PDA

View Full Version : Stickyrice

kjun12
December 26th, 2018, 10:40
Stickyrice was around for a long time but is apparently now history. Is the owner still around?

frequent
December 26th, 2018, 10:43
Stickyrice was around for a long time but is apparently now history. Is the owner still around?Web site? Bar? Magazine?

Oliver2
December 26th, 2018, 14:11
A magazine like many other free glossy productions that we could pick-up in bars a few years ago. Adverts, photos of models (very demure) , maps and, in some cases, articles. Of five or so I recall, Thai Puan seems to be the last man standing. A sign of the times.

Jacky
December 26th, 2018, 14:26
No need to waste paper. Everybody has access to internet nowadays.

frequent
December 26th, 2018, 14:27
Interestingly "sticky rice" usually denotes Asian-on-Asian action

christianpfc
December 26th, 2018, 15:37
The OP is referring to http://www.stickyrice.ws/ which is indeed "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site."

I know the owner and just asked him, he stopped hosting it. He is still around, i.e. living in Thailand.

There remain only one magazine and one map about gay places in Thailand.
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2015/02/gay-forums-blogs-guides-and-encounters.html
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/03/gay-magazines-distribution-problem.html

frequent
December 26th, 2018, 16:10
Not http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsthai.htm Christian?

Manforallseasons
December 26th, 2018, 16:26
Stickyrice was around for a long time but is apparently now history. Is the owner still around?

Sticyrice was owned by Phil Graham.......Haven’t seen him in years.

Oliver2
December 26th, 2018, 17:07
I found these magazines to be nice souvenirs of my trips to Thailand. Come to think of it, I've still got a few copies in my attic. I think.

arsenal
December 26th, 2018, 20:30
I believe that Christian's blog is about Thailand (with perhaps the merest nod to other countries} whereas Utopia Gay Asia is about the whole continent. If only there were a clue in the name.

pong
December 29th, 2018, 18:37
I believe that Christian's blog is about Thailand (with perhaps the merest nod to other countries} whereas Utopia Gay Asia is about the whole continent. If only there were a clue in the name.

But then pfc does give uptodate and often a bit hilarious and not that always ohso PC and honour the advertiser leave any naughty outside info.
Its some time ago I now I last checked that Ut-as and then it was at least 5-6 years out of date for BKK. I sent a general note in their then forum to tell this and this was refused, but no update was made.
The still in print BKK mag and maps come out around ev 2 monthes and can be found at the paying advertisers.

Smiles
December 29th, 2018, 21:19
Has anyone been lucky enough to decipher Pong's musings. God knows I've tried my best.

francois
December 29th, 2018, 23:17
Just thinking the same thing,Smiles.I assume it is not only I ?

Moses
December 30th, 2018, 02:24
Has anyone been lucky enough to decipher Pong's musings. God knows I've tried my best.

me

But then pfc does give uptodate and often a bit hilarious and not that always ohso PC and honour the advertiser leave any naughty outside info.

This is about Christian and his blog

Its some time ago I now I last checked that Ut-as and then it was at least 5-6 years out of date for BKK. I sent a general note in their then forum to tell this and this was refused, but no update was made.

This is about Utopia Asia's outdated info and Pong's attempts to fix it

The still in print BKK mag and maps come out around ev 2 monthes and can be found at the paying advertisers.
this is about not correct maps in magazines nowadays

sglad
December 30th, 2018, 18:47

Moses apparently (see post above this). Makes sense as they both studied with the same English teacher.

Smiles
December 30th, 2018, 21:00
Moses apparently (see post above this). Makes sense as they both studied with the same English teacher.In that case, English teacher bad.

christianpfc
December 30th, 2018, 21:17
Not http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsthai.htm Christian?
Without a link, only the OP knows which website he is referring to. But the only stickyrice I know is http://www.stickyrice.ws/ (content is gone), whereas your link still works.

Sticyrice was owned by Phil Graham.......Haven’t seen him in years.
Another stickyrice? Not the person I know as the owner of stickyrice website. As we know from the forums, there are all kinds of impostors around in Thailand, but I have no doubt my friend is the author of stickyrice.

Manforallseasons
December 30th, 2018, 21:34
Without a link, only the OP knows which website he is referring to. But the only stickyrice I know is http://www.stickyrice.ws/ (content is gone), whereas your link still works.

Another stickyrice? Not the person I know as the owner of stickyrice website. As we know from the forums, there are all kinds of impostors around in Thailand, but I have no doubt my friend is the author of stickyrice.

You do not know what you are talking about....believe it or not there was a gay Thailand before you came......Sticky Rice was a small magazine owned then by Phil Graham.

frequent
December 30th, 2018, 21:59
In that case, English teacher bad. Isn't it amazing that someone from the home of "Singlish" is such an expert in the English language! A Catholic school in Houston is a more likely source of such expertise

snotface
December 31st, 2018, 09:21
Sticky Rice was a small magazine owned then by Phil Graham.

Correct. I still have a few copies from 2005. By 2007 it had become Spice!, still run by Phil Graham. I dealt with Phil personally because he published a few articles of mine. Funnily enough, I saw him walking past with other farangs in Jomtien Complex about a week ago, first time I'd seen him in a long time, though we didn't speak (and he probably wouldn't remember me).

frequent
December 31st, 2018, 09:59
Correct. I still have a few copies from 2005. By 2007 it had become Spice!, still run by Phil Graham. I dealt with Phil personally because he published a few articles of mine. Funnily enough, I saw him walking past with other farangs in Jomtien Complex about a week ago, first time I'd seen him in a long time, though we didn't speak (and he probably wouldn't remember me).Perhaps we could have a periodic "where are they now?" segment. Where, for example, is Dreaded Ned?

snotface
December 31st, 2018, 10:15
Perhaps we could have a periodic "where are they now?" segment. Where, for example, is Dreaded Ned?

Or where is The Colonel? :rolleyes:

frequent
December 31st, 2018, 10:26
Or where is The Colonel? :rolleyes:Did you miss the scoop? Surfcrest gave an ex cathedra pronouncement some time ago along the lines of this Monty Python sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218 (in which you will see an actual Colonel appears) - and there is no reason to doubt Surfcrest now is there? In the same pronouncement he stated that I am the poster formerly known as boygeenyus which gave great amusement to both of us

francois
December 31st, 2018, 12:49
Or where is The Colonel? :rolleyes:

And Kommentariat and Boygenius?

frequent
December 31st, 2018, 13:08
And Kommentariat and Boygenius?If you don't already know the answer to both of those, francois, you're not even trying

snotface
December 31st, 2018, 14:30
And Kommentariat and Boygenius?

I'm always a bit surprised by how poor an ear for the 'voice' (its tone, rhythms, vocabulary, stylistic quirks etc) of other posters so many on a board like this have. I often scratch my head when someone confidently outs a poster as beachlover or whoever when they don't sound a bit like him to me. In the example above, yes, we can confidently place kommentariat in the lineage of The Colonel, homintern, Copper Pheel and many others, but boygeenyus? - another combination of cleverness, cussedness and ridicule altogether. Not the same person.

francois
December 31st, 2018, 18:02
If you don't already know the answer to both of those, francois, you're not even trying

I was just doing my part to contribute to the futile patter on the forum.:devilsh: