PDA

View Full Version : Silom still worth it?

extronaut
March 30th, 2019, 00:05
Every time I come to this forum, I read that some other establishment has closed down. I get the impression that the whole gay bar industry there is folding.

Will have a one night stopover in Bangkok at the end of May. Should I book a hotel in Silom? Or should I get a room somewhere near the hotel, and get a good night's sleep?

goji
March 30th, 2019, 02:02
A number of bars have closed and a number of bars have opened. There are more than enough bars left to entertain you on a one night stopover.

frequent
March 30th, 2019, 04:16
Every time I come to this forum, I read that some other establishment has closed down. I get the impression that the whole gay bar industry there is folding. Will have a one night stopover in Bangkok at the end of May. Should I book a hotel in Silom? Or should I get a room somewhere near the hotel, and get a good night's sleep?The only bars that are closing are the gogo bars in Soi Twilight, because the whole area is being redeveloped, not because they're "folding". Bangkok is not Pattaya (which, I'm reliably informed by the Forum's Living Treasure, is another country) which seems to be Bar Failures Central. It's not clear whether you mean a bar for a beer or a bar for a boy, and if for a boy one in which you can leer or one where you can chat. Soi 4 still has a vibrant bar scene of all varieties, and there are those down-market gogo bars beloved by a447 in Soi 6

Manforallseasons
March 30th, 2019, 08:22
You could take a pass unless you want to visit shopping malls!

neddy3
March 30th, 2019, 11:11
What nonsense! Always so negative.
There are still enough bars to occupy anyone for a night or three.

Patanawet
March 30th, 2019, 15:50
You could take a pass unless you want to visit shopping malls!

And the last time you visited Silom area to see the current changes?
Oh and I would like to visit the malls in Silom that you refer to -- kindly list some for me apart from Central Department store in Silom Complex.
Thank you in advance.

Eddie
March 30th, 2019, 15:53
Every time I come to this forum, I read that some other establishment has closed down. I get the impression that the whole gay bar industry there is folding.

Most of the Soi Twilight establishments have relocated or are in the process of relocating to the Patpong side of Suriwong Road. Check the gayguides/thailand forum for the latest updates.

Silom Soi 4 establishments are still going strong. Freshboys will be relocating there too.

Manforallseasons
March 30th, 2019, 17:31

When was the last time you were there?

goji
March 31st, 2019, 03:37
Just for the avoidance of doubt, since others are dodging the question, I have spent 5 nights in Silom in December, 1 in January and 2 in February.

The selection of gay venues remains good. From the airport, it's only about 1 hour and about 70 baht on the rail link + MRT. It would be almost criminal not to go.
Obviously the soi twilight bars have gone, but Screwboys remains, as does Nature boys, Super-A and there is a Fresh Boys upstairs from Screwboys. I believe Jupiter is still open, but that was never my type of bar & I believe there are 1 or 2 similar newish bars near by. Tawan is also open. Also new is G-boys. Personally I would go to Fresh Boys and Screw boys.

neddy3
March 31st, 2019, 14:03
When was the last time you were there?

This month.

And you?

Patanawet
March 31st, 2019, 14:36
This month.

And you?
For me, at least five times every week.
Strange MFAS can't seem to answer the question.

Manforallseasons
March 31st, 2019, 15:07
For me, at least five times every week.

I have lived in Pattaya for many years however, the first place I lived was In BKK many years ago. I had been going to BKK 4/5 times a year but my last few visits saw the demise of the once wonderful gay scene now it has become a bore, sitting at telephone or balcony does not a gay scene make.

Oliver2
March 31st, 2019, 16:09
Bangkok is my port of entry and so I continue to have a soft spot for it. I love the bustle, the noise, the grime, the smells of my first nights there. And the single Babylon visit of the next day. And then, with P. safely arrived from Kamphaeng Phaet, I'm delighted to move on.

Patanawet
March 31st, 2019, 16:23
I have lived in Pattaya for many years however, the first place I lived was In BKK many years ago. I had been going to BKK 4/5 times a year but my last few visits saw the demise of the once wonderful gay scene now it has become a bore, sitting at telephone or balcony does not a gay scene make.

I respect your opinion but disagree.

goji
March 31st, 2019, 19:39

And he has STILL not answered it. Enough said.

Manforallseasons
March 31st, 2019, 22:24
And he has STILL not answered it. Enough said.

You are obviously not the sharpest knife on the rack as you cannot figure my answer! Lol

Brad the Impala
April 1st, 2019, 02:03
Only a medium could find an answer.

frequent
April 1st, 2019, 07:29
And he has STILL not answered it. Enough said.Surely you’ve realised by now that MFAS is another one of my many handles here, the only difference being he comes from Chicago and I come from Houston. I/We are the strong silent type

werner
April 1st, 2019, 15:31
A number of bars have closed and a number of bars have opened. There are more than enough bars left to entertain you on a one night stopover.

Indeed...there will be enough bars and guys to entertain you for weeks....

goji
April 1st, 2019, 17:51
You are obviously not the sharpest knife on the rack as you cannot figure my answer! Lol

Oh, I figured it out OK. You skillfully avoided a straight answer to the question.

In case you forgot, the QUESTION was: When did you last visit the Silom area ?

So an ANSWER would involve a date, month or year when you were last there.

All you have done is make statements like "I had been going to Silom 4~5 times a year".
So it's not even clear if you have been to Silom in the last year or the last decade. Maybe not even this century.

If you have not been to Silom recently, what qualifies you to advise on recent changes in Silom ?
For a start, what do you know about all the new bars that have opened in the last 2 years ?
How many of the new bars have you visited ?

kjun12
April 10th, 2019, 12:45

As long as I have read posts by that man for all seasons he has been steadfast in his position as Captain Negative. And having a strong but unwarranted position on things in general.

goji
April 10th, 2019, 15:08
As long as I have read posts by that man for all seasons he has been steadfast in his position as Captain Negative. And having a strong but unwarranted position on things in general.

YES
Our opening poster requested opinions on the CURRENT bar scene in Bangkok, where there have been numerous openings and closures in the last 12 months.

MFAS waded in with his negative opinion and has still not told us when he was last there (month, year).

goji
April 10th, 2019, 15:10

YES
Our opening poster requested opinions on the CURRENT bar scene in Bangkok, where there have been numerous openings and closures in the last 12 months.

MFAS offered an opinion and has still not told us when he was last there (month, year). So it's not clear if that view is from visits this year, last year, or even in the last 10 years.