PDA

View Full Version : Will

gerefan2
August 29th, 2018, 06:10
Anyone help with some advice?

I live in the UK but spend about 4 months per year in Thailand.

I am about to re-write my will and want to include boy special, just a small percentage, not the house and everything included!

I do not intend to make a will in Thailand as all my financial interests are in the UK.

Any ideas? Just include him like anyone else? Would the lawyers get hold of him by phone or facebook?!

He has a family in Esaan but like most he comes from a small village and sending a letter there would be difficult.

frequent
August 29th, 2018, 06:28
Anyone help with some advice? I live in the UK but spend about 4 months per year in Thailand. I am about to re-write my will and want to include boy special, just a small percentage, not the house and everything included! I do not intend to make a will in Thailand as all my financial interests are in the UK. Any ideas? Just include him like anyone else? Would the lawyers get hold of him by phone or facebook?! He has a family in Esaan but like most he comes from a small village and sending a letter there would be difficult.Why not simply instruct your executor to deposit the amount direct into his bank account, including the details in your Will itself? Most bank/wire transfers allow for a message to be sent with the transfer. Even if you have a bank account with a small balance in it in Thailand that constitutes an asset that can only be disposed of (formally) via a Thai Will

Mancs
August 29th, 2018, 06:49
An additional note to the Executors with contact details, like a facebook name and anything else that is useful is a method to consider. Advice I have read is not to inform anyone in Asia that a will exists or a bequest may be made. One does not want to invite an early passing.

StevieWonders
August 29th, 2018, 07:10
Why not simply instruct your executor to deposit the amount direct into his bank account, including the details in your Will itself? Most bank/wire transfers allow for a message to be sent with the transfer. Even if you have a bank account with a small balance in it in Thailand that constitutes an asset that can only be disposed of (formally) via a Thai WillGreat advice.

mahjongguy
August 29th, 2018, 07:48
"An additional note to the Executors with contact details"

Name in Thai and English alphabets
Thai ID number
Thai passport number (if any)
Address in Thai language where he is registered (blue book)
His Thai bank, branch address, account name and number

arsenal
August 29th, 2018, 08:34
No capitalisation needed for 'will' frequent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_and_testament

Nirish guy
August 29th, 2018, 15:23
"An additional note to the Executors with contact details"

Name in Thai and English alphabets,Thai ID number,Thai passport number (if any),Address in Thai language where he is registered (blue book),His Thai bank, branch address, account name and number

All good advice, but I guess the problem is how do you go about getting all that info ( unless you're very sneaky and do it over a period of months perhaps) without letting the guy know the reason for your enquiry as to same. Of course the logical answer to that is that if you're actually thinking of leaving something to the guy then it's probably fair to assume that you already trust and like him enough for it not to be a problem in being open and honest about your plans, however I think for me personally I think I'd also be wanting to be sure he noted the ( low) amount of the transaction intended so that if not he but some broke relative upon hearing on his lottery ticket didn't decide to hurry on your demise to cash in their 'winnings" perhaps !?

Always a difficult question to address and one that I've pondered myself over the years and I'm glad to see it raised and being discussed openly on the board. Maybe with any luck this IS a topic we can maybe keep on track for a while perhaps due to it's levity ?!

Oh one other thing I've often wondered about was in the case of me UK solicitor not being able to find or verify said boy to suggest to him that he could ( or definitely should NOT ??!!) use a Thai lawyer to find the boy, but after hearing so many horror stories there too about Thai lawyers scamming the hell out of all concerned to line their own pockets I wonder is that considered a good idea or not too !?

NitNoi
August 29th, 2018, 15:34
For most of our "friends" a lump sum legacy will not last long. I have instructed my executor to remit a significant sum monthly for five years - conditional on my not dying suspiciously.

Nirish guy
August 29th, 2018, 15:48
Not to comment on your personal choices there Nitnoi - but I'd suggested something similar as a possible option to my own solicitor and he was quite negative about the idea for the reasons that it left HIM to decide what was and what wasn't a natural death ( aside from any legal process) and also he admitted to me that his costs to administer same would be high as he would have to keep my file open for the 5 plus years to ensure all was successfully carried out as to my wishes and informed me in no uncertain manner that he WOULD be charging my estate accordingly. He also commented ( in as polite a way as he could) that a) I was dead so what did I care how quickly the money was spent and b) once the money was handed over it was no longer any of my business how it was spent and that I was wrong to try and micro manager someone else life / spending after my death ( rightly or wrongly or even if being done for what I perceived were valid reasons).

