PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Hotel closed 1 June to 15 July

gerefan2
May 4th, 2019, 04:15
Just been browsing the Tarntawan website for a possible booking in June.

The booking page is blocked off from 1 June until 15 July.

I recall Nirish saying something about refurbishments being due. About time too!

colmx
May 4th, 2019, 06:11
As a (non) fan of the Tarntawan I can only hope that they close for 1 year and 14 days to carry out the much needed upgrades
Better still demolish it and build something new... its the closest thing BKK has to Eros in terms if decrepit-ness!

Nirish guy
May 4th, 2019, 11:33
How DARE you Sir ! If we were in a different era I'd be insisting on seeing you at dawn with pistols drawn ! ......well, maybe about 11.30am as I dont like to get up too early and pistols does seem a little extreme, maybe perhaps just two wet towels to be flicked at each other until you withdraw your scurrilous comment about our beloved Temple of Pleasures !

On a positive note lets hope it keeps the our beloved Tarntawan KEEPS same ethos but just with more updated rooms now perhaps.

On a total side note - a friend who was in Bkk last week asked me did I want anything from Bk while he was there and I replied (jokingly) "Oh yes, one of my Chocolate bars from Tawrntawan mini bar please" - to which I received the following in the pic below just a few days later by courier !

It seems the English don't quite get our twisted sense Irish of humour ( ever :-) ) mind you when I thanked him and pointed this out his reply was that perhaps I just didn't get his :-) he may have a point about that ! :-) either way as I'm about 40 bus of chocolate bars up its a win win for me !! :-)

* For clarity no he didn't buy the old stock from Tarntawan before their closed - well, i THINK anyway ! :-))

frequent
May 4th, 2019, 14:40
...maybe perhaps just two wet towels to be flicked at each other ...Handbags at ten paces?

dinagam
May 4th, 2019, 15:53
Mrs May and Mrs Thatcher?

ceejay
May 5th, 2019, 08:19
Mrs May and Mrs Thatcher?

You are joking. That would be no contest. One good glare from Thatcher would turn May to stone on the spot.

kjun12
May 9th, 2019, 13:39
As a (non) fan of the Tarntawan I can only hope that they close for 1 year and 14 days to carry out the much needed upgrades
Better still demolish it and build something new... its the closest thing BKK has to Eros in terms if decrepit-ness!

You are so correct. The bedding is sometime filthy.

Oliver2
May 9th, 2019, 14:16
Really? Filthy bedding? Mine is changed every day. Decrepit? ageing and in need of refurbishing certainly. But isn't that why its closing for a period?
Another forum is covering this story....with significantly more balance I have to say.

colmx
May 10th, 2019, 02:06
These were sent to me by a friend that can't believe that Oliver and others are defending the Tarntawan and claiming clean bedding
Just look at the filth (blood? Brains?) on the valance sheet... Just because the top sheet is white doesn't mean that the contagions can't make their way upwards

The place should be burned to the ground

sglad
May 10th, 2019, 05:03
Bed bug stains? Ewww. THIS is the hotel to which we've been subjected to endless discussions on? What a dump!

gerefan2
May 10th, 2019, 07:04
The place should be burned to the ground

And while you have the fire going throw your “friends” trainers, which are on the floor,into it as well!!

dinagam
May 10th, 2019, 08:38
The stains could well be from the chocolate bars that the customers are fond of having, post-coital.

colmx
May 11th, 2019, 07:06
And while you have the fire going throw your “friends” trainers, which are on the floor,into it as well!!
As it happens my "friend" is/was a member of this forum but has abandoned this forum in favour of the civilized world on GT/GG forum, where he now posts regular updates
As usual the c*nts on this board have made people move to new pastures(note I am not saying gerefan2 is one of these c*nts, but my friend might for criticizing his choice of footwear!)

But can we at least all agree that the valance in the pics is DISGUSTING and stop defending the Tarntawan like its a national treasure! its not even a polished turd!

