PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed from those who are familiar with long-term stays.

poshglasgow
August 17th, 2018, 04:52
I am seriously considering spending the months of January and February in Pattaya.

I would be very interested to hear from those who reside here for months at a time about their favourite long-term rental venues, either condos or hotels. I, for example, favour the Venue in Jomtien.

Now, I know that I can only spend a month at time in the LOS on the airport arrival visa so can I, for example, leave Thailand at the end of January and return sometime in February with no problems for another month-long stay in Thailand?

Is there a limit on the number of times a UK citizen can enter Thailand in any given year?

Nirish guy
August 17th, 2018, 05:09
Is there not something about going to the visa office in Pattaya and getting another 30 day in country extension to your allowed time there......I did it before myself but I cant recall was it another 30 days or 2 weeks, but it was certainly doable, save you the trip to the airport perhaps. mind you a wee mid holiday break maybe isn't the worst thing anyway sometimes.

cdnmatt
August 17th, 2018, 05:34
No idea where to stay, but for immigration, just grab a double entry tourist VISA from the Thailand embassy in your country before you leave. Then you get stamped in for 60 days, which can be extended by 30 days at the Pattaya immigration office.

Plus it will be double entry, so you can leave once, hit the border again, and get stamped in for another 60 days, once again extendable by 30 days within country. Costs 1900 baht to extend by 30 days in country.

All in, you can get 6 months in Thailand on one double entry tourist VISA, and only need to leave the country once after 90 days.

gerefan2
August 17th, 2018, 05:42
I do exactly what you have in mind except I stay 90 days.

Visa. Depending on your age you can apply for either a 60 or 90 day visa PRIOR to leaving the UK. Details were on the Thai Embassy, London, website but it seems to say that the page is no longer in use.
You can leave after 1 month, a border run, either by minibus to Cambodia for a day, or longer somewhere by air.
If you go to Immigration in Jomtien you can extend the 30 day visa, but only by 14 days.
I have also seen something about getting 60 days on initial entry at the Airport but have never done it.

Accommodation. I prefer a condo for a long stay and rent at Yensabai Condo near Sunnee Plaza and Boyztown. It’s only 5 minute walk to Sunnee and 10 mins to BT.
However if Sunnee finally collapses I may move elsewhere. Additionally, you have to put up with unruly Arabs in the area. Think loud,fast motor bikes.

Anything else just ask.

arsenal
August 17th, 2018, 07:15
My advice would be to take a short flight out of Thailand for a few days half way through. This solves the visa problem, breaks up the trip and gives you the excitement of arriving in Pattaya twice. And yes, it's still fucking exciting to arrive in Pattaya.....if you do it right.

frequent
August 17th, 2018, 07:41
Assuming a stay of two months only is what you are after then a Single Entry Tourist Visa will give you 60 days which you can extend for a further 30 days is probably going to suit your needs. It's one-third the cost of a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa and has the added advantage that you can apply well in advance as you've got three months from the date of issue before it expires (ie. you have to enter Thailand before expiry). A multiple entry tourist visa expires six months after date of issue so for those who want to use it for nearly nine months in total (utilising extensions) you have to get it and then leave for Thailand the same week. Plenty of information about both short and long term tourist visas if you google "METV Thailand"

When you say "January & February" presumably you don't plan to arrive on 1 January - I'd have thought that's the worst time to be looking for accommodation of any sort

2lz2p
August 17th, 2018, 08:15
If you plan to stay only 60 days, then enter using Visa Exempt and receive a 30 day permission to stay. This can be extended a further 30 days at Thai Immigration for a fee of 1,900 baht. BUT, some airlines will not allow you to board a flight to Thailand if you do not have a visa and do not have onward airline tickets (some choose to purchase a cheap Air Asia or similar budget airline flight to a neighboring country then discard it).

However, to be sure you don't run into that problem, get a regular Tourist Visa - this permits you to stay a full 60 days and can also be extended a further 30 days for 1,900 baht fee. With a visa, you should have no problem with the airlines. But, some regular Thai Embassy/Consulates want to see proof of onward travel - go to the website for Embassy/Consulate where you plan to apply - if you use an honorary consulate, they most likely will not require such proof.

frequent
August 17th, 2018, 08:20
If you google as I suggest you'll see a couple of ways of getting a reservation for the onwards flight that you can include in your visa application without actually buying a ticket. However (I'm guessing) you will have bought a return ticket from the UK so you will already have what you need

sglad
August 17th, 2018, 10:25
I am seriously considering spending the months of January and February in Pattaya.

