PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boars on Ellen Show

Doug
October 16th, 2018, 18:50
They did a wonderful job representing themselves and Thailand. Sure they're being exploited but I believe they are having the time of their lives and the international travel must be a great educational experience. I loved their reaction when the football star appeared.
Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcdVSlrv44

gerefan2
October 16th, 2018, 21:55
Who the hell is Ellen, and why are 99.9% of the audience women?
Is she some dyke?
See 00.32 of the video...

scottish-guy
October 16th, 2018, 23:48
Francois would tell you to Google.

I'll just tell you, she is indeed a well-known dyke.

sglad
October 16th, 2018, 23:56
Who the hell is Ellen, and why are 99.9% of the audience women?
Is she some dyke?
See 00.32 of the video...

Somebody should have taught her how to rap wai, or told her not to wai at all.

Captain Swing
October 17th, 2018, 02:54
Francois would tell you to Google.

I'll just tell you, she is indeed a well-known dyke.

Probably the best known (admitted) dyke in America--when she first came out, many years ago, it made the cover of Time magazine (which mattered then). She's extremely popular and extremely rich, not quite at the level of Oprah, but not far behind. Unlike Oprah, she still has a daily show. She probably couldn't care less if she was wai-ing correctly, and I doubt her guests cared either. At least she didn't try to speak Thai--I wonder if she would have used "krap" or "ka."

sglad
October 17th, 2018, 03:03
She probably couldn't care less if she was wai-ing correctly, and I doubt her guests cared either.

Yes, I'm sure you think they (her guests and Thai people watching) only care about her popularity and how much money she has.

Captain Swing
October 17th, 2018, 03:27
Yes, I'm sure you think they (her guests and Thai people watching) only care about her popularity and how much money she has.

You're sure I think that, huh? I think Thai people realize she's a foreigner, and foreigners, being stupid and inferior, can't be expected to master Thai customs. If they're slightly more generous than that, they appreciate that she made the attempt to use the wai as a courtesy, despite being unfamiliar with it, and accept her gesture in the spirit it was made.

sglad
October 17th, 2018, 03:38
I think Thai people realize she's a foreigner, and foreigners, being stupid and inferior, can't be expected to master Thai customs. If they're slightly more generous than that, they appreciate that she made the attempt to use the wai as a courtesy, despite being unfamiliar with it, and accept her gesture in the spirit it was made.

I can only speak to what's written by you and me but I can't sneeringly speak of and generalise on behalf of 69 million Thai people as you just did.

Dalewood
October 17th, 2018, 04:27
I am missing something....wild boars?

scottish-guy
October 17th, 2018, 04:54

Pretty sure it's the name of the soccer club to which the Thai boys (trapped in the caves) belonged.

gerefan2
October 17th, 2018, 05:21

You are. Scotty is dead right it is the name of the boys team who were trapped in the Thailand cave. Did you miss that too?!

Captain Swing
October 17th, 2018, 05:37
I can only speak to what's written by you and me but I can't sneeringly speak of and generalise on behalf of 69 million Thai people as you just did.
Get Well Soon

Dalewood
October 17th, 2018, 05:38
You are. Scotty is dead right it is the name of the boys team who were trapped in the Thailand cave. Did you miss that too?!

I am sure that I did. For whatever the reason, about five minutes after I turn on my laptop, I get no sound. Everything else works fine, so I put up with it. I will take any suggestions to solve the problem.

BTW: Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, passed away today at 65.

gerefan2
October 17th, 2018, 07:02
Was he gay?

kittyboy
October 17th, 2018, 21:07
I watched the video and smiled the entire time. They are a group of kids having a great time being in the spotlight for a few minutes.
They went through a dramatic event together.
I don't think they are heroes - just a bunch of kids who banded together during a tough and potentially fatal event and survived with the help and efforts of many many people.
Many people around the world want want to share in their feel good story.
The boys looked looked like they were enjoying the experience.

francois
October 17th, 2018, 22:55

Yes, you did miss something.

DoubleDutch
October 18th, 2018, 00:20
I am sure that I did. For whatever the reason, about five minutes after I turn on my laptop, I get no sound. Everything else works fine, so I put up with it. I will take any suggestions to solve the problem.

Have you tried turning up volume? There is a little volume icon in the right bottom corner, click on it :)

latintopxxx
October 18th, 2018, 02:46
LOL...

bkkguy
October 18th, 2018, 19:30
They are a group of kids having a great time being in the spotlight for a few minutes.
They went through a dramatic event together.
I don't think they are heroes - just a bunch of kids who banded together during a tough and potentially fatal event and survived

Interesting (ie highly sarcastic) Letter to the Editor in the Post today about the relative merits of paper plane design versus cave squatting for the remaining stateless persons in Thailand

Roger Crutchley in his Oct 14 column reminds us that awards for flying paper planes is a route to citizenship for stateless persons. But we are also reminded that it is a slow track to citizenship -- nine long years.

Getting stuck in a cave is still by far the fastest -- just a short few months! And, in fact, the four Wild Boars who were fast-tracked probably gave rise to the bronze medal paper plane flyer being ushered through to success. Of the remaining hundreds of thousands many are sure to head to Chiang Rai next wet season, rather than taking up paper plane flying.

