PDA

View Full Version : Review: Monty's Enchanted Hut

July 31st, 2006, 12:32
To be perfectly fair to you, the reader, I should tell you that I am staying at Monty's B&B. I have met Monty, and I think he is a very nice and hospitable guy. I should also tell you that he told me to be honest in my review, and so that it what i will be, honest, keeping in mind of course the following is just my humble opinion.

I have a Thai friend who works at a straight hotel in Jomtien, and since I had never been to Jomtien plaza, we decided to go look around. While most of the places were completely empty (it was about 8:00) there was one place with signs of life, and it happened to be Monty's Enchanted Hut.

At first my friend did not want to eat there, because he doesn't like european food. I also am not one that is big on pomp and circumstance and would just rather have a nice meal. Even though I have lived in the wine country of California, I must tell you that I would prefer a good taco truck to the French Laundry any day. Since all the waiters were shirtless and the place was beautifully styled, I though to myself that the food probably would not be very good. Still we entered.

My friend ordered the Thai set menu, and I ordered the set that included a beef filet. The dinner started with spring rolls that were delicious. Nothing special to them, just good. My friend then was served a plate of fried rice, steamed rice, and bowls of Tham Yam Gai, Green Curry, and Fried Chicken with Cashew Nut. According to him, everthing was good except for the Fried Chicken with Cashew, he said it wasn't spicy enough and probably thought it was made for European tastes. He ate all of the Tham Yam though and most of the green curry. Monty had told me before we ate that the Thai food was tame, so I imagine that Farang may enjoy it more, it tasted good to me.

As for my meal I was first brought a plate of Mango Curry (Indian style) which was delicious, but a little sweet for a first course. I was very tempted to eat the whole thing, but since I knew I had a steak coming, I did not. I also had a huge salad which was very nice with olives and pickles and very well dressed in a viniagrette. For me, though, the shining star of the meal was my steak. While it was no Charlie Trotter's or Ruth's Chris, it was definately better than that of the Outback Steakhouse. It was cooked well, tender, and had beautiful and tasty carmelized onions on top. It was, however, served with french fries and not a Jacket Potato, a little disappointing, but since I was so stuffed, it didn't really matter. Both of our meals were finished up with a wonderful fruit cup with cream. I don't like whipped cream out of a can, so I would rather have had the option of just eating the fruit or having real whipped cream, but after I moved the cream aside i was wonderful. Sometimes the best end to a large meal for me is a simple bowl of fruit, and this was definately fresh.

While I was there I had two Gin and Tonics. The first was rather weak, and the second rather strong. Maybe a bit more consistancy could be used when pouring. Another issue I have with the restaurant may not be shared with others, and that is that I feel I was given too much food. I always feel bad not being able to eat everything, and Monty definitely serves up a huge feast. I could not finish anything except for the beef fillet. If you have a big appetite, this is 100% the place for you.

Overall I had a wonderful time, and I would go back for the beef filet alone, although next time I might try the pork fillet as it sounded delicious as well. My friend was also pleasantly surprised. He said that for a "European Restaurant" (his words), the Thai food was very good, and for 150 baht for his set meal, I felt it very reasonable. My set meal was only 200 Baht. After all was said and done the bill came to 530 Baht (my friend ordered a sprite if you are doing the math at home). Very soon Monty will be having a show, and from the sound of things, it should be new and different and something new to do in an area that could use some more entertainment.
OVERALL RATINGS

Atmosphere -- 9/10
Drinks -- 7/10
Food -- 8/10
Service -- 9/10
Value -- 9/10

Monty's Enchanted Hut is a nice place and one that I would highly recommend.

For complete menu, prices, and other information, see http://www.gardencentre.com.au/enchantedhut/

HWT

August 1st, 2006, 00:48
Thanks, HeWentThere for the review. I am looking forward to a nice meal at Monty's Enchanted Hut on my next visit. Keep up the good information

August 1st, 2006, 08:29
Agree - I was in Jomtien a few days ago and had dinner at the Enchanted Hut several times. Thai food was so good I did not try the western menu. Quality / Quantity to price ratio - GREAT. The Thai set menu has several dishes. After living and working in Asia for 30 years I find this some of the best food I have had in a local restaurant. Might add the waiters are charming also!!!! Will be back for sure on my next visit to Thailand - TJ

August 1st, 2006, 10:52
DELETED

August 2nd, 2006, 15:18
i went las week. food ok. place clen, cept fer the kitchen and loo -- gross. service was slow.

5 out a 10.

-M

August 2nd, 2006, 16:35
DELETED

August 2nd, 2006, 21:38
and fairly eccentric and sometimes gives the impression of being totally nuts..but he has that unique ability to make a place successful.

August 2nd, 2006, 21:56
I am sorry if I am wrong, but don't think I am somehow, but following MM last few post, his pathetic English i am assuming he is a troll and nt woth taking seriously.

Maybe you are both LMTU wannabees?

August 5th, 2006, 09:21
DELETED