Now, I know that I can only spend a month at time in the LOS on the airport arrival visa so can I, for example, leave Thailand at the end of January and return sometime in February with no problems for another month-long stay in Thailand?

Is there a limit on the number of times a UK citizen can enter Thailand in any given year?

No limit as long as you're a genuine tourist. If you keep doing back-to-back visa runs then they might flag you and start asking what you're doing in Thailand especially if you're coming in through a land border.

You can get the 60-day tourist visa thing as suggested which would cover your two months (don't know how much it costs for you but it's free for us) or you can get the 30-day visa exempt/social visit pass, leave after 30 days and come back in. Plenty of interesting places to visit in SE Asia during your visa run.

gerefan2
August 17th, 2018, 10:35
posh...you say you only want to stay January and February. My calculations, and I'm not a Maths Lecturer, makes that a total of 59 days. I don't know what extending a 60 day to 90 days is all about...

As I said above, a 60 day Visa is easily obtained from the Thai Embassy in London prior to leaving the UK.

Any visits to Immigration to extend it are an absolute pain in the arse.

Simples.

sglad
August 17th, 2018, 10:39
Any visits to Immigration to extend it are an absolute pain in the arse.

Some people on this board might view that as a treat.

Moses
August 17th, 2018, 10:39

With tourist visa you can live 60+30, with Visa Exemption TH has 90/180 rule: you can live in Thailand 90 days per 180 days (if you don't have visa). Entries aren't limited.

poshglasgow
August 17th, 2018, 12:15
Many thanks to all for the valuable advice. Most helpful.

Blueskytoday
August 17th, 2018, 12:37
Thai reg's for visits are ridiculous.....Many countries NOW have visa waiver system..you can stay 90 days...exit , return same day, for another 90 days,,exit again and again..Thai needs to wake up

cdnmatt
August 17th, 2018, 14:48
Thai reg's for visits are ridiculous.....Many countries NOW have visa waiver system..you can stay 90 days...exit , return same day, for another 90 days,,exit again and again..Thai needs to wake up

As it just so happens, having a military dictatorship for nearly 5 years tends to not progress things much.

So much for the general's initial promise of having elections in 12 months after the coup.

frequent
August 17th, 2018, 15:06
Thai reg's for visits are ridiculous.....Many countries NOW have visa waiver system..you can stay 90 days...exit , return same day, for another 90 days,,exit again and again..Thai needs to wake upWhy? Where's the evidence that such a policy benefits those countries that practise it? Who are these "many" countries that, in effect, allow someone indefinite residence provided they go through the sham of exit and re-entry?

2lz2p
August 17th, 2018, 15:06
With tourist visa you can live 60+30, with Visa Exemption TH has 90/180 rule: you can live in Thailand 90 days per 180 days (if you don't have visa). Entries aren't limited.

Thailand did away with this requirement sometime ago - but some Thai Embassies/Consulates (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) still mention it. It will also pop up on some websites that have not have not been updated. In its place, if you use the land borders for Visa Exempt entry, you can only do it twice in a calendar year. There is no restriction if using airports - BUT, if the Immigration Officer (Ministry of Interior, Immigration Police) notes several past Visa Exempt entries and even Tourist Visa entries, they may want to see onward tickets, sufficient funds on hand, or in some cases will simply deny entry (Thaivisa.com has many postings by people denied entry at the airports, especially Don Maung). Thai Embassies/Consulates also require you have at least 6 months validity on your passport in order to apply for a Visa, but Immigration will allow entry provided the passport is valid for the length of stay.

francois
August 17th, 2018, 18:07
Advice by 2lz2P is the definitive response to the OP's question/post.

Old git
August 17th, 2018, 21:45
' Any visits to Immigration to extend it are an absolute pain in the arse '

I don't know about the others, but the new immigration office that opened about a year ago in Hua Hin falls over backwards to be nice to people. There's rarely much queuing, their English is good, their manners impeccable, and if you've still got a few days left on the stamp you want to extend, they'll add them on to the new one.

Basically there are two approaches to getting a tourist visa - get a 60 day one before you go, or just arrive and get a 30 day one on arrival. You can normally extend a visa once at an immigration office and then have to leave and re-enter the country. At the last count you can have up to three tourist visas in any six month period.

