PDA

View Full Version : Thailand Visits - 3-4 months

kittyboy
February 12th, 2019, 19:52
My post is a visa/travel questions.

I am getting close to retiring and Thailand has its appeals - I am not sure I want to live in the LOS full time.
My plan is to spend 3-4 months a year in the LOS to enjoy the warmer weather and of course the other attractions.

I have a USA passport - On arrival I get a 30 day visa waiver (that is my understanding) and most of my travels over the years have been for 20-30 days. However, now I am looking at stays of 90-120 days.
What are my options? I think I can apply for an extension (?) of my visa waiver - What is the process? Spend a 1-3 thousand baht on an agent and they take care of it?
The other option is to fly to Cambodia or other parts of SE Asia every 30 days but are there issued with immigration coming back into the LOS?

Thoughts on this would be appreciated. If your only thought is Google it - then keep that thought to yourself. I have Googled it and the information is confusing and contradictory. I may get confusing and contradictory answers here but I am happy to hear 1st person experiences from people who actually live and or travel to the LOS

Wolzek
February 12th, 2019, 21:00
You arrive and get 30 days. Before theese ends you visit an immigration office and say you want to extend 30 more days. You pay 1900 baht for that. Then when 60 days are about to finish you visit a neighbouring country shortly and return to Thailand and repeat.

Manforallseasons
February 12th, 2019, 21:32
It you didn’t like the above reply try searching Yahoo....Lol

gerefan2
February 13th, 2019, 00:40
Kitty
I do exactly as you describe each year.
I’m British so I can get a 90 day visa from the Thai Consulate in London before I,leave the UK. I imagine you can do the same in the US? You have to be over 50 and it’s called an O visa. I post my passport to London with the money £50 and form and it comes back in a week. Never a problem.

Google Thai Embassy USA and it should have all the info if it’s similar to the UK site

If I want a further 30 days I simply go on a “border run” from Pattaya on a mini bus. It’s fucking awful and a wasted day of your life but it’s the simplest way of getting a further 30 days. The bus usually leaves at 7 am and gets back at about 4 pm. Cost about 2000 Bt.you go to the Cambodian border, do the necessary and return.
If you go to the Jomtien Immigration place as Wolzec describes, you only get a further 14 days (not 30) unless they have changed the rules.

You can of course fly somewhere each 30 days and get another 30 when you get back. More hassle, unless you really want to go, in my opinion.

I find 90 days enough. It escapes the Uk winter and I tire of Thailand after 90 days. I tried 120 but for me it’s too long.

Any questions let me know.

kittyboy
February 13th, 2019, 03:07
Kitty
I do exactly as you describe each year.
I’m British so I can get a 90 day visa from the Thai Consulate in London before I,leave the UK. I imagine you can do the same in the US? You have to be over 50 and it’s called an O visa. I post my passport to London with the money £50 and form and it comes back in a week. Never a problem.

Google Thai Embassy USA and it should have all the info if it’s similar to the UK site

If I want a further 30 days I simply go on a “border run” from Pattaya on a mini bus. It’s fucking awful and a wasted day of your life but it’s the simplest way of getting a further 30 days. The bus usually leaves at 7 am and gets back at about 4 pm. Cost about 2000 Bt.you go to the Cambodian border, do the necessary and return.
If you go to the Jomtien Immigration place as Wolzec describes, you only get a further 14 days (not 30) unless they have changed the rules.

You can of course fly somewhere each 30 days and get another 30 when you get back. More hassle, unless you really want to go, in my opinion.

I find 90 days enough. It escapes the Uk winter and I tire of Thailand after 90 days. I tried 120 but for me it’s too long.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks for the comments. I see the "O" Non Immigrant visa listed with the various requirements.

Another question - can a person convert a visa waiver on arrival to an "O" non immigrant visa after being in Thailand?

Thanks again for the information.

gerefan2
February 13th, 2019, 06:09
No,the 90 day visa must be obtained outside Thialand prior to,travel. I think it says that in the FAQ on the UK website. I assume this is because you have to submit evidence of income so the right sort of person can scrutinise it. A copy of a few months bank statements will do provided it shows a regular income or pension.

