PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles, motorcycle taxis and insurance in Thailand

dab69
April 26th, 2019, 10:31
Hop on the back of a motorcycle taxi and say "Sunee". For 50 baht they will drop you in front of Nice Boys Go Go Bar where you where you can be an observer and a participant. While in the area check out Winners Bar and see if that is to your liking, being a MFAS free bar. Only chance to check them out so don't miss out on that while you are in Pattaya.
Really want to try out your limits try Eros.

For Boystown I personally enjoyed Dream Boys because my "friend" had a friend that worked there.

Same as Sunee, hop another Motorcycle taxi and check out the gay section of Jomtien Beach beer bars /gay area.
Eight days/nights you should check out the whole place and not be bored just in Boystown.

frequent
April 26th, 2019, 12:12
Hop on the back of a motorcycle taxi ...... having made absolutely sure that your travel insurance covers you 100% for accidents as a rider on a motorcycle (I read that somewhere - I’ve never been to Thailand or Pattaya)

Smiles
April 26th, 2019, 15:55
(I read that somewhere - I’ve never been to Thailand or Pattaya):dirol_mini::D

Nirish guy
April 26th, 2019, 16:33
... having made absolutely sure that your travel insurance covers you 100% for accidents as a rider on a motorcycle

And actually if you ARE doing that ( which is sound advice) be SURE to have a reasonably in-depth discussion with your insurers re that and NOT just take their initial (call centres staff) first answer re that. The reason I say this is that I checked a few years back for myself and for me driving my own ( rented) motorbike and the answer came back NO, sorry, we don't cover you for that.

I then asked them to clarify and by the time I'd finished explaining my ACTUAL needs i.e it was just to cover me on the usual small engines moped type hire motorbike and not the crazy 250cc? bikes the Arabs there drive etc then after them going back to THEIR insurance company ( as turns out my insurer was only an agent of course!) the actuary said that yes that was fine and they would cover me for that and only that ( all assuming I had the correct international licence in place etc) both for me driving and as a bike passenger.

BUT if I hadn't of gone into it in fine detail the initial ( and voice recorded answer that I got from them ) was that NO I wasn't covered and the buggers would happily have used that against me later no doubt should I have tried to lodge a claim after an accident.

So, whilst it may sound like a pain in the ass it is always WAY better to make SURE you're covered BEFORE shit happens - especially when it's Thailand and medical bills that may be involved.

goji
April 27th, 2019, 00:29
And actually if you ARE doing that ( which is sound advice) be SURE to have a reasonably in-depth discussion with your insurers re that and NOT just take their initial (call centres staff) first answer re that.

If you ARE planning on riding a motorcycle, I would also check the small print, as what is down on the policy in writing is what counts when you are trying to get a pay out. The majority of UK travel policies found by comparison site's don't cover you at all. Some don't cover you unless the driver has a full UK motorcycle license. Some cover you for under 125cc

Since most of the documentation comes in pdf format, open it up, press control-f and search for motorcycle.

I generally try to avoid motorcycle taxis, but on the last long trip, I kind of got forced into it when visiting a countryside temple in Isan.

Since then, I have even contemplated going for a UK motorcycle license, since motorcycle hire in SE Asia does improve mobility in rural areas.

gerefan2
April 27th, 2019, 01:35
Some don't cover you unless the driver has a full UK motorcycle license.

I dont get that!

If you want to drive a motor bike legally in Thailand you need an International Driving Permit valid for Motor Bikes. To get this you have to hold a Full UK motor cycle licence, if you are basing your IDP on your UK Driving Licence.

Therefore, how can they cover you unless you hold a full UK Motor Bike Licence?!

Nirish guy
April 27th, 2019, 03:00
I'm thinking perhaps might the difference be that you CAN currently drive one of those 125cc ?? Moped ? small bike things ( sorry I'm not up on engine sizes/ bike descriptions) on every UK standard driving licence, BUT that doesn't automatically entitle you to drive an actual "real" ( bigger) motorbike as for that you need to complete a further additional test - i.e you could have a UK licence saying you can drive a moped ( thing) but still not have an ACTUAL "real" motorbike licence.

