PDA

View Full Version : Retiring in thailand

aot871
December 9th, 2018, 18:52
Knowing what you know now ? If it wasnt for the cheap sex on offer, would you still retire to Thaland,?

Manforallseasons
December 9th, 2018, 18:56
NO

francois
December 9th, 2018, 23:14
I wouldn't do anything differently; one cannot foresee the future.

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2018, 23:33
I'm not of retirement age, but definitely, I'd still live in Asia if it wasn't for the cheap sex on tap. That's obviously a nice benefit of living there, but hardly the only reason I enjoy it more than Canada. This is especially true now that I'm blind.

Nirish guy
December 10th, 2018, 00:17
I'm not of retirement age, .

What age are you actually Matt ? As it's never overly obvious from your posts I'd always just assumed somewhere in the 30-35 band or so just ??

siscu58
December 10th, 2018, 00:51
Certainly not

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2018, 01:14
What age are you actually Matt ? As it's never overly obvious from your posts I'd always just assumed somewhere in the 30-35 band or so just ??

37 to be exact.

frequent
December 10th, 2018, 02:25
What age are you actually Matt ? As it's never overly obvious from your posts I'd always just assumed somewhere in the 30-35 band or so just ??Matt's there for the intellectual companionship he can't find back in Canada. That and the evasion of all the social responsibilities the rest of us have, like paying taxes

Marsilius
December 10th, 2018, 03:51
For the first few visits - or even years of visits - I'm sure that most people are so overwhelmed, especially by the sex, that they think that they are in paradise. I certainly did and I also thought then what a great place it would be for retirement. Gradually, though, over the years, the country's defects come into stronger focus - poor infrastructure, lack of much of an idea of customer service, corruption on all levels and many more. Then one may come to realise that LOS is a great place for holidays or even longer visits, but not one in which I, at least, would choose to live permanently. Of course, for others the undoubted attractions may outweigh the negatives and they may reach a different conclusion entirely...

gerefan2
December 10th, 2018, 03:52
Yes Matt is a criminal. No taxes paid,, no visa and lived in a country until he was forcibly deported.
Did he say he was blind...yet again?

frequent
December 10th, 2018, 05:50
Yes Matt is a criminal. No taxes paid,, no visa and lived in a country until he was forcibly deported.
Did he say he was blind...yet again?Not to mention his promotion of the Bitcoin scam so beloved of his Mafia customers

Smiles
December 10th, 2018, 13:53
As 'ManForAllSeasons' so succinctly puts it: "YES"!

(Did the OP mean just a yes-or-no response, or did he expect elaboration?)

Impulse
December 11th, 2018, 23:25
No. The main reason being the heat.

Also I don’t like the bugs. The dirty rat infested beaches. The noisy bikes and buses. The air pollution. The crappy infrastructure. The dangerous electrical things. Visa paperwork. The fungi, bacteria, and all the viruses. The hard to learn language.

But before someone says why don’t I go home then, the easy sex makes up for it all. Sex I could not get so easy if I was home. But I’m only here for half the year. I tend to get into unhealthy habits here in los. Like eat too much sugar, can’t pass up the nineteen baht Burger King Sundaes! And lack of exercise, though I walk more here.

Blacktouch
December 12th, 2018, 02:11
No.

Only visit for holidays and sex!

gerefan2
December 12th, 2018, 04:48
But I’m only here for half the year. I tend to get into unhealthy habits here in los. .

I too do about 4 or 5 months a year. It’s all I can take with their funny ways! So, No I couldn’t retire here although I have thought about it a lot.

On this trip I have only been here about 10 days (out of three months) and I’m already thinking I couldn’t live here permanently

mr giggles
December 12th, 2018, 10:24
Did he say he was blind...yet again?

I was always understood that with a bit of creative accounting, taxes were optional.

frequent
December 12th, 2018, 10:51
I was always understood that with a bit of creative accounting, taxes were optional.Maybe they are, but I side with the American Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes who said "Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society" and if you believe Matt there's nowhere more civilized than Thailand

Dodger
December 12th, 2018, 11:10
No

I just officially retired and wouldn't have a chance in hell of having a young naked brown boy laying next to me in bed if I had chosen to retire back in the U.S., thus the reason (and only reason) I retired in Thailand.

I can't find a can opener that works more than 2 times before one of the blades falls off and I need a hammer and screw driver to open a can of beans.
Getting a salt shaker that actually works without shaking uneatable raw rice on my food is always a thrill.
Driving here requires suicidal instincts - I do the sign of the cross every time I park my motorbike.
The air pollution is so bad that I've discarded any inclinations to quit smoking.
Every time a boy asks me "where you from - how long you here" I try to remember what it was like fucking his father.
Realizing that not understanding a word of what they are saying is actually a blessing.
Thai food sucks (sorry, not in that camp) and having those hot chilies constantly burning the shit out of my eyes is such a delight.