I think you may be able to obtain a 60 day visa on arrival but I have never tried.

I emphasise “I Think”, I don’t know for sure!

neddy3
February 13th, 2019, 08:00
AFAIK, only 30 days is given for visa on arrival.

Getting a tourist visa, TR, before you come will give 60 days.

pong
February 13th, 2019, 08:31
AFAIK, only 30 days is given for visa on arrival.

Getting a tourist visa, TR, before you come will give 60 days.
No-you wont even be able to board plane-esp. from US, if nothing has been arranged before-either visum or ticket OUT in 30-days. TH is an ideal setoff point to visit more countries near. You could also arrange the 60 day tourist visa and do a trip out from day 59/60-and comeback and then get the 30 day waiver.
IF you do decide to live here permamently, also stay the nasty hot+rainy season. If you opt,like me,for the 3-4 month choose 'cool'' season here, now.

ceejay
February 13th, 2019, 08:36
Hi kittiboy. I did what you are planning to do before moving to Thailand full time. It's a good option - either as a permanent way of life or to help you decide if you want to live here full time.
You can convert a 30 day exempt stamp to a 90 day visa (I have done it) but you probably won't want to because you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account.
I would suggest a tourist visa. You apply for this in your home country. It gives you 60 days on arrival and can be extended by 30 days (fee 1900 baht) to give you a total of 90 without leaving Thailand. Don't use an agent for this. It is a waste of money. Come back here for or ask around your farang friends in Thailand if you need advice on the procedure.
You could then, if you wanted, take a side trip to a neighbouring country and get a further 30 days from a visa exempt on return to give a total of up to 120 days.

BonTong
February 13th, 2019, 10:53
Agree with what ceejay says. I have several friends in Chiang Mai who come for the winter and do the 60 day tourist visa plus extension/border run thing to stay long enough. November through February is the nice time to be in Chiang Mai. 60 day visa is easy (if you are not abusing the system) and has no requirements. You don't need a plane ticket or proof of funds [N.B. you could still be asked to show 20,000 bt in cash when you arrive in Thailand though.]

I don't know about elsewhere but am hearing good things about extensions at Chiang Mai immigration now they have a new office and streamlined system. Before, it was a nightmare (as gerefan says "a wasted day of your life" - at least on a border run you get to see some scenery). Only paperwork issue is they apparently now insist on you having a TM30 receipt to get the extension (TM30 receipt is the proof that your landlord or hotel has registered you at that address)

francois
February 13th, 2019, 11:42
There is a lot of not quite right information posted above. But what ceejay and BonTong posted is correct. Get a 60 day tourist visa from the USA and you can extend that by 30 days in Thailand at Immigration. And you may be asked to show 20,000 Baht or equivalent in US Dollars upon arrival so be prepared for that and there are no ATMs prior to Immigration. So bring the cash with you.

gerefan2
February 13th, 2019, 14:20
Sorry I don’t get this.

Why get a 60 day visa and then go to the trouble (and it is trouble if you are at Pattaya Immigration) when you can simply get a 90 visa before you leave home?

You have the option of buying either, a 60 or 90 day visa in the UK, so the US is probably the same.

It is what I am on now, a 90 day visa bought in London and stamped up,on arrival at Swampy.

In your case doing anything else would be like practising bleeding.

BonTong
February 13th, 2019, 15:27
Sorry I don’t get this.

Why get a 60 day visa and then go to the trouble (and it is trouble if you are at Pattaya Immigration) when you can simply get a 90 visa before you leave home?

You stated earlier you have an "O" Visa. Fine if you can get it but, my understanding is, it only applies to certain groups of people. From Thai UK embassy website:

"O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

If you are not in the above groups but over 50 you can apply for "O-A" but I believe the requirements are much more stringent (e.g. 800K in a Thai bank). Whereas the 60 day tourist visa is pretty much no questions asked. Also, "retirement (with State Pension)" references UK in this case, US requirements may be different.

Which option works best depends on personal circumstances and is not a one size fits all solution.

francois
February 13th, 2019, 16:18
Sorry I don’t get this.

You have the option of buying either, a 60 or 90 day visa in the UK, so the US is probably the same.