I've attached a copy of the back of my licence which shows me covered for a "moped" automatically but nothing else bike wise - this was the issue my insurers cast up in saying that "no, I wasn't insured to drive a "motorbike" in Asia", BUT once I'd told them it was (only) one of the moped variety things they then said "ah, that's fine then" ( as I'm guessing that they basically they didn't consider one of those things a "real" motorbike anyway in their terms 8872

gerefan2
April 27th, 2019, 03:22
Ha Ha...you've just told us EXACTLY how old you are....
Americans wont understand Freak!

Nirish guy
April 27th, 2019, 07:35
NO big secret really considering I'd already mentioned that it was my 50th birthday back in January, unlike others on the board basic stuff like that I could care less who knows as unlike "some" freaks I'm not living some strange Walter Mitty like existence here on the board :) Although just to keep the seemingly strange air of mystery that others like to surround themselves with there - if you mean by the1986 date......that is of course just a date that they set that licence from, it's not my date of birth ( I wish) - and that test I could of course have taken at ANY age ( once over 17). ( but again at the risk of spoiling the surprise - I'm 50, there, now that's gone and ruined ALL the fun now - or maybe I'm NOT ???!!) lol

gerefan2
April 27th, 2019, 08:51
Nope, not the 1986 date.
Column 11.... The "valid to" date for the category of vehicle. Usually the same as the expiry date of the licence, which as you know is your 70 th birthday!
Well it is on mine...!

MiniMee
April 27th, 2019, 09:00
A ‘moped thingy’ covered under category AM would normally (but not necessarily) be less than 50cc but it must, by definition, be restricted to a max speed of 45km/h (28mph). I don’t think such machines exist in Thailand (produced mostly for European markets) and the vast majority of scooters available for hire in Thailand are 100/125/150cc capable of giddy speeds far in excess of 45/28. By informing your insurer that you only ride ‘moped variety thingies’ covered by your license restriction, your are committing an act of deception and your insurance will almost certainly be invalid. The good news is that code 79.03 entitles you to ride a machine of unlimited engine size and unrestricted speed, as long as it is a tricycle. Do driving licenses expire at age 57 1/2 in NI? I thought it was usually at age 70 in the rest of the UK....

frequent
April 27th, 2019, 10:42
My original concern was insurance coverage for those travelling as passengers on a motorcycle, given the number of stories from time to time about tourists suffering accidents and lacking insurance. It’s not as if the Thais who drive the motorcycle are forthcoming with passenger helmets, for example

Nirish guy
April 27th, 2019, 16:34
Nope, not the 1986 date.
Column 11.... The "valid to" date for the category of vehicle. Usually the same as the expiry date of the licence, which as you know is your 70 th birthday! !

Ha, sorry to burst your detective skills bubble again here but no, that I think just the standard 10 year licence validity term kicking in from the last time I renewed my 10 year licence i.e I renewed in about August 16 and so those "valid to" dates shown are simply just the automatic 10 years update date from that 2016 date and once i go and renew again in another 7 years or so those dates will I'm sure just be extended on out once again.

That is ( I presume) and if they haven''t reduced or altered the categories of vehicle you can drive by then again, just as they recently did by removing the automatic right for people my / our age to drive the likes of a 7.5 ton lorry without a further additional HGV test ( which is a REAL pain in the ass now when I want to jump in to some lorry in work that I might choose to driven once in a blue moon for operational reasons over many years but now can't without taking a further HGV test.

Nirish guy
April 27th, 2019, 16:47
A ‘moped thingy’ covered under category AM would normally (but not necessarily) be less than 50cc .

Happy to take that as fact if you say so, as I said I'm not a motorbike fan so am not "up" on such things.

...the vast majority of scooters available for hire in Thailand are 100/125/150cc ........... By informing your insurer that you only ride ‘moped variety thingies’ covered by your license restriction, your are committing an act of deception and your insurance will almost certainly be invalid.

Nope the good news is that I had the same "mopedy" type conversation that I'm having on here just now, explaining I had no idea etc and THEY then came back to me with the good news that as long as "whatever" I was renting wasn't over 125cc ( as you describe) then I was covered and all was fine, so I'm happy I'm not going to jail anytime soon, well, not on any motorbike deception charges anyway it seems :)

Do driving licenses expire at age 57 1/2 in NI? I thought it was usually at age 70 in the rest of the UK...

No, not quite in that whilst you dont need to retest until you're 70 same as the rest of the UK our actual licences expire and need renewed / reissued every 10 years from the date of original issue.