Again the above is no slant on your own decisions there Nitnoi, just my guys view on a very similar conversation I'd have with him - oh and one other thing that concerned ME was that my solicitor is a BRETHREN ( born again Christian type) and I'd just have a niggling fear that once I was gone he'd find SOME reason NOT to pay some back Country Thia boy due to the my "sudden death" and end up donating his monies to some local charity here instead ( or his bloody local church funds as nothing would surprise me with bloody born again Christians !)

mahjongguy
August 29th, 2018, 15:54
"I have instructed my executor to remit a significant sum monthly for five years - conditional on my not dying suspiciously. "

I'm wondering how you mean the word executor in your case. In the States an executor is the person accepted by the probate judge to execute the stipulations of the will and then report back (usually the following year) to the judge and request that probate be closed. From that day forward he or she is no longer the executor.

Perhaps it is the case that in your state the gross assets of the estate fall below the requirement to probate the will. If so, then the person handling your affairs can set aside the amount needed for the extended payments.

In either case, court-approved executor or simply friend/relative acting informally, SWIFT transfers require a lot of info about the recipient. Western Union goes mostly by name but the recipient needs to be contacted first and given a PIN number.

Maybe your will should stipulate an alternative heir for that amount if he hasn't been in recent contact. To me, that seems fair enough.

bobsaigon2
August 29th, 2018, 16:40
My situation is perhaps a little different. I sold my homes in the US and just keep an amount on deposit there in the unlikely event that I would choose to be medevaced, at a cost of 25-50K, to spend the last weeks of my life in an American hospital. As far as I can see, that is not going to happen as long as I am compos mentis. I am going to leave the world much more economically here in Vietnam. The money remaining in the States will to go to my sisters.

Here in Vietnam, my partner of 18 years is the legal owner of the five properties that I have purchased and has the entry code to the safe in which we keep a substantial amount of dollars (not trusting the local banks whose directors and managers are routinely prosecuted for theft and mismanagement). So there would be no incentive for him to assist me in a “fall” from our sixth floor balcony.

Would he fritter away his (relative) fortune after I’m gone? I tend to agree with Nirish’s solicitor that it would be wrong to try and micro-manage someone else’s life/spending after my death. At that time, my partner will note that there are no more monthly deposits coming into his account from the US and it is up to him to figure out how the property and cash should best be used for the remaining 25-30 years of his life.

Oliver2
August 29th, 2018, 17:11
My biggest concern is ensuring that the money in my will that I've left my boyfriend is transferred as quickly as possible. I don't know what it's like elsewhere but here in the UK even an straightforward will can take a year. And that's before taking into account an international transfer. That's why I've set-up an account in Thailand for him in his name.
The issue for me is not a slow decline which gives me time to sort of my affairs but a sudden, unexpected death..

paborn
August 29th, 2018, 20:33
"but here in the UK even an straightforward will can take a year. "

I'm in no position to doubt you, but - seriously - a year??? My will, power of attorney, living will, etc. Drawn up in a week in the US. Even looped in my Wealth Manager and provisions for my cat. A year?

NitNoi
August 29th, 2018, 21:56
Winding up an estate takes time if there is real estate to sell. A father and son were receiving remittances every month from a sponsor who was too frail to visit. When he died, the money stopped. While I made requests on their behalf for the $5,000 each that was in the will, the executor waited till the estate was finalized before making any distributions.
My executor is family and will act promptly to honour my promise. Leaving it in the hands of lawyers is probably not a good idea.

Oliver2
August 29th, 2018, 22:32
To clarify, Paborn, the paying-out of a will can take a year here in the UK although the drawing-up of one is quick and easy. In my case, my house will need to be sold before payment is made. That, in itself , is a slow process, or can be. One year is the best I -or rather he-can hope for. Hence the need for money to be available in Thailand itself.

paborn
August 29th, 2018, 22:47
Got it. I thought you meant the drawing up of a will. In the US I settled my father's very quickly - as long as there is a will it's very simple.

Nirish guy
August 29th, 2018, 23:21
.....as long as there is a will it's very simple.

Where there's a will there's a way eh ! :)

frequent
August 30th, 2018, 04:28
To clarify, Paborn, the paying-out of a will can take a year here in the UK although the drawing-up of one is quick and easy. In my case, my house will need to be sold before payment is made. That, in itself , is a slow process, or can be. One year is the best I -or rather he-can hope for. Hence the need for money to be available in Thailand itself.Which is why various national authorities allow periods of three to five years to "settle" a deceased estate

Diec
August 30th, 2018, 07:35
I don't understand why one has to die before giving his Honey Bunch money. Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live) and this way both of you can enjoy his happiness with your money while you're still alive?

mahjongguy
August 30th, 2018, 11:13
"Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live) "

I think that's only applicable to ex-pats with long-term full-time partners here.

frequent
August 30th, 2018, 11:46
I don't understand why one has to die before giving his Honey Bunch money. Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live) and this way both of you can enjoy his happiness with your money while you're still alive?When you see what he spends it on you may change your mind about giving him any more

cdnmatt
August 30th, 2018, 12:02
I don't understand why one has to die before giving his Honey Bunch money. Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live) and this way both of you can enjoy his happiness with your money while you're still alive?

