PDA

View Full Version : Learning the local language and an "intellectual debate"

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 07:16
In Arsenal's case the "ignore" function is complete bliss and I recommendI have a real life one for Bangkok called “don’t learn Thai”. Given the banal conversations I can hear in English around me together with the posts of the third-rate minds of some that lurk here (on my Ignore list) I’m confident I miss nothing of importance

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 10:18
I have a real life one for Bangkok called “don’t learn Thai”. Given the banal conversations I can hear in English around me together with the posts of the third-rate minds of some that lurk here (on my Ignore list) I’m confident I miss nothing of importance

Or maybe you don't know everything under the sun like you seem to think you do. Who knows, maybe if you opened your eyes a little more you may learn a thing or two.

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 10:26
Or maybe you don't know everything under the sun like you seem to think you do. Who knows, maybe if you opened your eyes a little more you may learn a thing or two.Remind me - aren’t you the person who consistently “knows better” for every piece of advice anyone has ever offered you on this Forum?

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 10:30
Remind me - aren’t you the person who consistently “knows better” for every piece of advice anyone has ever offered you on this Forum?

Well, at least I listen. It's not my fault many of you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, lol. :)

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 10:36
Well, at least I listen. It's not my fault many of you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, lol. :)Wrong - you hear, you don’t listen

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 10:38
Well, then at least I hear. You just try talking over everyone.

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 11:28
Well, then at least I hear. You just try talking over everyone.But not in Thai

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 11:34
Yes, sometimes I will talk in Thai, because unlike you, I didn't isolate myself in a farang ghetto that consists of a 3 block radius.

That's only what really intelligent folk like yourself do, I guess.

francois
December 2nd, 2018, 11:44
Seems like all you gentlemen are talking shit!:devilsh: Isn't that the topic of this post, sort of ?

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 11:56
Yes, sometimes I will talk in Thai, because unlike you, I didn't isolate myself in a farang ghetto that consists of a 3 block radius. That's only what really intelligent folk like yourself do, I guess.Actually you inhabit an Anglophone ghetto, you just fail to recognise it as such - it's called the Internet

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 12:26
Actually you inhabit an Anglophone ghetto, you just fail to recognise it as such - it's called the Internet

You're not very good at come backs, sir.

I'm pretty sure I'm better at this than you. Or did you maybe want to try again?

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 12:36
Or did you maybe want to try again?No, I'm pretty much filled my quota of dealing with third-rate minds for today

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 14:00
No, I'm pretty much filled my quota of dealing with third-rate minds for today

Excuse me, but you're the one who started a thread about Squatty Potty, and now you're just too god damn intellectual to talk to us mere plebs? Is that right?

Well, let's get into something more interesting than your original topic starter of how we position ourselves when we take a shit.

What's your take on string theory or the various theories out there regarding paralell universies? Or if you want something more recent, the war in Yemen and the cholera outbreak there seem to be making the rounds in the news, eh? Or how about the 85 investigations Democrats plan to open Jan 20th once they take control of the house again? That should make for quite a shit show, don't you think?

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 14:22
I don’t think of you as a pleb Matt. Look at your life.

You followed your first “husband” to some European hell-hole where you settled down with him, followed the immigration laws, paid taxes and of course learned the local language

Then you arrived in Thailand where you settled down, followed the immigration laws, paid taxes, met “husband” number two (without divorcing #1) and of course learned the local language

Having been so so unjustly thrown out of Thailand you’re going to Laos to settle down with “husband” #3, where you will follow the immigration laws, pay taxes and of course learn the local language

So what’s that? Four languages so far? And all those taxes you contribute. So admirable

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 14:32
Now you're just not making any sense. Lay off the drugs, freaqy.

frequent
December 2nd, 2018, 14:54
Now you're just not making any sense. Lay off the drugs, freaqy.Which section is untrue? You’re surely not going to shatter my illusions? You haven’t learned the local language everywhere you have lived? You don’t pay taxes?

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 15:47
What are you talking about? I learned all the Hungarian I needed.... "nem baesalik madjrahoul" = "I don't speak Hungarian". Good enough.

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 16:05
Ok, then since you are oh so more intelligent than the rest of us, can you please transcribe the Thai version of "I don't speak Thai"?

Nirish guy
December 2nd, 2018, 17:51
@NIrish and @arsenal -- Would you two love birds get a room already? :)

@CDNMatt and @Freekyl -- Would you two love birds get a room already? ( touché Matt :) )

scottish-guy
December 2nd, 2018, 18:09
It's heartening to see that the imaginary sex couplings of Nirish & Arsenal and Matt & Frequent continue the great Thailand sex tourism tradition of one partner being on average 30 years older than the other.

:p

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 18:28
30 years? I don't know if that's much of a tradition, as that would mean I need to have sex with a 7 year old, and gotta admit, that type of thing doesn't really fancy me.