Postbag, Bangkok Post 18 October, 2018 (https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/postbag/1560006/rights-are-sadly-lost)

bkkguy

Brad the Impala
October 19th, 2018, 05:07
Ah Roger Crutchley! My god his column has been going a long time, and that's not a euphemism. I think he had a regular and entertaining column in the Bangkok Post in the 70's, or this his son?

arsenal
October 19th, 2018, 07:02
Brad wrote.
"...Roger Crutchley... think he had a regular and entertaining column in the Bangkok Post in the 70's"

You think! Which bit are you struggling to remember?

kittyboy
October 19th, 2018, 20:33
Interesting (ie highly sarcastic) Letter to the Editor in the Post today about the relative merits of paper plane design V's cave squatting for the remaining stateless persons in Thailand

Postbag, Bangkok Post 18 October, 2018 (https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/postbag/1560006/rights-are-sadly-lost)

bkkguy

My take on this is the boys are being used by the military government and whoever else can get a piece of the action. The government ships them off to TV appearances and a world tour to show off the feel good story of how the boys survived - and the government gets a bit of a positive spillover by being associated with the soccer team boys and the warm feelings being generated towards them.
I read that the team is negotiating (with the help of the government) a movie deal and they are currently on a tour of the US and other parts overseas. The Ellen show gets a ratings bump and everyone gets something.

They are essentially a commodity to be used and then discarded. If they can get something out of this process of their 15 minutes of fame then good for them.

Jellybean
October 22nd, 2018, 15:27
Thirty-two posts unrelated to this topic have been moved to a separate thread here in the Sawatdee Gay Thailand forum entitled, Sex workers in Thailand.

A quick link is below:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20390-Sex-workers-in-Thailand

Another sixteen posts unrelated to the topic have been moved to a separate topic in the Holding Room entitled, A never ending story.

A quick link is below:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20391-A-never-ending-story

kittyboy
October 23rd, 2018, 00:21
As a continuation of the feel good story about the Wild Boars soccer team - "the boys were seen training with the LA Galaxy team and even played football with the team members. The boys were also given a tour to Galaxy's StubHub Center stadium and the meet was set up by US television star Ellen DeGeneres." - cut and pasted from the linked article below. Good for them - As a sometimes cynic - they will be old news in a few months - Get the freebies while you can boys.

https://www.latestly.com/sports/football/thai-cave-football-team-boys-train-with-la-galaxy-zlatan-ibrahimovic-see-pics-video-446047.html

latintopxxx
October 23rd, 2018, 14:32
why r they famous???

latintopxxx
October 23rd, 2018, 14:36
oh wait...i know...because they were stooopid enough to go into an underwater cave during the rainy season...and their parents let them do it...and oh wait...big surprise...it rained....and now they r trapped...oh wait...now the whole fucking world has to drop whatever they are doing to go save these dim wits...yay...and now they r famous...and will sign a movie deal...and become billionaires (except for the reject non buddist one whos not welcome)...
Moral of the tale...if u r a dim wit ...u succeed...

neddy3
October 23rd, 2018, 16:52
Latin, you're just a nasty person.

snotface
October 23rd, 2018, 17:00
Latin, you're just a nasty person.

True, but our resident dim-witted psychopath is harmless on a board like this where the only weapon he has is insults. He who insults everybody insults nobody.

latintopxxx
October 23rd, 2018, 17:32
thanks snotface for coming to my defence...

latintopxxx
October 23rd, 2018, 17:33
...relax....i git it...just winding u up...

latintopxxx
October 23rd, 2018, 17:35
...and snotface (who da fuck gave u that handle??)...im just saying what everyone is thinking...like what were they thinking...where were the parents...and a soldier dies in the process...they should hang their heads in shame for causing his death...total idiots..and not parade around like they saved a bus load of pregnant nuns

kittyboy
October 23rd, 2018, 19:20
...and snotface (who da fuck gave u that handle??)...im just saying what everyone is thinking...like what were they thinking...where were the parents...and a soldier dies in the process...they should hang their heads in shame for causing his death...total idiots..and not parade around like they saved a bus load of pregnant nuns

Nice wind up. EVERYONE IS THINKING...Oh the horror..those idiot parents..blah blah..
Nice agony aunt touches.

bkkguy
October 24th, 2018, 19:19
not parade around like they saved a bus load of pregnant nuns

wouldn't a bus load of pregnant nuns be on the road to hell already and thus a bad choice to save?

I mean wouldn't the nuns just be expected to come back as cockroaches in Thailand, or are we thinking more a "prodigal returning to the flock" type redemption here? I'm not exactly sure where Ellen or her audience would stand on that but I wouldn't hold your breath for much interest!

if I was the wild boars I would stick to be trapped in a cave

bkkguy

latintopxxx
October 25th, 2018, 01:33
i guess its the way of the world...fuck i must be getting old when i think im the only one with the lights on...do a sex tape a la paris hilton and instantly u r famous...do something stooopid like climb into a water filled cave ...and again...u r famous...
Dont get me wrong it was the right thing to rescue them and like the rest of the world I was so happy when they were finally out of that infernal cave...but now to parade them like heroes is a little bit much

kittyboy
October 25th, 2018, 03:53
i guess its the way of the world...fuck i must be getting old when i think im the only one with the lights on...do a sex tape a la paris hilton and instantly u r famous...do something stooopid like climb into a water filled cave ...and again...u r famous...
Dont get me wrong it was the right thing to rescue them and like the rest of the world I was so happy when they were finally out of that infernal cave...but now to parade them like heroes is a little bit much

There is a moment of some self awareness in your post - see the portion I highlighted. But of course you do the classic of misstating the facts and arguing about your misstated facts. Sadly it is sometimes the "fuck I must be getting old" type that engages in that type of self argument. Oh well.

I suspect that for most of the Wild Boars team this will their first plane trip, certainly their first selfies with international soccer stars, their first appearances on international TV. Watching again their appearance on the Ellen show..it was fun to watch.
And yes a tragedy that at least one person died while trying to rescue them. I hope they honor the dead Thai diver in their own way.

dab69
October 25th, 2018, 06:59
they didn't "parade them like heroes". It's just a human interest story.
(only humans would know this-sorry Latin)
So many - the world- watched them and now we all know a little more about them.