Can you give me all your excess money now? I promise to take you around the world on some nice trips.

WTF are you on about?

frequent
August 30th, 2018, 12:06
Can you give me all your excess money now? I promise to take you around the world on some nice trips.I'm looking for some crowd-funding to get me out of my cold water, walk up flat in Swansea

gerefan2
August 30th, 2018, 13:40
I'm looking for some crowd-funding to get me out of my cold water, walk up flat in Swansea

Now that would explain everything...

frequent
August 30th, 2018, 14:10
Now that would explain everything...Yes, my location was "outed" recently. My hopes of staying in the location closet were in vain

frequent
August 30th, 2018, 14:41
One more thing your boyfriend could do with your money - pay off some debts (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-economy-debt/as-debt-levels-rise-more-thais-struggle-to-keep-up-idUSKCN1LF0CQ)

scottish-guy
August 30th, 2018, 15:09
...Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live)...

Doesn't really work unless you currently have a terminal diagnosis, a crystal ball, or are planning to commit harakiri on a certain date, does it?

snotface
August 30th, 2018, 16:20
WTF are you on about?

Dear old Diec is definitely what might be called an acquired taste. He makes an occasional appearance here to disconcert complacent board members, much in the manner of Coleridge's ancient mariner, who used to accost unsuspecting wedding guests ('Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!') with his tale of woe. Diec is, shall we say, somewhat cynical by nature and especially where Thai young man/elderly farang relationships are concerned. In fact, he makes all other board cynics look like Mary Poppins. Reread his post and you might just detect his extremely rarefied brand of cynicism. Naturally, it never made him popular here, though I find a certain creepy charm in his posts, a corrective to the worst excesses of farang optimism and benevolence.

frequent
August 30th, 2018, 16:51
Dear old Diec is definitely what might be called an acquired taste. He makes an occasional appearance here to disconcert complacent board members, much in the manner of Coleridge's ancient mariner, who used to accost unsuspecting wedding guests ('Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!') with his tale of woe. Diec is, shall we say, somewhat cynical by nature and especially where Thai young man/elderly farang relationships are concerned. In fact, he makes all other board cynics look like Mary Poppins. Reread his post and you might just detect his extremely rarefied brand of cynicism. Naturally, it never made him popular here, though I find a certain creepy charm in his posts, a corrective to the worst excesses of farang optimism and benevolence.A highly developed sense of the ridiculous does not make a cynic. But it’s an acquired taste I know - it outrages many members here

christianpfc
August 30th, 2018, 19:43
Where there's a will there's a way eh ! :)

Where there's a will (in favor of the Thai boy), there will be a fatal accident (of the Farang).

No personal experience, but this subject has been discussed before and someone mentioned that there will be a huge pressure on the boy to distribute the windfall among his family/friends/village/district/province.

scottish-guy
August 30th, 2018, 20:25
...Where there's a will (in favor of the Thai boy), there will be a fatal accident (of the Farang)...

You have just broken the SGT Hyperbole Meter

Eddie
September 1st, 2018, 10:00
Where there's a will (in favor of the Thai boy), there will be a fatal accident (of the Farang.

As mosts farangs are already accidents of nature, all it takes for that fatal stroke is a little push. :D

gerefan2
September 1st, 2018, 13:23
One or two ideas for me to think about, so thanks for that.

However it has occurred to me that there might be a limit on the amount of money that my lawyer can send abroad? Similar to the £10K that I can take on holiday.

Anyone know of such a limit being sent from the UK?

And would it be apply a bank transfer as some have suggested?

frequent
September 1st, 2018, 13:39
One or two ideas for me to think about, so thanks for that. However it has occurred to me that there might be a limit on the amount of money that my lawyer can send abroad? Similar to the £10K that I can take on holiday. Anyone know of such a limit being sent from the UK? And would it be apply a bank transfer as some have suggested?There are reporting limits - £10K sounds about right - but they are there to pinpoint money-laundering. There is no effective limit on transferring amounts for individuals as far as I am aware, as this article sets out (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/financial-services/currency-exchange/international-money-transfers/sending-money-overseas-laws/). I understand "the £10K that I can take on holiday" is a notional limit that's there for reporting for money-laundering. You can take as much as you like when you go on holiday; if it's over £10K then you must report it

However, asking your bank manager is probably a better idea than asking an anonymous bunch of ageing sodomites

Nirish guy
September 1st, 2018, 16:18
However, asking your bank manager is probably a better idea than asking an anonymous bunch of ageing sodomites

Are you SURE ? have you BEEN in your / any bank lately ? Have you actually managed to actually FIND a bank manager and if so one that has ANY idea what actually goes on out there in the banking world anymore, unfortunately now it seems the the local manager in most banks has been reduced to something more akin to an office manager / HR overseer rather than a knowledgeable banking professional, who like in the old days could actually talk to you and make decisions about extending credit and such like.