On the other hand, a cute 22 year old gay guy can sit on my face any time.

scottish-guy
December 2nd, 2018, 18:40
Well I did say "on average" and I wouldn't necessarily put you in the "sex tourist" bracket, buy hey - if the cap fits....

Actually, I was alluding to both you and NIrish being "on average" 30yrs younger than your suggested partners.

Maybe I'm too subtle.

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2018, 18:41
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was just being a smart ass.

Where the hell did freaqy go? Come on freqy, freqy, let's have an intellectural debate if you want one. Pick a topic.

scottish-guy
December 2nd, 2018, 18:43
...I was just being a smart ass.

You'll be glad to know you succeeded !

:D

Nirish guy
December 2nd, 2018, 22:34
Come on freqy, freqy, let's have an intellectural debate if you want one.

Hang on, wait ! I want to go and get some popcorn made for the big match off - but don't worry I won't be long as I'm guessing a small bowl of the stuff will be all that's required ! :-)

gerefan2
December 2nd, 2018, 23:18
It's heartening to see that the imaginary sex couplings of Nirish & Arsenal and Matt & Frequent continue the great Thailand sex tourism tradition of one partner being on average 30 years older than the other.

:p

Ha, I wish. You can add 50 % to that figure...

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 02:39
Ok, then since you are oh so more intelligent than the rest of us, can you please transcribe the Thai version of "I don't speak Thai"?How is learning Lao going? Have you started that already, or you'll wait until you're settled in Vientiane?

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 03:04
Nice deflection. Seriously, you don't know how to say "I don't speak Thai" in Thai, but yet you live there? What happened to this great intellect of yours?

And I don't need to learn how to speak Laos. They all know Thai. From the time they're babies, they watch Thai cartoons and TV, read Thai books, play Thai video games, etc. I'll learn a few more Laos phrases than I already know, not because I want to speak Laos, but just so everyone knows I'm not just some tourist, nor am I an idiot who has isolted himself in a farang ghetto, hence I'm much less likely to be taken advantage of.

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 03:13
BTW... if you want to know, it's "puut pasa Thai mai dai kap" to say "I don't speak Thai".

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 03:23
And I don't need to learn how to speak Laos. They all know Thai. From the time they're babies, they watch Thai cartoons and TV, read Thai books, play Thai video games, etc. I'll learn a few more Laos phrases than I already know, not because I want to speak Laos, but just so everyone knows I'm not just some tourist, nor am I an idiot who has isolted himself in a farang ghetto, hence I'm much less likely to be taken advantage of.What utter hypocrisy. You’re going to expect the people among whom you live to use a foreign language when they converse with you, but you believe that I am wrong because I do precisely the same thing

By the way in Laos they are Lao people and speak Lao. They do not speak “Laos”

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 03:28
They all speak Thai just as well as they speak Lao. Communication with locals will be just fine.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 04:07
They all speak Thai just as well as they speak Lao. Communication with locals will be just fine.As I say, utter hypocrisy. Exactly the same argument can increasingly be used about urban Thais yet you keep insisting that ex-pats should use Thai so as to "fit in"

In my local coffee shop, once I've placed my food order, they give me a number on a stand. The number they give me is always "1", to signify my rightful place in the natural order. It is a lesson you would do well to learn

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 04:35
Ok, then keep your communication limited to coffee shop barristas, store clerks, waitresses, and money boys. If that makes you happy, go for it.

Or you could just learn the language, and talk with ordinary folk who are just living their day-to-day lives, and enrich yourself. Up to you.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 04:44
Ok, then keep your communication limited to coffee shop barristas, store clerks, waitresses, and money boys. If that makes you happy, go for it.

Or you could just learn the language, and talk with ordinary folk who are just living their day-to-day lives, and enrich yourself. Up to you."Ordinary folk" have no interest for me. Let's face it, there's no-one more ordinary than you, and you can't even work out that through a series of posts I'm leading you to admit your own hypocrisy. As for striking up a conversation with a money boy, I usually pre-empt such a thing by sticking my cock in his mouth. He's already struck up a dialogue about price with me in English before we get that far

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 04:48
No, I'm pretty sure I have the upper hand on this one.

What a sad life you must lead, if you do indeed live in Bangkok. Can't even leave the confines of your little farang ghetto, because if you did, you'd be totally lost. Whereas at least with me, you could drop me off in any small Thai village, and I'd be able to find my way around no problem, and I'm blind.

