PDA

View Full Version : THAI: Economy Thai Airways have announced that from April 1 only 20kg bag allowance

travelerjim
March 7th, 2019, 15:06
https://www.dailynews.co.th/economic/696774

Thai Airways have announced that from April 1st their economy class passengers will no longer be able to load bags weighing 30 kilos in the hold for free. 

New rules said that for four categories of economy class (including L,W and V designations) passengers will now only be able to take 20 kilos free of charge.

Group tour customers will also face the same restrictions though that change in the rules will come later starting July 1st 2019.

Daily News said the airline were trying to cut fuel costs.

THAI have reportedly been losing billions of baht in recent years.

Source: Daily News

goji
March 7th, 2019, 15:10
Despite taking about 17 sets of T-shirts and underwear, 3 separate devices to access the interned, a camera & a stupidly excessive quantity of toiletries, mosquito repellant etc, my luggage weighs in at about 16kg.
Next time I intend to cut back.

aot871
March 7th, 2019, 16:54
Despite taking about 17 sets of T-shirts and underwear, 3 separate devices to access the interned, a camera & a stupidly excessive quantity of toiletries, mosquito repellant etc, my luggage weighs in at about 16kg.

On avg i take 21 kg including about two pairs of shoes and thongs

dinagam
March 7th, 2019, 17:25
Several sets of metal thongs could easily add up to 21kg. Most poseurs prefer the silky ones.

Impulse
March 7th, 2019, 18:02
Good news. They should make it even lower. People travel with way too much stuff.

aot871
March 7th, 2019, 19:25
I have just checked on the thai airways uk site for flights beginning on the 1st of may flying from london and they are still saying 30kg , maybe the webb site has not been up dated or the 20kg load for baggage is internal flights only

frequent
March 8th, 2019, 02:24
I have just checked on the thai airways uk site for flights beginning on the 1st of may flying from london and they are still saying 30kg , maybe the webb site has not been up dated or the 20kg load for baggage is internal flights onlyWithin Economy there are several classes - V & W are the lowest internationally and they attract the 20kg limit. Y & B are the highest and their limit remains 30kg. Jim’s cut’n’paste alluded to that. You need to check the conditions before you book

You get what you pay for (not necessarily the same for buying guys)

aot871
March 8th, 2019, 02:38
Within Economy there are several classes - V & W are the lowest internationally and they attract the 20kg limit. Y & B are the highest and their limit remains 30kg. Jim’s cut’n’paste alluded to that. You need to check the conditions before you book

You get what you pay for (not necessarily the same for buying guys)

Thai have 5 classes in ecom flying out of london , starting with super save and saver .both of these are still coming up with 30 kg

frequent
March 8th, 2019, 04:48
Thai have 5 classes in ecom flying out of london , starting with super save and saver .both of these are still coming up with 30 kgI'm inclined to ask how you manage to get yourself out of bed in the morning, let alone hold down a job
Thai Airways have announced that from April 1st their economy class passengers will no longer be able to load bags weighing 30 kilos in the hold for free. Tickets on sale now ie. March 8 still have the old rules applied. If you buy a ticket from now until March 31 you get 30KG irrespective of when you travel

frequent
March 8th, 2019, 07:07
Where abouts on the thai air webb site does it say that ?The odd thing about "commonsense" is that it's not all that common, as your posts amply illustrate. I generally charge a discounted rate of GBP60 for IT support but since you clearly have special needs I'll do this for free just this once. On the Thai Airways web booking page (not the "thai air webb site") :
and if you click through to "More details" you can find this section:

Daveuk
March 8th, 2019, 21:03
When I take a flight I am always surprised at the amount of luggage some holiday makers need to take. In November having boarded my flight to bkk I saw two ladies coming up the aisle wheeling large suitcases. They did not have the strength to place them in the overhead locker so being the sort of guy I am I did it for them. They were heavy so I remarked “good I do weight training” and “are you emigrating to Thailand ?’. They replied “oh no just a three week holiday - you should see the bags we have checked in”. My checked in bag is around 10 kg and I only take a small back pack on board.

kittyboy
March 9th, 2019, 05:29
I appreciate the efforts of other posters at keeping the board apprised of travel information.

frequent
March 9th, 2019, 05:47
I appreciate the efforts of other posters at keeping the board apprised of travel information.That would be travelerjim and me, then. You have contributed nothing of value to this thread except your usual argumentativeness

Jellybean
March 9th, 2019, 14:40
Some of the posts in this topic have been moved to the Everything Else forum under the title, Common sense and Ordinariness.

A quick link is below:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20749-Common-sense-and-Ordinariness

gerefan2
March 10th, 2019, 01:04
When I take a flight I am always surprised at the amount of luggage some holiday makers need to take. In November having boarded my flight to bkk I saw two ladies coming up the aisle wheeling large suitcases. They did not have the strength to place them in the overhead locker so being the sort of guy I am I did it for them. They were heavy so I remarked “good I do weight training” and “are you emigrating to Thailand ?’. They replied “oh no just a three week holiday - you should see the bags we have checked in”. My checked in bag is around 10 kg and I only take a small back pack on board.

