View Full Version : Good full American Bkfst Near Central

DrewSpz
August 4th, 2018, 03:40
Hi all,
Realize we’re sick of restaurant/ food threads... so just a few quick non- cynical answers and we can close this one off.

Can I get some full American breakfast resto- recommendations, served all day, near the Central festival area? This is Pattaya for those not aware.

arsenal
August 4th, 2018, 05:29
What exactly is a full American breakfast?

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 06:18
A hotel breakfast that includes most or all of the following: two eggs (fried or poached), sliced bacon or sausages, sliced bread or toast with jam/jelly/butter, pancakes with syrup, cornflakes or other cereal, coffee/tea, orange/grapefruit juice. Also called American style breakfast.

mahjongguy
August 4th, 2018, 07:58
There should also be potatoes in some form.

There should not be baked beans, mushrooms, nor fried tomato.

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 08:07
Quite right I forgot the potatoes. The beans would be anathama.

frequent
August 4th, 2018, 08:13
There should also be potatoes in some form. There should not be baked beans, mushrooms, nor fried tomato.Absolutely - they form part of a full English breakfast
Quite right I forgot the potatoes. The beans would be anathama.Unless you count as American some of those ghastly burrito breakfasts in Texas

gerefan2
August 4th, 2018, 08:16
Does the American have to include those ghastly sausages wrapped in condoms?

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 08:23
Absolutely - they form part of a full English breakfastUnless you count as American some of those ghastly burrito breakfasts in Texas

A full American breakfast, like English or Continental are terms used in the hotel industry. So, no

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 08:24
Does the American have to include those ghastly sausages wrapped in condoms?

The definition reads " sliced bacon OR sausages."

arsenal
August 4th, 2018, 08:39
Americans insist on calling frankfurters sausages which is a crime against the English language.

frequent
August 4th, 2018, 08:43
A full American breakfast, like English or Continental are terms used in the hotel industry. So, noHaving stayed in many, many, many hotels over the years, I've found the definition is almost entirely in the mind of the individual hotel - there are wide variations. A bit like stopover, transit, break or layover, no?

The biggest rip-off in hotel breakfasts is "the buffet". You'll pay almost twice what you would for "a la carte", and the food waste is often significant

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 08:56
No. The hotel definitions are, indeed, general - they are not law. However, the airline industry must comform to defined standards or they can not load their flight data and tariffs to booking engines. These are part of IATAN, located in Montreal. I carried an IATAN badge for 30 years - so, again, no.

StevieWonders
August 4th, 2018, 09:08
No. The hotel definitions are, indeed, general - they are not law. However, the airline industry must comform to defined standards or they can not load their flight data and tariffs to booking engines. These are part of IATAN, located in Montreal. I carried an IATAN badge for 30 years - so, again, no.Do the traveling public have to conform to these defined standards as well? I dont. Will I be denied boarding?

arsenal
August 4th, 2018, 09:19
Freaky wrote.
"The biggest rip-off in hotel breakfasts is "the buffet". You'll pay almost twice what you would for "a la carte", and the food waste is often significant"

You're taking generalisation to a new level not to mention skinflintedness.

francois
August 4th, 2018, 10:34
Americans insist on calling frankfurters sausages which is a crime against the English language.

frankfurter
noun [ C ] UK ​ /ˈfræŋk.fɜː.tər/ US ​ /ˈfræŋk.fɝː.t̬ɚ/
ipicture of frankfurter

a thin, red-brown sausage, preserved using smoke or chemicals and often eaten with bread. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/frankfurter.

The Cambridge dictionary is complicit in this crime against the English language.:mad:

arsenal
August 4th, 2018, 10:49
Few people in England will describe a frank as a sausage Francois. They're different items, a hot dog is it's usual name but feel free to go there waving your dictionary in people's faces of you choose to.

frequent
August 4th, 2018, 11:39
frankfurter
noun [ C ] UK ​ /ˈfræŋk.fɜː.tər/ US ​ /ˈfræŋk.fɝː.t̬ɚ/
ipicture of frankfurterPicture of Franknfurter:

DrewSpz
August 4th, 2018, 13:25
Thanks all :-/

francois
August 4th, 2018, 13:31
Few people in England will describe a frank as a sausage Francois. They're different items, a hot dog is it's usual name but feel free to go there waving your dictionary in people's faces of you choose to.

Few people in USA will describe a frank as a sausage, arsenal.I believe they refer to it as a hot dog.

Oh,that was the Cambridge dictionary, I believe a English dictionary?
I wasn't waving it, I was copying from it.:devilsh:

Captain Swing
August 4th, 2018, 14:23
Thanks all :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpByhHBAtS8 American Style Breakfast In Pattaya Thailand
Map & address are in the video
150 baht all you can eat and drink western food breakfast buffet. American style bacon.