I thought being blind was quite isolating, but the life you made for yourself must be really isolating.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 04:52
I thought being blind was quite isolating, but the life you made for yourself must be really isolating.You'll never know until you try it. I note you've never lived in Bangkok nor, with the exception of the Immigration prison, have even been there recently so your knowledge of what life "must" be like is non-existent. And before you suggest I've never been outside Bangkok I suggest you re-read my Isaan post from May last year - https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?18598

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 05:06
You made a tourist trip to Issan. Good for you, buddy! Keep up the good work.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 05:09
You made a tourist trip to Issan. Good for you, buddy! Keep up the good work.With some Thais. English was spoken between us for the entire trip

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 07:46
... let's have an intellectural debate if you want one. Pick a topic.Certainly - an “intellectural” debate is always interesting. Here’s a topic for you - “Those who live and carry out work in a particular location have a moral imperative to pay income tax there”. Perhaps you could illustrate with examples of your own income tax paying experiences across 3 continents

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 07:59
Technically, I don't owe any taxes at the moment. I guess the Canadian government can come after me for the 2018 tax year, but that's about it. Revenue Canada can only come after you for taxes for the last 10 years, and since 2005 I've only lived in Canada for one year -- 2008 in Vancouver. So I'm scott free when it comes to the Canadian government.

In Europe I was on tourist VISAs the entire time, and tourists aren't legally obligated to pay taxes. Then in Thailand I was an illegal immigrant, and they black listed me for 5 years, so pretty sure they're not expecting any tax money out of me either.

I might have to pay Revenue Canada for 2018, because I've been in Canada majority of the year hence am considered a resident now, but that's about it.

What's your stance on paralell universes? There's quite a few theories floating around, but I'm going for the multiverse theory personally. Our universe is just one of many, and each universe is just floating around out there in its own circular bubble.

How long do you think it will be before quantum computing is available to the mainstream public? That's really going to fuck up things like online security, eh? All the encryption algorithims we currently rely on will be useless. AES, RSA, DSA, ECDH, SHA, PGP, all out the window.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 08:09
Technically, I don't owe any taxes at the moment. I guess the Canadian government can come after me for the 2018 tax year, but that's about it. Revenue Canada can only come after you for taxes for the last 10 years, and since 2005 I've only lived in Canada for one year -- 2008 in Vancouver. So I'm scott free when it comes to the Canadian government.

In Europe I was on tourist VISAs the entire time, and tourists aren't legally obligated to pay taxes. Then in Thailand I was an illegal immigrant, and they black listed me for 5 years, so pretty sure they're not expecting any tax money out of me either.

I might have to pay Revenue Canada for 2018, because I've been in Canada majority of the year hence am considered a resident now, but that's about it.

What's your stance on paralell universes? There's quite a few theories floating around, but I'm going for the multiverse theory personally. Our universe is just one of many, and each universe is just floating around out there in its own circular bubble.

How long do you think it will be before quantum computing is available to the mainstream public? That's really going to fuck up things like online security, eh? All the encryption algorithims we currently rely on will be useless. AES, RSA, DSA, ECDH, SHA, PGP, all out the window.So as I’ve said all along, not only don’t you believe the Immigration laws should apply to you, you don’t believe the tax laws should either. Legal immigration status has nothing to do with taxpayer status by the way. You really are the Entitled Millennial I’ve said you were all along - and a third-rate mind to boot. As for “when” something mighty happen in the future that is speculation and as a Buddhist yourself you will recall that that is something the Buddha counselled against. You are still claiming the superiority of Buddhism?

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 08:19
I would have happily paid taxes in Thailand in exchange for a VISA. It's not my fault their immigration laws are outdated.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 08:34
I would have happily paid taxes in Thailand in exchange for a VISA. It's not my fault their immigration laws are outdated.Of course not, you’re merely an Entitled Millennial who believes you know best how a foreign country should frame its laws. It gives you a nice get out from answering the question about moral imperatives too since you are clearly a moral vacuum

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 08:53
Answer my questions about paralell universes and quantum computing first, and I'll answer your question.

frequent
December 3rd, 2018, 09:21
Answer my questions about paralell universes and quantum computing first, and I'll answer your question.I haven't asked a question that now requires an answer; you have already supplied it and I have come to the inevitable conclusion - see my previous post. As I said, you did not ask a question about parallel universes and quantum computing; you invited me to indulge in speculation and a true Buddhist would not do such a thing - https://www.thoughtco.com/buddhism-and-metaphysics-450059

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 09:35
Ok, fine, then I will ask an actual question. Hopefully you can give me an answer to this one at least.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 09:49
Takes one to know one. :)

Smiles
December 3rd, 2018, 10:48
" ... Takes one to know one ... "Congratulations Matty. You've just managed to actually put to use one of the most sophomoric and puerile cliches in the english language. And then ... to add a smiley of all things, you obviously don't know that Smileys are cliches also.

(Just wondering, but how does a blind dude pick just the right smiley? Perhaps you throw darts?)

I doubt you'll be able to top this one ... so to speak.

gerefan2
December 3rd, 2018, 18:03
Nice one smiles!

I have often asked him how his sophisticated, blind, typing computer programme can possibly make spelling mistakes, but it got me nowhere...

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 18:07
Nice one smiles!

I have often asked him how his sophisticated, blind, typing computer programme can possibly make spelling mistakes, but it got me nowhere...