Women eh....

BonTong
March 11th, 2019, 11:03
Both laundry services and new T shirts, shorts etc are cheap and readily available in Thailand. Considering the clothes most foreigners wear here are not what they would typically wear at home (at least I would hope.... :crazy_mini:) why bother carting loads of stuff backwards and forwards?

Travelling with only carry on makes life so much simpler and is good discipline for being selective about what you travel with. Also prevents taking loads of unnecessary toiletries - you can get em all in 7/11 or Watsons for next to nothing anyway.

francois
March 11th, 2019, 15:59
Au contraire, BonTong! There is not much in clothing that I would purchase in Thailand; I find shorts and shirts, shoes etc much less expensive and far better at home. On every trip home I load up on 45 kg or more ( if allowed) on clothing and other necessities (wine).:devilsh:

aot871
March 13th, 2019, 04:37

what about foot wear i tend to take about 4 pairs ,made up of 1pr flip flops, 1 pr trainers and 2 prs of shoes. On my last trip it all came in at 21 kgs

frequent
March 13th, 2019, 05:52
what about foot wear i tend to take about 4 pairs ,made up of 1pr flip flops, 1 pr trainers and 2 prs of shoes. On my last trip it all came in at 21 kgsDear god, I only own three pairs of shoes in total. Are you trying to be Imelda Marcos?

gumblebee
March 13th, 2019, 06:02
Meanwhile, in related news, some other airlines are keeping their luggage allowances at 30kg or more.

aot871
March 13th, 2019, 07:01
Dear god, I only own three pairs of shoes in total. Are you trying to be Imelda Marcos?

No im not , its just that i have eight pairs ,3 prs of causal slipons and 5 prs of what the Americans call dress shoes,It means I dont have to wear the same pair daily

frequent
March 13th, 2019, 08:50
Meanwhile, in related news, some other airlines are keeping their luggage allowances at 30kg or more.But they may be tweaking other benefits. For exactly the same low fare classes for which Thai and Emirates have dropped their baggage allowance, Singapore Airlines is charging for seat selection but keeping the baggage allowance. Emirates have also charged for seat selection for those classes, so dropping the baggage allowance was a further restriction. Thai restrict seat selection for those fare classes to the back of the cabin. It's all part of "you get what you pay for" (and in some cases not even that)

aot871
March 13th, 2019, 18:02
But they may be tweaking other benefits. For exactly the same low fare classes for which Thai and Emirates have dropped their baggage allowance, Singapore Airlines is charging for seat selection but keeping the baggage allowance. Emirates have also charged for seat selection for those classes, so dropping the baggage allowance was a further restriction. Thai restrict seat selection for those fare classes to the back of the cabin. It's all part of "you get what you pay for" (and in some cases not even that)

Thanks for the info regarding Emirates, I see that they are allowing 25kg for the cheapest fare so better than thai,

gerefan2
March 13th, 2019, 23:41
Thanks for the info regarding Emirates, I see that they are allowing 25kg for the cheapest fare so better than thai,

Maye a better fare but you have to change at Dubai no matter where you are going (if starting from UK). Dubai Airport is horrendous. No aircraft arrivals parking at the terminal. All remote parking requiring a bus...sometimes 10 buses... then they crawl to the terminal at walking pace...last time 1 hour from landing to the Terminal. Then security again, maybe twice, followed by a long walk to your next aircraft. Enough, Ive done it 4 or 5 times.

Thai invariably fly direct which is quicker, even if it costs a little more.

However, you cannot beat Eva Air for fares, quality, booze, free seat allocation etc. If only they had male flight attendants on their London flights!

sglad
March 15th, 2019, 22:20
On every trip home I load up on 45 kg or more ( if allowed) on clothing and other necessities (wine).:devilsh:

Oh you brought back a little Canadian jesus juice for the boys of Sunee? How sweet. Must be holier than Mont Clair.

francois
March 15th, 2019, 23:58
Oh you brought back a little Canadian jesus juice for the boys of Sunee? How sweet. Must be holier than Mont Clair.
:bo:
:bo:

poshglasgow
March 23rd, 2019, 05:17
I have flown with Thai over many years and on my return journey to London on Monday 18th March on TG916, the second meal served (about 3.5 hours from landing in London) was quite bloody awful: the worst I've had in 26 years of flying with Thai. I chose the "spicy chicken with sticky rice" as it sounded good. God, it was dire. It was barely lukewarm, had holes in the foil covering and consisted of minced chicken with a fried egg plonked on top with a mound of sticky (nay, superglued) rice. I should have left it.

Upon reaching Heathrow I stayed in a hotel at the airport for the night, during which I became very cold and shivered throughout the night. My body ached and I felt quite weak the next morning. I drove back to Sussex and the 'yellow' trots and intermittent stomach cramps began. After two days of feeling quite unwell the body, by now registering empty, recovered on Thursday afternoon. All is now well.