Now days it appears that their role is more to fill in and complete the banks pre-supplied pro forma form to be returned by them to the banks "credit committee" for just about any decision over say a £500 overdraft allocation - and perhaps not even THAT in the likes of Santander Bank here in the UK sometimes that now is them literally typing in your details and their " computer says no" ( or just sometimes yes) moment with damn all they can do about it !

This actually happened me not so long ago where I was in Santander opening a new account, whilst depositing a large sum ( well over 6 noughts) amount that ( unfortunately) was just resting / passing through my account and he automatically hit the button for their standard 500 overdraft facility ( that I hadn't even asked for) and "the computer said no" - and there was damn all he could do about it, it was that ridiculous we both just laughed and moved on - the reason his computer gave was it was a "new account" so they couldn't / wouldn't risk me defaulting on the £500 quid - I did then assure him IF I was intending to default I would make SURE that it would be on a MUCH higher figure than £500 quid ! :-)

As has been said above there is of course no limit on moving / carrying funds, it's just the requirement to disclose / report that's there. Also if for whatever you might choose NOT to disclose your solicitor could of course be advised to send a few £7500 payments over a few days / weeks until he reached the required amount.

frequent
September 1st, 2018, 16:54
Are you SURE ? have you BEEN in your / any bank lately ? Have you actually managed to actually FIND a bank manager and if so one that has ANY idea what actually goes on out there in the banking world anymore, unfortunately now it seems the the local manager in most banks has been reduced to something more akin to an office manager / HR overseer rather than a knowledgeable banking professional, who like in the old days could actually talk to you ....Do you enjoy having a rant?

pennyboy
September 1st, 2018, 16:57
Talking of old time bank managers I recall many years ago when I had just started a new job and the company bank manager invited me to visit his office for a chat followed by lunch. I duly arrived at 11.30 am and was immediately whisked off to a local hotel and as soon as he walked into the bar a large whisky was poured for him. Being a friendly sort of chap I said I would have the same . After 3 of these he could lift his drink with only one hand and as 2.00pm approached I enquired if lunch could be taken, We had lunch but I was the only one to eat anything. Sadly he was retired early shortly after.

Nirish guy
September 1st, 2018, 17:44
Do you enjoy having a rant?

You've obviously lived a very sheltered life if you thought that was a rant, that wasn't a rant it was conversation, but don't worry if you've nothing useful or constructive to add it's perfectly fine.

paborn
September 1st, 2018, 21:35
Nirish, your story reminds me of Matt's long discussion of "telex" and Laos. His "bank call center" did not know what it was/is - well, can you expect them to? A "banker" who has never heard of a WIRE TRANSFER ( which, in banking, is what the system was used for ) is not much of a banker. But, then that's your , very well taken, point.

frequent
September 2nd, 2018, 05:10
You've obviously lived a very sheltered life if you thought that was a rant, that wasn't a rant it was conversation, but don't worry if you've nothing useful or constructive to add it's perfectly fine.Great to see that you believe your post is a “useful or constructive” contribution to the OP’s quest, but certainly one your posting history could have predicted

Nirish guy
September 2nd, 2018, 08:09
Can you not read.....I've already told you.....my post was just a conversation, no more and no less..... Some people take ( their) posts WAY too seriously on here, it's the internet ffs, lighten up man :-)

frequent
September 2nd, 2018, 08:11
Can you not read.....I've already told you.....my post was just a conversation, no more and no less..... Some people take ( their) posts WAY too seriously on here, it's the internet ffs, lighten up man :-)Come on NIrish, why don't you remind us of your moral superiority as a small business owner, creating jobs for people. That's always good for a laugh

Nirish guy
September 2nd, 2018, 16:13
ohhh touched a nerve did i.....must have done when you've had to go back THAT far just to try and have a go...... you sad case. :) As I said above - lighten up, it's only the internet. you really should try and get out more.

PS it's businessES not business.....If you're going to try and have a silly poke do get it right dear ! :-)

frequent
September 2nd, 2018, 16:50
ohhh touched a nerve did i.....must have done when you've had to go back THAT far just to try and have a go...... you sad case. :) As I said above - lighten up, it's only the internet. you really should try and get out more.

PS it's businessES not business.....If you're going to try and have a silly poke do get it right dear ! :-)

Fabulous