The USA only issues O-A Visas which require more info including police check, medical check and income requirements.

Tourist Visa is $40; O-A Visa is $80.

Much easier to apply for a Tourist Visa and then extend it at Immigration (Easy to do)

gerefan2
February 13th, 2019, 19:27
Well I have said all along ...assuming...the US is the same as the UK.Lord knows why it should be different. TiT again!

Anyway, I have looked at my Visa and to be precise it is a “Non Immigrant O Visa”, valid 90 days and based on retirement with State pension (actually Employers pension).

kittyboy
February 13th, 2019, 21:52
The USA only issues O-A Visas which require more info including police check, medical check and income requirements.

Tourist Visa is $40; O-A Visa is $80.

Much easier to apply for a Tourist Visa and then extend it at Immigration (Easy to do)

Thanks. During the last 30 years I have made over 30 trip to the LOS but again mostly 20-30 day trips or shorter 5-6 day trips (when I was living in China).
My thinking is to spend 90-120 days in the LOS to escape the winter months.

As Francois stated - it appears that Thailand offers "O" non immigrant visas for "Those who wish to stay with family in Thailand (Thai Family) or wish to do volunteering work with the state enterprises or social welfare organizations in Thailand (Volunteering)" which is apparently different than "O" non immigrant visas for citizens of other countries?
Hmm..very confusing. The "TR" multiple entry tourist visa is a possibility - 60 days - but requires proof of flight and proof of money in the bank..etc. + 200 USD processing fee. I will probably follow Francois' advice and come on a 30 day visa waiver on arrival..get a 30 day extension then take a short trip out of the country.

My expected retirement is in 2-3 years.

Jellybean
February 13th, 2019, 21:53
. . . I’m British so I can get a 90 day visa from the Thai Consulate in London before I,leave the UK. I imagine you can do the same in the US? You have to be over 50 and it’s called an O visa. I post my passport to London with the money £50 and form and it comes back in a week. Never a problem . . .

Thanks gerefan2 for posting what I found very useful information in the above post referring to the availability of a visa allowing for a 90 day visit to Thailand by UK nationals.

For many years I used the providing proof of income to the British Embassy method as part of the process of obtaining a 12 month ‘retirement’ visa, although I spent only three to six months in Thailand.

But with recent changes regarding the certifying of income by embassies, I thought I had no alternative but to revert back to keeping 800,000 Baht in my Thai bank account and was about to transfer the required sum back in December 2018. Then I discovered a medical issue which necessitated being put on a waiting list to see my new ophthalmologist, whom I guessed correctly would want to recommend further surgery. I am now on a waiting list for surgery. It was therefore with a heavy heart that I had to cancel my three month trip to Thailand. I shall therefore miss out on renewing my 12 month ‘retirement’ visa next month.

On one previous occasion, also for medical reasons, I missed my renewal date, but several months later, I was able to renew my visa without too much trouble by simply paying a reasonable sum in a late renewal fine.

Over the last two months I have been trying to decide if I really wanted to endure the bureaucratic nightmare of obtaining a new 'retirement' visa at the inconveniently located Bangkok Immigration Office and sending what, for me at least, is a considerable amount of money, to sit for many months in a Thai bank account before and after I renewed my visa. I started looking for an alternative. When I first checked the Royal Thai Embassy website in London all I saw was the 60 day Tourist Visa, with the option to apply to extend it by a further 30 days once in Thailand. It wasn’t until gerefan2 said he obtained a 90 day visa, which would suit me perfectly, from the Embassy in London, that I took a fresh look and saw, what I had previously missed.

When I decide to return to Thailand I shall apply for the 90 day Non-Immigrant Type O Visa. I have quoted the relevant extracts from the Royal Thai Embassy website in London for any other British member/reader considering applying for a 90 day visa:

Non-Immigrant Visa

"O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

Visa applicants are required to read carefully the details and requirements of each type of Non-Immigrant visas

Please note :

The document to be submitted for non-immigrant visa application is contingent upon necessities and appropriateness of purposes stated in the application form.

Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.

Copies of company documents must be signed by Board of Directors and affixed the seal of the company.

