PDA

View Full Version : Thai policemen - always on duty or not ?

Nirish guy
October 16th, 2018, 05:23
Just as I was posting on another thread re the gay area in phuket it reminded me of a situation I encountered that in hind sight has made me ask the following question : Thai policemen - are they ALWAYS "on duty" or not?.

What I mean by this is that i believe that British police Constables ARE considered always "on duty" from a legal point of view re their warrant allowing them to make arrests etc even when "off duty" i.e outside of from their normal station working hours ( so if they are out for a night out with their wife and witness a crime they can ( and would be expected ) to intervene and if required attempt to make an arrest etc.

The reason I'm asking if this is also the Thai police officers is after seeing the following while sitting in a beer bar in the Phuket gay street.

So, about 2am and me sitting in an outside seat of a beer bar there and I witnessed a reasonably drunk American girl getting ejected from a bar after causing some form of trouble. Then about 15 minutes later she was then ejected from the club across the Soi after she and her friends had gone there ( apparently for lifting / stealing someone else's drink allegedly).

Meanwhile whilst all this had been going on I noticed two policemen sitting parked up for quite a long time in a pick up truck at the front gates of the Soi. I asked my Thai friend why they were there and he said something like "ohhh they're not working police but just paid by Soi to stay here and be the "police" if needed / to be seen to be there", which I took to mean they were actually moonlighting, being in effect security guards but in their police uniforms but whilst actually "off duty".

Anyway, so the by now very loud and very drunk American girl came falling out of the club, after being physically and forcibly ejected out the doors but the clubs security staff, whilst shouting the odds and doing the usual "get your hands off me, you can't touch me, I'm an American you know, don't you DARE TOUCH me" thing etc.

This went on for a few minutes and the "police" HAD to go over. They then made all the noises about "ok you go home NOW" but she was having none of it and started screaming at them too. One of the policemen then lost his temper and took out his handcuffs and shouted "ok now you go to jail" BUT it was very obvious when watching that they had actually no REAL wish or intention ( or hence my question - legal right ???) to actually arrest her !

I then asked to speak to her ( as I was one of the few farang sitting about at that time and they were very glad to say yes to my offer) and eventually, after 15 minutes of her screaming and yelling I reminded her that "she wasn't in Kansas anymore" so to speak and quietened her down enough to get her to fuck off home. The police man then came up and shook my hand and thanked me.

So, it made me wonder - were they simply moonlighting and hadn't ( and dont have ??) the authority to arrest someone if it's outside their appointed duty hours, or perhaps like all people maybe it was just that at 2am the last thing they wanted was a loud drunk American girl to deal with back at the station ( or perhaps they KNEW they couldn't take her to any station as they were't on duty ??

So, just purely out of interest might anyone have ant idea as to which it might be, i.e " Can a Thai police man arrest you 24/7 and even if he's outside of his station area etc?"

I'm guessing being Thailand the answer is of course yes, especially if there's enough money to be made from it, but I ust wondered about the actual legality of his powers ( just out of interest as I've no intention of putting this legal point to the test any time soon I should add ! :)

latintopxxx
October 16th, 2018, 05:31
Nirish...u simply couldnt resist a dig at the americans...let me remind u oh ungrateful one that if it wasnt for those loud arrogant entitled uncouth americans that u would at the very best be speaking german...or at the very worst incinerated...

Nirish guy
October 16th, 2018, 05:37
I wasn't having a dig at all, it just so happened that that's where she was from - not my fault if she fitted a certain redneck stereotype I guess - don't shoot the messenger. :)

Manforallseasons
October 16th, 2018, 08:15
let me remind u oh ungrateful one that if it wasnt for those loud arrogant entitled uncouth americans that u would at the very best be speaking german...or at the very worst incinerated...

The worst tourists that I have encounted are:

Lower class Brits, all Australians, Russians and most currently mainland Chinese!

arsenal
October 16th, 2018, 08:55
All groups of tourists are horrible, all of the time and in all places.

