PDA

View Full Version : Ian at Cafe Royale

August 3rd, 2006, 14:57
I have been told this morning that Ian of the Cafe Royale has passed away. God bless Ian you will be missed.

August 3rd, 2006, 17:54
Thats a very sincere thought Rose. It is rather startling but a lot of people seem to pop off in Pattaya, what was the cause of death? Did he have family or a loved ones left behind? Where was he from?

August 3rd, 2006, 18:07
Ian had many friends worldwide and a partner in pattaya he was born in the uk ,he had a long illness,including a heart problem which he had operated on some years ago. His health had gone down hill in recent months the exact cause of death I can not answer but I am sure it would related to this.
He was a well known Hotelier and one of the funniest men I had,had the luck to meet and know.

August 3rd, 2006, 20:36
Hey guys,

Is this true or just a rumor?

bucknaway
August 3rd, 2006, 23:15
I never met him but he built a hell of a business that I have enjoyed many times :)

August 4th, 2006, 01:01
During my first few trips I stayed at Cafe Royale and always found Ian to be very helpful and went out of his way to be friendly. I think what impressed me most about Ian was the way his employees felt about him. It was obvious that they loved and respected him. He was one of the few that really gave back to the community and I will always admire him.

Doug
August 4th, 2006, 03:50
The lights in Boystown will shine a little less bright. My condolences to his family, friends and employees.

Mi Cow Chai-old
August 4th, 2006, 04:01
I am very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine Boy's Town with out him.

dab69
August 4th, 2006, 12:57
My deepest condolances to all Ian's friends, Robby, and the staff of Le Cafe Royale
during such another time of loss, and still must carry on with guests currently staying
at the hotel. This must be very hard to do.

August 4th, 2006, 17:06
I knew Ian, and he would have rather us be joking about his departure from this earth than crying into our mint juleps.

August 4th, 2006, 17:09
Having just logged in after a couple of days away, I am saddened to hear of Ian's death. I have known him for at least 14 years and have been a regular guest at Le Cafe Royale where Ian and his partner Robbie have always made me most welcome (as they have done for all their guests). When I last saw him about two weeks ago he was obviously in very poor health and his demise is not unexpected but nevertheless very sad. My condolences go to Robbie and all the staff at LCR who were devoted to Ian as their employer.

However, I find it disgusting (and typical of some of the regular posters to this Forum) that they have found the announcement of Ian'S Death an excuse to indulge in levity and to make jokes about gays and AIDs. A shame on all of you!

Dodger
August 4th, 2006, 17:25
First and foremost, my condolences to Ian's family and friends. I knew him as a delightful light hearted person who left his mark on many people.

If those of you who are still around when I pass away want to display humor...please feel free. I've always felt that humor is a necessary ingrediant in this life time - and would only hope to hear a few chuckles as I move forward to the next.

As the preacher stood next to the bed, Ol' Dodger's condition appeared to deteriorate and he motioned frantically for something to write on.

The pastor lovingly handed him a pen and a piece of paper, and Ol' Dodger used his last bit of energy to scribble a note, then he died.

The preacher thought it best not to look at the note at that time, so he placed it in his jacket pocket.

At the funeral, as he was finishing the message, he realized that he was wearing the same jacket that he was wearing when Ol' Dodger died. He said, "You know, Ol' Dodger handed me a note just before he died. I haven't looked at it, but knowing Dodger, I'm sure there's a word of inspiration there for us all."

He opened the note, and read, "Hey asshole, you're standing on my oxygen tube!"

March 5th, 2008, 04:35
Hi all, I only just stumbled across this news and wanted to add my two pence worth too. I first met Ian Read 30 years ago when I was a nipper of 13 and in fact the first I knew of him was when he stuck my ice cream cone into my face as he walked by! I was introduced to him by a guy I worked for after school and went on to serve an apprenticeship with one of Ian's companies. Sadly I lost touch with him over the past ten years but often had updates of how he was doing in Thailand and it was one of those promises that I truly meant when I made it many years ago - to go out and visit him with my wife and kids but then life gets in the way.

It's not until you realise they have gone that you sometimes then reflect on the influence a person has had on you. Quite an irony too as my Mother died four days after Ian (as I now know) so at least I know she has somebody making her laugh - probably by taking the pee out of her, in truth! Ian had a wicked sense of humour and I have some very funny memories of him; when he had a 'fight' with one of our friends and the pair of them fell through a neigbour's garden wall, demolishing it and then both of them giggling like school kids as they ran away. (They were both adults and successful businessmen at the time by the way). When Ian came out to us at a party and we all said 'yeah and?' he was amazed that we had guessed he was gay! When he asked if it would affect our friendship, I (typical 16 year old straight guy) said 'no, as long as you know that I am straight' he, quick as a flash, said 'I don't fancy you anyway, you ugly git!' and then nearly wet himself because he said he wasn't sure if I was relieved or upset.

