View Full Version : Sending belongings/heavy stuff from Thailand to UK - Help?

July 28th, 2006, 19:46
My boyfriend is moving to live with me in the UK soon. I have suggested he sends his CD's DVD's etc and some of his clothes to the UK ahead of time. ANy info on the best and cheapest way for him to do this?

Cheers!

bao-bao
July 28th, 2006, 20:40
There have been occasions when I've passed on a couple of things at "JJ" market because I had no idea how to get it home safely or without paying far too much.

You might try doing a search in the archived posts for info on shipping out of Thailand. I confess I haven't done a search for it myself so I can't guarantee results, but there's a metric ton of info available there.

If some knowledgeable member would care to share some tried-and-true tips or modes I'd appreciate it, also.

July 28th, 2006, 22:19
There was a shipping place on the right just before you get to Big C. I think it was either a FEDX or a DHL shipper. Not sure it is still there but you can also do a google search for shippers and there locations. I hope he has already spent some time in the UK as it can get expensive if he has to ship things back to LOS.

July 28th, 2006, 22:54
During one of my travels in BKK, I found myself with a suitcase filled with winter clothes. I shipped these back to the USA via DHL, and the minimum charge was about $100.

Dick
July 29th, 2006, 05:58
I would suggest he send them air freight, but described as personal effects.
You want a freight forwarder in the UK with a subsidiary or pukka agent in Bangkok, who regularly ships between the two. Then you will get a much cheaper 'consolidated' freight rate, and if one of the bigger forwarders here in UK, e.g. Exel, they will have their own customs bond, which will eliminate potentially high airline storage charges. Follow this line, and you can pay it all collect too.
Upside: There should be no duty. Downside: The 'minimum' charge is likely to be based on around 25Kg, but I imagine he will have 2+ suitcases so that figure will be topped anyway.
As airfreight, the Customs clearance fee, airline handline, and local delivery to your address is likely going to total around ┬г80. As personal effects for someone entitled to live here, and making that visit, duty should be zero. Best he time the sending so that he will be here in UK when the stuff arrives for customs clearance.
Forget couriers. The cost will be prohibitive for the weights involved.

wowpow
July 29th, 2006, 07:41
You could consider removing the boxes (jewelcases) from CDs and DVDs and just taking the discs and the paper cover. You can buy new cases quite cheaply.

July 29th, 2006, 10:50
If he is sending things to the UK ahead of time, you may wish to consider sending them 'overland' through the postal office. OK, this can take an eternity depending on when ships dock at Thai ports and in the past I have been told to expect arrival anytime within two to three months. If expense is an issue, this was definitely the cheapest way i sent stuff to the UK - just make sure everything is packed water-tight and securely.

Boxer
July 31st, 2006, 17:45
Semi related to this thread - I had a quote to bring stuff out to Thailand from UK this Summer and DHL said ┬г250 for 20 Kilo like a suitcase! Cost on weight and size. Copy all music to a Dvd disc or Ipod and forget the rest is my advice. Travel Business and get 33 kilo and 14 kilo hand luggage. Excess air freight on Emirates is high on UK Dubai at ┬г25 p kilo but half cost on Dubai Bkk.┬г8 p kilo.