PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Travel Insurance Suggestions

Doug
August 4th, 2006, 03:28
In September, I will be arriving in Thailand for a 3 month stay. I have looked into several travel insurance policies with agencies and on-line and it looks like I'll be paying around CDN$550 for the 3 months. In view of the fact that we don't need to pay for medical insurance here in Canada, this seems like a big chunck of cash I won't be giving to the handsome Thai guys.

Is this a good price? Are there any alternatives I should investigate? Do you have any companies you'ld recommend? Is is feasible to arrive in Thailand then subscribe to a local medical insurance program?

I guess you need to know a little about me. I'm 61, in very good health, no hospital stays since a broken leg in 1972 and I don't smoke.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Now I'm going over to the Resource Forum to see what's there - something I should have done before writing this.

And, Noi, if you're reading this, I'll see you in 43 days....but who's counting.

August 4th, 2006, 03:39
It sounds as if BUPA Sunshine may be what you need - http://www.bupathailand.com/sunshine.asp

Doug
August 4th, 2006, 03:46
Thanks Homintern,

I looked at that web site and, as I read it, it would cost me over Bhat30,000 plus 5000 for repatriation. That's more than CDN$1000.

August 4th, 2006, 07:23
You could PM travellerjim - he's an insurance broker. Although the BUPA policy is twice as expensive it's also twice as long (I'm not pushing that, just remarking)

travelerjim
August 4th, 2006, 07:32
Hi Doug,

May I suggest you look at my website : www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) for your International Health & Travel Insurance needs ?

I am in the insurance profession here in the USA and specialize in health insurance.

You have stated you are 61, in good health, and will be away from your home country Canada for 3 months. If you look at my website - the policy I would recommed to you is the Diplomat International policy.

For example: For insurance for 3 months - a US $50,000 policy with a $500.00 deductible - then pays 100% to US $50,000 in policy benefits - the cost would be US $331.30 for the full 3 months; if you want US$100,000 in maximum policy benefits, a $500. deductible then pays 100% to $100,000 - the cost is $388.00 for the full 3 months.

There are other choices of deductibles from $250.00 up to $1,000 and maximum policy benefits from $50,000 to $1 Million.

I do not know if you ride on a motorbike in Thailand? If you do, you will need the "hazardous activity" rider which adds 25% to the cost.

The policy is issued by a "A" rated insurance company in the USA - and worldwide help is available 24 hours a day from AIG Assist by calling a toll free international worldwide assist phone number.

It is a true health insurance policy and also has other important benefits such as Emergency Medical Evacuation to transport you to needed medical care - in Thailand - and to and including back to your home country Canada; $25,000 in event of accidental death; Energency Reunion; Repatriation of Remains benefit of up to $20,000; and more. Please see policy details for complete description of benefits.

If you wish to purchase the policy, you can do so over the internet at www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com). Use your Visa or Mastercard and the policy will be issued and Certificate of Insurance e-mailed to you with hard copy mailed to your home address.

If claims are to be made, as with all policies I am aware of, you first pay for the medical care then file for reimbursement with the insurance company.

Pre-exisitng conditions are not covered - a lookback period of 3 years will be looked at to see if you were treated for or manifested a medical condition. Likewise, that is true of all policies I am familiar with.

I wish you a very good, happy and safe trip and holidays in Thailand.

I will be returning to Thailand at end of August for 3 months and will be having my right hip replacement surgery done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. I already had my left hip replaced March 7th of this year and was very pleased with the care and costs associated with the surgery.

(For your information, the total cost of my hip replacement surgery and 5 days hospital stay in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital was 280,000 Thai baht or about US$7,400. in todays 38/1 US/Thai exchange rate..here in USA that surgery would have cost US $35,000 and up depending on where you lived in the USA).

Hopefully we can meet up while you are in Thailand ? It would be my pleasure to meet you and have a drink or dinner or just chat on the beach.

I have provided you my e-mail and phone contact numbers in a PM to you on this board.

My Thai bf and I have a condo in Chonburi next to Sripatum University. I am in Pattaya often and also to Bangkok occasionally.

Take good care,

"TravelerJim" ... of USA & Thailand

ps..The policy also covers you anywhere you may choose to travel outside Canada...so if you want to visit Cambodia, China, Laos etc...no need to get another policy.

For Affordable International Health & Travel Insurance
Please visit: www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

bing
August 4th, 2006, 07:44
There is a very nice company that has a variety of coverage. IMG (International Medical Group), 2960 North Meridian St., Indianapolis IN 46208. phone 1-800-628-4664 or 317-655-4500 ... www.imglobal.com (http://www.imglobal.com) insurance@imglobal.com
Hope this information is helpful.