If you're going to stay for more than 60 days and don't want to explore the neighbouring countries, then get your visa before you leave. Otherwise have a little visa trip to break up your stay. If you go to Cambodia, remember to get some US dollars in cash before you travel - you'll need some for your visa fee when you arrive (I personally don't trust the ATMs in that country). Vietnam no longer demands a visa in advance I'm told, but I've not personally been there. Laos is quite a sweet little country with a strong French colonial influence still, but the bars close at a ridiculously early hour, and the sex trade is repressed and seedy. Burma at the last count required visas in advance for air passengers but not those crossing by land - which seemed a tad bizarre. You could also nip down to KL..

If you arrive in Thailand by a land crossing you may only get a 15 day stamp, so plan to make visa runs by air unless you only need a few days.

One final tip that caught out a friend of mine - check your passport has all its pages. A friend received a brand new British passport which was missing a couple of pages. He didn't notice anything amiss until he arrived at Bangkok and was refused entry - and had to get the next flight home.. - he was not a happy bunny!

Manforallseasons
August 17th, 2018, 22:25
Upmarket serviced apartments not too far from Jomtien Complex: http://www.royalparkjomtien.com/

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 05:05
I don't know about the others, but the new immigration office that opened about a year ago in Hua Hin falls over backwards to be nice to people ... Basically there are two approaches to getting a tourist visa - get a 60 day one before you go, or just arrive and get a 30 day one on arrival.There's the OP's answer then - don't stay in Pattaya, go to Hua Hin instead. By the way there's no such thing (for most nationalities) as a 30 day visa on arrival. What you get is a 30-day exemption from requiring a visa at all or - slightly longer explanation - you get a permission to enter Thailand for a maximum of 30 days despite the fact that you don't have a visa. The nationals of a handful of countries are required to apply for a visa on arrival as their country is not in the visa exempt list, hence the "visa on arrival" signs displayed prominently at the airport

gerefan2
August 18th, 2018, 06:46
Upmarket serviced apartments not too far from Jomtien Complex: http://www.royalparkjomtien.com/

I'm very interested. Are they boy friendly?
How much would you expect to pay per month for Electric and Water. I use air con a lot. Free where I stay.
Thanks

Blueskytoday
August 18th, 2018, 07:06
If you google visa waiver program..you will see 38 countries that the U.S. has visa waiver's with...citizens of those countries can go to USA OR Americans can go to those listed countries and stay up to 90 days visa free, leave a day ,, or longer,,and return for another 90 days, and so on.....

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 07:29
If you google visa waiver program..you will see 38 countries that the U.S. has visa waiver's with...citizens of those countries can go to USA OR Americans can go to those listed countries and stay up to 90 days visa free, leave a day ,, or longer,,and return for another 90 days, and so on.....Once yes, twice maybe, "and so on" very unlikely. I'm aware of at least one country on that list where what you are proposing would trigger alarm bells after the second or third consecutive visit, as the Immigration officer would be asking questions about means of support, intentions about return to ordinary place of residence and so on. In other words, exactly the sort of questions the Thais start asking if someone has multiple back-to-back visa exemptions or tourist visas

paborn
August 18th, 2018, 07:37
Your ability to know and predicate the actions of US immigration officials is astounding. I had thought their instructions and guidelines were delivered under secrete internaal directions. I must be wrong, however, as you never are.

arsenal
August 18th, 2018, 08:09
Our beloved freaky knows absolutely everything about everything. (LM laws excepted of course) We are indeed most fortunate to have him here as a 'go to' guy for advice on everything from turkey dinners to American immigration officials to British published media and everything inbetween. The boards Delphic Oracle. Hahaha.

arsenal
August 18th, 2018, 08:42
Realising, as I did, that we had a real gem amongst us I tried to get a special Ask Freaky forum going. However he modestly declined preferring to swoop down on unsuspecting posters to offer his precious time and thoughts on their grammar, spelling, syntax and other linguistic shortcomings. He's special.

MiniMee
August 18th, 2018, 08:58
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 09:01
Your ability to know and predicate the actions of US immigration officials is astounding. I had thought their instructions and guidelines were delivered under secrete internaal directions. I must be wrong, however, as you never are.I was referring to US immigration officials, was I? Perhaps you can quote the section where I make a statement about US Immigration?
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is kingThe trouser snake, as we all know, has only one eye

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 09:34
Our beloved freaky knows absolutely everything about everything. (LM laws excepted of course) We are indeed most fortunate to have him here as a 'go to' guy for advice on everything from turkey dinners to American immigration officials to British published media and everything inbetween.I see helping the little people as my life's work in retirement.
The boards Delphic Oracle. Hahaha indeed. Pythia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia), known as the Delphic Oracle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle) both gave wise advice and foretold the future. I'm only half an oracle.