And Latin. A brief look at the history of WW II might re-evaluate your opinion. Assuming you can read. Britain won the Battle of Britain before Pearl Harbour took place.

Getting back to the original topic. I suspect that all Thai policemen are considered on duty if they're in uniform. The easy way to tell is if they're wearing guns. A gun signifies they're real police and not the plastic ones we see (usually blowing a whistle) out and about sometimes.

Captain Swing
October 16th, 2018, 12:53
And Latin. A brief look at the history of WW II might re-evaluate your opinion. Assuming you can read. Britain won the Battle of Britain before Pearl Harbour took place.

Well shit! Why didn't you guys tell us that you didn't need us? What was that Churchill fella nattering on about? All those millions of Kansas farm boys could have stayed home, or better yet headed to the Pacific and grabbed ol' Tojo's nuts in a couple of months instead of resorting to all that "atom bomb" unpleasantness. I think we wuz had.

Actually, I think winning the so-called Battle of Britain ain't exactly the same thing as winning the war.

arsenal
October 16th, 2018, 13:08
Thank you G.I. Joe.

Captain Swing
October 16th, 2018, 13:15
Is that the book that the Richard Lester film "How I Won The War" is based on?

arsenal
October 16th, 2018, 13:40
I don't know.

I do know that after The Battle of Britain, the UK had air supremacy which it never relinquished and was thus, never in genuine danger of being invaded.

So in that respect, Britain didn't actually need to win the war, unlike France, Belgium, The Netherlands and all the other countries under Nazi rule.

I also know that until Pearl Harbour, the Neutrality Act prevented Roosevelt of doing anything meaningful to assist. It is said Churchill danced for joy at the news from Hawaii knowing full well it's repercussions.

latintopxxx
October 16th, 2018, 15:20
arsenal...stop maklng a total fool of yourself....without the yanks ...U (we!!) wiuld have been toast...like really badly burnt toast....
...and btw....in no way am I belittling the British effort....but it really was a last gasp...and just like in the movies...the calvary came charging in just in time...we may dislike trump...or at least the way he delivers his message....but we shouldnt dislike the country that saved the world.

scottish-guy
October 16th, 2018, 15:50
... we shouldnt dislike the country that saved the world.

We can argue about who saved the world, but in the case of winning the war in Europe it was undoubtedly the UK (inc her colonies/former colonies) and Russia. The UK for holding out and providing a launching pad for the victory, and Russia for defeating Germany's invasion and pushing them back. There is no conceivable way that Germany could have been successful after their defeat in Russia.

That is not to belittle the immense contribution of the USA, which is all the more principled because they didn't have to do it and we must therefore always give credit and thanks, but the reality is that if the invasion leading to the defeat of Germany had not come from the West, it would have come from the East. Equally, without USA forces, there simply could not have been an invasion from the West.

Thereafter it's likely that most of Europe would have become Russian satellite states, and that's where LatintopXXX's argument about "saving the world" might have some truth.

Nirish guy
October 16th, 2018, 15:51
I'm sure that there was an original topic in here somewhere, if only I could find it.........

scottish-guy
October 16th, 2018, 15:55
Thanks Francois O'Toole :D

Maybe nobody knows the answer though.

Why not "ask a policeman"?

Nirish guy
October 16th, 2018, 16:00
Well how about if you all dont know the answer then how about fucking away off and starting your own topic entitled "who won the war and all the usual old shit" and stop talking all that shit on my wee innocent topic then ! :-)

It's usually "polite" to at least let the topic wander a BIT and then burn out before we all start to derail it like a train on broken tracks. This one was derailed on it's the second post and then every one just a bit more more on just about every post thereafter - hell I had to check back on the thread title to see was I in the right thread when I opened it ffs..