Yes, I Love Thailand...but for one reason, and one reason only!

Jacky
December 17th, 2018, 15:17
I lived in Bangkok for 1.5 year 10 years ago, just to test the water before I dive in. At the end, I got bored, and left.
And now, I have more money, and sex is not my priority anymore.
So, no I do not want to spend my retirement years in Thailand.

Manforallseasons
December 17th, 2018, 16:16
I lived in Bangkok for 1.5 year 10 years ago, just to test the water before I dive in. At the end, I got bored, and left.
And now, I have more money, and sex is not my priority anymore.
So, no I do not want to spend my retirement years in Thailand.

All things considered why would you?

Kenny
December 17th, 2018, 18:01
I would like to retire to Thailand, I think.
I currently visit twice a year for up to two months in all.
It would be a nice alternative to the Irish winter.
But after reading the posts I am not so sure.
I guess when compared to staying at home it still holds good -the boys, the sun and sand, cheap lifestyle, opportunities to travel in the region, meeting like minded fellow travellers, all the gay centered entertainment...
Sitting here at home on a cold wet winters day, with nothing on grindr worth pursuing in this rural backwater I call home, I am looking forward to my next field trip to pattaya in two weeks time to further test it out as a retirement destination.
Sure, where else would you go?

sglad
December 17th, 2018, 18:27
I would like to retire to Thailand, I think.
I currently visit twice a year for up to two months in all.
It would be a nice alternative to the Irish winter.
But after reading the posts I am not so sure.
I guess when compared to staying at home it still holds good -the boys, the sun and sand, cheap lifestyle, opportunities to travel in the region, meeting like minded fellow travellers, all the gay centered entertainment...
Sitting here at home on a cold wet winters day, with nothing on grindr worth pursuing in this rural backwater I call home, I am looking forward to my next field trip to pattaya in two weeks time to further test it out as a retirement destination.
Sure, where else would you go?

You're Irish and your name is Kenny? So cute! Thanks for that upbeat post about Thailand - it made me smile. :)

cdnmatt
December 17th, 2018, 23:40
For those thinking of retiring, you may want to check out places other than Bangkok or Pattaya. For example, Udon Thani is a pretty nice city, and has everything you need. Lots of money boys, plus you don't have to deal with all the bullshit that comes with living in Pattaya.

frequent
December 18th, 2018, 01:59
For those thinking of retiring, you may want to check out places other than Bangkok or Pattaya. For example, Udon Thani is a pretty nice city, and has everything you need. Lots of money boys, plus you don't have to deal with all the bullshit that comes with living in Pattaya.Play your cards right, you won't even need a visa - just ask Matt

Oliver2
December 18th, 2018, 14:23
Are today's expats happy? My impression fifteen years ago when I considered relocation was that many weren't, particularly some who were regular contributors to this forum. Their evident loathing of each other and, in some cases Thais, encouraged me to remain a regular visitor rather than a resident.

Manforallseasons
December 18th, 2018, 15:06
For those thinking of retiring, you may want to check out places other than Bangkok or Pattaya. For example, Udon Thani is a pretty nice city, and has everything you need. Lots of money boys, plus you don't have to deal with all the bullshit that comes with living in Pattaya.

Retirement in Nakhon Nowhere such as Udon Thani will lead to an abundance of masterbation from sheer boredom which can cause blindness and eventually death.

arsenal
December 18th, 2018, 15:14
Oliver wrote.
"Are today's expats happy? My impression fifteen years ago when I considered relocation was that many weren't, particularly some who were regular contributors to this forum. Their evident loathing of each other and, in some cases Thais, encouraged me to remain a regular visitor rather than a resident."

Our most favourite Bangkok based ex-pat is clearly very happy now he has sooo much time on his hands and this is reflected in his posts. All day, every day.

Blacktouch
December 18th, 2018, 15:56

Matt, are there any gay bars/clubs in Iron Thani which are worth visiting?

gerefan2
December 18th, 2018, 17:42
According to Christians website (which I would trust more than any other poster in this thread) there are no Boy Bars in Udon Thani.
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2015/01/other-gay-places-in-udon-thani.html

I think manforallseasons advice is spot on!

However,I will ask one of my boys tonight who comes form Udon and if there is anyhting to report,I will.

cdnmatt
December 18th, 2018, 19:02
Right, there is probably no gay bars in Udon Thani, and certainly no go-go bars. There are the apps though. I had no problem finding money boys in Khon Kaen, so Udon Thani should be no problem as it's quite a bit larger of a city. You will most likely even meet some boys who used to work in Pattaya if that's your fancy.

The one 22 year old I used to go with quite often used to work in Pattaya. Had a Rsussian boyfriend who broke his heart, so he packed up, and moved to Khon Kaen. Worked as a cell phones salesman.