Because I've already explained this to you idiots about 728 times, and it doesn't seem to sink in.

I use a keyboard, same as you do. Only difference is, instead of looking at the screen, I have a pair of headphones on and the Orca screen reader installed that says every letter I type.
Notice the little bumps on the F and J keys of your keyboard? They're there for a reason -- for blind people such as myself.

bkkguy
December 3rd, 2018, 18:46
I didn't isolate myself in a farang ghetto that consists of a 3 block radius.

Actually you inhabit an Anglophone ghetto, you just fail to recognise it as such - it's called the Internet

I thought it was called Canada

BTW... if you want to know, it's "puut pasa Thai mai dai kap" to say "I don't speak Thai".

พูดไม่ได้ ฟังไม่ได้ ไม่เข้าใจเลย always gets a good laugh

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 18:48
I can't read Thai anymore, so no idea what that says. All I get is, "Thai latter b047 Thai ltter b32 Thai letter b18", and so on. Means nothing to me.

bkkguy
December 3rd, 2018, 19:05
puut mai dai fung mai dai mai kao jai loey (transiteration systems suck)
can't speak, can't understand when spoken, don't understand at all

it gets a good response when you have just silently been listening to a Thai conversation that they then think you have understood!

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 19:12
That sentence makes no sense at all. Go say it in the streets, and I bet you get a "deer in the headlights" stare.
b

bkkguy
December 3rd, 2018, 19:16
there is also a Thai idiom "snake snake fish fish" (ngu ngu, plaa plaa) which literally translates as "a little bit", should also get a good laugh as you seem to know idiomatic Thia, but my "ngu" pronunciation sucks so it usually fails!

bkkguy

bkkguy
December 3rd, 2018, 19:18
That sentence makes no sense at all. Go say it in the streets, and I bet you get a "deer in the headlights" stare.
b

I have used it frequently and never got a "deer in the headlights" stare, always a response that I must know Thai

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 19:20
I don't know what the hell "fung" means, but the sentence basically translates into, "I can not speak fund I can not".

Again, I don't know what "fung" is.

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 19:29
Thinking about it, there isn't even a F sounding character in the Thai alphabet, so not sure where you got that sentence from.

bkkguy
December 3rd, 2018, 19:39
I don't know what the hell "fung" means, but the sentence basically translates into, "I can not speak fund I can not".

Again, I don't know what "fung" is.

if you don't know what ฟัง (fung or fang or transliterate it as you please) means then you are missing the whole point - while you may give it a "deer in the headlights" stare most Thai people don't and I am usually saying it to Thai people rather than Canadians

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 19:42
Ok, then what does "fung" mean?

You're saying "can not" twice in the same sentence, so at the very least it's a double negative. If people aren't looking like you as an idiot when you say that, then they're just being polite and respectful.

bkkguy
December 3rd, 2018, 19:52
Thinking about it, there isn't even a F sounding character in the Thai alphabet

what is the thai word for tooth, dream or boyfriend?

and here was I thinking this thread was 'Learning the local language and an "intellectual debate" '

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2018, 19:59
Oh right, "fan", just different tones. Sorry, my bad. It's been a while for me.

Still don't know what the hell "fung" means.

bkkguy
December 4th, 2018, 20:19
Oh right, "fan", just different tones

ฟ (ฟ ฟัน - fo fan) is a consonant in the Thai alphabet and while it may modify the tone of a syllable it can't conveniently be dismissed as "just different tones" after claiming there is "no F sounding character in the Thai alphabet"

but a quick joke before I leave you to the delights of your "deer in the headlights" Thai discussions about not speaking Thai or dreaming about trips to the dentist with your various Canadian and Lao friends:

Q: What do you call a person that speaks three languages?
A: Tri-lingual

Q: What do you call a person that speaks two languages?
A: Bi-lingual

Q: What do you call a person that speaks one language
A: Canadian

though to be fair this is often also said about Brits and Aussies

bkkguy

sglad
December 4th, 2018, 23:21
Thinking about it, there isn't even a F sounding character in the Thai alphabet, so not sure where you got that sentence from.

You don't even have to think about it. Anyone who's been to Thailand or at least watched Thai movies would have heard of the following VERY common and FREQUENTLY used Thai words that begin with an F-sounding consonant of which there are two in Thai, ฝ and ฟ.

The word for rain: ฝน fŏn

The word for raining: ฝนตก fŏn dtòk

The word for fire, light or flame: ไฟ fai

The word for lighter: ไฟแช็ก fai-cháek

You don't even have to be a Thai speaker to know these words. And as a regular smoker, you would certainly know ไฟแช็ก fai-cháek. You even started a thread about the price of cigarettes

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?19159-Why-did-cigarettes-get-25-cheaper&highlight=cigarettes

where you got all your facts wrong, again. Sometimes you need to actually have lived the experience to write about it.

cdnmatt
December 4th, 2018, 23:52
Yes, yes, I made a mistake.