I have read on here that Ian was considered generous and I whole heartedly agree . In fact I have known very few people as generous as Ian. Often to his own cost too because he was so trusting. I always thought that for such an astute business man, he allowed so many to take liberties with him but he was not one to stand by if he thought someone was taking liberties with one of his friends though.

I am sorry that Ian has gone but I am glad to have known him and he is no doubt with his Mum Phylis again now. A person never truly dies when we hold them in our hearts and memories. That's what I think at least.

I send my belated condolences to those that also miss him, especially his partner.

With love from Martin Conyard

bao-bao
March 5th, 2008, 05:18
I never met Ian but may well have seen him at one time or another; I always made a point to stop in at the Cafe for at least a soda on every visit through town.

I hope he learned many lessons in this life just passed and that he moves easily into one even better.

There have been far too many losses within the ranks of this forum over the past year and I again offer my most sincere wishes for peace and serenity for those who loved him and are now left behind.

Next time there I'll lift my glass to him - may he and all the others be at peace.

travelerjim
March 5th, 2008, 05:51
Yes, Ian is missed by his friends...
and, yes, Ian was a most caring and sharing man!

His services to Thais4Life as its Treasurer were indeed
a welcomed blessing to those of us who served on the Thais4Life Committee...
and to donors alike for his attention to detail in accounting for all funds.

Rest in peace Ian...
we all miss your smile and love.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/IanMcKnight.jpg

March 5th, 2008, 06:41
Guys,

This thread you are making a number of errors by accident.

There were two Ian's, Ian Reid my business partner and owner of the Original side of Cafe Royale, a long time partner of Robbie who passed away with total organ failure, after a heart bypass and numerous returun visits to hospital and recurring health problems, he passed away [ aged 65] whilst I was in Hospital having my operation for throat cancer, so therefore, it must have been August 2006.

The other Ian in the photgraph was Ian McKnight, The Hotel reservations Manager from Australia, who passed away sometime before that,[ I believe it was in 2005] because I attended the cremation in South Pattaya. He was 69 years old and had a number of severe ailments and had for a number of years.

It's nice you remember them, but not recent deaths to avoid any confusion.

kittyboy
March 7th, 2008, 02:56
Guys,

This thread you are making a number of errors by accident.

There were two Ian's, Ian Reid my business partner and owner of the Original side of Cafe Royale, a long time partner of Robbie who passed away with total organ failure, after a heart bypass and numerous returun visits to hospital and recurring health problems, he passed away [ aged 65] whilst I was in Hospital having my operation for throat cancer, so therefore, it must have been August 2006.

The other Ian in the photgraph was Ian McKnight, The Hotel reservations Manager from Australia, who passed away sometime before that,[ I believe it was in 2005] because I attended the cremation in South Pattaya. He was 69 years old and had a number of severe ailments and had for a number of years.

It's nice you remember them, but not recent deaths to avoid any confusion.

When I first started going to pattaya I stayed at the Cafe Royale and met Ian the owner. He seemd like a friendly guy though I never really got to know him. Refering to Kevin Quills comments, the picture in the previous post does not look like that Ian I remembered. The Ian I am thinking of was a big guy... shall we say.. he had an edwardian figure? Is that the Ian who passed away?

Mark

March 7th, 2008, 03:06
Hi,
the Ian I wrote about is Ian Read originally from London and former owner of a large group of Construction Companies, one of which I served my apprenticeship at. With respect, I did put 'Remembering Ian Read' at the top. lol He will be laughing his head off at the continued messages regarding him - never a shy man! I think he would be peeing himself at being described as having 'an Edwardian' figure - I love it!

As I said in my original post - people never really die when they are held in fond memories - and he certainly isn't forgotten here by the looks of it. What a great testament to the man. I just wish (in good old hindsight) that I had made more of an effort to get back in touch earlier. Probably a lesson there.........

All the best
Martin

March 7th, 2008, 18:07
Refering to Kevin Quills comments, the picture in the previous post does not look like that Ian I remembered. The Ian I am thinking of was a big guy... shall we say.. he had an edwardian figure? Is that the Ian who passed away?
Mark
As Kevin said, the Ian in the picture was Ian McKnight, the long time General Manager of Cafe Royale, who passed away in May 2005. He was one of the most helpful individuals I have ever had the pleasure to meet and was also heavily involved in the organisation and administration of charitable works on behalf of the gay community in Pattaya.

Ian Read was the 'Edwardian' figure you remember (he would be laughing himself silly at being described so!!). He pased away in August 2006.

Both fondly remembered and sadly missed.