PDA

View Full Version : Queer London

July 30th, 2006, 06:02
You don't have to be British to enjoy reading "Queer London: Perils and Pleasurers in the Sexual Metropilis, 1918-1957" (Matt Houlbrook, University of Chicago Press, 2005). A lecturer at the University of Liverpool, Houlbrook takes a scholarly approach to describing how gay culture evolved in the 20th century. Of particular interest is the venues that went in and out out favor. The art of street cruising was perfected along with the the ability to improvise public (parks, urinals) and private (cinemas, bars) spaces.

July 30th, 2006, 09:54
Does he mention my name? I started cruising in London in 1957 (age 13) - mind you, according to boygeenyus all the men I had sex with over the next few years were paedophiles

July 30th, 2006, 17:28
Does he mention my name? I started cruising in London in 1957 (age 13) - mind you, according to boygeenyus all the men I had sex with over the next few years were paedophiles

If there's another word to describe adult men who seek out sex with barely pubescent boys, I'm unaware of it. Enlighten us, please.

July 30th, 2006, 18:19
As far as I can recall, the "seeking out" was all on my side

July 30th, 2006, 18:26
As far as I can recall, the "seeking out" was all on my side

You never can answer a question, can you? OK, I'll rephrase:

If there's a better word to describe an adult man who engages in sexual activities with a barely-pubescent boy, I'm unaware of it. Would you care to enlighten us?

July 30th, 2006, 19:55
If there's a better word to describe an adult man who engages in sexual activities with a barely-pubescent boy, I'm unaware of it. Would you care to enlighten us?Engages: Periodically? Preferentially? Just because it's available? On the spur of the moment? You're very fond of labels, I'm not sure whether it's because you're American or just stupid. I guess it makes a very complex world a simpler place for you to inhabit, which is why really stupid people like labels so much - it saves thinking. You inhabit a mental world where sex tourists are scum, sex offenders and drug dealers should be shot on sight (Thaksin must love people like you, and the feeling's probably mutual) but strangely enough the worst scourge of public health - nicotine - and those who deal in it bring forth ... dead silence (and I use the word "dead" intentionally)

However, since you're absolutely gagging for a label, try hebephile

July 30th, 2006, 19:59
"Does he mention my name? I started cruising in London in 1957..."

I'm sure you'll be able to recognize yourself. I believe that it's possible for every gay man to recognize himself at various points in the narrative as it moves about the city from Edgware Rd. to Wateroo.

July 31st, 2006, 00:03
Would you like my honest opinion on nicotine? I think it is a very addictive drug that is incredibly harmful for both users and anyone who shares the same air. I would support a complete ban on its sale and use, whether in public or private. Happy now?

As for the term "hebephile"...I assume you're not talking about an attraction to Jews. "Hebephile" is simply means an adult who is sexually attracted to the older range of children -- but children nevertheless. I'd call it a subset of the more common term "pedophile" or "pederast".

I'm curious, though: what do YOU, homi, think the age of consent should reasonably be? From your ramblings, can one assume that it should be 13 or under?

July 31st, 2006, 02:05
I'm curious, though: what do YOU, homi, think the age of consent should reasonably be? From your ramblings, can one assume that it should be 13 or under?Ultimately it's for any society to set its own rules and for individuals to choose whether to observe those rules or not. I've said it frequently enough, so you clearly haven't been listening - once they've grown their own welcome mat and have put it out (two conditions there). A teenage boy, cruising the beats of London of his own free will, clearly satisfies both conditions

Since however you complain that you don't know what I think and can never answer a question, I have set out my guiding principles via http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 5134#85134 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85134#85134). I'm guessing that the first one is far beyond your comprehension or experience - you certainly show no evidence of it in your posts

July 31st, 2006, 16:29
Interesting! So any child who has reached puberty and has sex voluntarily should be fair game? I think I read recently about a political party in the Netherlands which has the same sort of ideas.

July 31st, 2006, 18:25
Interesting! So any child who has reached puberty and has sex voluntarily should be fair game? I think I read recently about a political party in the Netherlands which has the same sort of ideas.It's interesting but not unexpected that you want to introduce emotive and therefore prejudicial language

July 31st, 2006, 18:28
Which part was "emotive"? The political party in question wants to lower the age of consent to 12. You'd agree with that, unless I misunderstand you? Or is the 13th birthday your magic cut-off date?

August 2nd, 2006, 16:02
Homie, not usually given to revealing his emotions, was mad.

That raving, obssessive pedantophile had gone too far this time.
Unlocking the gun cupboard, he took out the AK47 which a spurned katoey had sold him on the sly in Chiang Mai.
He disliked Americans, especially stupid ones named 'Boy'. It reminded him of the old Tarzan movies, where a prebuscent jungle brat has suspect relations with a chimpanzee, while at the same time resenting Tarzan's relationship with Jane.

Armed with his AK47, and six full magazines, he set forth in search of his prey.
As an afterthought, he grabbed a hand grenade which had been a souvenir of the last coup,
muttering, "Anal retentive, I'll show him anal retentive."

http://upload4.postimage.org/752825/Tarzan.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/752825/photo_hosting.html) Boy and Hero