PDA

View Full Version : The future of energy.

arsenal
September 6th, 2018, 19:06
This is the future and comparatively little environmental damage apart from a few seabirds stupid enough to play 'chicken' with a wind turbine propeller.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/06/worlds-largest-offshore-windfarm-opens-cumbrian-coast-walney-extension-brexit

paborn
September 6th, 2018, 20:03
My idiot president attacks the turbines as killers of birds - in "vast numbers" no less. Recent statistics, at least for the US, show that the number one killer of birds- by many times over- is domestic CATS!.

goji
September 7th, 2018, 02:57
In this future scenario, where do we get our electric from when the wind is not blowing ?

We frequently get situations where there is so little wind that total wind output is at less than 1% of it's theoretical capacity. Even if battery technology is improved drastically, it's hardly going to cover a week of calm weather in January.

We need to be making nuclear work as well.

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 09:34
My idiot president attacks the turbines as killers of birds - in "vast numbers" no less. Recent statistics, at least for the US, show that the number one killer of birds- by many times over- is domestic CATS!.I wonder if paborn learned that through his use of Flipboard - an App I recommended to him and for which recommendation he thanked me. Did I get that right or am I dreaming? Apparently I've spent all my time (when I'm not posting as my alter ego scottish-guy) beating him up since the moment he got here. Read this thread and figure it out for yourself

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20179-Narcissism-and-the-modern-Western-male/page2&highlight=Flipboard

arsenal
September 7th, 2018, 10:29
You're right about that Goji. However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed. In the UK the govt has decreed that all new cars must be electric by 2040. That means they need to produce a battery that not only can do the mileage but also be re-charged very quickly.

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 10:36
You're right about that Goji. However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed. In the UK the govt has decreed that all new cars must be electric by 2040. That means they need to produce a battery that not only can do the mileage but also be re-charged very quickly.The biggest issue with electric vehicles and battery technology generally is the pollution the batteries cause when they being replaced. I remember consulting to a local government once where we did a "Total Environmental Cost" evaluation for the new vehicles council proposed adding to their fleet. We came up with one particular vehicle make based on precisely that sort of factor. The mayor over-ruled the recommendation and went for a Prius because "visibly it would send the right message"

https://energystorageforum.com/news/energy-storage/energy-storage-systems-facing-battery-recycling-disposal-crisis

paborn
September 7th, 2018, 20:17
You're right about that Goji. However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed. In the UK the govt has decreed that all new cars must be electric by 2040. That means they need to produce a battery that not only can do the mileage but also be re-charged very quickly.

Arsenal. before the usual culprits point out the current issue with batteries let me add my two cents. There are problems with long storage capacity, there are huge environmental concerns with disposal ( just like unused medicines ) but you wrote "However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed" I'm sure they will gloss over that.
When I started in consulting my "mobile" phone was the size of a school lunch box with a full-sized handset attached. Why? Battery size. With need, however, batteries shrunk so much that everyone was competing to have the tiniest phone. Just before the iPhone came out my mobile was about 1/20 the size of the handle of my first mobile. All of this in a few years.
Batteries will have their place in the grid - just because the wind is calm in one place does not mean it is calm everywhere - there is a support grid over vast areas. Also within this grid, no one is suggesting that hydropower will end or that solar farms will not fill in.
Sorry for the long-winded post but what you said is so damn obvious.

arsenal
September 7th, 2018, 22:51
Plus of course within a few years solar panels will be the size of a bathroom mirror and every home in a country such as Thailand will have one.

paborn
September 8th, 2018, 00:10
You can already see that happening some NGOs have sponsoring small solar panels given to village homes in various countries - just enough for a light bulb and radio. The difference in the productivity and life, even the schooling of the children has a remarkable boost from the extended hours.

latintopxxx
September 9th, 2018, 05:33
but that n itself creates a problem, if all the country folk become educated where is the next crop of cute dumb money boys gonna come from???