In the absence of a required document, a letter indicating the unavailability of such document must be provided.

The applicant must sign on each page of the copy.

**Documents in foreign languages must be translated into English and the translation must be certified by the relevant embassy in London.**

Validity of visa and permitted length of stay

Single Entry Visa will be valid for 3 months from the date of issue. You must enter Thailand within the validity of visa. However, the permitted length of stay is up to 90 days from the date of your arrival in Thailand. Please carefully note the immigration stamp in your passport to make sure that you do not overstay your visa.

Multiple Entries Visa will be valid for 1 year from the date of issue. You must enter Thailand within the validity of visa. However, the permitted length of stay is up to 1 year from the date of your arrival in Thailand. Please carefully note the immigration stamp in your passport to make sure that you do not overstay your visa.

Required Documents

The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

Basic Documents Required for ALL Types of Non-Immigrant Visa

Visa application form completely filled out

Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages, as well as the photocopy of passport. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.

Two (2) recent photos (taken within the past 6 months)

Supporting documents for the purpose of visit to Thailand. (Please see details for each type.)

The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the rights to request for other additional documents, depending on the type of Non-Immigrant Visa.

Non-Immigrant Type O

For pensioner (aged 50 or over) : A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

Please note that I included just one bullet point, which I thought would be relevant to our membership under the last heading - Non-Immigrant Type O. For full details see the Royal Thai Embassy website in London: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

cdnmatt
February 14th, 2019, 01:33
Just grab a double entry tourist VISA before you go to Thailand. That gives you 6 months, and requires one border run after 90 days.

You get two entries. Each entry you will get stamped in for 60 days, which can be extended by 30 days at a local immigration office for 1900 baht. After your initial 90 days, you have to hit the border again, and you will get stamped in for an additional 60 days.

Nirish guy
February 14th, 2019, 04:04
To be fair Matt surely you're probably the very LAST person we should be taking advice from re visas, residency time limits and how and when to do border crossings from - don't you think !!? :-)

Wolzek
February 14th, 2019, 05:36
I will probably follow Francois' advice and come on a 30 day visa waiver on arrival..get a 30 day extension then take a short trip out of the country.

So many bad advice and incorrect info in this subject obviously has confused you. The advice you are referring to was mine. Francois suggested you get a tourist visa first. Which makes no sense if you want to stay 4 months but is better if you only want to stay 90 days.

BonTong
February 14th, 2019, 08:23
Just grab a double entry tourist VISA before you go to Thailand.
I don't know about the US, but I don't believe the double entry tourist visa exists anymore from UK embassy. There is either a single entry 60 Day Tourist Visa, or a multiple entry (each entry 60 days) tourist visa with six month validity. The later has requirements like proof of funds in the bank and employment.

francois
February 14th, 2019, 11:26
I don't know about the US, but I don't believe the double entry tourist visa exists anymore from UK embassy. There is either a single entry 60 Day Tourist Visa, or a multiple entry (each entry 60 days) tourist visa with six month validity. The later has requirements like proof of funds in the bank and employment.

Only single entry, 60 Day Tourist Visa, available from USA. Or a Multiple Entry Visa which, as mentioned above, requires you to leave and return every 60 days up to six months.

ceejay
February 14th, 2019, 12:46
My expected retirement is in 2-3 years.
Then I advise you to ask again in 2-3 years. I promise you, the situation will be different in some way. Threads like this always turn up differences of opinion. That's not people being contentious. It is because the rules vary from consulate to consulate, from Immigration Office to Immigration Office, from Immigration Officer to Immigration Officer and from day to day resulting in individuals in similar circumstances having radically different experiences.
You get used to it.

kittyboy
February 14th, 2019, 16:05
So many bad advice and incorrect info in this subject obviously has confused you. The advice you are referring to was mine. Francois suggested you get a tourist visa first. Which makes no sense if you want to stay 4 months but is better if you only want to stay 90 days.
Ah. My appologies.

kittyboy
February 14th, 2019, 21:55
Then I advise you to ask again in 2-3 years. I promise you, the situation will be different in some way. Threads like this always turn up differences of opinion. That's not people being contentious. It is because the rules vary from consulate to consulate, from Immigration Office to Immigration Office, from Immigration Officer to Immigration Officer and from day to day resulting in individuals in similar circumstances having radically different experiences.
You get used to it.