We do have some very subtle differences in our licensing laws it seems here and rather than us dealing with DVLA in Swansea as I suspect you may we have to deal with DVLA Coleraine (NI) and the two offices aren't interchangeable for us as they dont "speak" to each other it seems.

As to why that is I have no idea, maybe a throw back to some old licensing laws not being carried over or taken up here from the rest of the UK as we're historically devolved re such matters OR the cynics out there might suggest that it's something to do with "the troubles" where if I were the Government I think I'd be happier knowing where people were every 10 years or so rather than them "disappearing" until they were 70 perhaps - but I honestly dont think it's that, more just the devolved thing perhaps.

Oh and sorry to the OP, things seem to have veered off topic somewhat, apologies - so, pattaya and what to do for 8 days etc, best we get back on to that for the OP perhaps.....

MiniMee
April 28th, 2019, 12:17
THEY then came back to me with the good news that as long as "whatever" I was renting wasn't over 125cc ( as you describe) then I was covered and all was fine

I see. So, it turns out that, despite your earlier comment in this thread, accident insurance cover whilst riding a scooter in Thailand has nothing to do with your home country driving license after all. As long as someone in a call centre somewhere says you are covered, then it’s OK...

arsenal
April 28th, 2019, 13:31
This is only my experience.

The International Driving Permit does not actually permit you to ride a motorbike in Thailand unless it specifically says so. And the UK licence requires you to take a separate motorbike test.

I had a little bit of a ding ding with a policeman several years ago when he informed me of that. Upshot, I paid the fine and bought an online permit.

Daveuk
April 28th, 2019, 13:44
I have rented motor bikes in Pattaya and found them very convenient for getting round particularly to places off the baht bus routes. However I road bikes back home - I would not recommend riding in Thailand without that experience. Of course you can get pulled in by the boys in brown and fined for lack of a licence. However the fine is small 500 baht ? but sometimes there is a long wait at Soi 9 to pay. A much bigger risk is having an accident in which a Thai is injured or their bike is damaged. This could mean paying big money or possible jail, even if it was not your fault.
Now I use motor bike taxis. The drivers are very skilled and can even carry big bags. During my recent trip to Pats I even took boys back from Sunee to Jomtien 3 up - very quick but not for the nervous.

Nirish guy
April 28th, 2019, 16:09
You obviously didn’t read my post minimee as that’s not what I said at all. My comments where to make sure your insurance company covered you for what you were riding etc. Mine did, my licence did and the insurance company confirmed that. What part of that didn’t you understand perhaps ?

MiniMee
April 28th, 2019, 16:53
Your UK license doesn’t qualify you to ride the type of scooters available for hire in Thailand. You are are only qualified to ride scooters restricted to 28mph. If your travel insurance provides cover whilst riding 125cc scooters, without speed restriction, like in Thailand, that is a different matter.

Nirish guy
April 28th, 2019, 17:18
OMG if you're going to persist in this nonsense would you at least get your facts right before quoting "facts" - my licence DOES cover me for driving up to 125cc bike and my insurance also covers me for driving up to a 125cc bike - it's really very simple and shouldn't require this amount of clarification, it's all there in front of you - fuck me I even pasted a copy of my licence for the hard of learning such as yourself so you could read it.

"Category AM" covers the 28mph moped you' seem fixated on and you seem to be getting confused as theres there a line through category A1 and A2 ( A1 being the 125cc bike allowance etc ) BUT you have failed to read on down the list of allowed categories where below t clearly shows allowance for "Category A" which automatically includes and allows for category A1 and A2 ! i.e covering the person for driving up to a125cc bike !

Here, let me post it again to save you having to scroll back - along with the rules from DVLA just to save you googling that too......

Category A1
You can drive light motorbikes with:

an engine size up to 125cc
a power output of up to 11kW
a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg
This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category A2
You can drive motorbikes with a:

power output up to 35kW
power to weight ratio not more than 0.2kW/kg
The motorbike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

You can also drive motorbikes in category A1.

Category A
You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW
You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.

MiniMee
April 28th, 2019, 17:40
All quite correct. However, your license has a limitation imposed on Category A, as indicated by code 79.03 in column 12; that you can ride a machine of unlimited engine size and unrestricted speed, as long as it is a tricycle.

