PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for English print newspapers in Jomtien

jimmykirk
February 5th, 2019, 02:37
I have a share in a condo in Jomtien which is pretty central just off 2nd road - arriving next week for my first post-retirement trip of 4 weeks (a sampler as maximum stay previously only been 2 weeks and usually in Pattaya).
One of my rediscovered pleasures has been a nice long breakfast with a newspaper - the "Times" preferably. I know I can get this easily enough online via my phone or laptop, but I much prefer a printed version. So, can any of you kind gentlemen recommend somewhere it might be possible to buy a print version in or around Jomtien?

Please be gentle with me in your replies.......

jvt22222
February 5th, 2019, 06:17
Good selection at FOODMART ... same location as bus station to airport and across the road from PanPan restaurant.

frequent
February 5th, 2019, 11:23
Good selection at FOODMART ... same location as bus station to airport and across the road from PanPan restaurant.Perhaps next time you're there you could check the date on the most recent Times on sale and then advise the OP?

francois
February 5th, 2019, 13:54
When you say the Times, just what Times are you referring to?

frequent
February 5th, 2019, 14:11
When you say the Times, just what Times are you referring to?The Times, of course

francois
February 5th, 2019, 17:07
Oh, yes, The New York Times. :heart:

gerefan2
February 5th, 2019, 17:21
Only for wannabe Englishmen, eh Freek?

billyhouston
February 5th, 2019, 18:23
For those who care to read The Times, there is a very reasonable deal, and one which covers the full digital package, if you happen to reside overseas. The Times on a tablet is one of the best digital versions of a newspaper that I've come across. It's a monthly rolling contract for £5/month.

jimmykirk
February 5th, 2019, 20:52
When you say the Times, just what Times are you referring to?

"The London Times" - ie the the British version of "The Times"

jimmykirk
February 5th, 2019, 20:55
Good selection at FOODMART ... same location as bus station to airport and across the road from PanPan restaurant.

Will certainly try that - thanks.

Marsilius
February 6th, 2019, 01:59
"The London Times" - ie the the British version of "The Times"

Er, no... There's no such thing as The London Times. The Times newspaper in the UK dates from New Year's Day 1788, having changed its name from The Daily Universal Register. It has existed as The Times ever since then - i.e. for 231 years.

Although Americans refer colloquially but erroneously to a certain New York newspaper as The Times, its proper title since its foundation in 1851 is The New York Times. I see that Wikipedia refers to it informally as the Times (without the The) but the name Times with a The before it has, by precedence, to be accorded to the senior newspaper in London.

PS I subscribe to the Times in the UK, meaning I get the paper edition and the on-line one as well at a great saving over the on-the-street price. Hence I can read it in Thailand on publication day from about 9 am onwards. It is an attractive deal and well worth the money.

frequent
February 6th, 2019, 02:20
For those who care to read The Times, there is a very reasonable deal, and one which covers the full digital package, if you happen to reside overseas. The Times on a tablet is one of the best digital versions of a newspaper that I've come across. It's a monthly rolling contract for £5/month.I don’t read and certainly would never subscribe to any newspaper or television service owned by Rupert Murdoch

gerefan2
February 6th, 2019, 02:42
I have learned over the years never to read ANY newspapaer.

frequent
February 6th, 2019, 03:25
I have learned over the years never to read ANY newspapaer.Your woeful ignorance on anything and everything is testament to that. Nevertheless you turn to a bunch of anonymous sodomites and sex tourists to give you advice about your Will. I still dine out on your post the other week which demonstrated you had never heard of Instagram

gerefan2
February 6th, 2019, 20:47
I still dine out on your post the other week which demonstrated you had never heard of Instagram

I look forward to sharing your table.

gerefan2
February 6th, 2019, 20:50
Nevertheless you turn to a bunch of anonymous sodomites and sex tourists to give you advice about your Will.

The very same place where you struggle to show your masterly knowledge and intelligence?

frequent
February 7th, 2019, 01:31
The very same place where you struggle to show your masterly knowledge and intelligence?Noblesse oblige

frequent
February 7th, 2019, 02:12
I look forward to sharing your table.As I’m dining out it’s other people’s tables you’d be sharing and you’re such a dull little man, Captain, I doubt even my extensive powers of persuasion could get you an invitation

gerefan2
February 7th, 2019, 04:06
When dining out in England (Mr Wannabe) it is customary to reciprocate.
I’m still waiting.

frequent
February 7th, 2019, 07:38
When dining out in England (Mr Wannabe) it is customary to reciprocate.
I’m still waiting.Next time I have a home in England you can be sure that you’ll be top of the guest list. You must understand however it will just be the two of us, I wouldn’t dream of inflicting you on any of my real friends

mr giggles
February 8th, 2019, 07:02
I make a point of NOT reading any newspapers from home while I'm away.
:cool:

frequent
February 8th, 2019, 07:50
I make a point of NOT reading any newspapers from home while I'm away.I've saved gerefan2's morsel - I feel sure it will come in handy, just as arsenal's has - although in gerefan2's case he can't even spell the word
I have learned over the years never to read ANY newspapaer.