I'm going to be very interested to see paborn's citing of chapter and verse where I say what US Immigration officials do, but I'm not holding my breath. He's got "form" when it comes to failing to understand what posters actually say. I'm tempted to add him to my Ignore list, but he probably belongs in the MFAS category

gerefan2
August 18th, 2018, 09:48
Realising, as I did, that we had a real gem amongst us I tried to get a special Ask Freaky forum going.l.

You might be onto something there.

Even better start an "ask CDMatt" about Visas" forum. I see in this topic he is giving advice about short and long term visas for Thailand.

He,who overstayed for years, got deported from Thailand, banned from re-entering, then went to Laos only to be sent back to Canada to rot.

Yes Arsenal, they are all here...

arsenal
August 18th, 2018, 09:49
You have categories? The full range if you please. You'll need a secretary here soon freaky.

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 09:51
You have categories? The full range if you please. You'll need a secretary here soon freaky.I've already said you're in the dregs

arsenal
August 18th, 2018, 10:12
But not on the ignore list. Sad arsenal.

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 10:42
But not on the ignore list. Sad arsenal.Only when I'm slumming

gerefan2
August 18th, 2018, 12:26
But not on the ignore list. Sad arsenal.

My sincere condolences.

scottish-guy
August 18th, 2018, 14:44
...start an "ask CDMatt" about Visas" forum. I see in this topic he is giving advice about short and long term visas for Thailand.

He,who overstayed for years, got deported from Thailand, banned from re-entering, then went to Laos only to be sent back to Canada to rot...

Hey anybody can make a mistake.

:mocking_mini:

scottish-guy
August 18th, 2018, 14:48
...Pythia, known as the Delphic Oracle both gave wise advice and foretold the future....

I'm guessing Arsenal must be a follower - given the amount of Pyth he comes away with.

:yahoo_mini:

frequent
August 18th, 2018, 15:06
I'm guessing Arsenal must be a follower - given the amount of Pyth he comes away with.I suspect he’s into golden showerth

Nirish guy
August 18th, 2018, 16:11
Pythia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia), known as the Delphic Oracle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle) gave wise advice......... I'm only half an oracle.

I KNEW it ! So at last you admit it that when online here that most of the time you're actually Half Pyth'd ! :-)

And don't complain as you started it your golden Showerths :)

goji
August 18th, 2018, 17:01
In some cases, airlines want to see onward flight details before checking one in. Theoretically, Thai immigration might check too.

One has not had this flying from London to BKK, as stays have so far been below 1 month. However, checks were made flying from the Philippines to KL.
If I fly to Thailand with the return about 80 days later & have a 60 day visa which could be extended, is that going to be accepted as OK when flying to and entering Thailand ?

francois
August 18th, 2018, 19:38
If you have a visa there should be no questions from airlines.

paborn
August 18th, 2018, 21:22
Correct, Airlines can be fined by the entry country and required to provide - without payment - your immediate return if you are denied entrty for reasons that they were required to check for when they checked you in.

frequent
August 19th, 2018, 07:10
I KNEW it ! So at last you admit it that when online here that most of the time you're actually Half Pyth'd ! Princess Margaret, the Queen Mother and I all have much in common

frequent
August 19th, 2018, 13:44
Your ability to know and predicate the actions of US immigration officials is astounding. I had thought their instructions and guidelines were delivered under secrete internaal directions. I must be wrong, however, as you never are.Well now paborn, you've had all the time you need to pull yourself out of your suicide dive but I see you've ignored the challenge. I guess it's all part of your "I'll avoid making a fool of myself twice in a row by acting the 5th without actually pleading it" strategy (if such a thing can be dignified as a "strategy")

Here's a quote from an official US government web site about Visa Waiver and ESTA - the two now are like conjoined twins. It's publicly available information by the way; "their instructions and guidelines" are not "delivered under secrete internal directions" - or even "secret" ones. Maybe they secrete them from their ass, which is where your thoughts appear to be secreted from

When traveling to the U.S. with the approved ESTA, you may only stay for up to 90 days at a time - and there should be a reasonable amount of time between visits so that the CBP Officer does not think you are trying to live here. There is no set requirement for how long you must wait between visits. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/~/about-the-electronic-system-for-travel-authorization-%28esta%29

paborn
August 19th, 2018, 20:34
Dear Freaky,

"I'm aware of at least one country on that list where what you are proposing would trigger alarm bells after the second or third consecutive visit, as the Immigration officer would be asking questions"

I'm aware, very aware, of our laws in this matter and they apply to all nations on the list. There is not one country that would set off these "alarm bells" any person from any country not complying with the out of country regulations would constitute an infraction.