If you had received training and passed a test to qualify for riding a motorbike, as defined by Category A, you would not have that limitation of code 79.03.

frequent
April 28th, 2019, 17:45
It all sounds highly erotic MiniMee and reminiscent of that line in The Killing of Sister George when Beryl Reid at a party is asked why she always looks so cheerful riding around on her motorcycle and responds "Wouldn't you look happy with 50cc throbbing between your legs?"

Nirish guy
April 28th, 2019, 17:55
Well now on googling said restriction you are correct in that I can drive that 125cc bike no problem, just as long as it's a tricycle, I'll be sure to let my renter in Pattaya know that piece of key information now so he can amend my bookings accordingly.......as there's a ton of those 3 wheeled tricycles whizzing about pattaya ALL the time there days now of course .....

francois
April 28th, 2019, 18:11
This is only my experience.

The International Driving Permit does not actually permit you to ride a motorbike in Thailand unless it specifically says so. And the UK licence requires you to take a separate motorbike test.

I had a little bit of a ding ding with a policeman several years ago when he informed me of that. Upshot, I paid the fine and bought an online permit.

Quite correct, arsenal. If you don't have a license to drive a motorbike/motorcycle at home then you don't have permission to drive one in Thailand. Also if you have an International Driving Permit you should also carry your home country license with you while driving.
Not sure what you mean by an online permit? A learner's permit?

MiniMee
April 28th, 2019, 20:11
there's a ton of those 3 wheeled tricycles whizzing about pattaya ALL the time there days now of course .....

There are indeed:

Nirish guy
April 28th, 2019, 20:20
I haven't got the necessary food hygiene certificates to enable me to operate one of those.....mind you I'm guessing the average Thai hasn't either so it would all probably balance out.....

MiniMee
April 28th, 2019, 20:53
You could try one of these. Although I would advise against wearing a balaclava and suggest that you moderate your accent, or you might get arrested on sus of a suicide mission.

The beauty of these vehicles is that, whilst they have 3 wheels, I believe they are also (self) limited to 28mph. Your insurers should be delighted.

dab69
April 28th, 2019, 21:11
Alternatively if you are too much a sissy to ride on the back of a motorcycle taxi you could ask them to lead and you jog along behind them to find your way.
Then you would be at MORE of a risk of actual injury by heart attack and REALLY need med insurance. Never was I worried about accident.

However I WAS concerned standing on the rear bumper of a baht bus, worried about a rear engine collision on my legs. Hopefully this practice is still outlawed?

Nirish guy
April 28th, 2019, 22:56
Funny you mention that as my mate was in Patts at songkran and mentioned that he was pulled up and told to get off the back rail and move to the inside of the baht bus for the first time ever this trip. I'm assuming he meant told off by the driver and not the police perhaps as I'm guessing the latter would have resulted in an on the spot contribution to the officers child's education fund !

So, as we're being very careful today with regards to insurance and licences etc have we answered the question of "so are we covered to ride as a PASSENGER on a MB taxi anyway !?" And also if we are I'm assuming that that is only based on the fact that the driver is properly licensed and insured and I just wonder how many times THEIR documents are checked - and by whom and if all is not in order is a small contribution there too is enough to secure a coloured jacket or if stopped a small fee enough for a quick wave on to happen and meaning perhaps no documents ever even exist / existed in the first place !?

The more I read the more it seems sensible for one to WALK ( or just stay home perhaps !)

frequent
April 29th, 2019, 05:13
However I WAS concerned standing on the rear bumper of a baht bus, worried about a rear engine collision on my legs. Hopefully this practice is still outlawed?
Perhaps you could essay a practical test?

goji
April 29th, 2019, 17:48
my licence DOES cover me for driving up to 125cc bike and my insurance also covers me for driving up to a 125cc bike - it's really very simple

I have a similar license. If I read it properly, I am entitled to drive a moped and have PROVISIONAL entitlement to ride a motorcycle.

Insurance is a different matter. Many travel policies do NOT cover you to ride a motorcycle unless you have a full British motorcycle license.

My current travel insurance policy is better than some, in that it has the following exclusion. So I am not covered for a motorcycle taxi of over 125cc, even as a passenger. I have no idea what size these motorcycle taxis are !

Exclusion:
34. Any claim that results from you riding a motorcycle with an
engine over 125cc (as either the driver or a passenger)
unless we have agreed in writing to cover the activity, as
shown on an endorsement with your validation certificate,
and you have paid the appropriate premium.

