PDA

View Full Version : IconSiam Bangkok

Jellybean
November 25th, 2018, 20:50
Gay expats and gay tourists looking for somewhere new to shop and eat, or while away a few hours, might like to consider visiting IconSiam, Bangkok’s newest shopping mall.

The following information was received via email from BBB Inn Bangkok, which I thought was worth sharing with members:

Bangkok certainly has no shortage in shopping malls. Iconsiam is the newest edition. Be impressed when you arrive by boat. It seems to float on the river bank like 3 giant banana boats (Krathongs). The huge glass front has no straight line. The whole place imitates the waves of the river. Truly modern architecture Thai style.

The main focus are 50 Japanese shops and department stores. The food court looks like a floating market. Explore the variety of Thai eating and drinking on the ground floor. The fine dining is under the roof.

You can endlessly stroll past any kind of merchandise you can think of. Enjoy the variety, the colours, the luxury. If you plan to go shopping, bring some extra cash or better a solid credit card. You will need it.

Also bring a coat. The place is freezing cold. If you want to defrost, grab a hot coffee, chocolate or tea and visit the fabulous balcony. You have a stunning view of the river.

Take the free shuttle boats from the Sathorn pier. They run from 9:00 to 23:00 h every 10 minutes.

Iconsiam is the biggest mall in Bangkok. At least right now. Until we get a bigger one.

Source: http://bbbinn.com/

https://youtu.be/IVfYmXyXwww

And this is what Wikipedia has to say: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconsiam

a447
November 25th, 2018, 21:04
Looks awesome! It could give Siam Paragon a run for its money.

Let's go shopping!

neddy3
November 26th, 2018, 11:25
Will it be like Siam Paragon?
Empty shops and packed food court?

frequent
November 26th, 2018, 11:58
Will it be like Siam Paragon? Empty shops and packed food court?True, and who wants to go out towards Nonthaburi? However I understand from friends with live-in boys that it's a very popular destination

Patanawet
November 26th, 2018, 12:00
Just what we need in Bangkok -- another mall.
Emporium and Emquartier (and Paragon) are developing another site close to Emporium --- used to the the dinosaur.
So yet another mall that I can never find the exit in!

justaguy
November 27th, 2018, 01:06
True, and who wants to go out towards Nonthaburi? However I understand from friends with live-in boys that it's a very popular destination

Iconsiam is nowhere near Nonthaburi of course. I guess you meant to say Thonburi...

sglad
November 27th, 2018, 01:58
Will it be like Siam Paragon?
Empty shops and packed food court?

High-end stores don't "pack in the crowds" but tend to have a slow but steady stream of customers, usually regulars unless there's a super mark-down or stock clearance sale which will attract the hoi polloi. Even then, regulars usually get invited to a pre-sale event where they get the first pick of what's on offer.

Smiles
November 27th, 2018, 11:48
High-end stores don't "pack in the crowds" but tend to have a slow but steady stream of customers, usually regulars unless there's a super mark-down or stock clearance sale which will attract the hoi polloi. Even then, regulars usually get invited to a pre-sale event where they get the first pick of what's on offer.. . . and sometimes the store is actually locked with an attendant inside to make sure you aren't the riff raff. Hermes used to do this, though I'm not sure if they still do. My beloved bottle of 'Terre D'Hermes' lasts 4 or 5 years so I don't appear all that often: so long as Mr Pot is not spraying it all over his clothes.
I doubt also that many looky-loos actually step inside the Lamborghini or Mclaren store. They just put their dirty noses on the glass walls. The sales staff in those joints are ecstatic to sell one every two months or so.

frequent
November 27th, 2018, 12:23
. . . and sometimes the store is actually locked with an attendant inside to make sure you aren't the riff raff. If you're in luck the attendant will give you a head job (a friend of mine received such while trying on a pair of trousers)

DoubleDutch
November 27th, 2018, 15:37
Link to Wikipedia page, going by photos this new mall makes Paragon look like Walmart.
But largest mall in Bangkok? Central World seems largest now, and it is massive, it's impossible not to get lost in the mall side.

Wikipedia: "ICONSIAM is one kilometer from the nearest BTS Skytrain station, a monorail, to be completed in 2019,[7] will connect the complex to Krung Thonburi station on the BTS Skytrain Silom Line".

Siam Paragon, Gaysorn, Siam Square, Discovery, Central Chidlim, MBK are all within walking distance on Sukhumvit. Skkywalk or walk on sidewalks. Only 2 stops on BTS gets you to Patpong area and Silom. New mall is far, who wants to take the Silom line across the river, and then another extension?
Thai love to walk around in malls. Malls in Bangkok seem their version of parks of large Western cities, places to just walk around. Indoor parks with almost no seating, without fresh air, without anything green, with no view, no windows, giant air conditionined boxes.

Smiles
November 27th, 2018, 16:19
I love malls. Airconned plus exquisite Thai's butts as round as fresh apples cruising through walkways oblivious to Old-Men-Lurking.
Oops ... sorry, that would be me doing the cruising. Pathetic.

a447
November 27th, 2018, 17:53
My beloved bottle of 'Terre D'Hermes'

That's my favourite fragrance, too. It has a distinct smell of oranges.

But it gets wasted in Thailand. It soon gets washed off with all the showers I take.

I spend a lot of time wandering around Siam Paragon and often eat in the restaurants downstairs. After dinner I head to the gourmet market and enjoy the various small samples off sweet food.

