View Full Version : Eva Air now charge for seat slection

gerefan2
April 11th, 2019, 10:35
Bad news for Eva Air fans.

They now charge for seat selection and the charges are £23 per flight for "Standard Seats", or £38.30 for a "Preferred Seat" or a staggering £114.80, per flight,for an "Extra Legroom seat", near the exits/partitions.

This is in Economy. I dread to think how much they will try and screw out of Premium Economy and Business Class customers

P.S.... For speling Nazis' I know there is a mishtake in the title, but cannot cjange it

francois
April 11th, 2019, 13:53
I believe the seat selection fare is for Economy only, not Prem.Economy or Biz Class. According to their website fares.

goji
April 12th, 2019, 02:50
Bad news for Eva Air fans.

They now charge for seat selection and the charges are £23 per flight for "Standard Seats", or £38.30 for a "Preferred Seat" or a staggering £114.80, per flight,for an "Extra Legroom seat", near the exits/partitions.

Well if that is per flight, both ways in the emergency exit rows would cost an extra £229.60. Depending on when you go, Premium Economy is only going to be another £100 or £150.
Might this be why some of the emergency exit seats where empty on a recent flight ? I was in Premium Economy, so oblivious to charges applied back in economy.

Do Thai also charge for emergency seats ? If I ever need to economize on flights, going back to economy and pulling every possible trick to get an emergency exit seat will be the way forward. If it's a Boeing, who knows, I might even need the emergency exit.

GWMinUS
April 12th, 2019, 11:17
In my experience, many of the US Airlines are now charging for Seat Selection.
I am flying EVA Economy next week. Going to the Philippines from the USA via LAX to TPE to CEB.
I had no problem selecting a Seat online. But I booked several months ago.
Last year I flew PAL direct from LAX to MNL. Initially the Site said I could not select a seat. I had to do it at the Check-in Counter.
But then a few weeks later the site allowed me to make a seat selection. And no charge...
Just another trick to make more money!!!

frequent
April 12th, 2019, 11:51
Just another trick to make more money!!!As everyone knows, I've never left Houston, let alone been on a plane. However Emirates has been charging for seat selection for some time for lower-cost fares, as does Singapore Airlines etc. etc. It's merely a ploy to raise the price of a ticket by stealth

Up2U
April 12th, 2019, 12:50
I just purchased premium economy and there was no change for me. Booked online using their website and made my seat selection.

frequent
April 12th, 2019, 12:57
I just purchased premium economy and there was no change for me. Booked online using their website and made my seat selection.Yes, usually only the cheaper Economy seats

frequentfliers
April 12th, 2019, 12:58
Etihad also.

Oliver2
April 12th, 2019, 14:39
EVA have been tightening-up in all sorts of ways. If you were "in the know" you could reserve a seat in the second row of Elite which afforded more space. That was changed last year with a new configuration. Before that, when the 447s were in service and Elite was "upstairs", there were two single seats with unlimited space that you could book.
Furthermore EVA has downgraded many of us from Gold to Silver card by increasing the number of qualifying miles. The final blow was to discover on my last trip that some tickets did not even qualify for upgrades.

Nevertheless, after nearly eighty EVA flights to Thailand and back, I still consider it convenient, reliable and relatively well-priced. And access to the lounges at BKK and LHR is a plus if only because the food available (breakfast/lunch in BKK and dinner in LHR) allows me to wave meal service away imperiously.

gerefan2
April 12th, 2019, 17:29
Furthermore EVA has downgraded many of us from Gold to Silver card by increasing the number of qualifying miles. The final blow was to discover on my last trip that some tickets did not even qualify for upgrades.

Other Airlines have played that or similar tricks.Thats why I dont bother with these cards,which will only lock you into one airline.

Id rather be able to be flexible and take the cheapest appropriate fare/airline of my choice.

christianpfc
April 13th, 2019, 15:45
Tigerair has free seat selection for most seats (those with extra legroom or in front of aircraft come at a few), and so has Nok Air (?).