Plus the good thing about living up there is you don't have to worry about 90% of the city inhabitants coming up with schemes to get into your wallet, like you have to worry about in Pattaya. You can just relax and enjoy your life. You don't have to constantly be harrassed and listen to "hello handsome man!" all the time when you're walking the streets.

Wolzek
December 18th, 2018, 19:24
Right, there is probably no gay bars in Udon Thani, and certainly no go-go bars. There are the apps though. I had no problem finding money boys in Khon Kaen, so Udon Thani should be no problem as it's quite a bit larger of a city. You will most likely even meet some boys who used to work in Pattaya if that's your fancy.

In your previous post you stated that Udon Thani has lots of moneyboys. Now you are confessing you were just guessing because of the size of the city and that you have absolutely no knowledge about the subject.

cdnmatt
December 18th, 2018, 19:33
Matt, are there any gay bars/clubs in Iron Thani which are worth visiting?

I don't know, but I doubt it. Maybe there's a small gay bar there somewhere, but I'm sure that would be about it. It's not a tourist area, nor is it the West. In most of Thailand, gay people don't segregate themselves from the rest of society with their own bars and hotels. Gay people just live amongst the breeders.

The apps work fine though. I always just asked (in Thai), "what are you looking for? a friend, boyfriend, fun, fun with money, or what?". Not too often, but occassionally I would get the "fun with money" response. Definitely more than enough to satisfy my libido.

Then assuming you're in a house, I'd recommend not bringing them back to your home. For one, probably best to not let them know where you live for obvious reasons. Plus it's just frowned upon in society there, so you stand the chance of being shunned by everyone in your area. Then your life will suck, because everyone at the small shops and market stalls around you won't want anything to do with you. Either just rent a decent little apartment outside of your home, or do what I did and just use curtain motels, as they're all over the place there.

For example, I'm sure everyone in my local area knew what I was doing when I was going to see a gik. Instead of wandering around in shorts and a t-shirt, I was all showered up and dressed in jeans with a nice shirt, and walking with my tablet. I'm sure they knew what I was doing, but they didn't care because I was taking that type of activity to where it belongs -- a curtain motel.

Gay people don't

cdnmatt
December 18th, 2018, 20:08
In your previous post you stated that Udon Thani has lots of moneyboys. Now you are confessing you were just guessing because of the size of the city and that you have absolutely no knowledge about the subject.

I talked with lots of money boys from Udon Thani. Never went with any of them, because I didn't live there.

Udon Thani is about an hour down the road from Khon Kaen, so I can promise you there's more than enough money boys there to satisfy your needs.

sglad
December 18th, 2018, 20:39
Our most favourite Bangkok based ex-pat is clearly very happy now he has sooo much time on his hands and this is reflected in his posts. All day, every day.

Unless Bangkok is a suburb of Sydney, I doubt very much that he's ever been to Thailand.

frequent
December 19th, 2018, 01:27
In your previous post you stated that Udon Thani has lots of moneyboys. Now you are confessing you were just guessing because of the size of the city and that you have absolutely no knowledge about the subject.I posted an Isaan trip report last May and mentioned the availability of boys on Grindr, so to that extent Matt is right. However there are no gay bars in Udon Thani and what you would do for company beats me. It's one of the reasons alcoholism is such a significant problem among ex-pats outside Bangkok - they just sit in their room and drink out of sheer boredom

Nirish guy
December 19th, 2018, 02:06
But there are plenty of str8 bars and clubs there. Indeed I once spent a very enjoyable night there at a str8 club that even though it was "str8" I wasn't stuck for gay company or fun if I had of wanted it, I guess if you want money boys on tap then no, it's not that - but like tends to be what you make of it and I'm a great believer in if you're handed lemons then just set then down, ignore them and get on with working on fucking every cute guy you find all around you instead ! :) Oh and when done remember to pick up your lemons and get your guy to make you a nice G&T to help finish your night off ! :)

frequent
December 19th, 2018, 02:49
But there are plenty of str8 bars and clubs there. Indeed I once spent a very enjoyable night there at a str8 club that even though it was "str8" I wasn't stuck for gay company or fun if I had of wanted it, I guess if you want money boys on tap then no, it's not that - but like tends to be what you make of it and I'm a great believer in if you're handed lemons then just set then down, ignore them and get on with working on fucking every cute guy you find all around you instead ! :) Oh and when done remember to pick up your lemons and get your guy to make you a nice G&T to help finish your night off ! :)Can you see yourself living there 24/7?

Nirish guy
December 19th, 2018, 03:15
Indeed no.

