PDA

View Full Version : Hotel in Chiang Mai

lukylok
August 26th, 2018, 18:21
Robbery and murder.

Some of the members stay at the Lotus Hotel in Chiang Mai when they visit the city.
It is one of the hotels where the robbery happened.
It appears that there is no one at the reception in the afternoon but a cleaning lady and undesirable guests may check in without giving their passport.

They may reconsider staying there.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1054431-hunt-on-for-chiang-mai-woman-after-drugged-robbed-tourist-dies/?utm_source=newsletter-20180826-0942&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Oliver2
August 26th, 2018, 21:03
Which Lotus Hotel is that? There are two in Chiang Mai; one is a a huge three-hundred room tourist place next to the Huay Kaew shopping centre and the other a small gay hotel of twelve or so rooms which has been there for many years.It is opposite Adam's Apple. The latter is, of course, the one that is popular with gay visitors.

paborn
August 26th, 2018, 21:32
Just a guess. But, woman with two different tourists. Probably not the gay hotel or their standards are slipping.

a447
August 26th, 2018, 21:38
The address seems to confirm that it's the Lotus Hotel opposite Adams Apple.

I'll be at there next month.

Although the incident there was unfortunate, it won't cause me to change hotels.

scottish-guy
August 27th, 2018, 00:16
...It appears that there is no one at the reception in the afternoon but a cleaning lady and undesirable guests may check in without giving their passport...]

I can tell you better than that - there is (was) no one at reception after a certain time of night until about 7am.

It was maybe around 11.30pm and I was bored in my room and decided to go for a stroll round the corner where there was an Internet Cafe - where I spent an hour or so. On returning the whole place was locked up and no-one answering the bell, nor was there any response to knocking on the door.

Exasperated, I went back to the internet cafe but when it closed about 2 or 3am and I was left to sit on the Lotus verandah with mosquitoes biting the hell out of me till the day shift opened up at 7am

lukylok
August 27th, 2018, 00:32
It is indeed the one in front of Adam's Apple.

Seeing how run down it is, I wouldn't stay there whatever the price.
If it is for the vicinity of Adam's Apple, the renovated Viangbua mansions is a much better option.

Manforallseasons
August 27th, 2018, 00:41
If it is for the vicinity of Adam's Apple, the renovated Viangbua mansions is a much better option.

Viangbua mansions....I stayed there for 10 days years back...nice serviced apartmemts....5 min.walk to Adam's Apple.
http://www.viangbua.chiangmai-online.com/

paborn
August 27th, 2018, 00:43
The address seems to confirm that it's the Lotus Hotel opposite Adams Apple.

I'll be at there next month.

Although the incident there was unfortunate, it won't cause me to change hotels.

Just don't bring back any shifty woman and I'm sure you'll be OK.

scottish-guy
August 27th, 2018, 01:46
... the renovated Viangbua mansions is a much better option.

Most SGT members are ordinarily resident in their own mansions and when on holiday may choose to 'slum it' in a hotel just for shits and giggles.

Asia Traveler
August 27th, 2018, 06:41
I do hope this will cause them to change their security policy. When I stayed there in June the front desk man was frequently sleeping in the floor behind the counter and I had to speak loudly to him to wake him up. Anyone could come and go with out notice. I also don’t like that they shut the doors around 03:00 to 07:00 or something like that leaving no staff on duty. They should rethink this policy.

cdnmatt
August 27th, 2018, 10:50
Been a long time since I was in Chiang Mai last, but it was mentioned it was recently renovated. In that case, I can recommend the Viangbua mansions as wel.

When I was there at least, was excellent, and couldn't beat it. Plus it's literally only about 100m down the street from Lotus hotel.

Eddie
August 28th, 2018, 13:52
Is this the Lotus Hotel that was part of the Adam's Apple complex? I thought it was closed down a few years ago?? My one & only experience at the Lotus wasn't a good one. Shower didn't work & toilet wouldn't flush and there were cigarette burns on the sheets. Better options elsewhere for the same price.

scottish-guy
August 28th, 2018, 14:48
If it's the same Lotus hotel (and I'm sure it is) it was opposite Adam's Apple (across the soi) rather than part of it, and had a small outdoor bar area

a447
August 28th, 2018, 14:59
If it's the same Lotus hotel (and I'm sure it is) it was opposite Adam's Apple (across the soi) rather than part of it, and had a small outdoor bar areayes, that's the one.