Starts at 7am.
Bay Breeze Hotel - Pattaya
Address: 503/2 Pattaya 2nd Road Soi 11 Pattaya City, Chon Buri 20150
Phone: 038 428 383

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWMKDWXeTQ4
Casa Pascal has a great buffet breakfast here in Pattaya, Thailand. This restaurant is located on Second Road right across from Avani Hotel (the former Marriott). I tried almost everything they had and I was impressed by it all. The coffee was very good, the omelette was spectacular, all of the dishes were quite good. The cost is $8 however you can get a discount card if you go there seven times. The price is not a bad value considering the quality and the fact that it is all you can eat. I've seen some other breakfast buffets at hotels for around $3-$5 but the quality of the food was quite terrible. That was not the case with this place.

frequent
August 4th, 2018, 14:25
Few people in USA will describe a frank as a sausage, arsenal.I believe they refer to it as a hot dog.I've never been sure whether a hot dog = frankfurter = saveloy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saveloy). In theory many sausage-like meat products may be a healthy option for the eater, given the amount of offal they contain - brains for example (I'm excluding blood sausages such as salami from that observation)

arsenal
August 4th, 2018, 14:40
I was merely explaining to you that what the dictionary gives as a words official meaning and how it is commonly used are not necessarily the same thing. Anything other than a course cylindrical tube made with pork and seasonings will require further information in the UK. For example Toulouse sausages from France or Creole Andouille sausage from America.

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 14:58
A hotel breakfast that includes most or all of the following.... sliced bacon... sliced bread....

Having read the nitpicking fest which makes up almost this entire thread, I have to join in by saying that paborn has nailed it - I'm so fucking fed up getting an entire pig and an entire loaf on my breakfast plate that I'll opt for anywhere that serves them sliced.

Maybe even the Tarntawan (we don't hear enough about it)

:drink:

frequent
August 4th, 2018, 15:07
Maybe even the Tarntawan (we don't hear enough about it)I immediately rushed to the Tarntawan Hotel web site to see how they describe their breakfast. It's described as "breakfast". Every time I've breakfasted there I've had Thai-style bacon - grilled to a crisp - as standard. I've not found anywhere in Bangkok that serves bacon that isn't grilled to a crisp I'm afraid. I do recall that marmalade was available with one's toast - but that was under the old management; perhaps a447 can give us an update on that score?

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 15:12
Yes, and we want to know the brand of marmalade being served - is it e.g. Robertson's, Chivers, Rose's, or Tesco Lotus own label.

I have to agree on the bacon - the only place in Thailand I got bacon worthy of the name was in Palmer's.

What is routinely served up tastes like strips of mechanically recovered pork interlaced with streaks of pure fat - "cooked" (or steeped in oil) to the consistency of a wet paper towel

Nirish guy
August 4th, 2018, 16:00
[QUOTE=frequent;246982 I do recall that marmalade was available with one's toast [/QUOTE]

Actually I'd of been quite happy with marmalade but shockingly ( across thailand) I've often been given everything from strawberry to damson and even plum jam to eat with my cooked breakfast - AND half times no butter even to go along with that until I've had to ask for it ! What is wrong with these people - pure philistines the lot of them ! :)

gerefan2
August 4th, 2018, 16:44
I've not found anywhere in Bangkok that serves bacon that isn't grilled to a crisp I'm afraid.

Time you got out of that dump and visited the real world ..of Pattaya

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 19:50
Do the traveling public have to conform to these defined standards as well? I dont. Will I be denied boarding?

?????? Conform to whether the flight makes a stop or not - do you think your in a flipping taxi???????

bkkguy
August 4th, 2018, 20:25
I've not found anywhere in Bangkok that serves bacon that isn't grilled to a crisp I'm afraid.

well if we are going to drift off topic - London Pie in Ekami has some great English breakfast options with English back bacon cooked perfectly along with real English breakfast sausages, eggs any style, fried tomato, hash browns, mushrooms, baked beans, (sliced) bread and of course a mug of English Breakfast tea - breakfast is served all day as are bangers and mash and pies and many other English favorites - pork pie or Gammon, eggs and chips anyone? - and many products are also available to take home (frozen) and delivery is also available

London Pie Bangkok Menu (http://www.londonpiebangkok.com/menu/)

bkkguy

sglad
August 4th, 2018, 21:25
For similar food as above in Chiang Mai, try the UN Irish Pub on the east side of the moat in the Old City. They're particularly famous for their breads and baguettes.

www.unirishpub.com/restaurant-menu/?wppa-occur=1&wppa-cover=0&wppa-album=3&wppa-photo=259

Uranus
August 4th, 2018, 22:52

Just as people from Berlin are Berliners, Frankfurters are people from Frankfurt and Hamburgers are people from Hamburg.

