PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok for the aged and infirm

frequent
April 19th, 2019, 06:57
Spending time around Bangkok (in my imagination you understand - I'm still in Houston) with an 80-something friend before Songkran I was again struck by how little Thailand does for the less able. Few buildings have ramp access (Silom Complex does but security staff sometimes block it off - Amazing Thailand) and not many more have handrails where there are steps. Perhaps it's better in that other country I've also never visited? Maybe our dedicated pattayaphile lonelywombat could advise

Smiles
April 19th, 2019, 10:26
" ... Spending time around Bangkok (in my imagination you understand - I'm still in Houston)... "Oh great ... just handing more cannon fodder over to Lonely, (AKA 'the aged and infirm'). That "he's-never-been-to-Thailand" conspiracy theory carry's on.

frequent
April 19th, 2019, 11:13
Oh great ... just handing more cannon fodder over to Lonely, (AKA 'the aged and infirm'). That "he's-never-been-to-Thailand" conspiracy theory carries on. Everyone needs a hobby and we're all aware of lonelywombat's pattayaphile needs

Brad the Impala
April 19th, 2019, 16:56
Spending time around Bangkok with an 80-something friend before Songkran I was again struck by how little Thailand does for the less able.

Isn't that what the young men are for?

bkkguy
April 19th, 2019, 20:15

as we get old and infirm there are many hard problems that we face but I think we would all prefer the young men to be focusing on something more important than getting us up the stairs!

francois
April 19th, 2019, 23:47
Quite true, I do prefer the young men to simply focus on getting me up.

newalaan2
April 20th, 2019, 00:45
Spending time around Bangkok (in my imagination you understand - I'm still in Houston) with an 80-something friend before Songkran I was again struck by how little Thailand does for the less able. Few buildings have ramp access (Silom Complex does but security staff sometimes block it off - Amazing Thailand) and not many more have handrails where there are steps. Perhaps it's better in that other country I've also never visited? Maybe our dedicated pattayaphile lonelywombat could advise

Never mind how little they do for the 'less able' the actual 'able' have their work cut out too. Ever tried a stroll down the pavement-less (sidewalk-less for our North American friends) Soi Baukau from start to finish or even 5 yards of it, the uneven pavement surfaces throughout the Kingdom where darkness falls 6pm after which most of the visitors are out and about, or what about the 'go anywhere' motorcycles on pedestrian pavements or not. That's not even mentioning the pavement traps where a broken tile/pavement block when damaged is removed to leave a gaping hole in place.

But yes, on your original point regarding the less able virtually no thought or money is put into anything to assist, at odds with a country whose elderly are apparently revered and respected, however disablement within families is still often 'hidden away'.

sglad
April 20th, 2019, 00:48
Quite true, I do prefer the young men to simply focus on getting me up.

You mean after they wheel out your coffin at dusk?

dab69
April 20th, 2019, 08:50

80-something IS a younger friend of Frequents...

francois
April 20th, 2019, 13:19
You mean after they wheel out your coffin at dusk?

Get it right, sglad! The coffin is for sleeping during the day; at night I am up and about till the wee hours. :devilsh: Oh, and I only drink.....wine!

arsenal
April 21st, 2019, 06:50
Impossible to be a vampire and French. Garlic.

Dalewood
April 27th, 2019, 21:57
as we get old and infirm there are many HARD problems that we face...

Oh really??

bkkguy
April 28th, 2019, 19:57
as we get old and infirm there are many HARD problems that we face

Oh really??

when I was a young student of mathematics there were HARD and NP HARD problems that I thought I could cope with, but now that I (and my prostate) are older and larger I tend to disagree with both the mathematicians and the medical doctors in their assessment of how easy it it to solve P problems vs NP problems

and the last time I took a little blue pill I didn't have any water and it got caught in my throat and I had a stiff neck for days!