Oliver2
May 11th, 2019, 14:37
For heaven's sake, calm down! Some like Tarntawan- and I'm returning next week- and some don't. Why the passion? why the offensive language?

Nirish guy
May 11th, 2019, 16:32
The stains could well be from the chocolate bars that the customers are fond of having, post-coital.

Speaking personally you could well be right about that ! :-) However I still fear that SOME of those other stains on the bed etc may well not even be chocolate - I was about to say to say but I wasn't speaking personally there however......but hey, if the cap fits ....... lol

Ha Actually in the past I recall that I DID actually fall victim to the dreaded chocolate bar in bed over night issue, where I had fallen asleep "post coitious" as you say and forget that there had been said bar of chocolate lying on the bed ......well, just try telling the house maid in the morning in the TARNTAWAN that "NO, HONESTLY, it's ok, its JUST chocolate !" Poor girl had a look of "I really dont earn enough for this crap" (or just chocolate as it turned out ! as she changed the sheets ;)

Oliver2
May 11th, 2019, 17:13
My experience was worse than that. Many , many years ago in my halcyon days, I offed a guy from a Twilight bar- can't recall which- who decided he needed the toilet. Despite the available facilities for washing, he returned to the bed very dirty. After he'd gone, I discovered a large number of skid-marks which, being too English, I had to clean-off the best I could.

Nirish guy
May 11th, 2019, 17:34
Dont worry I think we've all been there Oliver and all either had to brass it out with housekeeping in the morning with a stern "so what" look OR being British as you say turn the sheet over and make sure you're definitely not in the room when housekeeping come calling ! :-)

However I think the reality is that housekeeping in most hotels are under such tremendous time pressures that they could care less what their guests get up too and thus the sheets are wiped off the bed in a millisecond without even the slightest glance or care.

Mind you I have some friends who don't consider it a suitably worthwhile trip UNLESS their sheets are left in such state each morning !

Alex303
May 12th, 2019, 19:37
Gerefan...its posts like that which keep me away from this forum...

The pictures were mine taken in Dec 2018 during a 2/3 day stay...never stayed before (in 20+ years of visiting LOS) and I have no plans to again unless something changes radically with that particular hotel

Adding to the pics the toilet over-flowed a couple of times when flushed with nothing but water in it, seemed to be an issue with excess water pressure so assume no PRV fitted in the water supply

The bed was pretty much broken and sagged very heavily on one side (my Laos companion who stayed 1 night was less than impressed too), I asked to change rooms and was told no others were available

Breakfast was quite nice and the check-in staff were friendly but unfortunately that's the best I can say for it

p.s. never ever felt the desire to eat chocolates after sex...but then I'm early 40's so perhaps I don't 'get' that...to each their own but I will not be returning in a hurry...

gerefan2
May 13th, 2019, 01:42
Gerefan...its posts like that which keep me away from this forum...

There you are, Imelda Marcos, I have given you your first "like"!

christianpfc
May 15th, 2019, 21:22
Bed bug stains? Ewww. THIS is the hotel to which we've been subjected to endless discussions on? What a dump!
Nobody mentioned bed bugs. I have a personal interest in bed bugs, because I think I had them twice, in Yangon in Aug 2017 and in Taipei in Mar 2019. The bites on my legs fit description on internet, but I have no proof that it was bed bugs.

The pictures by colmx look okay for my standards. As long as the bedlinen is reasonably clean, I don't care much about the valance sheet and the carpet.

Oliver2
May 15th, 2019, 22:00
The carpets in the public areas are certainly old. Newer hotels which we regularly use - Agate, for example- wisely employ different , washable floor coverings. No doubt they will be replaced in the renovations.
Undeniably a good thing, though their distinctive smell always announces my arrival in Thailand from Swampy. For nostalgic reasons alone, I shall miss them.