"Maybe they secrete them from their ass, which is where your thoughts appear to be secreted from" Your intemperate words are the surest indication of your prickly attitude to all those who question you. You, in fact, exemplify: "a pseudointellectual is someone dishonestly or insincerely using the language, style, or topics of an intellectual, but who lacks the goals, morals, or the ability of a “genuine” intellectual. It is someone who acts pretentiously and wishes to win an argument or impress, rather than modestly trying to find the truth – a focus on surface and rhetoric over content. These often involve a superficial understanding of a subject and condescension to the audience, as well as possible self-delusion (not being consciously dishonest, but rather sincerely thinking oneself to be behaving as a genuine intellectual despite one's incompetence). Who needs more proof than your pompous remark:

"helping the little people as my life's work in retirement," This says all anyone needs to know about your character.

"I'm tempted to add him to my Ignore list" Please! As of this moment you are on mine - so don't expect a reply

" Pythia, known as the Delphic Oracle both gave wise advice and foretold the future." Actually, Pythia delivered oracles in a frenzied state induced by vapors rising from a chasm in the rock, and that she spoke gibberish which priests interpreted " some scholars challenge this but it remains the consensus opinion and you are, indeed, Delphic in every pronouncement you make.

By the way, don't read so much into the time it takes for me to respond, you are, perhaps, not aware of time zones. I assume this from "Well now paborn, you've had all the time you need to pull yourself out of your suicide dive but I see you've ignored the challenge. I guess it's all part of your "I'll avoid making a fool of myself twice in a row by acting the 5th without actually pleading it" strategy (if such a thing can be dignified as a "strategy")" What the hell are you ranting about?

paborn
August 19th, 2018, 20:53
Just a quick thought to others. I know there will be rants and I'm sure some of you will agree with Frequent, but I won't be reading anything he posts any longer and I thank Francois for leading me to the other board where, remarkably, even those who post here manage to stay on topic and remain polte and helpfull. I read this on that board and it says a lot;

In the Buddhist spirit of this country we all adore, consider asking yourself these questions before posting in the forum...

1. Is it kind?
2. Is it true?
3. Is it useful?

gerefan2
August 20th, 2018, 01:52
paborn...Wasn't the freak recently banned?

Consider the us of the Red Triangle if you consider yourself even remotely insulted. I find it invaluable.

paborn
August 20th, 2018, 02:49
I was told so but it had no effect whatsoever. I'm not sure if I went too far in hitting back . But, no matter I'm done reading anything he says.

pong
August 22nd, 2018, 18:47
Do that for many years now, though i mainly stay in BKK. NOTE; If you plan to do the halfway break (then you do not need any pre-visa, but do carefully note the 30 day limit then!), then DO note Chin. NwYr=around 5/2/19, which plays havock to most transport and in the nearby other countries. Probably best to simply stay put that week.
Cnmack needs to be informed that since some years Thai emb. ONLY give out single or multiple visa and no more the 2 or 3 times entry.
if this is your very first time, I would advice to be flexible a bit and not prebook any accomm for that long-it may get boring, you may want to see some other Thai places etc. Thailand is made for spontaneous travel.
If you choose one of the many gulfy cheap airlines, you may want to put in a few days stop-over at f.e. Dubai/AbuDhabi to have a look around or break up the trip. Except for the hotels this is usually free.

goji
August 23rd, 2018, 03:28
DO note Chin. NwYr=around 5/2/19, which plays havock to most transport and in the nearby other countries. Probably best to simply stay put that week.

On that thought, where is nice to stay for a week AND not particularly popular with Chinese tourists ? I'll be in SE Asia on a long stay next winter.

christianpfc
August 24th, 2018, 19:41
Burma at the last count required visas in advance for air passengers but not those crossing by land - which seemed a tad bizarre.
Where did you get that from?

I have been to Myanmar twice (in by land, out by air; in by air, out by land; visa from Myanmar embassy in Bangkok and online visa) and in all my travel and preparation I have not heard/read of this.