Now, one cannot jump to conclusions and blindly blame the airline food, as the problem could have been incubating for the past 48/72 hours, having ingested something well before the flight. I ate out in Jomtien on the Sunday evening, as I did on Saturday. In any case, airlines are generally very, very careful not to serve their passengers and crew dodgy food. Can you imagine being trapped in the sky for hours on end with scores of sick passengers, a few unwell cabin crew and one sick pilot? Yet, I cannot get that ghastly tepid meal out of my mind, so I sent an email to Thai Airways asking if they'd had any reports of sickness after that flight. Answer came there none - Silence. I emailed customer services in London again yesterday:answer came there none. Why so quiet? In all other respects I enjoy my Thai flights but this time I found the standard of food very disappointing. Just my personal opinion, of course.

frequent
March 23rd, 2019, 05:33
In all other respects I enjoy my Thai flights but this time I found the standard of food very disappointing. Just my personal opinion, of course.I generally find Thai food on Thai Airways on flights out of Bangkok to be uniformly execrable whereas Thai food on flights into Bangkok on Thai Airways to be ... not bad, probably because it wasn't prepared in TG kitchens in Bangkok

poshglasgow
March 23rd, 2019, 05:39
I generally find Thai food on Thai Airways on flights out of Bangkok to be uniformly execrable whereas Thai food on flights into Bangkok on Thai Airways to be ... not bad, probably because it wasn't prepared in TG kitchens in Bangkok

Absolutely agree. I've noticed this too over the years. Sadly, on the way out to BKK on TG 917 there was no choice other than eat the one dish that remained or go without. The food, however, was good.

gerefan2
March 23rd, 2019, 06:17
Yes it’s a well known fact that food ex Bangkok is worse than vice versa.
It’s not just Bangkok...try some African flights.

frequent
March 23rd, 2019, 06:22
Yes it’s a well known fact that food ex Bangkok is worse than vice versa. It’s not just Bangkok...try some African flights.This "well known fact" you learned from where? The newspapers you proudly assert you don't read, or that invaluable source of all that is true, the Internet?

kittyboy
March 24th, 2019, 22:42
I have flown with Thai over many years and on my return journey to London on Monday 18th March on TG916, the second meal served (about 3.5 hours from landing in London) was quite bloody awful: the worst I've had in 26 years of flying with Thai. I chose the "spicy chicken with sticky rice" as it sounded good. God, it was dire. It was barely lukewarm, had holes in the foil covering and consisted of minced chicken with a fried egg plonked on top with a mound of sticky (nay, superglued) rice. I should have left it.

I applaud the prodigious memory feat of remembering 26 years worth of airline food. That is Amazing Thai (air) land.

newalaan2
March 25th, 2019, 01:22
I chose the "spicy chicken with sticky rice" as it sounded good. God, it was dire. It was barely lukewarm, had holes in the foil covering and consisted of minced chicken with a fried egg plonked on top with a mound of sticky (nay, superglued) rice. I should have left it.

Now, one cannot jump to conclusions and blindly blame the airline food...……….

Reading article today titled 'beware the perils at 35,000ft'. "ask cabin crew what they eat on board and many give 'ABC' as their answer: Anything But Chicken". Based on the thought of some staff that because the galley ovens are generally tiny, some of the dishes on the bottom shelves don't always get cooked through. Also apparently many crew only drink bottled water and canned drinks because they reckon the cold water tanks onboard are rarely cleaned and often the water for coffee and tea is never properly boiled.

frequent
March 25th, 2019, 04:42
Reading article today titled 'beware the perils at 35,000ft'. "ask cabin crew what they eat on board and many give 'ABC' as their answer: Anything But Chicken". Based on the thought of some staff that because the galley ovens are generally tiny, some of the dishes on the bottom shelves don't always get cooked through. Also apparently many crew only drink bottled water and canned drinks because they reckon the cold water tanks onboard are rarely cleaned and often the water for coffee and tea is never properly boiled.Anything to fill up the column inches I suppose. A quick trawl of the Internet will find rather a lot of stories on the same theme including my favourite, a rather breathless comment from (needless to say) a female flight attendant that the food on board isn't actually cooked on board, and asking where else would you eat a meal prepared hours if not days previously and frozen before reheating. I wondered who shops for the supermarket "tv dinners" in her circle of friends

lonelywombat
March 28th, 2019, 17:55
Anything to fill up the column inches I suppose. A quick trawl of the Internet will find rather a lot of stories on the same theme including my favourite, a rather breathless comment from (needless to say) a female flight attendant that the food on board isn't actually cooked on board, and asking where else would you eat a meal prepared hours if not days previously and frozen before reheating. I wondered who shops for the supermarket "tv dinners" in her circle of friends
That would apply to perhaps to those flying at the rear of the plane. Cabin crew hate having to cook meals on flights.
But as you have not flown to Thailand you have to rely on others viewpoints. Just like you do on Pattaya and Thailand.