Thanks. I lived in China for 6 years and often visited Thailand and other SE Asian nations so I understand the consistent inconsistency of life in Asia (Sometimes).
Asking these type of questions 2-3 years prior to retiring may seem silly to some..I like to think things through in advance and part of the process is I have a better idea of where to search for information and the type of questions to ask over the next couple of years. So even though the answers may change I have a better understanding of the process.
I may or may not end up in the LOS. As I said 3-4 months a year seems idea to me but the experience of being a 3-4 month visitor is I suspect much different than being a 30 day visitor. It is an experience I may or may not like.

gerefan2
February 14th, 2019, 23:36
Actually I find 3 or 4 months much like 1 month. Eat, drink and sleep.

Now if I was there for a year then things might be different.

The other thing you need is a condo or house. I couldn't face 3 months in an hotel.

sglad
February 15th, 2019, 23:23
This is a great thread with many useful suggestions. Convivial and helpful without anyone being chastised for not using Google or being 'illiterate' or 'stupid' by frequent.

Just to clarify on a few terms:

The thirty-day stay that Singaporeans, Malaysians, Australians, Canadians, Americans, Brits, etc are granted on arrival is called a visa exemption and not a visa on arrival because citizens from countries that fall under the Visa Exemption Scheme are exempted from obtaining any kind visa if they want to stay for 30 days or less. The visa exemption pass, as you know, is free.

The visa on arrival is a visa that may be applied for by citizens of 21 countries including China, India and India (for purposes of tourism not exceeding 15 days) on arrival at any of Thailand's 42 international immigration checkpoints which includes Suvannaphum and Don Muang. They have to queue up, fill up forms, show tickets, provide photos and pay a fee of 2000Bt for the visa.

The single-entry tourist visa is meant for visitors who intend to stay in Thailand for 60 days or less and needs to be applied for in your home country or a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country. A fee is payable but it is free for us Singaporeans being citizens of Asean. This tourist visa can be extended within Thailand for another 30 days for a fee, allowing a visitor a total of 90 days stay.

To stay for 120 days, a visitor can use the tourist visa in the manner suggested above for 90 days, exit Thailand, have a short holiday-within-a holiday in a neighbouring country and then come back in for another 30 days on a visa exemption. Alternatively he or she can come in on a 60-day tourist visa, exit at the end of the 60 days, have a short holiday-within-a holiday in a neighbouring country while at the same time applying for another tourist visa valid for another 60 days at a Thai consulate in that neighbouring country. I think it takes only one or two working days to process. Singapore, Penang and Kuala Lumpur are popular destinations for a visa run. As kittyboy is a genuine tourist, having back-to-back tourist visas shouldn't be an issue.

BonTong
February 16th, 2019, 17:09
Alternatively he or she can come in on a 60-day tourist visa, exit at the end of the 60 days, have a short holiday-within-a holiday in a neighbouring country while at the same time applying for another tourist visa valid for another 60 days at a Thai consulate in that neighbouring country. I think it takes only one or two working days to process. Singapore, Penang and Kuala Lumpur are popular destinations for a visa run.
Vientiane, Laos, is also a popular place to get 60 day tourist Visa, at least for people in Chiang Mai.

sglad
February 16th, 2019, 22:05
Vientiane, Laos, is also a popular place to get 60 day tourist Visa, at least for people in Chiang Mai.

Yes, Vientiane is a good choice if you would like to avoid a big city like Singapore or KL. I've never been but friends who have love it.

christianpfc
February 19th, 2019, 21:26
...come on a 30 day visa waiver on arrival..get a 30 day extension then take a short trip out of the country.
Airline might refuse to let you on the plane. That happened to me in Taipei with China Airlines. I didn't have a tourist visa, and my flight out of Thailand was just short of 60 days after entering, and I showed airline staff a printout of 30 day extension from internet and stamps in my passport that I have done this before, but at the end I had to buy a flight out out of Thailand within 30 days (that was refundable, but still there were financial losses) to get on board.