MiniMee
April 29th, 2019, 21:31
If have a similar license. If I read it properly I am entitled to drive a moped and have PROVISIONAL entitlement to ride a motorcycle.

Maybe. But probably not.....

Your car license does indeed act as provisional license for motorbikes up to 125cc (Category A1), but you can only ride such a machine once you have completed a course of Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and, of course, display L-plates. You can’t carry a pillion passenger with L-plates. However, if you do not pass the full motorbike test within 2 years, you must undergo a further round of CBT before continuing to ride on a provisional license with L-plates.

Have you completed CBT recently?

Nirish guy
April 30th, 2019, 01:54
You'd really that think the Government might have better / more important things to do rather than worrying about writing legislation to stop people who've been driving on the roads for years whizzing about on 125cc motorbikes.

I see they say these new (2011?) rules have been brought it to reduce increasing numbers of motorcycle related deaths on the roads...... I'd love to know though just how many motorcycle deaths here in the UK were involving 125cc motorbikes and those being driven by middle aged car drivers, who've held a licence for years already and perhaps drive a 125cc motorbike a few times a year for fun in the summer rather than take their car somewhere - I'm guessing the number is quite small? I

see from a quick google search re that topic is states that in 2017 30% of deaths were between groups aged 17- 24 years old and 47 % ! of deaths occurred in London and the South East of England alone, plus two thirds of bike accidents ( in 2003 in this case) involved bikes all with engine sizes over 500CC - so by those statistics I would suggest the government really should just bugger off and leave the rest of us to get on with it - especially as I'm GUESSING ? ( as it doesn't give the figure) that most of those fatalities weren't as I'd mentioned on 125cc motorbikes anyway.

gerefan2
April 30th, 2019, 02:01
I would have thought that any reasonable Insurance company would allow you to use a licenced motor bike taxi as opposed to being on the back with any old driver (or worse, a young one)!

If you explained it was "licenced motor bike taxis" that you wanted to use, maybe they would agree.

That said it is rare to come across any "reasonable Insurance company" where motoring is concerned. Just try looking any of their reviews, all appalling!

Nirish guy
April 30th, 2019, 02:07
I find my insurance company VERY reasonable and friendly when I call them for a quote......it's only if and when I ever try to call them to attempt to make a claim that they then become most disagreeable !

Brad the Impala
April 30th, 2019, 04:07
If you explained it was "licenced motor bike taxis" that you wanted to use, maybe they would agree.

How could they refuse when you explained both how thorough the vetting process of drivers is and how rigorous the licensing standards are!

arsenal
April 30th, 2019, 09:02
So unless I'm mistaken, one can drive a minibus full of schoolchildren or pensioners or cats or whatever but not a motorbike. Quite brilliant.

Riding a motorbike in Thailand is one of life's great pleasures and in my experience no more dangerous than in the UK provided you ride the same way.

Nirish guy
April 30th, 2019, 18:10
So what with me always being keen to be an upstanding law abiding citizen and all (not) I dropped into my local motor cycle training shop ( I know the owner) to ask his advice and firstly I can confirm that Minimee is 100% correct in his posts in that you do need to have completed at LEAST a CBT training course to ride even a 125cc bike here in the UK ( and so then in Thailand one presumes....althogh my guy even questioned if even that was enough as even with the CBT you're still driving "provisionally" meaning you're not fully licenced to drive as per Thai requirements - HE presumes).

I asked just out of interest what all getting that CBT piece of paper entailed ( which even he conceded was mainly a load of crap as it was just mainly all common sense stuff) and firstly the cost quoted by them for that is £175 !! ( cost may vary at other locations but it's in that ball park he tells me). He explained that usally it entails a four hour course, involving 3 hours in the class room and maybe one hour on a bike ( doing nothing more than going around their car park basically) and as already disucssed your CBT is only valid for 2 years and then must be renewed ( and 3 hour course this time and a cost of £140 or so I was told) and even after getting your CBT you must display "L" plates on any bike you're driving ( leading to his questioning as to whether we WOULD even be legal in Thailand even is holding a CBT anyway?)

I then asked "ok so to actually go ahead and get your full licence then so what does that involve?" and was told "well that would be closer to and upwards of £500 at least and that would involve somehting more like a 10 hour course, split over about 3 days and would encompass at least 3 different tests, i.e written theory, practical road driving and some other stuff I didn't bother listening about.