"fon dtok" = heavy rain
farn = boyfriend / girlfriend
"mii fan dii kap" = sweet dreams, basically.

And so on. I guess I've just been blind too long, and can't remember what the F sounding Thai character looks like anymore.

Actually, thinking, I think I remember now. Starting at the bottom in the middle, it's a slight vertical curve, followed by a horizontal line across with a small downwards curve in the middle. I can't remember, but is that right?

gerefan2
December 5th, 2018, 01:27
I guess I've just been blind too long, and can't remember what the F sounding Thai character looks like anymore.

?

Is that F...as in Fake?

neddy3
December 5th, 2018, 14:42
Yes, yes, I made a mistake.

"fon dtok" = heavy rain
farn = boyfriend / girlfriend
"mii fan dii kap" = sweet dreams, basically.

And so on. I guess I've just been blind too long, and can't remember what the F sounding Thai character looks like anymore.

Actually, thinking, I think I remember now. Starting at the bottom in the middle, it's a slight vertical curve, followed by a horizontal line across with a small downwards curve in the middle. I can't remember, but is that right?

No

frequent
December 6th, 2018, 08:06
NoSurely cdnmatt remembers how to play Scrabble in Thai?

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2018, 11:54
No

Oh shit, right, I was thinking of "roh rua", the R / L sounding character.

Oh, I think I remember. It's one of the 4 W shaped characters, but the right most line is really long. Is that right? I don't know, I can't remember, as I haven't seen any of the Thai alphabet in over 2 years.
n

christianpfc
December 6th, 2018, 17:35
I have a real life one for Bangkok called “don’t learn Thai”. Given the banal conversations I can hear in English around me together with the posts of the third-rate minds of some that lurk here (on my Ignore list) I’m confident I miss nothing of importance
For me, being able to read the local language (more important than speaking and listening) is crucial when I spend long time somewhere.

Then you arrived in Thailand where you settled down, followed the immigration laws, paid taxes, met “husband” number two (without divorcing #1) and of course learned the local language.
He (cndmatt) did not follow the immigration laws.

What utter hypocrisy. You’re going to expect the people among whom you live to use a foreign language when they converse with you, but you believe that I am wrong because I do precisely the same thing

By the way in Laos they are Lao people and speak Lao. They do not speak “Laos”
I think Thai and Lao are mutually intelligible in spoken form. In written form, there are differences, but as I can understand a bit of written Lao when I make an effort, I assume a native speaker can even better.

Or you could just learn the language, and talk with ordinary folk who are just living their day-to-day lives, and enrich yourself. Up to you.
I did learn Thai to be able to use buses and taxis, buy things at local market, deal with restaurant and hotel staff, and most importantly do meet gay boys who speak no English.

bkkguy
December 6th, 2018, 19:39
Is that F...as in Fake?

as I am sure cdnmatt is about to point out there is no F sounding consonant in English either - you just change the tone on the PH consonant cluster, which is why so many English speakers have such a problem booking air tickets and accommodation in Phuket (but if you are a BBC fan keeping up appearances that does not rhyme with bucket - it is pronounced fouquet!)

bkkguy

frequent
December 7th, 2018, 05:20
He (cndmatt) did not follow the immigration laws.Encapsulated in a single response is the reason why written language doesn't always convey the sense of what was written. I know cdnmatt did not follow the Immigration laws (or pay income tax); my comment was entirely ironic
I did learn Thai to be able to use buses and taxis, buy things at local market, deal with restaurant and hotel staff, and most importantly do meet gay boys who speak no English.I don't go to the local market, I've never had a problem with restaurant or hotel (or for that matter supermarket) staff in the last few years, I don't bother with boys who won't speak English, I've never had a problem with a taxi driver in the past few years

Three caveats:

I recently had a dialogue in English via Grindr with a Vietnamese massage boy and, while sceptical of Vietnamese massage boys generally, I invited him over. The conduct of the entire conversation while we were in my condo was fascinating. He spoke into his phone in Vietnamese and showed me what he had just said in English via Google Translate. Clearly he had done the same during our Grindr dialogue. The massage and the sex was awful too
My last Thai conversation with a taxi driver was twenty years ago, with me making some utterly banal comments in Thai, and him following up by showing me his proficiency in English: "You - big fat pig". Fortunately I was sufficiently aware culturally that "pig" does not have the same connotations as those if spoken by a native English speaker, and "fat" is actually a compliment because it implies wealth. It was, however, a conversation stopper (after I had finished laughing)
The last time I took an AOT limo from Swampy the driver asked (in Thai) if I minded him playing Isaan music. I replied I had Isaani friends. That led to the information that he came from between Roi Et and Buriram (or so I inferred from the few Thai words I understood). That was the end of the conversation. Noblesse oblige

None of that means I have any interest in conversing in Thai. As I say, most English conversations (like most posts here) are sufficiently banal for me to know it won't be worth the effort

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2018, 07:59
Well, if you taught yourself Thai, you could leave the farang ghetto once in a while. That would be cool, don't you think?

frequent
December 7th, 2018, 08:41
Well, if you taught yourself Thai, you could leave the farang ghetto once in a while. That would be cool, don't you think?Your unparalleled understanding of “banal” is amazing

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2018, 09:58
You don't need to talk about terraforming Mars to learn something new.

frequent
December 7th, 2018, 10:52
You don't need to talk about terraforming Mars to learn something new.As is quite evident, you certainly don't

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2018, 14:26
Just trying to point out, if you actually listen to the "banal" conversations around you, that you may learn something new from time to time.