I see nothing wrong with charging customers for seat selection. Some bus or train rides, I or others have to stand.

Up2U
April 13th, 2019, 17:30
Earning miles on EVA was such a pain since it is a Taiwan based airline. Good news for me is they have now partnered with Capitalone in USA so I can earn miles. They also let you buy down the price of the ticket using miles.

billyhouston
April 14th, 2019, 00:38
Screenshot :

frequent
April 14th, 2019, 04:25
Outrageous!

Oliver2
April 14th, 2019, 14:40
My first EVA flight was in 1998. It operated the LHR-BKK flight only three (or was it four?) times a week in those days but its prices (about £450 return for Econ) compared favourably with its Qantas/BA direct competitors.
Now of course, it flies every day and over the past two or three years I've noticed that it is invariably more-or less full throughout the year. I'd suggest that the proportion of travellers from Taiwan is now higher, particularly in Elite and Laurel classes.

arsenal
April 14th, 2019, 14:57
The economy fare from London to Bangkok is still about that. Hence the charges for all the extras. Can't blame the airlines. They'll go bust if they don't.

GWMinUS
May 29th, 2019, 12:04
I flew EVA Economy to the Philippines. (LAX-TPE-CEB). It and Cathy Pacific are the only carries with connecting flights to Cebu. (I do not even consider PAL since you must transit through NAIA in Manila, the World's worse airport!!).

Anyway, I was able select my seat for no charge. But it was only in the second half of economy seating. Did not matter because at 78yo I need wheel chair assistance to the plane. And that lets me board early.

The seat was fine for me. Reasonable pitch and width. Going to TPE there were only two of us in my 3 seat row. Returning the plane was full!! I found the Service was minimal. No towels on departure, no drink service, no slippers. Only the pillow, blanket, and funny earphones.
The food was disappointing. Basically a mash up of a meat and rice or potatoes. The salad was OK but the fruit was oranges and apple and the oranges were not peeled. No ice cream. But I did request Brandy after the meal and it was good.

So all in all, not what I remember from the past on EVA. Cathy Pacific was much better before but the price was USD950 vs USD650. For that price I guess they can offer you more.

CHEERS

Faranglaw
May 30th, 2019, 23:59
We always fly on Korean Airlines from Vancouver. Never an issue so far. Their prices are usually the best, and Inchon is a spectacular airport for a layover if needed.

Dalewood
June 5th, 2019, 03:11
At this point I am a SkyTeam captive, so it is China Airlines to Bangkok out of JFK. Fares are so much cheaper out of New York, that is easily worth me taking the train from where I live to use this service. On one trip back, we got into Taipei so late that I missed my connection to New York. I thought I would spend the night in Taipei (which I would not have minded as I have never left the airport there), but they put us on a later-departing EVA flight in the same class of service. I like their Premium Economy seats better, otherwise there does not seem to be much difference between the two airlines.

I have done most of my domestic flying on Delta and Northwest and I have been too lazy to look into changing loyalties.

Smiles
June 17th, 2019, 13:43
We always fly on Korean Airlines from Vancouver. Never an issue so far. Their prices are usually the best, and Inchon is a spectacular airport for a layover if needed.Korean is excellent but for one thing: none of it's wide body planes have Premium Economy. They are way behind the other well-thought-of airlines on that one. I wonder if Korean is ever going to provide PE? I'd gladly hop on them if they do.
Inchon Airport is the best.

China Airlines and China Southern have very good PE seats. Lots of leg room on both. EVA of course gets great reviews on all metrics, but I've only used EVA once, about 8 years ago. It was a 747 all the way from Vancouver to Australia (stop in San Francisco if I remember correctly). Flying Economy on that one and one could see it was really old and rickedy. Never again I whispered, but I certainly have read extremely good reviews some years now. Might try it again.