PDA

View Full Version : Retirement and the police check

poshglasgow
January 2nd, 2019, 02:02
I was looking at the requirements necessary for those who choose to retire to Thailand and noticed that one of them is that the applicant requires a 'police check'. Now, does that mean a check against the Thai police database or the UK database? If the latter, I presume that it is a DBS that is required (previously the CRB) and do the Thai authorities require a basic, standard or enhanced DBS?

2lz2p
January 2nd, 2019, 11:21
If applying for the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate for your country of residence, they want a police clearance report from your country of residence - their website should give an indication of what documentation they require and from whom.

If applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand for purpose of retirement, no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration.

frequent
January 2nd, 2019, 11:42
If applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand for purpose of retirement, no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration.If applying for an Extension for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand (for purpose of retirement), no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration because the applicant already has the Visa

If applying for the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate for your country of residence ... Per travellerjim's great friend Tod Daniels you BUY your O-A visa, you don't APPLY for it https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20549-Move-to-make-Health-Insurance-Mandatory-Retirement-Visas/page3

francois
January 2nd, 2019, 12:56
If applying for an Extension for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand (for purpose of retirement), no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration because the applicant already has the Visa

frequent, are you suggesting that 2lz2p is incorrect in his posting?

One can come to Thailand on a visa exempt or with a Tourist Visa and then convert that to a Non-O visa and yes, no criminal report is required.And No, the applicant does not already have the visa.

bkkguy
January 2nd, 2019, 13:45
If applying for an Extension for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand (for purpose of retirement), no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration because the applicant already has the Visa

frequent, are you suggesting that 2lz2p is incorrect in his posting?

yes Francois he is incorrect - you don't apply to extend a visa, you apply to extend a permission to stay, and even if you don't already have a visa there is no requirement for a police check when you apply for a non-O visa inside Thailand so already having a visa is not the issue

travelerjim
January 2nd, 2019, 16:52
Pardon me but you are full of crap...
Happy New Year infrequent truthsayer
Good riddens!

Jellybean
January 2nd, 2019, 22:39
In 2006 and 2007, before I decided to obtain my Extension of Stay and Multiple Re-Entry Permits at an Immigration Office in Thailand, I visited the Royal Thai Embassy & Consulate in London over two days on each annual application.

I note from an old passport that the last occasion I visited the Embassy was on November 30th, 2007 and paid GBP100 for a Non-immigrant O-A visa. The Embassy address is: 29 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5JB • Telephone (020) 7589 2944, getting off at South Kensington Underground Station and walking the short distance to Queen’s Gate.

At the time, it entailed a two day visit, the first to submit the application, various forms and payment and a return visit the following day to pick up my passport with visa. I took this action two years in a row before deciding to renew my Extension of Stay and Multiple Re-Entry Permits in Thailand and thus avoid the necessity/bother of obtaining a criminal records check, medical certificate and, more importantly, paying an extra charge of between £90 - £100 for the services of a notary.

The Royal Thai Embassy in London website link is below:
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7

I have however copied the relevant extract below:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity

Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.

Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.

An additional application form for O-A

Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here [Simply click on the link on website].

Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)

If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note:
- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.

With regard to the police check, in 2006 and 2007, I went to a local police station and obtained and completed a form requesting a criminal record check from the then styled Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). I was not aware that the CRB had been replaced by the The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) until it was mentioned in the OP. As far as I can remember, the then £10 fee covered a standard check, which was sufficient for the Thai authorities.

Readers will however note that at the bullet point covering the “Certificate of criminal record clearance” it refers applicants to the ACRO Website [Criminal Records Office] and not the DBS. An extract from their website is quoted below:

ACRO issues Police Certificates to people who want to emigrate to, or obtain a visa for, countries including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States of America.

The certificate details whether or not the applicant has a criminal record in the United Kingdom and is required as part of the visa process by the respective high commission or embassy.

Please note that the certificate may also include foreign criminal history information where it has been disclosed to the UK.

Certificates are prepared in accordance with the ACRO step-down model. These guidelines do not apply to Scottish convictions. Please note that Police Certificates will contain impending prosecutions and offences that are under investigation.

Police Certificates will only be provided in a physical format and we are unable to discuss the content of the certificate until you have received it.

The Police Certificate is not intended for use to gain employment within the UK or to emigrate to the UK.
Please read our frequently asked questions for further information on Police Certificates. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, please contact ACRO Customer Services.

You can apply online by clicking the button below.

I hope this of some help to you poshglasgow.

frequent
January 3rd, 2019, 02:21
Pardon me but you are full of crap...Ah Jim, glad to have you back but without, I see, any reference to Tod's assertion that someone BUYS an O-A Visa from a Thai Consulate in their home country. Then there's the small question of a link to the health insurance policy having been approved by the Thai Cabinet. No?

frequent
January 3rd, 2019, 02:26
yes Francois he is incorrect - you don't apply to extend a visa, you apply to extend a permission to stay, and even if you don't already have a visa there is no requirement for a police check when you apply for a non-O visa inside Thailand so already having a visa is not the issueQuite right the extension is to stay for the visa you currently have not to the visa itself. The only time you can apply for an extension to stay when you don't have a visa is when you enter Thailand under the (usually 30-day) visa exemption. However, bkkguy, isn't the application for a non-O visa while already in Thailand technically an application to change your visa type?