Or continue wandering around life belittling everyone because you think you know more than them. That works too.

gerefan2
December 7th, 2018, 20:58
most English conversations (like most posts here) are sufficiently banal for me to know it won't be worth the effort.

Another great example of your floccinaucinihilipilification. Why stay?

arsenal
December 7th, 2018, 21:19
That's a little unkind Gerefan2. Mr Frequent reminds us of the illegality of prostitution in Thailand and is therefore worth exactly the cost of membership here.

frequent
December 8th, 2018, 02:54
Just trying to point out, if you actually listen to the "banal" conversations around you, that you may learn something new from time to time.I've assessed the cost-benefit of such a course of action and decided the actual costs far outweigh any potential benefits. If I wanted to undertake such a foolish course of action I'd start by taking a number of posters here off my Ignore list

frequent
December 8th, 2018, 03:10
Why stay?Who else here has been able to give you practical advice about your Will? https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20246-Will

How's that going by the way? Any closer to being triggered?

gerefan2
December 8th, 2018, 08:02
How's that going by the way? Any closer to being triggered?

Wishful thinking Freak. I intend to live forever...so far so good!

frequent
December 8th, 2018, 14:18
If you're interested in knowing what "real" Thais think about their fellow Thais, this article in Khaosod may be of interest. Essentially real Thais' behaviour involves "lying, smiling and avoiding conflict". Casual conversations between a foreigner and a Thai, in Thai, are unlikely to penetrate such "Thainess"

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/12/08/opinion-honest-learning-from-strangers-in-the-next-table/

frequent
December 11th, 2018, 03:28
I visited a friend's condo yesterday where, for some inexplicable reason"Judge Judy" was on view. My beliefs about the banality of everyday conversation were reinforced. Imagine it in Thai

cdnmatt
December 11th, 2018, 04:27
There's a chance that might be because Judge Judy is bat-shit insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeK-t3o_xu8

I think that's the same lady, right? I don't know, I only found out about this Janine Piro lady on FOX News after I went blind, but I'm pretty sure they're the same person, right?

He's crazy.

frequent
December 11th, 2018, 06:40
There's a chance that might be because Judge Judy is bat-shit insane.It's not the Judge who's insane (if you want insane try Jim Cramer on the NBC money channel) - it's the fuckwits who appear before her. Oh sorry, the ordinary folk who if I listen long enough might drop a pearl of wisdom I could use

Nirish guy
December 11th, 2018, 07:08
It's not the Judge who's insane........- it's the fuckwits who appear before her.

Yeah, that would be bat shit crazy Judge Judy who is estimated to have a net worth of around $400 million and earns around $47 MILLION dollars a year in salary from her shows and in 2017 sold the rights to her shows for just over 100 million dollars ! Yep, mad as a box of frogs that woman !

Oh and just in case people aren't aware the people who appear also get paid too plus "whatever" cash award judgement she hands down to either party. whether they be at fault or not also gets paid in full by the TV company. So I guess if you DID have some ( usually frivolous) outstanding claim against a friend or family member and you both fancied a day out and "being famous for a day for being on TV" then I guess there's worse ways of getting your case resolved free of charge .......if that's your cup of tea of course - but bat shit crazy " Judge Judy" ( who was a real judge btw) is NOT.

PS the reason I know - it was one of my dad's fav programmes as he loved the shit she gave people who dared to answer her back in the wrong tone.

frequent
December 11th, 2018, 09:09
Yeah, that would be bat shit crazy Judge Judy who is estimated to have a net worth of around $400 million and earns around $47 MILLION dollars a year in salary from her shows and in 2017 sold the rights to her shows for just over 100 million dollars ! Yep, mad as a box of frogs that woman ! I guess if you propose that wealth = personal value that's a reasonable comment. In my view it leads straight to Donald Trump

Nirish guy
December 11th, 2018, 14:42
That’s on the aaaumption that he is / was “rich” I guess. That as I’m sure you know is a matter of great debate still as to whether he is genuinely rich or it’s all smoke and mirrors of course. Although now that he’s Pres I’m sure he’ll never have to worry about making money again.

frequent
December 11th, 2018, 16:19
That’s on the aaaumption that he is / was “rich” I guess. That as I’m sure you know is a matter of great debate still as to whether he is genuinely rich or it’s all smoke and mirrors of course. Although now that he’s Pres I’m sure he’ll never have to worry about making money again.The quantum of anyone's wealth is irrelevant - it's whether wealth in any degree is a measure of someone's value. Trump clearly believes it is. So apparently do you

gerefan2
December 11th, 2018, 21:48
I visited a friend's condo yesterday where, for some inexplicable reason"Judge Judy" was on view. My beliefs about the banality of everyday conversation were reinforced.

