PDA

View Full Version : Sukhothai Vs So Sofitel

taxiride123
April 23rd, 2019, 21:03
Hi guys,

It will be my first Thailand trip in May. Can’t decide between Sukhothai or so Sofitel. Any recommendations?

I’ve heard the spa in Sukhothai can get a bit heated which I quite like the idea of...

Jellybean
April 24th, 2019, 22:31
Firstly, welcome to the forum taxiride123. I am glad to see you bit the bullet and eventually got around to making your first post.

Let me say, I have not stayed at either hotel, although I have walked by the Sukothai Hotel on South Sathorn Road many times and, on two occasions in February 2012, I called at the then newly opened So Sofitel Bangkok Hotel on North Sathorn Road, on behalf of another member, sydneyboy. And I have had lunch there on several occasions.

I have copied below posts #11 & 14, which I made in reply to sydneyboy in February 2012. They have photos attached, but you can only view them if you look at the original topic by clicking on the following link: https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?13133-Checking-out-St-Regis-%D1%82%D0%90%D0%A3-Bangkok%D1%82%D0%90%D0%A9s-newest-top-tier-hotel/page2

Sofitel So Bangkok

I took a couple of photos of the new Sofitel So Bangkok the other morning whilst on the way to my Thai school. It is situated at the top of North Sathorn Road (Thanon Sathorn Nua) on the intersection with Rama IV Road (Thanon Pa-Ram-Sii). Just before the Dusit Thani.

As sydneyboy says, the hotel is due to open on 28 February 2012.

W- Bangkok

Another 5-star hotel is being built on Sathorn Road just across from my apartment (See photos below) and is called the W Bangkok. From what I can see it is going to have a very small oval shaped pool and is surrounded by a rather strange structure which I can't quite make out.

According to their website page the hotel is due to open on 1 October 2012. It also makes some rather bold claims about the sort of clientele they expect to accommodate:

"In the city's prestigious Embassy Row and pulsating commercial district is the W Bangkok, a stylish icon of Asian chic. Welcome to the new playground of ambassadors, jet setters and fashionistas, a hot destination by the coolest shopping and dining.

SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE

Live to tell about the legendary, and simply savory Thai cuisine, chili-hot nightlife and sinfully relaxing spa experience. Indulge in our world-class restaurant, sizzling bar and always vibrant Living Room where you can mix, mingle and play all day.

WAYS TO UNWIND

In our 403 rooms, you're dreaming sweet in the signature W bed, or lazing in plush bathrobes as you enjoy state-of-the-art entertainment and fully wired technology, the fabulous Munchie Box and our wonderful Whatever/Whenever service."

Sydneyboy

I was at Thai school again this morning and I thought, since I was in the immediate area, I would check out the Sofitel So Bangkok and see if it was open. Happily it was and a very kind, and handsome, porter showed me around. I was taken to the main reception area, which is on the 9th floor where there is also a cocktail bar. The bar will have a DJ playing every night from 6.00pm until 9.00pm.

At reception I was met by the most outrageously camp (or should I say flamboyant) receptionist тАУ reminded me of the ice cream seller on Dong tan Beach in Jomtien!

The hotel definitely has the 'wow factor'. It can be accessed from Rama IV and Sathorn North Road, although if you were arriving from the airport, Rama IV Road would be easiest and most convenient for your taxi driver. I was most impressed and, as you would expect from a brand new hotel, everything is modern, hi-tech, high-spec and very fashionable. I did not enquire about the room rates as you will be able to find that out for yourself from their website.

You asked specifically about the swimming pool, well, in my opinion, it looks fantastic (See photos below). It is an infinity pool on the 10th floor with a fabulous view over Lumphinii Park (suan lumphinii). And, as you can see from the photos, it is very long it and will, I am sure, prove be good for exercise. There is also a well equipped exercise area by the pool.

There is also a solarium for those with a head for heights.

I was also shown the very spacious restaurant on the 7th floor, which was open and had several diners at the time of my visit. The set lunch time menu cost 900 Baht, which I think was reasonable given the star rating of the hotel. I might well try it out next week.

In short then, if I was visiting Bangkok as a tourist and could afford to stay in a 5-star hotel then I would most certainly put this one on my list. Of course, I have not actually stayed in the hotel so my comments are simply based on what I saw as a visitor. But if the standard of service is anything like the other Sofitel hotels then l don't think I would have any worries on that score. But as they say in Thai, leeo dtee khun (up to you!)

As I have not stayed at the Sukothai Bangkok Hotel and have no recollection of any references to their spa on this forum, I'm afraid I cannot help you on that score. But as both hotels are close to Babylon Sauna on Soi 1, South Sathorn Road and reasonably close to Silom and Surawong Roads, where most of the bars and the nightclub, D J Station, are located, I'm fairly certain you won't be stuck for whatever pleasures and entertainment you are looking for.

Have fun during your forthcoming trip in May and do let us have a report of your trip in due course.

Nathan B
April 26th, 2019, 11:25
I’ve stayed at the Sukothai. It’s well known as a gay friendly 5 star hotel. Close to the subway and a 20m walk to the Silom/Surawong gay area. It’s unusual in Bangkok in being a low rise hotel with its own gardens, rather than another anonymous tower block. Suite was huge but dated (dark wood panelling). Good service, and a great Thai restaurant onsite.

Don’t know the Sofitel but the Sukothai is a good choice if you like a traditional style rather than modern.