I've stayed there 3 times from memory and I never found reception unattended. And the room was ok, apart from one problem I encountered my last visit.

The room safe could not be unlocked. They sent up a guy with various keys and tools to unlock it, but to no avail. When I asked reception to call the manager, who had the master key, I was told he lived too far away and that I'd have to wait until the next day.

I later found out he lived 5 metres away, across the soi!

Eddie
August 28th, 2018, 16:06
If it's the same Lotus hotel (and I'm sure it is) it was opposite Adam's Apple (across the soi) rather than part of it, and had a small outdoor bar area

Yes, that's the one. I meant it was part of the same business or may be not. There's an outdoor bar which never seems to have any customers.

lukylok
August 28th, 2018, 16:43
It has nothing to do with Adam's Apple. It's on the other side of the street.

The bar : "Garden Bar" has a few customers having a drink or a coffee before going to Adam's. That's all.

The "manager" is the owner and lives in the buiding next door but the staff doesn't dare to disturb him.

Oliver2
August 28th, 2018, 17:26
Its glory days were in the 90s when I first visited. Adam's Apple was drawing a large crowd every night and had a fair share of twinks....where have they all gone? The punters included students from CMU who were sometimes cuter than the guys on stage. The Garden Bar would be busy before AA's typically late opening.
Lotus had different classes of rooms (no two were alike), ranging from basic and cheap to average and reasonably well-appointed....but not luxurious. I was happy there on the four or five occasions I stayed.
Once the old AA was no more, I stopped going to Lotus; travel into the centre of the city was always a problem and the two occasions I rented a car didn't help; I invariably ended-up doing multiple circuits of the one way system until I paid a tuk-tuk to lead me back to the hotel.

Manforallseasons
August 28th, 2018, 19:16
As mentioned in the above post Adam's Apple was something very special back in the day, in my opinion it was the best gogo in Thailand. The boys didn't just appear on the stage they were part of theme acts like a baseketball team or boyscouts...alot of nudity and chok wow.....usually a full house. Like so many other gay venues in Thailand it has declined as it has changed ownership and not unlike Bangkok and Pattaya the decline of gay venues is very obvious to the point that I was a 3 or 4 time a year visitor to Chiang Mai and now view it as a waste of time.

cdnmatt
August 28th, 2018, 23:48
Geez I'm getting old, I guess this would have been 10 years ago, I stayed in Chaing Mai for a few months.

Went to that Adam Apple's place a few times, and I don't know, but I didn't like it at all. I remember this one guy sat beside me, and started chatting me up. I just assumed he was a punter, maybe a manager, or just a friendly guy.

A few minutes into the chat, he proceeds to tell me he's a "boy". He looked like he was about 45.

francois
August 28th, 2018, 23:52
Went to Adams Apple 18 years ago and hated it. My friends loved it.

Asia Traveler
August 29th, 2018, 07:48
Was in Chiang Mai for one month in June. Stayed at Lotus Hotel and aside from the problem of the staff sleeping behind the front desk at night it was a good stay. I had the apartment suite. I was usually the only person in the hotel. Adams Apple was the best bar for me as they have a lot of pretty twinks. The boys are almost 100% gay for pay and tops. They are also not very sexually adventours so if you want to be fucked by a handsome young man you will be happy I think (I am not a bottom so I can not say for sure). If you are a top you are going to have a tough time. Other bars feature mostly macho muscle boys that are older and not so pretty. As far as getting around Chiang Mai use Grab Taxi. It is cheaper than a tuktuk and they are everywhere. You get a price before requesting a driver to come. If you sign up with your cc you pay via the app and no money changes hands with the driver. Also you are riding in an aircon car with a polite driver.