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 23:16
Just as people from Berlin are Berliners, Frankfurters are people from Frankfurt and Hamburgers are people from Hamburg.

And what about the people who live in these places ?

paborn
August 5th, 2018, 00:14

Honestly Arsenal, Americans never call Frankfurters or hot dogs sausages. Sadly, many of my countrymen are too dim to make the connection. True story: recently, I was in the market and two stock boys were discussing a product they were shevling - Oscar Mayer Wieners. They were wondering about "wieners" I stopped and, rather pedanticaly, told them that Wiener was from Wien, the German for Vienna, and these could be translated as Viennese sausages. They were amazed. I love America, but there are times.....

billyhouston
August 5th, 2018, 04:12
If you're ever in Pennsylvania Dutch country, you might come across (pun intended) this place:

frequent
August 5th, 2018, 06:45
Perhaps it's apposite that I was reading (over breakfast) an article in the latest Spectator that mentioned breakfasts in New York (https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/the-perfect-way-to-spend-two-days-in-new-york/).
We like to find new breakfast venues and this time chose the Sullivan Street Bakery on W.47th Street. The utilitarian café was unexciting but the bomboloni custard doughnuts were irresistible. So were the mini bacon and egg brioches served from a display topped by a metre-long focaccia.

francois
August 5th, 2018, 10:13
. True story: recently, I was in the market and two stock boys were discussing a product they were shevling - Oscar Mayer Wieners. They were wondering about "wieners" I stopped and, rather pedanticaly, told them that Wiener was from Wien, the German for Vienna, and these could be translated as Viennese sausages. They were amazed. I love America, but there are times.....

Learn something new every day; I thought a wiener was a hot dog and so does Oscar Meier. :bo::bo:

It’s Our Mission To Put A Better Hot Dog In Every Hand
With drive, determination, and delicious high-quality meat, we made a better hot dog for all.
We cut out artificial preservatives, added nitrates and nitrites* and by-products, leaving room for more of the high-quality taste you love.

frequent
August 5th, 2018, 10:38
Learn something new every day; I thought a wiener was a hot dogAlso slang for a penis (https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/wiener/), francois. Expressions are confusing though. I had always thought that the phrase "take a dump (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Take%20a%20dump)" meant to have a shit. I was therefore confused watching one of the American Pie movies when a female character moaned that no one had yet taken a dump on her chest. She meant, I finally realised, that no one had cum on her tits

mr giggles
August 7th, 2018, 14:33
Hi all,
Realize we’re sick of restaurant/ food threads... so just a few quick non- cynical answers and we can close this one off.

Can I get some full American breakfast resto- recommendations, served all day, near the Central festival area? This is Pattaya for those not aware.

Oh yes, that's what I've always wanted; to fly over 8000 miles to the land of beautiful food, to get an American breakfast!

:bo:

francois
August 7th, 2018, 15:45
Or maybe worse an English breakfast. :bo:

arsenal
August 7th, 2018, 15:52
Not everyone wants to dip croissants in coffee for breakfast Francois. An English gentleman likes to repose himself with excellent nourishment and a morning read of the papers before dealing with the important affairs of the day.

Nirish guy
August 7th, 2018, 16:03
If you're ever in Pennsylvania Dutch country, you might come across (pun intended) this place:

Ah yes, good old INTERCOURSE, I've been there - and the only "ride" I got was on a bloody vintage steam train ! Boy was I mis-sold the whole point of THAT trip !!! Not surprisingly after leaving there with no sex we then proceeded to the next town on up the road which was called BLUE BALLS ! Which was very apposite ! :-) I also stayed in Beach Bottom but the guys there had anything but unfortunately.......mind you I did meet up and corrupt a few hot Amish guys ( with alcohol unfortunately and nothing else) who were strangely hot with their raw natural muscles and bodies which were to die for at times ........well, once you got them slightly closer to a shower perhaps......but hot none the less.....saying that, that whole hot and sweaty outdoor raw sex thing.....hmmm yeah, that would have worked I think just for something different perhaps :)

