.
On this website you see household statistics from 2017, Chonburi province.
http://stat.bora.dopa.go.th/stat/statnew/statTDD/views/showDistrictData.php?rcode=20&statType=1&year=60

Explore it and click on links (pop up windows with statistics appear, with additional links). Just explore it and you will be able to get the following information:
City of Pattaya covers areas of the following tambons (subdistricts):
Nong Prue (partly): 67076 inhabitants
Nong Pla Lai (partly): 2265 inhabitantas
Huai Yai (partly): 165 inhabitants
Na Kluea (completely): 49005 inhabitants

You can also see there that there is a Nong Prue muncipality in Chonburi consiting of the rest of the Nong Prue tambon.

I do have to redraw the map with the information gained and some new map data found. But I do notice substantial differences in maps online regarding tambon borders, even maps on government websites.

Go to http://wikimapia.org and go to Thailand and zoom in on Pattaya. You can see the areas of the local jurisdictions. Even some moo boundaries show. Hover your mouse over areas.

If your friends who live to the east of the dotted line say they live in Pattaya then they are wrong. Maybe in day to day use people there say they live in Pattaya but strictly speaking they do not. Like many people in Las Vegas say they live in Las Vegas while they don't. I think even the Las Vegas strip is strictly speaking not in the City of Las Vegas

But there is now with all above data no shred of doubt that the border of the city of Pattaya is as indicated in the maps above. (I only need to redraw the tambon borders a little bit).

dinagam
June 1st, 2019, 11:27
I'm not surprised if the CIA is already updated on this travail.