So, there we have it, so should we wish to drive our little 125cc bikes at usually no more than about 15 / 20 mph around the roads of Pattaya and the likes for a few days / weeks a year and ensure that we are fully compilent with the law then the above is the minimum testing that we must have / carry out.

Needless to say I instantly booked myself in on the full 500CC test course and wont ever be touching a 125cc bike in Asia ever again until I've paid my £500 and completed all my various tests as to do so would be both unlawful and very remiss of me.........and if you believe THAT you'll beleve anything ! But on a serious note for a second it WILL actually make me stop and think about jjust not bothering with a bike anymore maybe when in Thailand at least as between greedy police men stopping you every hands turn to breathalyse you now ( and then hand you your keys back so you can drive off drunk once you've paid them !) or insurance companies waiting to pounce and (correctly) tell you that no matter what you think or whatever that filmsy piece of paper in Thai that the rental company hands you as your "documents" you ARE actually driving uninsured and they'll not be covering ANY bills, medical or mechanical it really is getting to the risk point of asking " is it worth all the drama / risk".

So, yeah, well done the British Government once again for nanny stating us and ruining all our fun - and we cant even blame it on Brussels this time it seems !

arsenal
April 30th, 2019, 18:51
Now that we're all agreed on the licence issue if anyone's interested how to solve this problem then drop me a pm. I don't mean paying tea money to the policeman. 6 years so far and no problems whatsoever.

goji
May 1st, 2019, 04:24
1 The British government does seem to be doing too much nannying with motorcycle licenses. However, the British government does zero nannying with travel insurance. My "Insure and Go" travel policy seems to cover me for riding a motorcycle of up to 125cc (medical cover), even though I apparently would need CBT to ride in the UK (anything more than a moped).

2 As my license looks like the example shown by Northern Irish (same era), I figure the Thai authorities would not know of the UK CBT requirement & would therefore accept it.

Incidentally, the only "motorcycle" I have driven myself in SE Asia was an electric scooter in Burma. Riding around the virtually traffic free tracks of the Bagan region. So deserted, the lack of a helmet didn't bother me either.

As for doing it properly, well if it's going to cost me £170 for CBT, plus £500 plus to get the full license, then this is a bit steep.
Presumably I need to be reasonably good to get the full license, so there would be purchase costs for a used bike, plus insurance tax etc to allow some practice.
This is going to be over £1000 ?

Nirish guy
May 1st, 2019, 07:52
1 My "Insure and Go" travel policy seems to cover me for riding a motorcycle of up to 125cc (medical cover), even though I apparently would need CBT to ride in the UK (anything more than a moped).

As I'd mentioned my insurance company happily confirmed to me also ( after going and double checking no less for me ) that they too would and were covering already to drive a 125cc bike under my existing policy with them etc.

HOWEVER I think the issue there is that what they REALLY mean / meant is that yes I'm insured BUT on the obvious condition that I so already have all the correct UK driving licence and paperwork require to allow me to drive that 125cc machine in the first place - and the fact is that without a FULL licence ( as I doubt the CBT actually matters or applies that much in Thailand anyway) the bottom is that I ( and you) simply don't have the correct / any licence to allow us to drive a 125cc bike.

Of course our insurance companies will happily take our premiums and smile at us as they do so so the minute we have an accident, serious or otherwise ( and god forbid a serious one that maybe requires expensive medical care) both they and our travel insurance company ( if different ) will both then no doubt instantly turn into the legal experts in bike law that we know insurance companies can become at such times and will sadly (very happily) inform us that in fact our cover was and is totally invalid as we had never actually met their conditions of insurance in the first place as we never actually had the correct licence / paperwork to allow us to drive said motorbike in the first place and so "sorry, but you're not covered, now where would you like us to forward this invoice for hospital treatment Sir as we of course won't be covering you for that?"

goji
May 1st, 2019, 23:07
My insurance policy says I can ride up to 125cc, with no exclusions for licensing.

However, in case there is some requirement to act legally, if CBT is not recognized in Thailand, then the key question would be is it legal to ride a motorcycle IN THAILAND based on my provisional license ? Possibly doubtful.

I did have a quick look at requirements for a Thai license, assuming it is a ride around the block test. However, it seems residency documents are needed.

