PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate produce placement?

frequent
August 22nd, 2018, 13:36
I'm binge-watching Showtime's Billions at the moment and I'm fascinated by the blanket product placement by Apple. Everyone uses a Mac. Everyone uses an iPhone. The Apple logo is prominently displayed as often as possible. Both the Somewhat Baddies (the US Attorney and all of his team) and the Really Naughty Baddies (the hedge fund traders) all use Apple products exclusively. I can buy that the Really Naughty Baddies might use Apple products, but I've never been inside a government office in the US (and I've been in a few) where everyone uses a Mac computer. Bog standard Windows is all the rage. Mac is too expensive to justify

Disclosure: I own an iPhone and an iPad; my computer is a generic PC running Windows 10

frequent
August 22nd, 2018, 16:01
I’d best walk some of that back. The US Attorney uses a Dell laptop and an iPhone

arsenal
August 22nd, 2018, 20:49
'Produce' refers to farmed items, not to computers. Not even Apple ones.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Produce

paborn
August 22nd, 2018, 21:26
Aresenal, you're not implying that he meant PRODUCT placement do you? You and I, lesser beings, might have done that but not our own Idiot savant. There must be a deaper meaning that he is exposing. It is, after all, his duty to school the lesser among us. I hasten to add that I deduce this from your remark and the title of his post as I no longer read anything he writes.

arsenal
August 22nd, 2018, 21:46
So for example innapropriate produce placement would be putting a load of cabbage into an apple pie or chucking Granny Smith's (the apple variety,.not someone's beloved elder relatives) into a Chicken Kiev. I hope this clears it up for him. More examples if required.
Hahaha.

Jellybean
August 22nd, 2018, 23:28
After several weeks of wondering and trying to guess what the "P" symbol on the top right-hand corner of my TV screen meant, I eventually had to Google it.

Ah-ha! All was revealed, it simply meant product placement. Seems I wasn't the only one not in the know, see the following article from the often quoted newspaper of the OP, The Guardian. The article is dated 20 June 2011.

Product placement: P logo stands for puzzled public

More than 90% of British adults do not recognise the symbol introduced this year – despite a TV campaign to flag up the issue

More than 90% of British adults do not recognise the product placement logo introduced to programmes earlier this year to warn viewers when an advertiser has paid a broadcaster to push its wares, according to research published on Monday.

The government relaxed rules around product placement in popular TV shows in February, which some believe could create a market worth as much as £100m a year. ITV's This Morning immediately signed a deal with Nescafe to feature a coffee machine on its set.

As part of the relaxation of the rules broadcasters have to show a bold "P" logo before and after TV shows that involve product placement deals. A major TV campaign was run across the main broadcasters to raise awareness of the logo and the concept of product placement.

However research from Populus has found that 75% of more than 2,000 adults surveyed did not have a clue what the "P" product placement logo stood for when shown it.

The survey found that 11% thought the symbol related to parking, 2% thought it was some sort of pay point, and 1% thought it was related to the online payment company Paypal.

Just 9% of those surveyed correctly identified the symbol as relating to the official product placement symbol used on TV.

Ofcom's strict rules on product placement stipulate that it "must be signalled clearly, by means of a universal neutral logo ... at the beginning of the programme in which the placement appears; when the programme recommences after commercial breaks; and at the end of the programme".

Broadcasters are not allowed to run product placement in children's programming, news and current affairs, religious or consumer advice shows such as Fifth Gear and The Gadget Show. There are also restrictions on undue prominence and editorial justification.

Link to website:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jun/20/product-placement-logo

paborn
August 23rd, 2018, 00:01
You know, it never occurred to me that companies were not paying to have their products used. Apple must spend a fortune on this, but every jar of jam, mustard, etc. must pay their share as well. To me, this "P" is a little too much bureaucracy.

scottish-guy
August 23rd, 2018, 01:57
Inappropriate product placement?

Great example here (link is safe)

https://tinyurl.com/yc4x3nej

arsenal
August 23rd, 2018, 10:01
It's nothing new, it's been going on for years. The entire Ewing clan drove Mercedes. Bobby had the sports, JR the saloon and Swellin had the hideous station wagon.

latintopxxx
August 25th, 2018, 04:26
wait until trump finds out how disloyal that texas clan is/was.