PDA

View Full Version : The best part about Russia is that Putin has to die of old age at some point.

cdnmatt
December 25th, 2018, 01:31
The best part about Russia is that Putin has to die of old age at some point.

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 02:44
The best part about Russia is that Putin has to die of old age at some point.Russia's GDP is smaller than a number of US States - New York and California to name but two. It's only slightly larger than Australia's FFS. It's a gangster state with nuclear weapons and a rapidly ageing population. Alcoholism affects a substantial proportion of the population and according to Wikipedia might be described as a humanitarian disaster. It will be interesting to see what happens next. However, assuming Putin's death will be a good thing is questionable. The kleptocracy he's built up around him will have strong motivation to survive with whatever remains of the nation state

Moses
December 25th, 2018, 03:15
Alcoholism affects a substantial proportion of the population and according to Wikipedia might be described as a humanitarian disaster.

It's urban legend...
Look at real studies https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31310-2/

Russians drink less than in Europe nowadays (data: 2016)

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 03:42
Russians drink less than in Europe nowadays (data: 2016)What a relief. And the falling GDP, state-sponsored gangsterism, and kleptocracy?

Moses
December 25th, 2018, 03:53
And the falling GDP?
Ok, one more legend should be destructed :)

Since 2000 Russia had 4 years when GDP was falling : 2009 (result of World crisis), 2014, 2015 and 2016 (results of oil prices). At 2017 and 2018 GDP is growing again. For comp. UK had 6 years of falling GDP since 2000, EU - 5 years.

Source: World bank https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?locations=RU

but if we will talk about GDP PPP (what is more fair since 3/4 of GDP been consumed internal within Russia) - then only 2 years: 2009 and 2015 were with falling GDP

Source: World bank https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD?end=2017&locations=RU&start=1990

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 05:10
Since 2000 Russia had 4 years when GDP was falling : 2009 (result of World crisis), 2014, 2015 and 2016 (results of oil prices). At 2017 and 2018 GDP is growing again. For comp. UK had 6 years of falling GDP since 2000, EU - 5 years.Fabulous. When will you start organising gay tours? All those blond Russian boys

Moses
December 25th, 2018, 05:35
Fabulous. When will you start organising gay tours? All those blond Russian boys

I don't think I will do that: too risky for visitors and guides. Homophobia is quite strong here. But there are about 6 or 7 clubs in Moscow and 3 or 4 saunas, 3 or 4 clubs and 2 or 3 saunas in S-Pb.

But when you are thinking about Russia, don't think what propaganda exists only at East side of the rope - West side is also ill: virus of propaganda lives on West side as well. The main victory and at the same time the main problem of Putin and Russia is fact what over 3/4 of population of Russia supports Putin: because at his presidential time Russia got over 6 times growing of GDP, over 4 times of growing of average personal income. And that makes Putin and his regime supported by majority of population, but it also makes opposition weak. By this reason there are no real political competition to Kremlin without strong opposition in Russia. No competition = no progress in democracy. That's real problem.

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 05:42
But when you are thinking about Russia, don't think what propaganda exists only at East side of the rope - West side is also ill: virus of propaganda lives on West side as well.That's rather like the man suffering from leprosy pointing to someone with a cold and saying "See, just as sick as me"

Moses
December 25th, 2018, 05:53
That's rather like the man suffering from leprosy pointing to someone with a cold and saying "See, just as sick as me"

No. It is about fact what you a watching at wrong direction under influence of propaganda. Economy isn't weak point of Russia. 3rd country in world by incoming migration, second largest weapon exporter, first grain exporter, one of largest gas and oil exporter and so on. At 17 years economy expanded 6 times (comp. to USA: expansion less than 2 times at the same 17 years). 20 years Russia sells more than buys. Inflation <4%, jobless <5%, 5th gold reserve ~2000 tonnes (more than China (6th) has, or more than Switzerland (7th) and Japan (8th) together) .

Weak democracy, court's dependence from parliament and Kremlin, not enough freedom of speech - real weak points.

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 06:20
No. It is about fact what you a watching at wrong direction under influence of propaganda. Economy isn't weak point of Russia. 3rd country in world by incoming migration, second largest weapon exporter, first grain exporter, one of largest gas and oil exporter and so on. At 17 years economy expanded 6 times (comp. to USA: expansion less than 2 times at the same 17 years). 20 years Russia sells more than buys. Inflation <4%, jobless <5%, 5th gold reserve ~2000 tonnes (more than China (6th) has, or more than Switzerland (7th) and Japan (8th) together) .

Weak democracy, court's dependence from parliament and Kremlin, not enough freedom of speech - real weak points.I'm sure it's a fabulous, fabulous place - we should all migrate there and live happily ever after

Moses
December 25th, 2018, 06:32
I'm sure it's a fabulous, fabulous place - we should all migrate there and live happily ever after

It depends on what do you prefer more: democracy and freedom of speech or low taxation of income (for example sole proprietorship's taxation is 4%-6%) and high profit from business :)

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 08:13
It depends on what do you prefer more: democracy and freedom of speech or low taxation of income (for example sole proprietorship's taxation is 4%-6%) and high profit from business :)I quite agree Moses - fuck the common people, we're all in this for ourselves not each other

arsenal
December 25th, 2018, 09:16
You got a right pasting on that one Frequent. The neutral observer would get the native/non native English speaker mixed up. Oh well. At leaet Russia gave us the best Fifa World Cup ever.

frequent
December 25th, 2018, 14:35
You got a right pasting on that one Frequent. The neutral observer would get the native/non native English speaker mixed up. Oh well. At leaet Russia gave us the best Fifa World Cup ever.Clearly you don't understand the lessons of modern psychology, arsenal. Most people don't infer opinions from facts; they select facts that buttress their prejudices. Moses is no different and there's therefore no point in presenting counter arguments, merely irony. I was waiting for him to trot out the trickle-down argument in support of low taxation for entrepreneurs but I guess he got bored before I did

Have you got your New Year's ball gown sorted out? I know a highly recommended fashion designer