BonTong
September 2nd, 2018, 15:16
Just reading the story there is much that doesn't make sense. I'm assuming lukylok knows more about this from his sources as the article doesn't mention which hotel (though from the picture it is in Chang Puek Police district - I recognise one of the investigators :) and could well be the Lotus ) . Seems odd to have a woman in that hotel - ladyboy perhaps?

Lotus certainly used to have a 24 Hour reception. There was once a very handsome boy working there at night - used to ring the hotel and flirt with him sometimes in the middle of the night.:crazy_mini:

a447
September 2nd, 2018, 16:51
BonTong wrote:

There was once a very handsome boy working there....

Back in 2015 I posted this on my Chiang Mai report:

We got to the hotel and the first of today's 2 highlights was waiting for me ; the guy at reception is absolutely stunning!! Jesus! Just gorgeous!

I wonder if it's the same guy?

If it is, then all I can say is you have great taste, BonTong!

BonTong
September 2nd, 2018, 16:59
If you are a top you are going to have a tough time.

If you are a top, the bars in Cm are not where to look; Straight hill tribe and Burmese with a very limited repertoire. But, get on the app's and they are full of Thai bottoms just screaming out for cock. Blued is best.

goji
September 2nd, 2018, 17:14
The room safe could not be unlocked. They sent up a guy with various keys and tools to unlock it, but to no avail. When I asked reception to call the manager, who had the master key, I was told he lived too far away and that I'd have to wait until the next day.
I later found out he lived 5 metres away, across the soi!

Absolute disgrace. When the typical customer may be having overnight guests, it's essential to ensure the room safe is available.

Oliver2
September 2nd, 2018, 23:11
BonTong's post certainly struck a chord with me....I too wondered about the woman visitor. The "big" Lotus on the other hand, has different entrances and is next to a huge and busy shopping centre. It would seem a more likely place for the crime.

I'd want more details before casting the first stone at the gay Lotus. I recall the treatment meted-out to the Lavender Lanna, a short-lived gay hotel....and the tragic consequences of its demise.

lukylok
September 3rd, 2018, 16:24
Knowing the poor gent who was the victim, I can assure you that there is no doubt.
It is the Lotus in front of Adam's Apple.

And the owner, as far as I know, has not even been in touch with his customer.
Talk about service and hospitality !

BonTong
September 4th, 2018, 03:40
Knowing the poor gent who was the victim, I can assure you that there is no doubt.
It is the Lotus in front of Adam's Apple.
So what was he doing there with a "lady"? Only lady I ever saw at Lotus was the owner's housekeeper. 5555555 :mocking_mini:.

And the owner, as far as I know, has not even been in touch with his customer.
Talk about service and hospitality !
If the owner is in Thailand he spends most of his time upcountry. Not sure he actively manages anymore.

paborn
September 4th, 2018, 04:26
Bon Ton, that was my original reaction to the posted story:

"Just a guess. But, a woman with two different tourists. Probably not the gay hotel or their standards are slipping."

Now, I understand that the hotel in question is the Gay one - but, like you I wonder, "what the hell"/

Maxwell
September 4th, 2018, 16:49
If the owner is in Thailand he spends most of his time upcountry. Not sure he actively manages anymore.

Isn't Chiang Mai "upcountry"??

scottish-guy
September 5th, 2018, 01:59
You have to factor in the Thai pidgin english.

Maybe Bon Tong misheard - the owner is, or has turned str8, and now spends a lot of time "Up Cuntee"?

:drink:

sglad
September 6th, 2018, 21:53
Isn't Chiang Mai "upcountry"??

It is in relation to Bangkok but upcountry Chiang Mai could mean somewhere remote or in the mountains in relation to the city of Chiang Mai, which is the biggest and busiest city in the north of Thailand. It could even mean a neighbouring province, for example, Phayao, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son or Nan.

Bert
September 7th, 2018, 20:45
Viangbua appartments, never heard of it before, but on the website they seem quite nice.
No problem to take a visitor to the room there?

Manforallseasons
September 7th, 2018, 21:15
No problem!!

Bert
September 7th, 2018, 21:51
It looks that it's in the same street as Adam's apple...right?