So let’s see if I understand you correctly. You abhor banality?

But you post here everyday? On a board that deals mainly with cheap Thai prostitutes, or where to get 110 baht fried English breakfast? Only the other day someone even posted how to cook it...complete with a picture!

So just how do you satisfy your lust for far reaching, creative,intelligent conversation here?

And please don’t bring up my will again!

frequent
December 12th, 2018, 01:45
So let’s see if I understand you correctly. You abhor banality?

But you post here everyday? On a board that deals mainly with cheap Thai prostitutes, or where to get 110 baht fried English breakfast? Only the other day someone even posted how to cook it...complete with a picture!

So just how do you satisfy your lust for far reaching, creative,intelligent conversation here? Noblesse oblige

gerefan2
December 12th, 2018, 04:59
Isn’t Google wonderful.

frequent
December 12th, 2018, 05:03
Isn’t Google wonderful.
Indeed - it’s wonderful what Google turns up if you google “gerefan2”

christianpfc
December 12th, 2018, 20:44
I don't go to the local market, I've never had a problem with restaurant or hotel (or for that matter supermarket) staff in the last few years, I don't bother with boys who won't speak English, I've never had a problem with a taxi driver in the past few years

We lead different lifestyles. In my lifestyle, being able to converse in Thai is absolutely necessary. Else there would be huge delays (finding an English-speaking Thai to translate) and aggravation for me. Nowadays, most of the boys I have sex with don't speak English.

frequent
December 13th, 2018, 03:51
We lead different lifestyles. In my lifestyle, being able to converse in Thai is absolutely necessary. Else there would be huge delays (finding an English-speaking Thai to translate) and aggravation for me. Nowadays, most of the boys I have sex with don't speak English.Based on your blog we'd have to assume that's the "Cheap Charlie" lifestyle

dinagam
December 13th, 2018, 07:35
I would categorise it as a sensible and scientifically frugal lifestyle.

bkkguy
December 13th, 2018, 18:39
Nowadays, most of the boys I have sex with don't speak English.

Based on your blog we'd have to assume that's the "Cheap Charlie" lifestyle

actually based on his blog I would say it is more like "most of the boys I EVENTUALLY GET TO have sex with don't speak English"

the English language app/msg chats he has always seem to be such a waste a time and never lead anywhere - though I don't know that the Thai language chats are that much more productive based on the monthly activity summaries!

bkkguy

frequent
December 13th, 2018, 22:54
actually based on his blog I would say it is more like "most of the boys I EVENTUALLY GET TO have sex with don't speak English"

the English language app/msg chats he has always seem to be such a waste a time and never lead anywhere - though I don't know that the Thai language chats are that much more productive based on the monthly activity summaries
I regard it as tales of epic failure

cdnmatt
December 13th, 2018, 23:18
I don't get it frequent, don't you enjoy learning about other people, their background, their aspirations, what makes them tick, etc.?

Over the last few months, I've gotten to know all about Kong, and I enjoy getting to know people like that and learning from their personal experiences. I know all about his family, childhood, ambitions, likes / dislikes, what makes him happy and sad, about his boyfriend, etc. Doesn't that type of thing interest you, or are you just happy being as big of a narccasist (sp) as Trump?

gerefan2
December 14th, 2018, 00:22
Over the last few months, I've gotten to know all about Kong, and I enjoy getting to know people like that and learning from their personal experiences. I know all about his family, childhood, ambitions, likes / dislikes, what makes him happy and sad, about his boyfriend, etc. Doesn't that type of thing interest you, or are you just happy being as big of a narccasist (sp) as Trump?

Perhaps frequent isn’t such a Nosy Parker...well perhaps.

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2018, 01:00
Or maybe frequent has forgotten what it's like to have a friend. Could be that too.

frequent
December 14th, 2018, 01:47
I don't get it frequent, don't you enjoy learning about other people, their background, their aspirations, what makes them tick, etc.?Yes Matt and I believe, despite never having met you, I have a very good idea about you - your background, your aspirations, what makes you tick. However the pathology of you is fascinating - I'd have to say it conforms so closely with what we know about the Entitled Millennial - whereas I've no interest except as an appalled bystander with the sort of human dross that, for example, passes through Judge Judy's court. Not everyone is as fascinating as me or you - or, more precisely, few people are as fascinating as me or even you. There are occasional flashes of unexpected humour from the little people - christian's recent admission on his blog that he's only just realised, after several years of lengthy visits to Thailand, that Thai boys don't like guys who have beards (so he shaved his off) is a recent favourite
Perhaps frequent isn’t such a Nosy Parker...well perhaps.How's the research going on posts by gerefan2 on Google?