Oliver2
May 16th, 2019, 16:47
After twenty years of patronage, I suspect that my discounted prices will be no more. The hotel has new owners

Just received; "Please follow the project’s progress at www.immhotelsurawong.com and https://www.imperialhotels.com"

I wonder if my generous support on this forum will be taken into consideration? No. Money talks.

sglad
May 16th, 2019, 17:43
After twenty years of patronage, I suspect that my discounted prices will be no more. The hotel has new owners

Just received; "Please follow the project’s progress at www.immhotelsurawong.com and https://www.imperialhotels.com".

It's a chain - there's an Imm Hotel at Thapae Gate, Chiang Mai. Should be quite smart.

Nirish guy
May 17th, 2019, 00:57
Or at least hopefully smart enough to keep the chocolate in their rooms anyways !

Maxxy
May 19th, 2019, 06:19
I used to stay there regularly but the main issue I had with it the last time I stayed there was the aircon, seemed to have only two settings, Off and Freeze your arse on, trying to change the settings made no difference. No doubt the thermostat was stuffed and stuck on the freeze your arse off setting, not only that but when I woke up on my first morning there water was raining down from the inside portion of it (above the fridge) and all the maintenance guy did was to drain the water from where it was accumulating and then mopped up the floor. Still couldn't get through to them that the aircon was stuck on freezing. Now happy to stay at The Raya

Dimsumbear
May 22nd, 2019, 02:28
Is the “chocolate in room” some kind of inside joke that I missed? Cos I have been to TTW on and off for the last 10 years and I saw no chocolate bars.

I like the TTW, especially when it was under old management and pretty much a gay hotel. It is kind of run down, and that makes me comfortable enough to bring back naughty boy(s) to do dirty thing(s) with. Call me paranoid but I could always feel the stares on my back when bringing back two Viet or Thai boys back to my W Hotel room.

Good things will come to an end and we can only just move on. Good luck and good bye!

Josan
May 26th, 2019, 05:50
Mazzy, Tarntawan A/C

Using the console besides the bed, yes there is an on and off. There are/were also three settings for the fan: high, medium and low. These settings are also on the console and are/were very useful in setting a nice temperature for the room.

Oliver2
May 26th, 2019, 07:52
I've just had three nights there. The a/c was quiet and effective; the valances were clean, the staff as friendly as always- though I miss some old friends; the breakfast better than at a hotel in which we are currently staying in Krabi- and is more than twice as expensive. I shall be booking two more visits .
It's worth checking Tripadvisor.

Maxxy
May 26th, 2019, 08:05
Mazzy, Tarntawan A/C

Using the console besides the bed, yes there is an on and off. There are/were also three settings for the fan: high, medium and low. These settings are also on the console and are/were very useful in setting a nice temperature for the room.

Had the fan on low and had turned it up to try and get the room to around 23c to 25c but like I said it looked like the thermostat was stuffed and stuck on freeze, also at that time the staff didn't seem interested in fixing it. From what I have read elsewhere it would seem I wasn't the only one to experience that problem, possibly same room

gerefan2
June 30th, 2019, 17:27
Mega works in the driveway.....

Oliver2
June 30th, 2019, 21:36
Excellent prices offered on Agoda for visits later this year to the refurbished hotel, now called imm (sic) Hotel.... 40% plus down on my stay two months ago.

paborn
June 30th, 2019, 21:47
In January my stay was very nice. The room was dated and a little tired. Obviously in need of a softgoods renewal. Burn it down? - we're being a tad overwrought. Given the location of the new bars a reburbished Tartawan is high on my list.

Andaman!
July 1st, 2019, 12:50
Excellent prices offered on Agoda for visits later this year to the refurbished hotel, now called imm (sic) Hotel.... 40% plus down on my stay two months ago.

