PDA

View Full Version : Important Jobs for the Boys.

January 17th, 2006, 14:29
Whats his looks got to do with it? All the brightest boys are not good looking. He not only has to be the sharpest pencil in the box but also the best decorated?

January 17th, 2006, 15:08
Dogger written us a story about Nu and ask us to help him, telling us Nu his English is perfect. If someone inform Nu about this job ?

There is a good Job waiting, if you know of a good looking English speaking and reading some what Thai guy, who wants a Job waiting or supervising in one of Jomtiens newest Thai/falang restaurants, he will be making good money and can go on to bigger and better things.

January 17th, 2006, 15:50
DELETED

January 17th, 2006, 16:03
Tim wants English skills and experience and the candidate is to take on supervisory responsibility.

He is offering a salary of 4000 Baht??

I am sure I read somewhere that slavery had been abolished in Thailand some time ago.

January 17th, 2006, 16:46
I am sure I read somewhere that slavery had been abolished in Thailand some time ago.

Last I heard, and it's been a while so may have changed; 4,000 baht\Mo. is about par for a ten-hour day, one-day-in-ten off. Yes, if you say (Legal) min wage is a bit higher, hours a bit better; I think you're right--But there are exceptions and exemptions--And ways employers get around it.
'Plus tips,' could possibly make quite a difference. (And he could still do as many others and 'freelance.')
I'm not making a judgement or saying a young man should, or should not; that's just how it is. And many would jump at the chance.

January 17th, 2006, 16:58
"4,000 baht is about par for a ten-hour day, one-day-in-ten off."

Thai labor law is quite clear: no more than 8 hours daily/6 days in 7, anything more requires overtime pay.

To my knowledge, and in my opinion, 4000 baht is acceptable or typical for a non English speaking waiter (or laborer), not for an English speaking supervisor. The fact that an employee may make tips is not an excuse to pay a substandard wage.

As for your " he can always freelance" remark, does that sum up your feelings for Thai men, or Thais in general. Are we to assume that the only way Thais deserve to live a decent lifestyle is to prostitute themselves??

How sad.

January 17th, 2006, 17:03
"4,000 baht is about par for a ten-hour day, one-day-in-ten off."

Thai labor law is quite clear: no more than 8 hours daily/6 days in 7, anything more requires overtime pay.

To my knowledge, and in my opinion, 4000 baht is acceptable or typical for a non English speaking waiter (or laborer), not for an English speaking supervisor. The fact that an employee may make tips is not an excuse to pay a substandard wage.

As I said, 'It may have changed." And there are exceptions, exemptions--And scofflaws. I did not say that makes it right.

As for your " he can always freelance" remark, does that sum up your feelings for Thai men, or Thais in general. Are we to assume that the only way Thais deserve to live a decent lifestyle is to prostitute themselves??
How sad.

If you 'assume' I said that, you assume a lot, or simply can not read or refuse to because it is more fun to put words in my mouth, Hedda.
Many do have a day job and freelance--And of their own volition. I did not recommend they do it, in fact; I think I was careful not to.

Dodger
January 17th, 2006, 18:12
The average monthly pay for restaurant waiters in Pattaya has floated around 6,000bt for years.

English speaking/reading Thai's, especially those with supervisory skills can earn anywhere from 8,000-12,000bt plus tips, and sometimes much more, depending on the class of restaurant...(and the class of the individual doing the paying).

Dish washers at the Boat Bakery earn 4,000bt.

lonelywombat
January 17th, 2006, 18:12
There is a good Job waiting, if you know of a good looking English speaking and reading some what Thai guy, who wants a Job waiting or supervising in one of Jomtiens newest Thai/falang restaurants, he will be making good money and can go on to bigger and better things.

If you are talking about the Enchanted Hut, I agree they not only need a manager but a real hard look at what they are trying to achieve. It is either a hobby to showcase their entertaining talents or a serious business. I doubt it will survive unless it does some major rethinking.

The fit out is beautiful but not practical. The meal was most pleasant and in my opinion underpriced. Too much emphasis has been placed on the stage and not enough on the restaurant. They planned the stage first and the restaurant around the stage.

The glass tables are impractical. The drinks table unsuitable for dining. The stage area too large.

I assume it was the owner who had to leave his act to get a waiter to get more drinks, a menu for a newcomer and deliver food to another. Both waiters were changing for their act in the cabaret.

If it is to be a business that pays its way rather than a self indulgence showbar hobby, then they have to have a serious look at how many bums on seats are needed to pay its way. Then what stays and what goes?

The 4000 pm baht for a manager is peanuts and will not get them the person they urgently need.

Nor is it anywhere near solving their problems.

January 17th, 2006, 18:23
"If you 'assume' I said that, you assume a lot, or simply can not read or refuse to because it is more fun to put words in my mouth, Hedda.
Many do have a day job and freelance--And of their own volition. I did not recommend they do it, in fact; I think I was careful not to."

Edith,

You are absolutely right. I am afraid when I frst saw the "freelance" reference I jumped the gun.

In re-reading the rest of your post I see I screwed up.

Please accept my apologies.

BTW, I am not Hedda

January 17th, 2006, 18:27
It's still true that in Thailand if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys.

4000B is on par with the lowest legally paid jobs available, not pay for a job that requires responsibility, loyalty, experience, AND English skills.

4000B is what you pay someone who is disposable.

I'd say crank that up to 6000B for the first month, 8000B thereafter, with a 6-month review leading to incremental raises. That's what the Thais I know who have (and stay in) full-time jobs with good English skills are making to start in Bangkok.

Plus tips, freelance, whatever.

Geezer
January 17th, 2006, 18:54
[quote="ziti

BTW, I am not Hedda[/quote]

Apologize? No, thatтАЩs certainly not Hedda.

January 18th, 2006, 02:06
regarding the original post of 4000 Baht per month.
Why don't you put an ad in the newspaper? if it is a fair salary, you certainly will have a lot of applicants.

January 18th, 2006, 08:08
DELETED

January 18th, 2006, 10:18
With the qualifications Tim want, he will not get it for 4000 bath a month.
I had someone in mind, but not under 10.000 bath.
And a very good, english speaking manager is very important for a restaurant.

January 18th, 2006, 18:06
"If you 'assume' I said that, you assume a lot, or simply can not read or refuse to because it is more fun to put words in my mouth, Hedda.

BTW, I am not Hedda

And, likewise, please accept my apology. I meant it as a similitude (Refering to style, if that's the correct word.), not to say you are she of the hydra's bog.

paulg
January 26th, 2006, 16:49

Contact Tim on 060089469

I'm sure you will be both happy you made contact

How do you ring from outside thailand