And before anyone tells me off for trying ( and half succeeding ) in corrupting those good religious people I can assure you from first hand conversations after church on sundays the guy and girls retire to the barns on a sunday to relax and they're not just as straight laced holy as they'd perhaps like us to think perhaps...... although to be fair I'm not sure if it was girls or cows that the guy who told me that while we were sitting drinking was actually talking about maybe ! :)

frequent
August 7th, 2018, 16:27
And before anyone tells me off for trying ( and half succeeding ) in corrupting those good religious people I can assure you from first hand conversations after church on sundays the guy and girls retire to the barns on a sunday to relax and they're not just as straight laced holy as they'd perhaps like us to think perhaps...... although to be fair I'm not sure if it was girls or cows that the guy who told me that while we were sitting drinking was actually talking about maybe ! :)I do remember a documentary ten or twelve years ago where, as I recall, young Amish were sent away in groups to sow their wild oats, sexually and in every other way, before they returned home, settled down, and bred. Thanks to Mr Google I've found a reference to the event, if not the documentary I recall. The event is called rumspringa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WD1SFk-IBU)

Nirish guy
August 7th, 2018, 16:31
Yep, they've got I guess like a gap year, can go away and live as they please ( within reason) BUT at the end of that period it's decision time, either come back home and settle into the Amish way of life "properly" OR don't and leave the family and go over to the dark side ( no not in Pattaya - but perhaps ! :). )

I'm not sure just how harsh that line is about never seeing family again etc, but I'm thinking it's quite a definite line and a decision does have to be made. Saying that I drank with plenty of Amish guys who both had and HADN"T decided to leave so I guess like everything in life the rules say one thing and life itself then has a way of working around that when it suits. And likewise I was in a few Amish houses where there's no phones etc as per their rules BUT they had a phone in a small shed next to the house ! Or likewise there was no electric as per the rules......BUT they had a fridge running off gas etc etc, this was all the younger Amish families I visited, the older one were sticking to the rules "religiously" ....saying that the phone thing in the shed was quite common.

I would add though that even the younger families which their fridges etc where sticking to the general gist of the rules and were living an Amish life and their get arounds were more just practical than an attempt to overthrow the system. I would also add that dining at one of the older families houses was one of the best dining experiences I think I have EVER had, the food just tasted amazingly good ( and fresh of course) and the welcome I got was second to none.......mind you I was tempering that with answering questions from 22 year old guys about "Ireland, ......ah yes, that's neat Africa isn't it?" and when I asked then where they thought Africa actually was it was apparent they'd no idea about that either......HOWEVER the same guys owned a barn out back with over a half a million quids worth of tobacco ??? ( crops perhaps but I think he said tobacco ?) hanging up drying in it for onward sale - so, daft about some things they may be but they're certainly not stupid - and lovely company too I might add, my visit to the several Amish families I know there are something I'll not forget in a long time.

Ha see, who says this board doesn't cover a wealth of topics sometimes and it's not all just bar and boy prices :)

frequent
August 7th, 2018, 16:35
Yep, they've got I guess like a gap year, can go away and live as they please ( within reason) BUT at the end of that period it's decision time, either come back home and settle into the Amish way of life "properly" OR don't and leave the family and go over to the dark side ( no not in Pattaya - but perhaps ! :). I'm not sure just how harsh the line is about never seeing family again etc, but I'm thinking it's quite a definite line and a decision does have to be made. Saying that I drank with plenty of Amish guys who both had and HADN"T decided to leave so I guess like everything in life the rules say one thing and life itself then has a way of working around that when it suits.You and I should be careful else francois will be along in his self-appointed role of prefect to tell us how far we've strayed from the topic. Talking of prefects, have you watched either Helix Academy 1 or 2?

Nirish guy
August 7th, 2018, 16:41
No, cant say I have.

frequent
August 7th, 2018, 16:57
No, cant say I have.The endings are predictably happy

dab69
August 7th, 2018, 16:57
<iframe width="1280" height="960" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3L8h8rKvAGI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

hehe.

he said weiner...

francois
August 7th, 2018, 18:48
Ha see, who says this board doesn't cover a wealth of topics sometimes and it's not all just bar and boy prices :)

I enjoyed reading your diversion from the topic, Irish guy. How and why you engulfed yourself in Amish culture would make interesting topic for another post.

francois
August 7th, 2018, 18:53
Not everyone wants to dip croissants in coffee for breakfast Francois. An English gentleman likes to repose himself with excellent nourishment and a morning read of the papers before dealing with the important affairs of the day.

My ideal breakfast is coffee.

Nirish guy
August 7th, 2018, 19:38
I enjoyed reading your diversion from the topic, Irish guy. How and why you engulfed yourself in Amish culture would make interesting topic for another post.

I'll do that......

Jellybean
August 8th, 2018, 02:08

I'll do that......

Further to the above two quotes by françois and NIrish-guy, if you are interested and have not yet read the fascinating account by NIrish-guy about the time he spent with the Amish community, it can be found on the Everything Else forum using the following link: https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?20161-The-Amish-(-no-sex-involved-for-those-who-dont-wish-to-read-on)