DragonMaster
May 8th, 2019, 16:46
I did have a quick look at requirements for a Thai license, assuming it is a ride around the block test. However, it seems residency documents are needed.

The test consists of weaving through a set of cones, A slow ride along a raised plank, and a couple of stops. There is also a test for color blindness, a stopping reaction test, and a written exam done by computer. You do have to provide a certificate of residence to the Land Transport Office which you get from immigration beforehand. It is also possible to convert an existing foreign license to a Thai driving license if your current license shows you are licensed to ride a motorbike. If so, you get to skip the road test. The computer test is available online for those wishing to take a shot at it. Most of it is pretty much common sense, although there are a few wringers in there that are specific to Thai law.

This might help clarify some of the points being made regarding Thai law and motorbikes.

1. With any foreign license, you must have an International Driving Permit issued from your home country if you are going to ride a motorbike in Thailand. Do NOT buy an International Driving License online as they are not valid. You might get by with it, but you are at risk. If you do not have an International Driving Permit, you will get a ticket. Highway Police usually 1,000 Baht, Pattaya City Police usually 400 Baht.

2. If you rent a motorbike, it is not the responsibility of the rental agency to make sure you have the proper license, so saying they didn't tell you won't work.

3. It should go without saying that you shouldn't drink alcohol and ride a motorbike period. What most people don't know, is there are different limits. A foreigner driving in Thailand with an IDP has an alcohol limit of .02. If you have a 2 year Thai driving license, the limit is also .02. If you have a 5 year Thai driving license the limit is .05. This is less than the U.S. and Britain where the limit is .08. 1 beer or 1 cocktail is enough to put you over the .02 limit within 20 minutes of consumption, and can subject you to 1 year in jail and or a 60,000 Baht fine. Generally speaking, however if you are stopped in a highway checkpoint, the fine is 20,000 Baht or jail, your choice.

Hope this is helpful.....

Nirish guy
May 8th, 2019, 17:14
however if you are stopped in a highway checkpoint, the fine is 20,000 Baht or jail, your choice.

So, assuming you're still in the Tourist police ? so if you happen to be the person who stops said drunken driver close to say walking street and for whatever reason end up having to hand them over to the Thai police, who levy their "fine" so how much of kick back do you / the tourist pole get then out of that 20,000 baht or any other "fine" that they can manage to extract from said farang then ??

arsenal
May 9th, 2019, 06:43
Thanks DM, useful info. It's basically zero tolerance. No complaints from me about that.

a447
May 9th, 2019, 07:45
if you are stopped in a highway checkpoint, the fine is 20,000 Baht

What happens to that 20,000 baht? Where does it go?

DragonMaster
May 9th, 2019, 17:36
What happens to that 20,000 baht? Where does it go?

I don't know exactly, I do not touch any of the money, nor as Nirish tried to imply, I do not, and have never received any "kick backs" from the fines collected, nor have I ever seen anyone else receive any money. At the end of the night, all of the paperwork and fines are kept at the station, then dealt with by the management. None of that is part of my job description.

Posting what I did in reference to IDP's and alcohol limits was meant to inform members here of things not generally known to foreigners, and having that information might save you some fines and hassles. I am happy to try and clarify questions when possible, but I'm certainly not willing to be libeled by anyone here implying that I am doing anything illegal.

gerefan2
May 9th, 2019, 21:13
I have another question about bike hire...

As you know you are usually required to leave 1000 Bt deposit against damages. What does this mean?

It has always been refunded to me as I have never done any damage but what happens if you do more than 1000 Bt worth of damage to the bike?

Is the1000 Bt your limit of liability or are you responsible for all damage done? To the full value of a new bike if you write it off? Are they insured? I doubt it.

I have tried to read about it on the form they give you but didn't get anywhere.

sglad
May 10th, 2019, 05:12
Posting what I did in reference to IDP's and alcohol limits was meant to inform members here of things not generally known to foreigners, and having that information might save you some fines and hassles. I am happy to try and clarify questions when possible, but I'm certainly not willing to be libeled by anyone here implying that I am doing anything illegal.

I'm sure the info you've provided is appreciated by many of our silent readers and members; it's so rare that we get to hear from someone on the Thai side of things and I hope that a few cynical remarks by a few bitter old queens (who come back to Thailand every time despite constantly whining about its shortcomings) do not deter you from posting and sharing your insights.