There, that's how my day's going to start, taking no oul shit ! God love my staff later when I bother myself to go into work ! lol

( ps AM (half) joking by the way. )

arsenal
October 16th, 2018, 16:08
Scottish Guy wrote.

"We can argue about who saved the world, but in the case of winning the war in Europe it was undoubtedly the UK (inc her colonies/former colonies) and Russia. The UK for holding out and providing a launching pad for the victory, and Russia for defeating Germany's invasion and pushing them back. There is no conceivable way that Germany could have been successful after their defeat in Russia.

That is not to belittle the immense contribution of the USA, which is all the more principled because they didn't have to do it and we must therefore always give credit and thanks, but the reality is that if the invasion leading to the defeat of Germany had not come from the West, it would have come from the East.

Thereafter it's likely that most of Europe would have become Russian satellite states, and that's where LatintopXXX's argument about "saving the world" might have some truth."

I agree wholeheartedly with that. If you haven't seen them, Darkest Hour and Dunkirk, while independent of each other work well as a set and are superb.

Nirish guy
October 16th, 2018, 16:11
Oh I give up - go ahead just knock yourselves out.

DoubleDutch
October 16th, 2018, 16:51
Oh I give up - go ahead just knock yourselves out.

It's latintopxxx's fault! At least he didn't get into his usual small horse, or pony stories, for that we have to be grateful.

Btw, has anyone else noticed that frequent is missing? What happened?

scottish-guy
October 16th, 2018, 18:00
IBtw, has anyone else noticed that frequent is missing? What happened?

I have it on good authority that Frequent is in a meeting with Lt Col Wattabigbhumhole of the Royal Thai Police regarding the query posted by NIrish, and hopes to return with a definitive answer within 24 hours

Manforallseasons
October 16th, 2018, 18:09
Btw, has anyone else noticed that frequent is missing?

:))

DoubleDutch
October 16th, 2018, 20:00
:))

What you laughing, MFAS? What have you done to frequent, is he kidnapped? Just like this Khashoggi dude, walked into an embassy, and simply disappeared.

dinagam
October 16th, 2018, 20:17
Who knows, he could be self-flagellating himself to full ecstacy.

gerefan2
October 16th, 2018, 21:45
Btw, has anyone else noticed that frequent is missing? What happened?

Oh, not again...he hasnt has he ???
Mods.....please give us the news...

Marsilius
October 16th, 2018, 22:01
...That is not to belittle the immense contribution of the USA, which is all the more principled because they didn't have to do it...

Er... oh, yes they did, I'm afraid. The USA didn't enter the war by choice but because war was declared on them (a) by Japan attacking at Pearl Harbor, and then (b) by Hitler declaring war on the USA (not the other way around). The USA may have been generally sympathetic to the anti-Axis cause before December 1941 but it was dragged into the conflict willy-nilly. It didn't enter the war on principle at that point but because they had no choice over whether to do so or not.

sglad
October 16th, 2018, 22:15
So, just purely out of interest might anyone have ant idea as to which it might be, i.e " Can a Thai police man arrest you 24/7 and even if he's outside of his station area etc?"

Yes, they can if the situation warrants it. Here they were hired as deterrents but they still have their police powers. I'm not sure of the legality of this working on the side business but I doubt you're going to get very far with the "you weren't officially on duty so the arrest is illegal" argument with the Thai authorities. They could also be legit auxiliary police. And the most obvious explanation, the one that farangs tend to overlook, is that they are part-and-parcel of the parasitic habitat in what is essentially an illegal industry - they are there to "protect" that particular territory, provide tips offs of impending raids and general security, in return for protection money. Their job is to manage and contain, and to deflect as much negative attention from those businesses as possible, unless of course they've been behind in their protection payments.