Manforallseasons
September 7th, 2018, 22:27
It looks that it's in the same street as Adam's apple...right?

Yes less than a 5 minute walk.

Brad the Impala
September 8th, 2018, 04:58
I'd recommend the Mirror Building in Nimman area of Chiang May. Long stay and short stay rates. No issues with guests. Great coffee shop downstairs, 7-11 50 yards away and loads of good restaurants in the area. And excellent massage shop opposite.

Bert
September 8th, 2018, 14:31
Brad, the massage shop opposite the Mirror Building is a normal massage shop or gay (male) shop?

Brad the Impala
September 8th, 2018, 14:42
The shop opposite Mirror is called Miracle Massage and is a straight massage place with male and female workers. The massage is excellent, and you can ask for a male masseur, they are all gay, who may provide extras.

Bert
September 8th, 2018, 15:23
Do you remember what you paid in Mircale Massage? Nice guys?

colmx
October 14th, 2018, 20:49
according to this post on Travel Gay Asia the Lotus and Garden bar are now closed for renovations:
https://www.travelgayasia.com/venue/the-garden-bar/comment-page-1/#comment-36363

lukylok
November 20th, 2018, 17:26
The "lady" who drugged and robbed one farang and killed another has been arrested.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358920

Asia Traveler
September 15th, 2022, 02:15
Anyone have any updates on Chiangmai Hotels? Lotus and Club 17 both appear to be closed.

tom00xxx
October 20th, 2022, 01:01
Club one seven in chiang mai is open again

cdnmatt
October 20th, 2022, 03:48
It's been a long time, but I loved the Vingbua Mansion. It's just down the street from Lotus. Google it.

Armando
October 22nd, 2022, 10:03
I see PJ's Place guest house has reopened after the long covid closure. It has always been popular with gay guys. The rooms are large and comfortable, daily breakfast cooked to order is included and it is not very far from the gay area (although not walkable).

https://pjs-place.com/index.html

Khor tose
October 23rd, 2022, 01:37
I see PJ's Place guest house has reopened after the long covid closure. It has always been popular with gay guys. The rooms are large and comfortable, daily breakfast cooked to order is included and it is not very far from the gay area (although not walkable).

https://pjs-place.com/index.html

Two of the most outstanding hosts you will ever meet. You could pay less, but you won't find a nicer gay friendly (gay owned) place to stay in Chiang Mai.
Also, PJ's is close to everything. A short walk to the Maya Mall, Central Plaza Mall, and Nimmenhamen street. Very easy to find transportation, and great local places to dine.

tom00xxx
October 23rd, 2022, 15:30
If you're on a budget, the hostel rooms at club one seven are open again too now.

llz
October 24th, 2022, 02:50
When in Chiang Mai, I stick to Hotel Mercure near the provincial bus station. Large rooms, friendly prices, great staff, and within walking distance to the bars and some massage places. Not a lot of tourists, and free shuttle at night to and from Night Market.

Oliver2
October 24th, 2022, 13:22
We stayed there a few years ago. Like other CM hotels I could name, the lobby is grander than the rooms. But, as you say, convenient, and the staff were particularly friendly towards P and a friend of his who came to stay with us for a couple of days.

Excellent prices too, as I recall....I think we only paid £17 per room.

Nowadays, we prefer to stay closer to the Night Market and the Tapae Gate. Sometimes, tuk-tuks were in short supply in the area around the Mercure.

Moses
October 24th, 2022, 16:56
Iron 32 is brilliant boutique not expensive hotel near Nigh Market and "gay street" with few gay bars. Very gay friendly.

Armando
October 25th, 2022, 16:37
Iron 32 is brilliant boutique not expensive hotel near Nigh Market and "gay street" with few gay bars. Very gay friendly.
We visited that newish gay street at the end of 2019 just prior to covid. Thought the bars were pretty dreadful. A few freelancers around but all interested only in their mobile phones. Other patrons seemed mostly to be local expats happily chatting to their friends. Totally different vibe from the old Night Bazaar open air bars or even the long closed Yokka Dok and Soho Bars, One visit was enough. We didn't go back.