Over recent years a number of Japanese dessert cafes have opened up downstairs on the "canal", offering incredible Western-style desserts with a Japanese touch.

The new mail is a bit out of the way, but it's tempting. I'm wondering if it offers something Siam Paragon doesn't.

bkkguy
November 27th, 2018, 18:25
The new mail is a bit out of the way, but it's tempting. I'm wondering if it offers something Siam Paragon doesn't.

the first Apple store in Thailand if you're desperate for some overpriced hardware from kids wearing Apple t-shirts rather than iStudio t-shirts

bkkguy

DoubleDutch
November 30th, 2018, 13:58
My beloved bottle of 'Terre D'Hermes' lasts 4 or 5 years so I don't appear all that often: so long as Mr Pot doesn't drink it all

Do you remember the packaging of your Hermes? Some are sold at Central, but I know Hermes has exclusive scents they only sell at their shops, friend of mine uses it, he is quite proud of the fact that plebeians can't just walk to any department store and buy it.
Is it this by any chance:

justaguy
December 1st, 2018, 00:01
Link to Wikipedia page, going by photos this new mall makes Paragon look like Walmart.
But largest mall in Bangkok? Central World seems largest now, and it is massive, it's impossible not to get lost in the mall side.

Wikipedia: "ICONSIAM is one kilometer from the nearest BTS Skytrain station, a monorail, to be completed in 2019,[7] will connect the complex to Krung Thonburi station on the BTS Skytrain Silom Line".

Siam Paragon, Gaysorn, Siam Square, Discovery, Central Chidlim, MBK are all within walking distance on Sukhumvit. Skkywalk or walk on sidewalks. Only 2 stops on BTS gets you to Patpong area and Silom. New mall is far, who wants to take the Silom line across the river, and then another extension?
Thai love to walk around in malls. Malls in Bangkok seem their version of parks of large Western cities, places to just walk around. Indoor parks with almost no seating, without fresh air, without anything green, with no view, no windows, giant air conditionined boxes.

You can take a shuttle boat from Saphan Thaksin. No need to go to Krung Thonburi BTS. It really isn't all that far away from Silom. If you swim it will be less than a kilometer away from the river end of Silom.

dinagam
March 25th, 2019, 12:22
I had a pleasant trip to IconSiam late yesterday afternoon, took the free shuttle boat from Saphan Thaksin, five minutes of waiting under the tarpaulin on an extremely hot day, five minutes to board, and five minutes gentle ride on the ChaoPraya, and we were promptly deposited on the other bank of the River.
Quite an imposing and aesthetically pleasant structure, of mostly glass facades.
Of note are the Maserati, Porche, and Rolls Royce machines. Of course there is the Hermes store and to die for Dolce and Gabbana cocktail dresses in the latest fashion. On the ground floor there is the floating market.
The Darjeeling tea and chocolate tart served at NaRaYa was all that I needed to sustain my energy for the next few hours at the mall. The tea service was presented on china and gold plated cutlery including the tea leaves strainer. I almost felt like the duchess of Glenconner.
And at sunset the splendid musical fountain with synchronised light displays enthralled the milling crowd.
Leaving the place after dinner was a breeze all the way to Sathorn pier,as the crowd was smaller than during the day.

Manforallseasons
March 25th, 2019, 13:20
Thanks for the pics, Bangkok as far as the bars are concerned has become quite a bore, this new mall might be a reason to make the trip from Pattaya if only for a day.

frequent
March 25th, 2019, 15:29
Thanks for the pics, Bangkok as far as the bars are concerned has become quite a bore, this new mall might be a reason to make the trip from Pattaya if only for a day.
Perhaps I should reciprocate MFAS. The news from the Pattaya bars as set out on SGT makes them sound something no self-respecting sodomite should miss

lonelywombat
March 28th, 2019, 17:49
Perhaps I should reciprocate MFAS. The news from the Pattaya bars as set out on SGT makes them sound something no self-respecting sodomite should miss

Yet you comment as if you have been to Pattaya and Thailand when it is obvious you have not.

sglad
March 29th, 2019, 23:33
True, and who wants to go out towards Nonthaburi? However I understand from friends with live-in boys that it's a very popular destination

Hahaha, Nonthaburi is not even the same province as the mall is in. Thirty years in Bangkok and you don't even know where the new mall is, which, as you said is very popular among your friends' boyfriends and therefore much talked about? Surely you would have seen the glossy pull-out supplements in the local newspapers, the ad nauseam ads on TV, the talk show reviews (many in English)?

sglad
March 29th, 2019, 23:38
I almost felt like the duchess of Glenconner.

Luvvve the clutch purse, Duchess. Did you have to loosen your corset before you took tea?

PS Great pics and write up!

frequent
March 30th, 2019, 04:22
Hahaha, Nonthaburi is not even the same province as the mall is in. Thirty years in Bangkok and you don't even know where the new mall is, which, as you said is very popular among your friends' boyfriends and therefore much talked about? Surely you would have seen the glossy pull-out supplements in the local newspapers, the ad nauseam ads on TV, the talk show reviews (many in English)?"Popular among my friends' boyfriends" is hardly anything beyond "name recognition". Unlike you, after the same thirty years in Thailand I don't speak much Thai and I certainly wouldn't be watching Thai television. I rarely pick up a printed newspaper unless I'm in Starbucks and I'm really, really bored. How is Thonglor 55 (in every sense in which you use it) these days? Still using it as one of your email addresses?