PDA

View Full Version : Real estate agents in Bangkok--any recommendations

werner
March 29th, 2019, 16:11
I will probably retire soon, and might retire to Thailand.

Although I have visited Thailand many times in the last 30 years, I have never stayed for more than about 5 weeks.

To explore possibilities, I would like to rent an apartment in Bangkok for 2 or 3 months and see whether I would like to live in Bangkok for a longer period.

I also might eventually buy an apartment in Bangkok, especially if I sell some of my property in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent or agency in Bangkok to provide advice about renting and buying apartments.

Since I do NOT speak Thai, I would want an agent that is fluent in English or the other languages I speak (French, German, etc.).

If I retire to Thailand, I would definitely want to live in Bangkok, not Pattaya and would probably spend 4 months a year there.
I would want a quiet one-bedroom apartment on a higher floor, hopefully with a great view of the city.
Since I am trained in civil engineering and as an architect, I would definitely want to see details about the structural properties of the building, especially if I were to buy the apartment.

Thanks for suggestions!

frequent
March 29th, 2019, 16:42
I would definitely want to see details about the structural properties of the building, especially if I were to buy the apartment.Good luck with that!!!

I can only suggest you look at the two main aggregator sites, DD Property and Hipflat. Finding a reliable, English-speaking, ethical real estate agent will be a challenge. You're better off asking that sort of question over on ThaiVisa, but you'll run the whole gamut of opinions from those who'll tell you never ever to buy a condo to those who swear by it. As for engineering drawings, the mind boggles

Jellybean
March 29th, 2019, 19:59
werner, I have sent you a PM with the email and telephone details of an estate agent I know in Bangkok. He is French, but also speaks English. Hope he can be of some help. Good luck!

kittyboy
March 29th, 2019, 20:17
I will probably retire soon, and might retire to Thailand.

Although I have visited Thailand many times in the last 30 years, I have never stayed for more than about 5 weeks.

To explore possibilities, I would like to rent an apartment in Bangkok for 2 or 3 months and see whether I would like to live in Bangkok for a longer period.

I also might eventually buy an apartment in Bangkok, especially if I sell some of my property in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent or agency in Bangkok to provide advice about renting and buying apartments.

Since I do NOT speak Thai, I would want an agent that is fluent in English or the other languages I speak (French, German, etc.).

If I retire to Thailand, I would definitely want to live in Bangkok, not Pattaya and would probably spend 4 months a year there.
I would want a quiet one-bedroom apartment on a higher floor, hopefully with a great view of the city.
Since I am trained in civil engineering and as an architect, I would definitely want to see details about the structural properties of the building, especially if I were to buy the apartment.

Thanks for suggestions!

Hey - I would encourage you to keep the board updated about your progress on finding an apartment.
I suspect some of the more frequent posters here will offer up snarky comments about not being interested or wasting posting space etc.
I am interested in your experiences and would appreciate hearing your story. I suspect it will be an adventure..of the good and bad kind.

sglad
March 29th, 2019, 22:49
Finding a reliable, English-speaking, ethical real estate agent will be a challenge.

Not true at all. If you've lived in Bangkok for thirty years as you say, you'd know that there are plenty of reliable English-speaking property agents and in Bangkok particularly in the higher-end market. Developers even run exhibitions and roadshows overseas. In Singapore, they conduct joint soft launches in partnership with local banks who offer some kind of financing.

When I was taking supplementary Thai lessons in Bangkok three years ago, there were a couple of Australian guys working for a rather big property agency in Bangkok studying at the same school. They seemed to be doing very well. I didn't save their business cards as property investment was way beyond my pay bracket at that time and still is!

Once you have a development in mind, you can contact their sales office directly after doing your homework and research. You don't even have to go through a property agent. If it's a development targetting foreigners they would have English and other foreign-language-speaking staff.

werner
April 1st, 2019, 14:39
werner, I have sent you a PM with the email and telephone details of an estate agent I know in Bangkok. He is French, but also speaks English. Hope he can be of some help. Good luck!

Jellybean, Thanks for your PM and the great information.

werner
April 1st, 2019, 14:52
I would like to thank forum members for your great comments.

I also received some personal messages with useful information. But for some reason -- technical? software problem? computer problem? -- I was not able to send personal messages to those who communicated with me. Let me convey my gratitude here...

Yes, I will definitely convey my experiences as I explore the possibilities of buying a condo in Bangkok.

I heard from several sources, that it would be very difficult for me to get access to the technical/structural/ engineering features of buildings in Bangkok. Since I am a civil engineer and architect, I would NOT buy a condo in a building unless I could examine such data.

I will be involved as an adviser to an engineering project until late summer, after that I will probably live in Bangkok for a couple months, and further explore whether or not to spend more time in Thailand and whether to buy a condo.

I do not, know, perhaps I should just occasionally visit Thailand -- but spend most of my time in the mountains of Switzerland. But this would be too boring, and after living around the world, I would find Switzerland TOO BORING..

Thanks again to all forum members. This is a great place for useful information!