PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Lumphini's joiner's fee policy not applied

wowpow
July 28th, 2006, 12:22
I have it on good authorities - one Pinnacle taxi mafia, 1 porter and 1 agent that the Dreaded Joiner's Fee of 500 baht is currently not being applied at all. The situation is as previous and you can just walk in with a 'guest'.

TrongpaiExpat
July 28th, 2006, 18:19
Taxi Mafia? The hotel taxi crook or the motocy stand guys? I never use that motocy group, go up to Rama 4 and that group on the corner is generally half the price.

wowpow
July 28th, 2006, 18:26
I have become used to thinking of them as the taxi Mafia but now they are mostly reasonably decent. Mr Senee drives me often in an old but comfortable Volvo Bangkok - Pattaya Bt1300 inc. tolls. Yesterday took Mr. Donkey (very handsome) and Bt1400. Both are good careful drivers.

"I never use that motocy group, go up to Rama 4 and that group on the corner is generally half the price." Oh foolish Pai they are one and the same. The guys parked by the Pinnacle are the feed group for the motorcycle taxis on the corner of Rama IV - at both places prices are similarly "negotiable".[/i]

yaraboy
July 28th, 2006, 21:12
What about thew fat snarly one who used to charge 400 baht to airport including tolls then did not take toll highway. Happy to see he is now parked outside and is reduced to using his meter. I ignore him and get a street taxi

GWMinUS
July 29th, 2006, 08:06
Last year I paid 600B from the Airport in the Tartawan Limo.
Of course it was a Mercedes...
Still a rip off!!!

rincondog
July 29th, 2006, 08:35
Is there anyone who actually stayed at the Pinnacle and took a guest into the hotel who can verify the "authorities." I guess some peoples ideas of authorities on a subject may vary.

July 29th, 2006, 11:04
Still a rip off!!!

As I recall from my recent stay at the Tarntawan, the Mercedes now costs 700 baht from the airport. It appeared on my bill although I didn't use the service. As mentioned in the board previously, always go out to the taxi metre rank just outside the arrivals gate entrance, do not stop at the taxi touts milling around the arrivals hall, and get a metre taxi for a hundred/couple of hundred baht.

July 30th, 2006, 20:25
Avoid of the taxis (usually the same two or three) lined up outside the convenience store at the end of driveway leading to Tartawan Place. They will try to charge you inflated "farang" flat rates. If you insist on meter, you'll probably find that the meters run "fast."

The taxis trolling for fares along Silom Rd. in the direction of Rama IV are (as has been said before) reluctant to use meter and will quote farang flat rates about twice what the meter would run.

Do not expect taxi drivers to be able to read a map. The best strategy is to have your hotel (or other destination) address printed in advance in Thai.

July 30th, 2006, 21:58
Still a rip off!!!

Friends of mine stayed at the Tarntawan a few months ago and the cost of the airport limo is now 700 Baht.

Yes 700 Baht, but, much better if you are arriving to have a driver waiting for you in the departure hall holding a sign with you name on it, driving a reliable car and you knowing that you are not going to get the usual hassle otherwise of finding a decent car and the inevitable haggling with the driver.

Going back to the airport I would much rather pay 700 Baht, again knowing I was in a reliable car and going to get there on time that trying to find a car that as in many cases with Bangkok taxis are not that reliable,

For a couple of hundred Baht over the usual taxi prices you get peace of mind and comfort either way.

A business associate of mine was staying at the Tarntawan recently and needed to do two long days trips and booked the hotel car with Khun Dusit as the driver and was delighted with the driver. Khun Dusit speaks excellent English, a great sense of humour, a good safe driver and very helpful in helping with the language. So some of you may care to give him a try when you stay at the Tarntawan.

TrongpaiExpat
July 30th, 2006, 22:19
Going back to the airport I would much rather pay 700 Baht, again knowing I was in a reliable car and going to get there on time that trying to find a car that as in many cases with Bangkok taxis are not that reliable,

Yet, in my experience over many years of meter taxi rides, I have not once been in one that broke down and I have been in some pretty old cars over the years.

Some of the taxis on Surawong if they are moving are OK. The ones to avoid are those parked. I generally walk out to Rama 4 and pass on any taxi on either Silom or Surawong but if your coming out of the Tartawan with luggage, that's not an option.

piston10
July 31st, 2006, 04:52
On the many occasions when I have needed a taxi from the Tarntawan (with and without luggage) one of the two lovely doormen has gone out on to the street and negotiated with a driver that the meter shall be used. I imagine they call a taxi moving along Surawong, because they have never returned with one of the rogues who sit outside the hotel all day. Never had any problem with the drivers - and it's well worth a tip to the doorman.

July 31st, 2006, 07:03
Many times, I have arrived at the airport, and gone straight to the taxi meter queue for a taxi to a downtown hotel.
Never had a problem. Once the meter was not turned on, but on arriving at the hotel, the price asked was 300 B, about the usual anyway.

Taxis which hang around hotels are always more expensive. I avoid them always.

July 31st, 2006, 07:09
Did I miss something?

When did the Pinnacle charge this?

Certainly when I stayed at the Pinnacle in late May, I walked in with a guest on several occasions, no hassles came from staff.
The only change from previous visits was a request for ID cards and a visitor pass.

July 31st, 2006, 11:11
... (amongst many) about the Tarntawan is that upon arrival, you not only get complimentary drinks sent to your room but you also get a set of personalised business cards with your name and the details of the hotel in English and Thai (for use with any taxi drivers who do not speak 'foreigner').

I guess it is all a matter of choice as regards booking a hotel taxi in advance and having them ready and waiting as you leave the arrivals gate or queuing for a taxi. Personally, I do not mind walking that extra 30 metres and getting a metred taxi from the taxi-rank outside. I have never had a problem, never queued more than 30 seconds or so (as there are so many taxis) never a breakdown and have found many of the drivers chatty and friendly. The added benefit of course is that I saved a little money to boot.

As for flagging taxi's down on the street or taking up an offer from a stationary taxi, I have found the ones that are parked on the street are waiting in line not to take you to your chosen destination (that comes later) but to first take you to the Thai Information/Tourist Office where I believe they get a tip for bringing you. I find they also don't like to metre but state how much they will charge beforehand, usually over the top. If I get in a taxi and he states 'I take you to Thai Tourist Office' or 'I take you to good shopping', I now don't even bother trying to argue that I just want to go to my chosen destination (it's useless) I just get out and get the next taxi. The ones you flag down tend to be less of a problem and switch on the metre and whisk you away - of course, not knowing the streets of Bangkok I could be going in circles bumping up the fare, but that can happen anywhere.

August 1st, 2006, 02:10
To get a taxi from Tarntawan to the airport.. walk ACROSS the street and flag a meter cab down going towards RAMA 4.

From Pinnacle.. exit through the CARPARK.. and flag down a meter taxi.