PDA

View Full Version : Dinner at Vincent's: A review

TrongpaiExpat
August 4th, 2006, 13:00
I finally got around to having dinner at Vincent's on Soi Nahmdupri across from the Pinnacle, Bangkok. The place has only been open a few weeks and with no advertisement it's attracting a decent crowd. The place is very subdued, with private little nooks and areas, yet not a very big place. It has a nice comfortable feel.

Service could not be better. We came early, just a few other diners, but when we left there were more chairs were filling up. Vincent the Thai owner was on hand and warmly greeted each table. One in our partly wanted to take the tour of the rooms, I did a few weeks ago, now only two were vacant. A few are staying long term.

We ordered 5 dishes, all Thai food and shared. It's farang spiced, so the Thai's among us had to spice it up a bit. The menu is very expansive, I do not know how they do it with such a small place. The rice comes out in fancy shapes and the dishes and cutlery are elegant. The quality of the food was good. It's not real Issan Thai food, more Bangkok farang Thai food yet none of the food went uneaten at our table.

Only four dessert items and they were out of ice cream. We passed on dessert.

The real test of a new restaurant is how they manage farang food. The cook is Thai and the owner Thai, so I am not sure, but will give it a try soon.

Cost for 5 dishes, with drinks under 700B. Well worth the price and we will be going back soon.

www.vincentsbangkok.com/ (http://www.vincentsbangkok.com/)

August 4th, 2006, 13:33
Vincent the Thai owner was on hand and warmly greeted each table.

He's Taiwanese

August 4th, 2006, 17:04
It's farang spiced...

Thanks. Vincent's is now struck from my list of places to try.

August 4th, 2006, 19:38
(1) Has anyone stayed in Vincent's guest house?

(2) Has anyone stayed in the new garden suite units at Babylon?

August 5th, 2006, 23:55
The real test of a new restaurant is how they manage farang food.

That's rather strange isn't it? Here is a restaurant in Thailand and I would have thought the test is how they do Thai food, unless they have advertised themselves as a French/Italian/Egyptian/Javanese/whatever restaurant.

If your argument is that farang food is the test because they mean to serve tourists, it still begs the question, why farang? Why not Chinese/Japanese/Korean/NorthIndian food? They're tourists too, probably more numerous than farangs.

August 6th, 2006, 00:42
Service could not be better. We came early, just a few other dinersOne would hope so. However, what do you mean by that statement? Opinions on "good service" vary

We ordered 5 dishes, all Thai food and shared. It's farang spicedHow does that differ from watered-down crap?

Only four dessert items and they were out of ice cream. We passed on dessert.You've lost me already. Apart from mango and sticky rice I'm not a big fan of Asian puddings, so ice-cream is a must

The real test of a new restaurant is how they manage farang food. The cook is Thai and the owner Thai, so I am not sure, but will give it a try soon.Why is farang food the real test?

we will be going back soonEasily pleased

August 6th, 2006, 01:03
Vincent the Thai owner was on hand and warmly greeted each table

He's Taiwanese

Really ?. Looking at the room numbers assigned on each floor, I would have guessed he was Irish. :geek:

2nd Floor : Room # 12, 14 ,15
3rd Floor : Room # 21, 22, 23, 24

August 6th, 2006, 04:07
Vincent is taiwanese? He spoke perfect Thai!

Came across his place as I was walking out of Pinnacle to get away from the money boys one morning.. it looked great!

How are the rooms like?

A good restaurant can serve good thai food and not good farang food. Always good to ensure that all the dishes you offer will be good. I would also give him some credit... he's just opened for less than a month.

August 6th, 2006, 04:09
(2) Has anyone stayed in the new garden suite units at Babylon?

Garden suites didn't look ready when I was there last Sunday... still lots of renovations

August 6th, 2006, 04:58
Thanks for update!

TrongpaiExpat
August 6th, 2006, 13:37
So many questions, I'll try to respond.

Vincent's is a gay restaurant/guest house and it appears that the customer base is white Caucasian farang. The menu had some Farang options. Most restaurant in Thailand can manage decent Thai food, but few master western/Euro/American/British farang dishes.

Good service: The waiter presented the menu and gave us all the time we wanted to choose asking if we were ready to order. In most places, a huge menu is presented and the waiter stands there. If you ask for more time he still stands there looking like your crazy. He refilled water glasses without asking. He was on hand for requests for more rice. He got the order straight and was polite and good looking.

Certainly likes and dislikes when it come to food are very subjective but good service is not as dependent on ones tastes and whims.

IMHO was not watered down crap Homi, go for your self and post a review. I look forward to your comments

August 6th, 2006, 14:54
It's not real Issan Thai food, more Bangkok farang Thai food

If that doesn't equate to "watered down", then I'm not sure what you mean. Does not sound like any kind of Thai food I'd be interested in eating.

TrongpaiExpat
August 6th, 2006, 17:04
BoyG: Why don't you get with Homi and do lunch together at Vincent's and whoever survives can post a review?

August 6th, 2006, 18:57
You've already described the food as farangized. Why on earth would I go there?

August 7th, 2006, 00:38
Thanks for review. Was the bed comfortable or typical Bangkok hard mattress?

August 7th, 2006, 03:50
I tried to send an e-mail to reserve a room through Vincent's website, but got a message "host could not be found". Anyone else have a similar problem?