This is incorrect. The hotel will operate under the brand The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong. It is owned by TCC who operate the imm Hotel in Chiang Mai but they will not be using the imm brand at the Tarntawan. The website is www.tarntawansurawong.com

frequent
July 1st, 2019, 12:53
This is incorrect. The hotel will operate under the brand The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong. It is owned by TCC who operate the imm Hotel in Chiang Mai but they will not be using the imm brand at the Tarntawan. The website is www.tarntawansurawong.comWhich of Olly's statements is incorrect?

Excellent prices offered on Agoda for visits later this year to the refurbished hotel
On Agoda now called imm (sic) Hotel
40% plus down on his stay two months ago

https://www.agoda.com/en-au/imm-hotel-surawong-bangkok/hotel/bangkok-th.html?cid=-218

Oliver2
July 1st, 2019, 13:11
Yes....I have the receipt. And the first reviews have appeared on Tripadvisor.

paborn
July 1st, 2019, 23:39
This is incorrect. The hotel will operate under the brand The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong. It is owned by TCC who operate the imm Hotel in Chiang Mai but they will not be using the imm brand at the Tarntawan. The website is www.tarntawansurawong.com

I might be very wrong. But, this website looks remarkably like the one I remember using. I don't quite understand why ownership is an issue as long as it's still gay friendly.

Dimsumbear
July 31st, 2019, 23:27
Is the hotel open for business now?

belg0001
August 6th, 2019, 20:17
I booked a corner suite on their website for 9.690 Bth for 5 nights in february 2020 , BF included. That's better than Agoda…..

Oliver2
August 6th, 2019, 21:38
Agoda prices change. Seven weeks ago, I paid Agoda £22 pn; now it's nearer £45 for the same September period. Your price is excellent value.

paulfort
August 12th, 2019, 04:55
I am very familiar with the rate yielding process, as in the hotel industry myself and accept has been well explained by some others on this trail, however whilst I have stayed at Tarntawan many times in the past, I have become more loyal to the Raya - but now nervous on noise disruption given redevelopment to Soi Twighlight! Any feedback on that welcome?
With regards to getting the best rates unless you know the hotel owner or management and can negotiate direct I would suggest try a site like Top Cash Back https://www.topcashback.co.uk/home (believe they have a US version) simply join which is free then look to book via any of the normal sites but effectively deferred from them so you get a cut of the commission.

As mentioned I am looking at booking soon, if I do it on Agoda via Top cash back I get a 6% cashback - not amazing if one night but for a week long stay a pretty significant discount!

snotface
August 16th, 2019, 23:57
I booked a corner suite on their website for 9.690 Bth for 5 nights in february 2020 ...

That's certainly planning ahead. Me, I don't have a clue what I’ll be doing next year. I don't have 2020 vision.

Oliver2
August 17th, 2019, 14:18
Booking early is the means by which I cure post-Thailand depression. I arrive home jet-lagged and low; the next day I book flights and hotels.

Dimsumbear
September 12th, 2019, 08:26
My flight got delayed so by the time I arrived Tarntawan it was already 2am. All the familiar faces gone but the fixtures and dated decorations remain. They didn’t change the hotel into a Hilton; but to be fair they didn’t charge like one.

splinter1949
September 12th, 2019, 14:12
I did stay there last weekend and here are my impression's of my stay
Good points
1. Carpets taken out
2. new mattresses
3. Staff still very friendly
4. Close to everything on Surawong or Silom
Bad points
• Transport ordered thru hotel was not there until 15 minutes after the rep called him, he was not even at the airport
• For 3 night I had no HOT water only lukewarm or even cold, but next morning around 8:30 AM it was OK, it seems to me that the water system is on a timer and shuts off late afternoon and start again heating water in the early morning
• Safe is very low, close to the floor and that is for older people a problem perhaps
• I could get down to the floor ok but getting up was difficult
• Not many overseas TV programs, or if there were I could not find them ,because no list of stations in the room or even a guest information folder

Will I stay again? that is still to be decided