PDA

View Full Version : How diverse is the Board?

frequent
September 6th, 2018, 11:36
Some interesting stats for the first few days in September - threads started (excluding this one)

Gay Thailand - 7 new threads (just over one per day on average)
Gay World - 1 new thread
Everything Else - 6 new threads (one per day on average)

Starters:
Bert, gaydenmark, riverdee, Maxwell, Dimsumbear, cdnmatt, scottish-guy (1 thread each); arsenal (2 threads); frequent (5 threads)

I'll leave the qualitative assessment to others as it's arguably a subjective one.

Among the noticeable absentees - posters who persist in claiming the Board is moribund or that people are fearful of posting because of the "atmosphere". A clinical triage of the tone of some of their posts I'll also leave to others. Were I Moses I'd be pretty happy at the diverse level of activity here

Moses
September 6th, 2018, 12:21
I'm happy with another statistic: we got 32 new members in August, they wrote 36 new posts.

arsenal
September 6th, 2018, 12:33
Compared to the other gay boards this one is a buzzing hive of activuty. Good, bad, ugly and indifferent. But then the leeway granted here is vast whereas the other two are like North Korea in their control of posting. Something those who scream when a post gets moved should remember.

frequent
September 6th, 2018, 13:07
... the other two are like North Korea in their control of posting.Iran under the Ayatollahs is what I've heard but I'll gladly accept the North Korea analogy

cdnmatt
September 6th, 2018, 14:46
Oh yeah, very diverse.

We have some old gay white guys there, more old gay white guys over there, plus some other old white gay guys in that direction. Oh, there's a black guy over there. Then some more old gay white dudes, and oh look, a blind 37 year old there, and I think I see another black guy. Oh, and then some more old gay white guys.

Yep, very diverse if you ask me.
I think you may have accidentally chose the wrong word, but SGT is anything but "diverse".

frequent
September 6th, 2018, 15:07
I think you may have accidentally chose the wrong word, but SGT is anything but "diverse".No, I'm not racist or ageist so I don't focus on racial profiling or the presumed age of our members. It is diverse in its interests and its opinions and the number of people who contribute - yourself among them. Some posters claim it's a monoculture, where two or three people with the loudest voices bully everyone else and shut them up. This survey suggests otherwise and my choice of word was deliberate

Speaking of profiling, did you ever see Dame Edna's interview of KD Lang?

Nirish guy
September 6th, 2018, 15:44
It IS diverse as I'm fairly sure that we have fuckers and fuckees, suckers and those who will only be sucked, butterflies and lovers, kissers and fisters and just about everything in between - I mean how much more can we except on a gay board ! oh, perhaps women I guess......but PLEASE, lets not go THERE eh as that really would be the kiss of death ! :)

frequent
September 6th, 2018, 16:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7HLqOgM20 - KD Lang & Dame Edna Everage

francois
September 6th, 2018, 16:23
Some posters claim it's a monoculture, where two or three people with the loudest voices bully everyone else and shut them up.

"Thou sayest it"! Pontius Pilate

arsenal
September 6th, 2018, 16:51
Francois' post is clearly off topic You only get one piece of Gateaux Paris Brest as penance.

francois
September 6th, 2018, 23:24
Sorry, arsenal, Francois' post is absolutely on topic and you understand.:devilsh:

arsenal
September 7th, 2018, 00:12
Yes. In a change of policy you get the whole dessert trolley. Haha.

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 07:54
Matt's post is an extreme example of cognitive bias; perhaps I should have posted a Trigger Warning (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trigger%20warning) - very popular among snowflake entitled millennials so I hear. "Diversity" has, well, diverse applications, it's not all about people other than old white men. A article perhaps Matt might benefit from has recently been published in The Atlantic, all about cognitive bias - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/09/cognitive-bias/565775/

cdnmatt
September 7th, 2018, 08:18
I don't know much, but I do know when a bunch of old, rich white guys in the Senate decide to draft legislation in secret behind closed doors, a little more diversity would probably yield a better outcome for the country.

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 08:48
I don't know much ...Self-evidently true

... but I do know when a bunch of old, rich white guys in the Senate decide to draft legislation in secret behind closed doors, a little more diversity would probably yield a better outcome for the country.Actually you don't know that at all, it's an opinion

cdnmatt
September 7th, 2018, 10:16
I'm pretty sure history has proven my point on that one.

If old rich dudes were actually the way forward for a better world, then we'd still be running around with Kings who actually held power.