frequent
January 3rd, 2019, 06:22
Change of visa type in-country - one opinion: http://integrity-legal.com/legal-blog/thailand-business/changing-thai-visa-status-in-the-kingdom-of-thailand/

2lz2p
January 3rd, 2019, 12:43

Per travellerjim's great friend Tod Daniels you BUY your O-A visa, you don't APPLY for it https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20549-Move-to-make-Health-Insurance-Mandatory-Retirement-Visas/page3

Many come to Thailand and enter as Visa Exempt or using a Tourist Visa. If you qualify for an extension of stay based on retirement, you can "apply" for Non-Immigrant O Visa if you entered Visa Exempt OR you can apply to convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa. If in Pattaya, Immigration on Jomtien Soi 5 takes the application and required documents (passport, meeting financial requirements, residence, photo) plus fee of 2,000 baht - documents are sent to Bangkok for approval and a minimum of 15 days on your permission to stay needs be available - otherwise, you can extend the Visa Exempt 30 day initial stay or Tourist Visa 60 day initial stay for another 30 days. Thai Immigration does not require a police report or medical certificate as part of the documentation.

When approval is received, Pattaya Immigration places the Non-Immigrant O Visa in your passport and gives you a 90 day permission to stay from date the Non-O is issued. After 60 days have elapsed, you return to Immigration and apply for a one year extension based on retirement -- same documents required, application for extension fee is 1,900 baht. The extension is issued by Pattaya Immigration, they usually ask you return the next day to pick up the passport.

As to "buying" a Visa - hmmmmm! The form says Application and as I recall, most Embassy/Consulate websites, dealing with Visa applications note that fees are not refundable in if the application is denied.

frequent
January 3rd, 2019, 12:46
As to "buying" a Visa - hmmmmm! The form says Application and as I recall, most Embassy/Consulate websites, dealing with Visa applications note that fees are not refundable in if the application is denied.No wonder poor old Jim wants to divert attention onto my minor inaccuracies given he's still got nothing to say about his hero Tod asserting that people BUY an O-A visa, and that's leaving aside the whole medical insurance "decision" Tod claims the Thai Cabinet has made

2lz2p
January 3rd, 2019, 13:02
Quite right the extension is to stay for the visa you currently have not to the visa itself. The only time you can apply for an extension to stay when you don't have a visa is when you enter Thailand under the (usually 30-day) visa exemption. However, bkkguy, isn't the application for a non-O visa while already in Thailand technically an application to change your visa type?

Immigration Police Rules for extensions of stay for purpose of retirement (and many other reasons) require the foreigner to be the holder of a Non-Immigrant Visa (various categories available, e.g., B for business, O for other which is the one used for retirement purposes). So, for most cases including retirement, you must have been issued a Non-Immigrant Visa before you can apply for a long stay extension. Thai Immigration when the reason is for purpose of retirement, will issue the Non-Immigrant Visa (most must be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand).

It is interesting to note that if a married couple, only one spouse need meet the age and financial requirements for retirement, whereas the spouse "piggy backs" on their Retirement Extension. The spouse must show a valid marriage certificate and ALSO be the holder of a Non-Immigrant O Visa. But, the spouse cannot apply for one in Thailand - they must obtain their Non-Immigrant O Visa from an Embassy/Consulate and use it to enter Thailand. They are allowed to extend their stay for the same duration as approved for their spouse. And, no - it doesn't work for legally married Gay couples as Thailand does not recognize same sex marriages.

Smiles
January 3rd, 2019, 14:05
" ... asserting that people BUY an O-A visa ... "
Nit-picker. Shirley he meant "fee'" not "buy". I noted that as well and jumped over it in abandon, knowing it was not worthy of the picking.

( I held off saying " get a life" as it is so so cliche ... also non-worthy)

frequent
January 3rd, 2019, 14:19
Nit-picker. Shirley he meant "fee'" not "buy". I noted that as well and jumped over it in abandon, knowing it was not worthy of the picking.

( I held off saying " get a life" as it is so so cliche ... also non-worthy)Are you making excuses for Jim or Tod?

Smiles
January 3rd, 2019, 14:36
No. Only that in this topic I agree with the 'Crap Model'

mahjongguy
January 4th, 2019, 06:37
Conversion of a visa waiver entry or a tourist visa entry to Category O is an administrative trick, a sleight of hand. They give you a single entry visa, grant you 90 days, then immediately stamp the visa as Used. The 90 days gives you plenty of time to season the 800,000 baht for two months, then you can get your one-year extension. No med cert or police check required.

bkkguy
January 4th, 2019, 14:09
the extension is to stay for the visa you currently have not to the visa itself

well no, the extension is of permission to stay even if you arrived visa exempt and thus do not currently have a visa!

However, bkkguy, isn't the application for a non-O visa while already in Thailand technically an application to change your visa type?

if you arrive on a tourist visa you are changing visa (form TM 86), if you arrive visa exempt you are applying for a visa (form TM 87)

your article seems to suggest the second option is not preferred by Immigration, I have done it once in the past but I am not sure what current policy is

frequent
January 4th, 2019, 14:38
well no, the extension is of permission to stay even if you arrived visa exempt and thus do not currently have a visa!If you read carefully I made precisely that point
The only time you can apply for an extension to stay when you don't have a visa is when you enter Thailand under the (usually 30-day) visa exemption

frequent
January 4th, 2019, 15:12
No. Only that in this topic I agree with the 'Crap Model'That Jim/Tod is talking crap? I couldn't agree more. Arrr Jim lad