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2018, 03:32
I still don't understand where you get this entitled millenial bullshit from.

I started my first company when I was 17, although it was rather amateur company. Then I busted my ass landscaping for a couple years working 90 hour weeks of labor, before going on to start my first actual professional company when I was 20. I've worked my ass off most of my life, just as I continue to do now, thank you.

frequent
December 14th, 2018, 04:34
I still don't understand where you get this entitled millenial bullshit from.

I started my first company when I was 17, although it was rather amateur company. Then I busted my ass landscaping for a couple years working 90 hour weeks of labor, before going on to start my first actual professional company when I was 20. I've worked my ass off most of my life, just as I continue to do now, thank you.Excellent news but I wonder what you make of my Jane Austen quotation whenever I reproduce it? Or does it just pass through your mind not understood because it represents an attitude to life completely beyond your comprehension: "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.” If you fail to understand that that is my default position on almost everything that happens on SGT then you are in a sorry state. I struggle to take myself seriously; I'm baffled when other people do

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2018, 09:02
So in other words, you're just some old dude who has given up on life, and has accepted his failures?

frequent
December 14th, 2018, 09:20
So in other words, you're just some old dude who has given up on life, and has accepted his failures?I'm heading off now to slash my wrists. Although I suppose I could take heart from that other old dude Albert Einstein who is recorded as saying “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know”

frequent
December 14th, 2018, 11:30
So in other words, you're just some old dude who has given up on life, and has accepted his failures?Here you are Matt, something that should appeal to your love of the British sense of self-deprecatory humour - New York Times London crime Twitter appeal backfires http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46557035

One of the comments reminds me of something that happened to me in Sydney Airport a few weeks ago. I was on a moving travelator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_walkway) and an Asian youth - early twenties I'm guessing - with his parents was on another travelator coming towards me. For some reason he decided at that point to remove his pullover and his t-shirt rode up, exposing his torso (but not his nipples). When he saw me looking with interest he glared. In response I licked my lips

francois
December 15th, 2018, 15:07
. For some reason he decided at that point to remove his pullover and his t-shirt rode up, exposing his torso (but not his nipples). When he saw me looking with interest he glared. In response I licked my lips

Ergo, you are just another dirty old man, like all of us.:yahoo_mini:

frequent
December 16th, 2018, 03:02
Ergo, you are just another dirty old man, like all of us.:yahoo_mini:I hadn’t realized that was ever open to doubt

Smiles
December 16th, 2018, 08:36
I was just being a smart ass.Shirley you didn't squeeze the word "smart" in there all by yourself. Someone did that for you, right?
I'd stick with "just being an ass" if I were you.

frequent
December 16th, 2018, 08:42
Shirley you didn't squeeze the word "smart" in there all by yourself. Someone did that for you, right?
I'd stick with "just being an ass" if I were you.I'd have to say I was perplexed since, by his own admission, Matt's sex live excludes all "ass" play

cdnmatt
December 16th, 2018, 08:50
No, no, I absolutely love asses. Without question, I'm an ass guy. I just don't really care for anal sex, that's all.

frequent
December 16th, 2018, 09:45
No, no, I absolutely love asses. Without question, I'm an ass guy. I just don't really care for anal sex, that's all. :bo:

frequent
December 24th, 2018, 03:54
Why cavorting with the Thai peasantry may be bad for your mental health https://www.inc.com/mithu-storoni/the-extraordinary-reason-exceptional-people-avoid-mediocre-friends-they-rewire-y.html

bkkguy
December 24th, 2018, 14:59
Without question, I'm an ass guy

absolutely, I don't think anyone was questioning your status as an ass

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 24th, 2018, 15:21
You do know you don't have to sign every one of your posts with "bkkguy", right? When you make a post, the rest of us can see it was made by you.

frequent
December 24th, 2018, 15:45
You do know you don't have to sign every one of your posts with "bkkguy", right? When you make a post, the rest of us can see it was made by you.Surfcrest does the same. I assume it's some sort of nervous tic

cdnmatt
December 24th, 2018, 16:17
I can understand doing it in e-mails, because that's just polite, corial, and respectful. However, on a forum like SGT, not really necessary.

Best regards,
cdnmatt

gerefan2
December 24th, 2018, 16:24
You do know you don't have to sign every one of your posts with "bkkguy", right? When you make a post, the rest of us can see it was made by you.

Ha yes , the REST of,us can SEE...

cdnmatt
December 24th, 2018, 16:45
Your petty little jabs at me are getting pretty boring. Like it or not, I'm actually blind. Have been for about 27 months now.

Grow up.

Kind regards,
cdnmatt