In this case, they clearly chose not to arrest as they probably, and correctly, thought that the whole matter could be contained. Thai police have been getting a lot of bad press lately, especially in cases involving farang women, and the last thing they'd want is another PR nightmare involving loud-mouthed Americans.

scottish-guy
October 16th, 2018, 23:37
Er... oh, yes they did, I'm afraid. The USA didn't enter the war by choice but because war was declared on them (a) by Japan attacking at Pearl Harbor, and then (b) by Hitler declaring war on the USA (not the other way around). The USA may have been generally sympathetic to the anti-Axis cause before December 1941 but it was dragged into the conflict willy-nilly. It didn't enter the war on principle at that point but because they had no choice over whether to do so or not.

My thoughts were that the USA could easily have chosen to engage only with Japan and the Pacific War, and left Germany and Italy to their own devices in Europe.

I can't think what possible threat Germany and Italy posed to USA with their declaration of war, which is why I'm suggesting USA didn't have to actively enter the war in Europe.

After entering the war, I'm aware that Roosevelt agreed that Europe would be the priority and again I would suggest he and the USA didn't have to make it so.

Anyhow - I feel guilty having this discussion on NIrish's thread so I'm gonna say no more.

Nirish guy
October 17th, 2018, 00:39
Anyhow - I feel guilty having this discussion on NIrish's thread so I'm gonna say no more.

Oh dont worry, just work away there, I gave up on this thread and expecting any sensible answers about same AGES ago !

latintopxxx
October 17th, 2018, 12:29
I wonder if that khassoggi guy is related to the 1970's arm trader of the same name....anyway message seems to be dont mess with the saudis...

Captain Swing
October 17th, 2018, 13:13
I wonder if that khassoggi guy is related to the 1970's arm trader of the same name....anyway message seems to be dont mess with the saudis...
His nephew, according to the New York Times.

Nirish guy
October 17th, 2018, 16:12
Yes, they can if the situation warrants it.

Thank you SGLAD for a reply that WAS on topic and interesting - unlike all the other drivel about the second war world war etc that has and had FUCK ALL to do with this thread and should be shifted elsewhere ( maybe to a board for children arguing about "we won the war: "No, you didn't WE did" OHHHH NOOOOO, you didn't WE did" going on ad infinitum.

latintopxxx
October 17th, 2018, 17:20
relax u interloper...cant your little brain handle more than one story line...so pedantic ... what r u??? sheldon??

Nirish guy
October 17th, 2018, 18:17
Oh sorry, I forget how gripping you calling SG something about Scat was, or him calling Arensal some sort of wanker, or Arsenal calling him out as a cunt is......do carry on there, gripping stuff. Like seriously, is it not time to change the record guys ? it's getting SO boring.

DoubleDutch
October 17th, 2018, 18:21
What's going on, Nirish guy?

I think Nirish guy needs to be introduced to some wonderful Chinese tops ASAP.

pong
October 17th, 2018, 18:24
Back to the subject, though i did not read this whole parrotting of we have read this so many times already nothing to do with subject.
Dear NI-what your friend also did not explain to you is that Thai police will only ever get in action if its abundantly clear there is some reward in sight for that.
It does look they were what you call moonlighting, or doing extra overtime in uniform, at probably a regular deal with the barowners in that soi. The agreement is limited to that-any additional actions also need to be rewarded. Plus that probably they did not speak enough of english to deal with this overhyped girlie from Kansas or Oklahoma.
I have witnessed in the past that they threw a similar misbehaving girlie (from UK) out of a guesthouse-even without all her belongings and even passports etc.-but that was whilst on duty and called from the regular station. Even then the guesthse had to provide for extra incentives to have them handle this.
BTW-this girlie must have misbehaved immensely then-Thai bouncers and waiting staff normally rejoice at the prospect of having to throw out and give a firm beating such a miscreature- one can watch this around Patpong and in soi walking/PTY on a regular base. They probably already knew that her wallet was empty.......

latintopxxx
October 18th, 2018, 02:53
dunno...those chav girls would need more than one little Thai cop ....very aggressive/tough.....can see why the English conquered the world...