paborn
September 9th, 2018, 06:43
I know, but I'm old and progress is slow.

frequent
September 9th, 2018, 07:16
but that n itself creates a problem, if all the country folk become educated where is the next crop of cute dumb money boys gonna come from???Country living, education and poverty don't have a direct link to prostitution. As a447 can possibly confirm, in Japan - a rich, educated country - there is a thriving urban subculture of schoolgirls prostituting themselves for extra pocket money (https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/underage-and-exploited-how-schoolgirls-are-lured-into-japan-s-jk-7564724) (not sure about schoolboys)

StevieWonders
September 9th, 2018, 09:04
I wonder if paborn learned that through his use of Flipboard - an App I recommended to him and for which recommendation he thanked me. Did I get that right or am I dreaming? Apparently I've spent all my time (when I'm not posting as my alter ego scottish-guy) beating him up since the moment he got here. Read this thread and figure it out for yourself

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20179-Narcissism-and-the-modern-Western-male/page2&highlight=Flipboard

Seriously??

paborn
September 9th, 2018, 21:39
Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
I wonder if paborn learned that through his use of Flipboard - an App I recommended to him and for which recommendation he thanked me. Did I get that right or am I dreaming? Apparently I've spent all my time (when I'm not posting as my alter ego scottish-guy) beating him up since the moment he got here. Read this thread and figure it out for yourself

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...ight=Flipboard
Seriously??

Yes, seriously. One of my many efforts to be civil and be able to post without discord and attack. I failed, in that, as there are a few people here who can't or won't respond to simple civility.

a447
September 9th, 2018, 22:33
As a447 can possibly confirm, in Japan - a rich, educated country - there is a thriving urban subculture of schoolgirls prostituting themselves for extra pocket money (https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/underage-and-exploited-how-schoolgirls-are-lured-into-japan-s-jk-7564724) (not sure about schoolboys)

Yes. It's called "enjou kousai" in Japanese and translates as "compensated dating."

A typical Japanese way of getting around something they find awkward.

latintopxxx
September 10th, 2018, 00:43
yes, in the west its also called "rewards". But im sure those jap ladies arent getting compensated BHT1000 only....so please stop trying to rescue the uneducated masses

frequent
September 10th, 2018, 05:56
Yes, seriously. One of my many efforts to be civil and be able to post without discord and attack. I failed, in that, as there are a few people here who can't or won't respond to simple civility.Cognitive dissonance
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance)

frequent
September 10th, 2018, 06:17
....so please stop trying to rescue the uneducated massesNoblesse oblige

a447
September 10th, 2018, 07:06
But im sure those jap ladies arent getting compensated BHT1000 only....so please stop trying to rescue the uneducated masses

Yes, much more than 1000 baht.

They usually drop into Louis Vuitton on the way to the love hotel.

And I'm not in the business of saving anyone who is on the game.

frequent
September 11th, 2018, 06:00
Yes. It's called "enjou kousai" in Japanese and translates as "compensated dating." A typical Japanese way of getting around something they find awkward.And the schoolboys, rather than schoolgirls?

goji
September 12th, 2018, 04:35

Government diktats do not mean problems will be solved. Governments don't invent anything and almost by definition, tend to be stuffed dull of political types who don't know how the economy works and are basically incompetent.

What you need is technical feasibility and the right economic conditions to facilitate innovation & investment.

I expect there might be batteries that can cope with short term fluctuations. However, batteries that can keep the country running for about 10 days when we have hardly any wind seem like a long way off.

arsenal
September 12th, 2018, 04:41
I'm not suggesting the government will do it. The car companies and the energy companies will. 22 years is a vast period in technology terms.

frequent
September 12th, 2018, 05:34
Government diktats do not mean problems will be solved. Governments don't invent anything and almost by definition, tend to be stuffed dull of political types who don't know how the economy works and are basically incompetent.Thank you Donald Trump