PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok office of immigration

kjun12
October 18th, 2018, 17:15
Yesterday I had the non pleasure of visiting the Bangkok immigration office for a visa extension. It was my worse time there in 14 years I have had to go there and I was there from 9 AM until 4 PM. At one time there were only only two agents working desks and at least 500 people waiting to get visa extensions. Not until after the lunch break were all desks maned and working. The new head of Immigration is supposed to be getting things working better but he has certainly done nothing to speed things up. Also, I had to sign three new papers and I have no idea what they said because they were all in Thai with no English Translation. In addition I had to draw a map to my residence. The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map.

DoubleDutch
October 18th, 2018, 17:19
Possibly very crowded because Mon was official state holiday, and Tue, too.
With weekend, that makes 4 days, lots of people showed up at once. Mondays are usually busy, too.

latintopxxx
October 18th, 2018, 17:24
wouldnt it just be easier to engage a local agent to take care of these annoying matters...well worth 1000 - 2000bht I reckon....imagine the agony...stuck in a Thai government office for a whole day...just shoot me already

DoubleDutch
October 18th, 2018, 17:35
wouldnt it just be easier to engage a local agent to take care of these annoying matters...well worth 1000 - 2000bht I reckon....imagine the agony...stuck in a Thai government office for a whole day...just shoot me already

I chose agent, even if only 1 hour, I don't want to sit at Immigration office.

Funny thing, agent fees are changing, 30 days extension of 30 day entry stamp, or 30 days extention to Tourist Visa actual gov fee is 1900 baht. 5 years ago agent total cost 2500 baht,
3 years ago exact same extension cost went up to 3000,
2 years ago 3500
Last winter 3500 -4000 baht. I walked through 4 different visa agents, all quoted 4000 baht, last one I went to asked 3500.

This year, just out of curiosity I walked into agent office, it was just on my way, she asked 4500 baht for extention. Getting kind of silly now.

Smiles
October 19th, 2018, 14:41
ALL visa extensions at the Thai Immigration offices are 1900 Baht no matter which visa you are using to be in the Kingdom. You want a 30 day extension? Thank you sir, give me 1900 baht. You want a year's extension? Thank you sir, give me 1900 baht.

I've never used an agent, but I assume that their fees would always be more than the 1900 baht in order to make a profit.
Total waste of money are the agents.

latintopxxx
October 19th, 2018, 17:45
and i thought i was cheap....

homeseeker
October 24th, 2018, 07:16
Correct me if i am wrong but for the so called "retirement" extension @ 1 year the applicant needs to attend in person and hence the use of an agent is pointless?

francois
October 24th, 2018, 12:25
homeseeker,you are wrong, but that could change.:(

2lz2p
October 25th, 2018, 13:27
Correct me if i am wrong but for the so called "retirement" extension @ 1 year the applicant needs to attend in person and hence the use of an agent is pointless?

You are correct according to Immigration requirements - BUT it is well known that "agents" can get it done without the applicant having to appear (did someone say "tea money" is involved?) in person. Of course at a cost.

However, according to the new acting Immigration chief, this may come to a halt as he has announced his intention of going after such agents as well as IOs that accept "tips".

latintopxxx
October 25th, 2018, 17:22
Where there is a baht to be made ...they will find a way...so relax

homeseeker
November 2nd, 2018, 09:40
You are correct according to Immigration requirements - BUT it is well known that "agents" can get it done without the applicant having to appear (did someone say "tea money" is involved?) in person. Of course at a cost.

However, according to the new acting Immigration chief, this may come to a halt as he has announced his intention of going after such agents as well as IOs that accept "tips".

-Well it may be well known to some but not to me.
So can you tell me the names of these agents (CW) who can get it done without me attending in person?
How much is the charge?

And how can I know for sure that the renewal stamp in my passport is genuine and not fake?

Plus i would need to trust giving my passport with the agent or their messengers...

Hmmm....quite apart from the illegality of it all...i would prefer to do it myself even if it means a long wait at immigration.
Thank u.