PS Matt as to your renting a second house / room somewhere so the locals dont see what you're doing / have an opinion about you - well as I've gone out of my way not to give a flying fuck what my neighbours here think of my actions ( or inactions more like these days) I sure as shit wouldn't give two fucks what a bunch of Thais who most likely already think just some easy / rich pickings guy / a cunt to be had simply because I'm a farang think about me or my life there. If they were nice to me I'd certainly be nice back but I also wouldn't be going around renting 2nd houses or rooms out in case I inadvertently offended them by bringing some consenting adult back to MY house - especially when half of them are fucking all round them too it seems.

cdnmatt
December 19th, 2018, 04:25
@NIrish -- If you're in a tourist area I could understand that, but I wasn't exactly living in a tourist area. These were decent sub-divions with families where the kids are always out on the streets playing, and watching everything that goes on. I can almost promise you if I started bringing a new hooker around every few days, the parents and grandparents wouldn't be very appreciative, not would anyone else. Then when I went to the shops to grab some daily supplies I would have probably just been completely ignored, as they pretened I'm not even there.

Up to you, but I prefer getting greeted with a smile, given the same respect I give them, never having to worry about them ripping me off, having them always around to go out of their way to help me out when needed, etc. That's much better.

And you're right, probably a good half of them seep around with others, but they take it to where it belongs. That's why there's curtain motels all over the place in Issan. People there have no problem with you having a few giks, as half of them have some giks too, but just keep it out of the residential / family neighborhoods. A little respect goes a long way up there.

Nirish guy
December 19th, 2018, 05:25
Whilst I fully understand your point I fear my view wouldn't change too much.

Re your " I would have probably just been completely ignored, as they pretended I'm not even there" - generally speaking that would suit me just fine as that's fairly much how I operate with my neighbours where I live, they are simply that, people who live around me, they are not my friends or peers - and re your "given the same respect I give them, never having to worry about them ripping me off" - I fear our levels of cynicism and general mistrust of people in general ( and Thai people even more so perhaps) are very different too it seems.

As I said I do understand your point and can see how living in a residential area it might pose a problem there ( which is probably why I never would) as it just wouldn't be my idea of living freely as "I" wanted too and having to "conform" to "what the neighbours thinks would most likely defeat the whole purpose of my ever moving there in the first place.

Screw the neighbours !

frequent
December 19th, 2018, 08:50
Indeed no.

PS Matt as to your renting a second house / room somewhere so the locals dont see what you're doing / have an opinion about you - well as I've gone out of my way not to give a flying fuck what my neighbours here think of my actions ( or inactions more like these days) I sure as shit wouldn't give two fucks what a bunch of Thais who most likely already think just some easy / rich pickings guy / a cunt to be had simply because I'm a farang think about me or my life there. If they were nice to me I'd certainly be nice back but I also wouldn't be going around renting 2nd houses or rooms out in case I inadvertently offended them by bringing some consenting adult back to MY house - especially when half of them are fucking all round them too it seems.I’ve always assumed Matt isn’t really gay, his attitudes are too suburban

cdnmatt
December 19th, 2018, 09:10
Oh, I'm about as gay as it gets. Just watch the litany of sex I have upon my arrival in Vientiane, lol.

Smiles
December 19th, 2018, 09:19
" ... I prefer getting greeted with a smile ... "
So what type of app or code-writing will let you know if someone is smiling at you?

frequent
December 19th, 2018, 09:24
Oh, I'm about as gay as it gets. Just watch the litany of sex I have upon my arrival in Vientiane, lol.I think we’re all with you there Matt

“Litany: a long list of unpleasant things” - Cambridge Dictionary

cdnmatt
December 19th, 2018, 10:40
So what type of app or code-writing will let you know if someone is smiling at you?

I wasn't always blind, dick.

frequent
December 19th, 2018, 11:25
So what type of app or code-writing will let you know if someone is smiling at you?No need for an App Smiles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351l62Yx0oI

bkkguy
December 19th, 2018, 18:17

what, you think the current batch of facial recognition AI software and libraries require Matt's fumbling at the keyboard before they are capable of decoding facial expressions?

or maybe Matt shouldn't have discarded his google glass or lapel mounted web cam so readily?

as Mae West used to say "Is that an image processing unit in your pocket or are just pleased that I'm smiling?"

bkkguy

christianpfc
December 22nd, 2018, 20:23
There are no gay bars in Udon Thani that I know of. About 5 years ago there was a gay bar and a gay disco (details in my blog), but those are gone. However, there is a gay sauna near UD Town.

@NIrish -- If you're in a tourist area I could understand that, but I wasn't exactly living in a tourist area. These were decent sub-divions with families where the kids are always out on the streets playing, and watching everything that goes on.
I wouldn't want to live somewhere where all my activities are watched by neighbors. That's one of the reasons why I didn't stay in Sribampen Apartment, which has the best value for money in the Soi, but a reception area that is always manned, and despite about 1000 people living in there, they probably know everything about everyone.