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 10:38
I'm pretty sure history has proven my point on that one. If old rich dudes were actually the way forward for a better world, then we'd still be running around with Kings who actually held power.No, it has proven nothing of the sort. It's a reasonable inference on the balance of probabilities but that isn't proof

arsenal
September 7th, 2018, 10:44
Well Matt looking at the history of the very few genuinely democratic countries, most of them have been run by rich old "dudes" for most of the time. And actually they've done rather well compared to all the others.

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 11:08
Well Matt looking at the history of the very few genuinely democratic countries, most of them have been run by rich old "dudes" for most of the time. And actually they've done rather well compared to all the others.I’m very interested in hearing Matt expand on his second paragraph

francois
September 7th, 2018, 16:56
"Thou sayest it"! Pontius Pilate

Correction:

"Thou sayest it"

Jesus to Pontius Pilate

frequent
September 7th, 2018, 17:09
Correction:

"Thou sayest it"

Jesus to Pontius Pilate
Still wrong, francois - Luke 23:3 in the versions using older English is "Thou sayest" not "Thou sayest it". I'm guessing you think it means "You said it". In modern English it is usually rendered as "You have said so" or is otherwise a reference to the truth of what Pilate is saying. It's in response to Pilate's question "Are you the King of the Jews?" and therefore is an attempt to avoid the question, not admit to it. However, keep up the good work - and I'm happy to be acknowledged as the Supreme Ruler of the Universe

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2018, 17:34
I'm happy to be acknowledged as the Supreme Ruler

A relation of yours perhaps ?? ....

arsenal
September 7th, 2018, 18:43
Jacqueline Pearce played Servalan, The Supreme Commander in Blake's Seven. A ruthless know-it-all with a nice line in cynicism. She and Frequent have quite a lot in common. Haha.

DoubleDutch
September 7th, 2018, 18:51
You are upset with the board, that's all you had to say for few years now, nothing of substance, nothing interesting, nothing entertaining, nothing funny, just endless whining.

Just re read your latest post below, what if all of Sawadtee were people like you? You self righteous, boring man! Who do you think is supposed to entertain you here, who have to keep this board alive, if not board members like you? Yet you bithch and whine like a baby, you and your automatic 'like' generators paborn and boibsaigon. GTFO, or start having something to say.

Correction:

"Thou sayest it"

Jesus to Pontius Pilate

arsenal
September 7th, 2018, 19:45
Assuming you're here long enough Scottish Guy will now hurumph up to you all snorty and indignant and want to be your friend. A worse punishment it's hard to imagine. He'll come soon.

Moses
September 7th, 2018, 20:18
DoubleDutch, one more stupid action and you will leave forum forever.

This is a moderator's remark. Do not respond to it to avoid additional complications.

francois
September 8th, 2018, 00:09
Still wrong, francois - Luke 23:3 in the versions using older English is "Thou sayest" not "Thou sayest it".

I was quoting from the King James version of the Bible. I know what the term means.

francois
September 8th, 2018, 00:13
You are upset with the board, that's all you had to say for few years now, nothing of substance, nothing interesting, nothing entertaining, nothing funny, just endless whining.

Obviously DoubleDutch you have been on this forum under some other guise for a long time. What happened? Were you barred? Most of your previous posts are also disparaging of posters, so not surprised with your latest rant. :devilsh:

paborn
September 8th, 2018, 00:20
I was quoting from the King James version of the Bible. I know what the term means.

Luke 23:3 King James Version (KJV)

3 And Pilate asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answered him and said, Thou sayest it.

Now, why would anyone posting on a forum, helping with questions and concerns, go to the "older English" versions to try and prove someone else to be wrong.... oh, yeah, I forgot.

paborn
September 8th, 2018, 00:22
Obviously DoubleDutch you have been on this forum under some other guise for a long time. What happened? Were you barred? Most of your previous posts are also disparaging of posters, so not surprised with your latest rant. :devilsh:

From what I can see the only thing inaccurate here is the single word "most" - but then Francois is renowned for his amiable good manners.

frequent
September 8th, 2018, 04:50
From what I can see the only thing inaccurate here is the single word "most" - but then Francois is renowned for his amiable good manners.As of one of his recent set of posts I think we can describe his activity as being on Persiflage Patrol

frequent
September 8th, 2018, 05:15
I was quoting from the King James version of the Bible.And quite right too, francois. That's the language that is used in Heaven after all - none of this modern English folderol

Dalewood
September 15th, 2018, 20:04
I don't know much, but I do know when a bunch of old, rich white guys in the Senate decide to draft legislation in secret behind closed doors, a little more diversity would probably yield a better outcome for the country.

As long as it is done in secret, it is going to be bad regardless of the diversity of the drafters.